The Paradoxical Commandments

Talk about anything in here.

The Paradoxical Commandments

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 am

An interesting way to see things which probably fits in the world of today.

http://www.paradoxicalcommandments.com/
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Gee, those are... encouraging... XD
Though I don't disagree, I find it disenheartening. There is no point. DO IT ANYWAYS!! n.n The black text focuses only on the negative, which gets the point across, but that isn't always the case.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby rocklobster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 pm

I've seen this on my Aunt Paula's fridge. It's also a country song, if I recall. I think it's very true
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Furen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Though it does sound horrible, I kinda liked it, it's like saying
People will hate you, love them anyway... WAIT a miniute
didn't someone say that in the past, like that... Jesus maybe...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Furen (post: 1462696) wrote:Though it does sound horrible, I kinda liked it, it's like saying
People will hate you, love them anyway... WAIT a miniute
didn't someone say that in the past, like that... Jesus maybe...

It may not be the most encouraging advice ever listed, and it is perhaps a pretty cynical way of looking at things, but it Jesus did it knowing full well how things were going to go.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Furen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1462706) wrote:It may not be the most encouraging advice ever listed, and it is perhaps a pretty cynical way of looking at things, but it Jesus did it knowing full well how things were going to go.

I didn't say He said it to be cynical or negative, but I was saying it's not the only time that doing what's right comes with a cost.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Hansha » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 pm

I think Mother Theresa said this and at the end she says

"because it's between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."

or something like that.
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby ADXC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 pm

I find these very much helpful and they were spot on.

If someone is frightened by what these lines said, then maybe they should either grasp that this is what the world will do to Christians or simply not be a Christian because this is pretty much what the Bible entails.

Remember, "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses." Proverbs 27:6 NIV.
ADXC

Postby ich1990 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't like them.

The problem is that these aren't presented with any sort of reason behind them. There is no higher plan for doing what they say. The author just insists "because I told you too". If this was coupled with a proper "meaning of life" philosophy it would be fine, but taken by themselves the conclusion becomes laughable. It is like Existentialism's "work out your own life's meaning" without all of the self-reflection. If we are to take the above as truth, why not expand the ruleset?

"There will always be overpopulation"
[color="Red"]Run over people anyway.[/color]

"People will always be richer than you"
[color="Red"]Steal from them anyway.[/color]

etc.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby KougaHane » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Those are inspiring, I'm sharing them with friends now.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:08 am

ich1990 (post: 1462716) wrote:I don't like them.

The problem is that these aren't presented with any sort of reason behind them. There is no higher plan for doing what they say. The author just insists "because I told you too". If this was coupled with a proper "meaning of life" philosophy it would be fine, but taken by themselves the conclusion becomes laughable. It is like Existentialism's "work out your own life's meaning" without all of the self-reflection. If we are to take the above as truth, why not expand the ruleset?

etc.

I think the author had some implied set of values/virtues that are timeless. Maybe he saw some people in our modern era shying away from these values (honesty, doing good, loving people, helping people, etc) because they seemed too hard, but he says to continue persevering with them anyway, because they're still worth it. But it's almost as though the explanation of these values are beyond the scope of this piece of writing.
I makes sense to me....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:14 am

etc.

You have to think of it this way. In this world, sometimes immediate results will not be given to you when you want them to, and some actions will be ignored by man but seen by God.

Also, what it points out was that Jesus did it Anyway (which is the title of the book). It has a realsitic view that if one expects doing good all the time will always be easy and appreciated by everyone, then one will be dissapointed rather quickly.

There is probably more to it than that in the book, but the main objective is to point out what might happen and what you should do when you get less than wanted results.

Sapphire225

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:25 am

"The merchants will just be back in the Court of the Gentiles next year."

[color="Red"]Make a whip and drive 'em out anyway.[/color]

XD Jesus did it anyway!

(Gomen! Gomen! [sorry] I couldn't resist, that set-up was just too awsome! XD)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 am

I personally found that list rather inspiring and true. Makes perfectly logical sense to me anyway.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Syreth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:58 am

Because they're presented as a gimmick and not as a philosophical treatise. In order to find out the "higher plan" according to Mr. Keith, you would probably have to buy his book.
Syreth

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Syreth wrote:you would probably have to buy his book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Syreth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:43 pm

I remember that show! lol *runs to check various online TV sources*
Syreth

Postby TheMewster » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:13 pm

I absolutely love those! God bless the guy who made them!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:15 pm

etc.

Well... the author is already presupposing an ethic of Christian love, right? Love asks us to love for the sake of love, yes?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ich1990 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1463189) wrote:Well... the author is already presupposing an ethic of Christian love, right? Love asks us to love for the sake of love, yes?

I didn't get that, but I guess it probably says so in his book.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1463189) wrote:Well... the author is already presupposing an ethic of Christian love, right? Love asks us to love for the sake of love, yes?

This... This exactly. The reason there isn't the deep expanding on these topics here is because it's just a summary of what we should do as Christians, and similar statements have been made by Jesus. The difference is that the entirety of the backing for these statements is all there in the Manual. Meaning the Bible, not whatever book this person is pedaling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:The difference is that the entirety of the backing for these statements is all there in the Manual. Meaning the Bible, not whatever book this person is pedaling.

Are you saying people can't write books on theology and love because the Bible exists or something? Why so cynical that you think this guy is just doing it out of greed? Do you think C.S. Lewis wrote his books for money?

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Nate (post: 1463217) wrote:Are you saying people can't write books on theology and love because the Bible exists or something? Why so cynical that you think this guy is just doing it out of greed? Do you think C.S. Lewis wrote his books for money?

Sorry... I didn't mean he can't sell his book or that he's doing it out of greed, though I was cynical when I said it. I'm more cynical about the general state of theology / Christian self-help books that try to be answers instead of pointing to them. I will say that people's books on Theology can only go so far, even C.S. Lewis. As long as they admit upfront, clearly, and repeatedly that they're not the answer and they could be wrong, I've got no problem with Theology books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't like C.S. Lewis personally, but I was using him as an example since he seems to be so popular within Christianity. XD

Okay, I understand where you're coming from a bit, then. I haven't read his book so I obviously don't know what's in it.

Nate

Postby TheMewster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't know what to think on the issue of Theology books. I'm actually pretty open to see what they say as long as they're Christian :).
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 pm

TheMewster (post: 1466197) wrote:I don't know what to think on the issue of Theology books. I'm actually pretty open to see what they say as long as they're Christian :).

That's good, but be forwarned that not all Christian Theology books speak the truth.

Sapphire225

Return to General