What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Finished Rangers Apprentice book two: The Burning Bridge. It was hard to put down. John Flanagan is one of my new favorite writers.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Kaori » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:56 am

As of last weekend, finally finished reading Works of Love by Kierkegaard. Some chapters in this latter half of the book were better than others, and I didn’t feel that the chapters at the very end were the strongest ones in the book—there were other parts that I found more moving. Nevertheless, the book as a whole was in turns beautifully poetic, psychologically insightful, and deeply profound.

Also recently finished reading something I’ve been working on for even longer, which is the first volume of Twelve Kingdoms: 月の影 影の海(上)For those familiar with the Tokyopop translation, this is the first half of Sea of Shadow (I don’t understand why Tokyopop chose to translate only the second half of the title, but oh well). The author puts the main character through a series of trying events that bring all of her flaws and evils to the surface. It is kind of like opening an infected wound; her problems were there lurking under the surface all along, but the things that happen to her bring those things to light (and in some cases exacerbate them). The resulting downward spiral is pretty fascinating. As a note on translation, I checked my understanding of the book with a fan translation by Eugene Woodbury; I strongly dislike the Tokyopop translation for a variety of reasons, but Woodbury has some errors here and there, too, so there isn’t really a translation I can recommend as being particularly good. I suppose if forced to choose between the two, I would choose Woodbury, though.

Next up, I have begun rereading The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, which is a straightforward and easy read compared to Kierkegaard.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:01 am

Starting Airman by Eoin Colfer.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Masquerade1412 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Only You Can Save Mankind, the first in Terry Pratchett's "Johnny Maxwell" trilogy.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Finished Henry V - sooo boring....

Onto Hamlet! I've never read it before, so I'm really excited!
Atria35

Postby Edward » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Just finished Elantris, and I will now begin reading either The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett or a collection of vampire stories written by A. Conan Doyle that I got for Christmas.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby That Dude » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Just starting "Stone Of Tears" by Terry Goodkind.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 am

I started reading Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden. She's my favorite Warcraft author, and Arthas was my favorite character in the human campaign of Warcraft 3, so I'm excited :grin:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

The Rolling Bootlegs by Ryohgo Narita

Not much to comment here, other than that it's awesome. I was surprised, however, at how much material didn't make it to the anime, yet the anime still told the story really well. Inspector Edward's character is cut, along with some other small stuff, yet the adaptation didn't suffer for it. I'd been thinking about how Brains Base seems to only make adaptations, but props to them for such a fantastic one that they can cut so much and still make it amazing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nami » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1460088) wrote:I started reading Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden. She's my favorite Warcraft author, and Arthas was my favorite character in the human campaign of Warcraft 3, so I'm excited :grin:

AWESOME BOOK! I got it for my... er... 18th birthday? Something like that, maybe 19.. but I can't remember. Prolly 19. It is an awesome read. Good for any Warcraft fan. ^_^

Bram Stoker's Dracula I've been dying to read this book and I finally purchased it from Borders, it was a long drive, but I was there already and so I went shoppin'! :3 OOOH! I'm so excited, I think I'll read it at night to increase the thrill.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:45 pm

I read Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic and am now reading The Light Fantastic. Very entertaining books,different from the later Diskworld stuff I've read, kind of like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the same sort of absurd, situations survived by crazy happenstance.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Just started The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Just jumped in on 'The Player of Games' by Iain M. Banks, and I'm loving it so far.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Finished Odd Girl Out by Timothy Zahn. Not sure if I like it enough to track down the first two books and sequel (s?). But it was good. I mean, it held my attention for 380 pages. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Last week, I finished The Stand. It was an all-right book overall; slow in parts (as expected - it's almost 1200 pages long, after all), with some great bits between them, with some positively fascinating characters that populate it (Nick, Mother Abigail, the Trashcan Man and Randall, in particular).

I also read In Great Waters by Kit Whitfield, a writer I found on the Internet, making intelligent comments on something or other. The book was about mermaids. And alternate history. It was...a bit above average, I guess. I'm not really into royal/fantasy romances, which is what it ended up being, and the ending was pretty disappointing, but the world she built was top-notch. 3.5/5 stars.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Edward » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Just started reading The Way of Kings today.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:11 am

Started Mistborn last night.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Finished the fourth Ranger's Apprentice: The Icebound Land.

[spoiler]It was kinda unfullfilling. Nothing major got resolved. It was more like, "and this is what happened between book 2 and 4". XD Still good, though.[/spoiler]

FllMtl Novelist

Postby That Dude » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:06 pm

rocklobster (post: 1461815) wrote:Started Mistborn last night.

You'll have to let me know how it is, I've been interested in reading it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:11 pm

That Dude (post: 1461918) wrote:You'll have to let me know how it is, I've been interested in reading it.

I've already read it- Personally, I love the series. The ending is a little.... Well, it works for some (I thought it worked out decently), but others don't care fore it.
Atria35

Postby That Dude » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Atria35 (post: 1461924) wrote:I've already read it- Personally, I love the series. The ending is a little.... Well, it works for some (I thought it worked out decently), but others don't care fore it.

I glanced through it, but I wasn't sure whether or not I'd like it. But it seemed to have a really neat concept.
That Dude

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:46 am

I've started reading To Kill a Mockingbird aloud to my sisters, since both my sister and I have to read it for school. I read it in eighth grade, but forgot all about it. It's pretty fun so far - funny, and fun to read the dialect. Not sure what I think of it yet, though.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:51 pm

I just finished Mr. Monster by Dan Wells, the sequel to I Am Not A Serial Killer. Like it's predecessor, it is also AWESOME. Maybe even better. o_o

I can't wait for the last book to come! >_<

FllMtl Novelist

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Finished Player of Games last night. Awesome book.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:26 pm

I have a bad habit of book tag so I'm reading several things right now. I'm reading Market Liberalism: A paradigm for the 21st century, A Woman Rides the Beast, Ecumenical Jihad, and 1894.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Finished Equal Rites by Tery Prachette, and am starting Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. I've also been reading Hamlet for my Shakespeare class. Man, he's so whiney! Just kill the guy already!

EDIT: Finished Leviathan (awesome!), and now am onto Throne of Jade.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 am

Will be starting The Well of Ascension, part 2 of the Mistborn trilogy today or tomorrow.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Just finished "Dave Barry Does Japan." The more you know about both Japan and Dave Barry, the funnier it it. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Finished Terry Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind. The concept is something like the movie The Last Starfighter. There's also a very strong anti-war message which ordinarily would put me off, but Pratchett handles it well, making the story entertaining and the characters endearing. I really liked it and will definitely read the other two books in the Johnny Maxwell trilogy.

Moved from there directly on to The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, a Discworld spin-off also by Terry Pratchett. By "spin-off," I mean it's set on the Discworld, but features none of the regular/semi-regular characters. So far it's classic Pratchett: witty, entertaining and slyly thought-provoking.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner