Threads: Flowing Conversations?

Talk about anything in here.

Threads: Flowing Conversations?

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:19 pm

I've seen a few complaints about this recently, and it got me curious as to what people think a thread should be. I've always been of the opinion that threads will naturally flow around the topic, while also talking about related ones. It has recently become clear to me that some people create threads with very specific intentions, though. So:

Should a thread be allowed to move and flow wherever it may?

Or

Should a thread stick very closely to the intentions of the original poster?

Or

Something else (please explain).
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm

I think natural flow is best. We all have such different opinions and ideas about topics that it seems like sheer tyranny to lock a thread into one incredibly specific box. Strong restrictions do a boring thread make.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm

This thread reminds me of a holiday i spent with my family in Springfield back in ’53. The holiday was Broom Tuesday and the whole town celebrated with a marathon game of checkers, which in those days were called buckets.

My opponent was about to trounce my last bucket when I distracted him by pointing out the embiggening line up over at the kissing booth, which is what we called port-o-potties back then. As he turned his head I pulled the old switcharoo on him. A switcheroo was what we called hats back in those days and I had squirrelled 3 extra buckets in my switcheroo for just this kind of situation. I quickly dropped those buckets into strategic places all over board, and as he turned back around to complain about his tiny bladder I crowed ‘Swedish Pants’ which was the popular term for ‘check mate’. Which brings me back to my original point.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:37 pm

See, what'd I tell you? This thread is not boring at all.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree with Yuki-Anne, go with the flow. It annoys me to no end when people complain that the thread is getting off topic. There is still plenty of interesting conversation going on that still ties into the original thread to begin with so why does it matter? I'm obviously not a people person...I get annoyed so easily.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm

If a thread cannot flow naturally while staying within the intentions of the original poster, then the original poster made a bad thread.
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Yay multiple voting Image

Should a thread be allowed to move and flow wherever it may?

My honest opinion is that I think there's nothign wrong with going with the flow. Sometimes, a topic does go a little off course (or something relating to it), but I also think it should go back to the original starter ^^ If everyone goes too off topic, it becomes a totally new topic.. Or, something close to a new topic ^_^

Should a thread stick very closely to the intentions of the original poster?

This should depend on the OP really ^_^ At times, the OP has a specific question and that will never be answered if others are talking about something else ^^

Something else (please explain).

Pherhaps a compromise ^_^? Not sure what that may be, but I'll get back to you on this one lol

Any suggestions would be welcomed ^_^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I think threads should flow, but not be derailled intentionally. If the original point was hashed out satisfactorily, then flow keeps it alive.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Furen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

blkmage (post: 1462446) wrote:If a thread cannot flow naturally while staying within the intentions of the original poster, then the original poster made a bad thread.
[SIZE="1"]Agreed[/SIZE]
100%
22%
22%
Weird, it's like it adds up to 12*12...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

blkmage wrote:If a thread cannot flow naturally while staying within the intentions of the original poster, then the original poster made a bad thread.

Do you feel that this maybe puts other posters to less accountability?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Furen (post: 1462456) wrote:[SIZE="1"]Agreed[/SIZE]
100%
22%
22%
Weird, it's like it adds up to 12*12...

Hahaha
Sorry I had to spoil that.

Flow can be good if you're trying to demonstrate a point, but I think it's good to finish making the point, ending the tangent and getting back on the original topic. I don't want to go to a thread named "Anime Convention" and find people exchanging recipes. I can see how it'd be related, but the tangent shouldn't make others feel like their talking out-of-place if they decide to post on the original topic in the middle of a conversation about dark-chocolate cake. Am I making anyone hungry yet? jk :dance:
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby shooraijin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 pm

The only things I ask as a moderator is that, whatever the discussion is, it should be earnest, serious and civil, and that if I or another mod stipulate that the discussion should or shouldn't go in a certain direction, that it be followed.

Otherwise, I find threads very organic things and topics similarly fluid. I'm not too interested in pursuing strict topicality except as a means to keeping a thread out of hot territory.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Okami » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 am

shooraijin (post: 1462597) wrote:The only things I ask as a moderator is that, whatever the discussion is, it should be earnest, serious and civil, and that if I or another mod stipulate that the discussion should or shouldn't go in a certain direction, that it be followed.

Otherwise, I find threads very organic things and topics similarly fluid. I'm not too interested in pursuing strict topicality except as a means to keeping a thread out of hot territory.

On the board I moderate, I tend to follow the same sort of guidelines. It sort of carries over as a member here, that I look at the flow of a conversation and watch it take its place. (I'll often find myself lurking in certain threads, not that I don't have anything to say or that I can't keep up, but because I'm so interested in what others have to say about the topic at hand!)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Return to General