Finally Going Back to Church!

Talk about anything in here.

Finally Going Back to Church!

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:30 pm

So tomorrow I should finally be going back to church! I don't know why I feel the need to post a thread about this, I guess I'm just excited. It's been about 8 years since I've stepped foot in one! I'm also pretty nervous though. I know, it doesn't make any sense to be afraid of going to church. I guess I'm just afraid the people there won't like me and will judge me and my mother. I'm still very sensitive being new to Christianity and all, ok so I'm just overly sensitive to begin with... Whenever someone doesn't agree with me on some of my beliefs and acts all judgmental towards me I feel really bad inside. I just hope I'll be accepted is all. It probably doesn't help that I'm pretty anti-social either. I have mini anxiety attacks whenever I know I have to meet new people.

Meanwhile, ignoring my strange issues for now, since I have been away from church for so long I guess I don't really know what to expect. I have a terrible memory and can't remember much about my younger years there, we are returning to my childhood church. Is there anything I should be looking out for? Any advice anyone can give me? Lol, I know, I probably seem like a weirdo right now.

Edit: Also, while I'm at it, I'm a bit confused. There appears to be three different services.

8:30 AM Traditional Worship Service in the Chapel
9:30 AM Sunday School for All Ages
10:00 AM Celebration (Contemporary) Service

Does anyone know what each of these means? Like which one should I be going to? My mom insist on the 10:00, I guess because she doesn't want to get up to early. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Peanut » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:51 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1461938) wrote:Edit: Also, while I'm at it, I'm a bit confused. There appears to be three different services.

8:30 AM Traditional Worship Service in the Chapel
9:30 AM Sunday School for All Ages
10:00 AM Celebration (Contemporary) Service

Does anyone know what each of these means? Like which one should I be going to? My mom insist on the 10:00, I guess because she doesn't want to get up to early. xD

Actually it looks like there are only two. I'd suggest the 10 AM one unless you like Hymns.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Peanut's right. The traditional style usually means they have hymns for worship.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Dante » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Yes, 10AM is going to be geared more towards your age group, like Christian Rock. Traditional will just be singing hymns (maybe with an organ if you're lucky) that are... well... traditional (they date back to Martin Luther if I'm correct). But yeah, contemporary is better. And if you don't like it there, if you're looking for a church, there are others... most are rather similar... but there are others.
Dante

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Hymns dating back to Martin Luther? Possibly. Our traditional Lutheran churches have hymnals with some songs dating back to 900AD. Yeah. Makes Shakespeare seem easy-to-read.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Oh alright, thanks guys. 10:00 it is then!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Don't worry about people judging you. Churches generally WANT new people to come to them!

But don't worry if you don't think that the church you've chosen isn't necessarily for you- that's okay, and something that even seasoned churchgoers deal with. There's always another church.
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 pm

I hope everything goes well for you!!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby aliveinHim » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:09 pm

That's amazing that you're going back to church! I love church, I'm sure you will too!
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Dante » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:04 pm

So how did it go?
Dante

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:17 pm

To say the least, awkward. The website had the wrong times posted and we walked in half-way through a service. It was so embarrasing! Apparantly the times are 9:30 - 10:30 for Contemperary and 11 - 12 for traditional. Me and my mother noticed the service was already started before we even entered the building because we could hear the singing. We stood outside with a loss as for what to do, looking around despretly to see if we could find signs posted anywhere with the times. A lady came out and got us and told us to join them even though we where late. They claimed we weren't late and it was fine, but come on man. It started at 9:30. We got there at around 10.

None the less, as I said, I haven't been to church in 8 years so I wasn't sure what to expect. There was a lot of singing and I kind of stood there awkwardly because I'm very shy and I don't like singing. It's worshipping God so I know I need to. I'll try harder next time. I panicked at first because I thought it was all singing. After about 2 songs we sat down and then we did this thing where some people where asking for a prayer, someone wrote it down and then we all prayed together. Then the pastor gave her service. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. That wasn't a problem at all. I'm just an awkward person. Anyway, we are going to try the traditional this coming weekend to see which we like better.

TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:22 pm

^ Nothing says that you HAVE to sing. Don't if you don't want to. I know that I can't sing- I don't bother because I want the people next to me to like me.

But you might want to inform someone that the times are wonrg- there might have been other people put off by that.
Atria35

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:29 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1462161) wrote:To say the least, awkward. The website had the wrong times posted and we walked in half-way through a service. It was so embarrasing! Apparantly the times are 9:30 - 10:30 for Contemperary and 11 - 12 for traditional. Me and my mother noticed the service was already started before we even entered the building because we could hear the singing. We stood outside with a loss as for what to do, looking around despretly to see if we could find signs posted anywhere with the times. A lady came out and got us and told us to join them even though we where late. They claimed we weren't late and it was fine, but come on man. It started at 9:30. We got there at around 10.

None the less, as I said, I haven't been to church in 8 years so I wasn't sure what to expect. There was a lot of singing and I kind of stood there awkwardly because I'm very shy and I don't like singing. It's worshipping God so I know I need to. I'll try harder next time. I panicked at first because I thought it was all singing. After about 2 songs we sat down and then we did this thing where some people where asking for a prayer, someone wrote it down and then we all prayed together. Then the pastor gave her service. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. That wasnt a problem at all. I'm just an awkward person. Anyway, we are going to try the traditional this coming weekend to see which we like better.

I know "Seasoned" church goers that still come to services late, I wouldn't worry about it ^_^/

Glad it was a decently okay experience!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Don't stress yourself about singing. If you don't know the words or just don't want to sing, take that time to focus on the message of the lyrics and the voices around you. You can still worship that way :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Well, if they were operating on CST (Church standard time) you probably arrived just after they started. XD
About the singing bit, I've attended church my whole life and I don't sing a lot of the songs. It hurts my throat if I really try to do it right, and even then I sound awful! So to remedy that I play bass for one of the worship teams and work in the sound booth. XD

Kitsune wrote:I know "Seasoned" church goers that still come to services late
Yeah yeah yeah, that's just a polite way of calling us "Old and salty". XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:53 pm

:lol: Ok, thanks everyone. I feel a little better now. I'm interested in seeing what it will be like next week. The people all seemed so nice and friendly. Though I'm not sure if the same people will be there or not considering we'll be going to a different service. Lol, it was kind of funny. Me and my mom hid in the back and during the break everyone was coming up to us to shake our hands and say hi. We're so anti-social. xD

TopazRaven

Postby Lynna » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:08 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1462161) wrote: Then the pastor gave her service.

Oh cool! It was a Female Pastor then? I must confess, having been to the same church for most of my life, I've never seen one XD
Anyways, Don't worry about being late! Just today, we were having a potluck, and we came late, and nearly everyone else had finished eating XD We actually feel very accomplished when we come to church on time
Hope next week goes well too!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Thank you! Yep, a woman pastor! I thought that was pretty cool to. We did go to a Methodist church and from what I hear they are fine with women pastors. I know some churchs don't like that.

TopazRaven

Postby Dante » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:46 pm

There was a lot of singing and I kind of stood there awkwardly because I'm very shy and I don't like singing. It's worshipping God so I know I need to.

No - that's not true at all. There is nothing saying that you have to sing, and I sometimes sit songs out just to watch people's expressions (can be rather enlightening at times). If you're singing and don't feel comfortable with it because it's "not you", then to sing would be placing a false offering of happiness before God.

In my own thoughts on the topic, what if you're depressed and hate your life at the moment and go into Church and sing, "I'm so happy to be alive ect. ect." you'd be doing nothing more then lying to God. One of the bad parts of large congregations is that you'll be made to feel uncomfortable that everyone else is singing a song and you don't want to. But you should take as a point of pride to sing when you feel the song speaks to you - because that way you're actually singing what you feel and that's true worship from your heart and not simply meaningless gruntings from your mouth that may outright contradict your heart.
Dante

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm

TopazRaven wrote:Yep, a woman pastor!

Based solely on this and no other information I immediately approve of this church 100%.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Okami » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1462168) wrote:I know "Seasoned" church goers that still come to services late, I wouldn't worry about it ^_^/

Indeed! My best friend and her sister almost always arrive half-way through the first or second song. They've been believers far longer than I have lol :sweat:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Nate (post: 1462222) wrote:Based solely on this and no other information I immediately approve of this church 100%.

It was pretty cool. She was a nice, funny old lady to. :D

TopazRaven

Postby Furen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1462178) wrote:Yeah yeah yeah, that's just a polite way of calling us "Old and salty". XD

That's what the Seasoned is for Mo, remember, if salt loses it's flavor, how can it be seasoned?

Also on the topic of singing, I find you can't hear the people around you anyway (maybe cause I sing loud, even though I'm not the greatest singer...)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby MrKrillz0r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Oh I know the "Going to church even though you haven't been there in ages" feeling.

I happy you had a great experience, so was mine! I'm kinda anti social and stuff as well, so I still haven't talked to a lot of people although I've been attending there for like half a year. *Church five*
MrKrillz0r

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Although I can't recall a time I haven't been actively going to church, I can relate since we moved a few times and went to different churches, it was akward, especially when we went to my aunt's church (I forgot their denomination, but they believed that woman shouldn't wear pants so wearing a dress was...different, to say the least).

When I go to church, I don't sing either because I not really a singer. I'm pretty sure the people around me value their hearing.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:37 pm

MrKrillz0r (post: 1462402) wrote:Oh I know the "Going to church even though you haven't been there in ages" feeling.

I happy you had a great experience, so was mine! I'm kinda anti social and stuff as well, so I still haven't talked to a lot of people although I've been attending there for like half a year. *Church five*

Lol, church five! That's awesome. xD I'm glad you managed to find a nice church to. Happy I'm not the only anti-social Christian.

Furen (post: 1462248) wrote:That's what the Seasoned is for Mo, remember, if salt loses it's flavor, how can it be seasoned?

Also on the topic of singing, I find you can't hear the people around you anyway (maybe cause I sing loud, even though I'm not the greatest singer...)

Trust me, I can't sing and I honestly don't like singing. I'd rather just read along with the lyrics in my head and hum or something. :lol:

Sapphire225 (post: 1462412) wrote:Although I can't recall a time I haven't been actively going to church, I can relate since we moved a few times and went to different churches, it was akward, especially when we went to my aunt's church (I forgot their denomination, but they believed that woman shouldn't wear pants so wearing a dress was...different, to say the least).

When I go to church, I don't sing either because I not really a singer. I'm pretty sure the people around me value their hearing.

Aw, I'm sure you're not that bad! Can't be any worse then me. Well, in least I'm not the only one who doesn't sing then. :D

TopazRaven

Postby Saiya~Jin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 pm

I hope you enjoy/enjoyed it!

Looking at your age, maybe you should try to find a youth/college bible study group there? It'd be a great way to meet people your own age and whatnot!
"The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future...and the power to create your own flow of time."
Saiya~Jin

Postby MrKrillz0r » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 am

Haha Topaz, I don't sing either.. I just read the lyrics. My singing voice is.. ehm.. not that great to say the least.. xD
MrKrillz0r

Postby Saiya~Jin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 am

Well you aren't singing for you or anyone else, you're singing for God. And I'm sure he'd love it, regardless. :thumb:
"The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future...and the power to create your own flow of time."
Saiya~Jin

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 am

Lol... I haven't been to church in about 10 years at least... I almost went last sunday but I kind of just sat in my car and didn't go anywhere.... then it was "too late" so I got back out and went back in side...

I have a bit of an anxiety/nerve issue to begin with (this goes for anything new with lots of people) New place with LOTS of new people and going in by yourself... yuck... so yeah I know the feeling. I wish they had services in the evening to be honest. I'm a lot more comfortable plus a lot more alert... I like the feeling of just being able to slip in and slip out. Can't do that during the day really.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Next

Return to General