Which erasers are best?

Talk about anything in here.

Which erasers are best?

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:59 pm

How do you know when you've chosen a good eraser?

I usually squeeze the ones I'm thinking of purchasing. If they're squishy, they go home with me. Hard ones get the ">:C" face from me and stay at the store.

Actually, since we're on the subject of stationary tools, how do you know when you've found good drawing paper and pencils?
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 pm

You can't go wrong with a Pink Pearl eraser... They're always great quality. Hard erasers are worthless, they're usually lighter in color than the decent, soft erasers on yellow pencils.

Truthfully though, I never use that kind of pencil to draw anymore. I suggest lead pencils, because the lead is easy to keep sharp and the erasers are almost always the good quality. Softer lead, in my opinion, is also better to choose...

As for paper, run-of-the-mill computer paper works just fine for me. Unless you're planning on coloring the art traditionally... then that's a different story.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Wallachia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm

The erasers on pencils never work for me. They just smudge my words or artwork and leave a pink stain behind.

Now white erasers on the other hand... Those are usually better. I have this nice, white eraser I've had for five years and it still does its job, though it's getting a little small.
It's a weird little wheel... thing... I don't how to describe it but it's inside a circular, blue case that you can close up when you want to store it.

Wallachia

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Pentel erasers are the best. So are Sakura ones. I sometimes use Academix pink erasers, which work OK. But Pentel is my choice in eraser! Especially the pen-shaped ones, so good for erasing little details!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Get the white click erasers. They are AMAZING!
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Actually one of my favorite erasers is called a black pearl and they're pretty solid feeling. They also look like skipping stones.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:47 pm

o_o i can't tell which is better...pentel...or uni?
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Asuka Neko » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 pm

I personally also like the "white clicky ones" for small detail erasing, but I think you're looking for more of a block eraser, the kind you'd use for bigger stuff. One of the most annoying things about erasers to me is the fact that they leave all those little shavings and crud around everywhere, so I like Moo erasers. They're also really soft and erase pretty well. And they don't leave as much annoying junk that gets all over my desk. As far as pencil erasers go, the ones on mechanical erasers usually work alright, but they disappear pretty quickly, which is why I like to have a clicky one; it's about the same size but it lasts much longer. Usually white erasers work better than pink ones (just because colored erasers leave behind color on your paper sometimes). Kneaded erasers are nice as well, but if you sketch really dark (like me) they don't work too well because they tend to flop around and only erase a little bit. And on the test you had, I would say the Uni one worked best.

*just realizes she wrote an awful lot about erasers* sorry about that. I commend you if you read it all.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Asuka Neko (post: 1461904) wrote:*just realizes she wrote an awful lot about erasers* sorry about that. I commend you if you read it all.

haha yay i'm commended then! :>

c.t.,girl

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:08 pm

I love kneaded erasers the most, especially when I draw; they don't leave smudge marks. But if I want a cool looking eraser, the fun Japanese ones are the way to go.;)
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby aliveinHim » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:10 pm

I love grey gummy erasers. I don't know what brand I have but I love it for drawing.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

I love my erasers that look like sushi! They're really not good for erasing, but look awesome on my desk! XD
Atria35

Postby ABlipinTime » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:31 pm

I use Staedtler Mars plastic (white eraser). I don't see them in stores very often though
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm

I usually use a Pentel High-Polymer eraser. (Fancy name, yes?) It works well but I sometimes press down too hard, so it doesn't erase as well. I think that's more my fault though.
As for pencils, I like using General pencils. I don't know why, I've just used them for most of my drawings, so I've grown to like them.
Ante Bellum

Postby Maledicte » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Where I like the Black Pearl eraser for both shape (very easy on the hand, at least at full size) and erasing ability, my baby is:

Erases like a dream. Downside is that it picks up oils and stuff like normal white erasers to the point where it starts smudging instead of erasing. But by then it's about the size of a dime, anyway.

Click erasers are also lovely for getting into those tiny spots.
Maledicte

Postby ABlipinTime » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Maledicte (post: 1462040) wrote:Where I like the Black Pearl eraser for both shape (very easy on the hand, at least at full size) and erasing ability, my baby is:

Erases like a dream. Downside is that it picks up oils and stuff like normal white erasers to the point where it starts smudging instead of erasing. But by then it's about the size of a dime, anyway.

Where do you find that kind of eraser?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 pm

I found one of those at an art supply store.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Maledicte » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 pm

You can find them online as well; the picture I posted is from Dick Blick.
Maledicte

Postby Saiya~Jin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 am

[quote="Ally-Ann (post: 1461957)"]I love kneaded erasers the most, especially when I draw]

This right here, haha. I think kneaded erasers are great! They don't leave behind any eraser shavings, and they erase really well, too!
"The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future...and the power to create your own flow of time."
Saiya~Jin

Return to General