Purity

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Okami » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Back on the subject of purity, I once did a word study on words relating to "pure" and came back with hits on 'moral uprightness' stemming everywhere from "holy," and "righteousness," to "integrity" and "sanctification."

This whole topic was introduced in my mind after reading through the Thessalonians and this topic of seemingly-interchangeable salvation and sanctification; purification through being saved. It was a very interesting study of words...which brought me right back to Galatians 5:22-23, the fruit of the Spirit.

I think our purity lies within communication and communion with God, which then brings about healthy relationships with ourselves and with others and with Him. People looking in from the outside will notice a change when we give it all up to God and allow for Him to overflow from within us.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm

[quote="TGJesusfreak (post: 1461081)"]Well actually dude. That highly depends on your definition of courting. idk what yours is. But mine is Dating with the intent of something more (AKA Marraige) so I guess dating and courting in MY mind are a bit interchangible XD]

Alright, yeah, I totally agree. Your definition of courting is what my definition of dating would have been. And I agree with you about being friends. Best way to start off. ^_^

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm

PatrickEklektos wrote:And about birth control, well, evil is defined by Scripture. It says nothing about birth control. So letting these people believe what they want about it, as long as its not the sin of taking human life (which is unBiblical), isn't perpetuating evil.

And my argument is that they believe birth control is wrong which is directly harming the life of the mother, which IS perpetuating evil because they could stop her from being harmed or killed but they won't because they're hiding behind the "God's will" excuse. They're saying "Yeah, we know it's dangerous to make her do this, but we're going to do it anyway because if she dies it's just God's will."

To put it another way, it's like if your mom told you "I want you to stick this knife in the electrical outlet, and if you die, it's just God's will." If you can't see how stupid and BS that is, I don't know what to say.
I don't get the compraison to slaver simply for this fact alone. Slavery (in America and Africa) was an abuse to the human being. Birthcontrol or the lack thereof is simply a decision one makes in one's own bedchamber when making love.

And I'm saying the lifestyle they support is misogynist and abuse of women. Just because she wants to go along with it doesn't make it not abuse. Victims of abuse will protect and even fall in love with their abuser quite often, it's called Stockholm Syndrome. That's why I brought up slavery, because this is a violation of human rights just as plain as slavery was a violation of human rights.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm

TopazRaven wrote:I don't get it, what is so evil about birth control?

The people who oppose birth control do so because they feel that not allowing a child to be born is fundamentally the same as killing a child. They use the story of Onan as support, as well as things like God's charge to Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply.

Nate

Postby Okami » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Nate (post: 1461085) wrote:The people who oppose birth control do so because they feel that not allowing a child to be born is fundamentally the same as killing a child. They use the story of Onan as support, as well as things like God's charge to Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply.

These sound like the same people who have bashed me for being celibate. Because not allowing marriage to happen is to not allow children to happen and blahblahblah. ...Um, guys, Jesus didn't marry. And there are other Biblical celibates, too. :eyeroll:
Okami

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Nate (post: 1461085) wrote:The people who oppose birth control do so because they feel that not allowing a child to be born is fundamentally the same as killing a child. They use the story of Onan as support, as well as things like God's charge to Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply.

Yeah, 'cept people forget that the moral of the story of Onan was not "DON'T MASTURBATE" but "DON'T DISOBEY DIRECT ORDERS FROM GOD". Big difference there. God told him to do a thing and then he didn't do it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm

I think there's more to it than that. Another thing I've heard is the verses that state that children are a blessing, and who would turn down God's blessing? But I do know they say that the story of Onan is proof that reproductive fluid waste is a sin. Outside of that I don't know of any other evidence they have...anyone who hold that belief wanna speak up?

Nate

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Nate (post: 1461084) wrote:So then you think homosexuality is totally cool and we shouldn't pay any attention to it because we have no right telling them what they ought and ought not do in bed. I totally support you on that!

Homosexuality is a sin defined by Scripture as an abomination to God. Birthcontrol is nowhere mentioned in Scripture. As such, we can make an absolute statement that homosexuality is a sin, but we cannot about birthcontrol. Now I would kindly ask you not to make such thinly veiled accusations to me in the future. It would be much appreciated bro. Thank you.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:38 pm

How did this thread even derail to the Duggars and birth control? I think it's just kind of done now...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Nevermind, I don't need to rant about a subject that this thread is not even about. :/ my apologies.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1461097) wrote:How did this thread even derail to the Duggars and birth control? I think it's just kind of done now...

Yeah, you're right. Ugh! I perpetuated it... Sorry about that.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Hansha » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1461097) wrote:How did this thread even derail to the Duggars and birth control? I think it's just kind of done now...

:sweat: I murdered this thread when I asked about courting and said I had only seen it done in the duggar family.
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm

With all respect, I think we're done here :lol:.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1461095) wrote:Homosexuality is a sin defined by Scripture as an abomination to God. Birthcontrol is nowhere mentioned in Scripture. As such, we can make an absolute statement that homosexuality is a sin, but we cannot about birthcontrol. Now I would kindly ask you not to make such thinly veiled accusations to me in the future. It would be much appreciated bro. Thank you.

SDG

I think it would be best if we didn't go down the "homosexuality is/isn't a sin" road again here, so for reference, I'll just link this relatively recent thread on the subject. To all, please continue to treat each other and each others' opinions with respect as you discuss this topic further! Thanks!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:How did this thread even derail to the Duggars and birth control?

The same way that looking up "suspension bridge" on Wikipedia led to me reading the article on "William Howard Taft."

Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Nate (post: 1461108) wrote:The same way that looking up "suspension bridge" on Wikipedia led to me reading the article on "William Howard Taft."

Reminds me of the time I started with "hives" and ended up at... well, I don't want to mention it here, but I'm still scarred... D:
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Hansha » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1461109) wrote:Reminds me of the time I started with "hives" and ended up at... well, I don't want to mention it here, but I'm still scarred... D:

Oh, stream of consciousness, how you get us in trouble...
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:58 pm

You should play the "six steps to Hitler" game on Wikipedia. Go to Wikipedia, choose "Random Page," and try to get to the Adolf Hitler article in six clicks or less.

HARD MODE: No using links of names of countries.

Nate

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1461107) wrote:I think it would be best if we didn't go down the "homosexuality is/isn't a sin" road again here, so for reference, I'll just link this relatively recent thread on the subject. To all, please continue to treat each other and each others' opinions with respect as you discuss this topic further! Thanks!

Eh, I don't really want to discuss it, but thanks. I don't want to start any flame wars. heh, I've had enough to last a lifetime. Just didn't want the wrong opinion about me out there. LOL a bit vain i suppose.
But yeah, so everyone agrees we got off topic, was there anyone reason or anyone who wanted to get back on?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Okami » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1461114) wrote:But yeah, so everyone agrees we got off topic, was there anyone reason or anyone who wanted to get back on?

SDG

My post up there on my word study kind of got swept under the rug. Anyone have any thoughts on it, or done anything similar? I've been doing all sorts of these types of studies recently...and seemingly big and scary words are just awesome in proper context. xD God is so cool!
Okami

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:45 pm

I'll get back on topic, because something I read bothered me a little and nobody called attention to it...

animefanatic777 (post: 1461058) wrote:Well, I dunno how old you are(And that's not me asking) but chances are, you'll find a guy just perfect for you. It is hard.

There's always a guy out there who will meet your standards, it just depends if you meet'im or not. God may have a different guy in plan for you though, we dunno lol You seem like the type of person who is meant to have someone. So I'll have faith that there's someone out there for you :3 I'll pray for you to!

No, you won't find a spouse perfect for you. Not ever. Because spouses are not perfect, and should not be expected to be "perfect for you." I know what the heart is behind this, and I understand it, but it bothers me a lot. It's basically the Disney fairy tale repackaged for Christians. It's essentially treating whoever your spouse is like they were made just for you, like their whole purpose in life is to be your soulmate.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: That's nonsense, and if you expect that out of your marriage partner, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Marriage is not this be-all end-all thing that God made us to experience. People are not created specifically to be married. If we were, the idea that God created us to be "perfect for each other" would make sense. But I think God created each person with a specific vision in mind for that person individually. As such, I prefer to see potential mates as they are, not as I think they should be in relation to me.

Yes, it's important to have standards. But why don't you let a person be who they are, who God created them to be, rather than who you expect them to be in relation to yourself?

Also, "meant to have someone" bothers me too. What if you're not? What if you never get married? God is not obligated to give you a spouse just because you want one and you've got a nice little list.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1461147) wrote:No, you won't find a spouse perfect for you. Not ever. Because spouses are not perfect, and should not be expected to be "perfect for you." I know what the heart is behind this, and I understand it, but it bothers me a lot. It's basically the Disney fairy tale repackaged for Christians. It's essentially treating whoever your spouse is like they were made just for you, like their whole purpose in life is to be your soulmate.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: That's nonsense, and if you expect that out of your marriage partner, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Marriage is not this be-all end-all thing that God made us to experience. People are not created specifically to be married. If we were, the idea that God created us to be "perfect for each other" would make sense. But I think God created each person with a specific vision in mind for that person individually. As such, I prefer to see potential mates as they are, not as I think they should be in relation to me.

Yes, it's important to have standards. But why don't you let a person be who they are, who God created them to be, rather than who you expect them to be in relation to yourself?

Oh gosh, I agree with this so much.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1461147) wrote:No, you won't find a spouse perfect for you. Not ever. Because spouses are not perfect, and should not be expected to be "perfect for you." I know what the heart is behind this, and I understand it, but it bothers me a lot. It's basically the Disney fairy tale repackaged for Christians. It's essentially treating whoever your spouse is like they were made just for you, like their whole purpose in life is to be your soulmate.

:O Bravo! The whole post was spot on! Wish I could add to it... but that just wouldn't work, you hit the nail on the head! Hearty Amen!

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:23 pm

I like this post:
TGJesusfreak (post: 1461081) wrote:I also VERY strongly beleive in being friends with who you date/court first. You learn to respect boundries, you love eachother platonically first, and you learn what irritates you about your friend (then you can decide if you can put up with that for the rest of your life). I just think it's good because it keeps you from being blinded by love.

I'm not sure just how well everyone else here wants to know a person before going out with them (if at all), but it's... practically never mentioned. For years I thought dating a person started like this:

[The following is, as I said, how I thought I was supposed to act, not how I intend to act. Just to clarify. o_o]

I'm at the supermarket or library or whatever, minding my own business, and some guy I have never seen before in my life walks up to me and says "Hey you wanna go out with me?"

And then, from what I deduced from my dad, I'm supposed to ask "Do you have a job or are you going to college?"

If the answer is 'no' to both, I'm supposed to say "Well get away from me you loser or my father will kill you". If the answer to the former is yes, I'm supposed to ask how much money he makes. If he doesn't make enough money to support me (who... I guess is living off monopoly money?) I'm still supposed to say "Get away from me". If he's in college, I'm supposed to ask what his major is. If he says anything that's not Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or perhaps Business, I tell him to get away from me.

Only if he has a well-paying job, or is studying something 'solid' am I allowed (and, indeed, expected to) say "Why of course I'll go out with you!"

...And I have no idea where in here I get to ask what the guy's name is. XDDDD It was only in the last year or so when I was introduced to the idea that it's a good idea to actually know the guy first. Imagine! XD

[/end of elaborating on my previous confusion XD;]

Granted, I've never been in a relationship, but I really would like to know the guy as a friend first. I'm not getting into a stranger's car, even if my dad 'spoke' to him, even if the guy says we're just getting dinner or a movie. I just... would not feel safe. o__o;

EDIT: Also, I really like Yuki-Anne's posts. :jump:
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:15 pm

I understand your intent but your response sounds rather callous. Poor guys.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Well I wouldn't really say that, but I got the impression from my Dad that he'd prefer me to act something like that. Or somehow get the point across. I dunno.

I was confused for a while. That's what my point was.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1461185) wrote:I understand your intent but your response sounds rather callous. Poor guys.

Yeah, its enough to make me never really want to ask a girl out. Wow, that seems like, if thats what ladies think as a rule, guys are always going to get the "no". Huh.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm

FllMtl Novelist wrote:"Do you have a job or are you going to college?"

If the answer is 'no' to both, I'm supposed to say "Well get away from me you loser or my father will kill you".

*is a loser* T.T
I'm supposed to ask what his major is. If he says anything that's not Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or perhaps Business, I tell him to get away from me.

Is "likes math" really something you desperately need in a guy? o.O People who get degrees in other fields can like math too y'know.

Nate

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Nate (post: 1461190) wrote:Is "likes math" really something you desperately need in a guy? o.O People who get degrees in other fields can like math too y'know.

I think my Dad was hoping for "not arty". ^^;;

I really hope my post didn't come across wrong; my point was to say that how you go from not knowing someone to dating them was really not mentioned to me for a long time. I wasn't sure if any of the other girls (or guys) had similar confusion... maybe it was just me. Anyway, no offense meant to anybody.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

[quote="FllMtl Novelist"]I think my Dad was hoping for "not arty". ^^]
Oh! I misunderstood. I thought you were saying your own thoughts, not what your dad wanted you to think. My mistake!

Though I will say that YOU are the person marrying the guy, not your dad, so who cares if your dad likes him or not. :p

Nate

Previous Next

Return to General