What Kind of School Do You Do?

Talk about anything in here.

What Kind of School Do You Do?

Postby Arya Raiin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 am

I'm curious about how many of us are (or were) home-schooled and such.

I'm home schooled! :grin:
Arya Raiin

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 am

I went to a private Christian school from kindergarten through Junior High. I was in an "Independent Study Program" for High School. (in other words, homeschooling)

Honestly homeschooling was the worst thing my parents could have done to me, academically speaking. It stunted my social growth and left me entirely unprepared for college. I am still reaping the results of that. This won't be the case for everyone, but it was certainly the case for me.

Currently I am going to one of the local community colleges, getting ready to transfer to a state university.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Dante » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

I can hit all three, but chose home schooled. I started out in private schools, then went to public schools and ended at home school... unless you count high school which I completed entirely online (digital school?). From public universities and community colleges.
Dante

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 am

Public school all the way!
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am

Sometimes, I wish homeschool, just so I could have had the chance to get ahead. But when I think about it, it was in my old school that I heard about my current school, which is one of the best things that could have happened to me.
Ante Bellum

Postby Peanut » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:09 am

Previously, I attended public school up through High School and a private Christian university in college. Right now, you could say I'm being self taught until grad school.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Sheenar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am

I attended public school from kindergarten through 12th. Went to a state university for my Bachelor's degree and am still at that state university working on my Master's.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:18 am

Public school from K to 12. Haven't yet taken any college courses.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 am

I was homeschooled my entire life. However, I also attended cottage schools. For those who don't know, cottage schools are once a week prep schools for homeschoolers. I attended these from 8-12th grade. I attended one that had several hundred students.

Now I go to a public university.
Yamamaya

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 am

I went to a school with four walls and roof on it.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 am

I was in public school in kindergarten for no more than eight weeks when my mom pulled me out and homeschooled me. When I went to 3rd grade, I went to a DOD school, then in 4th grade I went to a public school until I was pulled out two months before summer vacation. I've been homeschooled ever since then. However, if my parents can't get me into a private school this fall, I'll go to a public school.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:38 am

Public school my whole life.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 pm

There's not really an option for me on there...

I did public school until 5th grade (with a very brief stint at a private school), when the bottom kinda fell out - it's a long, messy story and I'm not proud of it. Let's just say that the teachers didn't really like me, and I didn't like them, so I got bored and took matters into my own passive-aggressive hands.

I did half-homeschool stuff for the next quarter, taking classes from a correspondence high school to make up the difference. That didn't help matters, so I went full-time homeschool for the next 4 years, taking the same high school classes. That was all right, and I learned a lot, but it kinda held me back on math. (I caught up in college, though.) From there, I joined Running Start, which is a program in my state for high-school students where you can take college courses for a couple years for very cheaply, instead of taking high school classes.

After that was over, I stayed at the public university where I was doing that, and now, almost 5 years later, I'm almost done with my bachelor's degrees (it's a double major, y'see). Somehow, after all that, I turned out all right.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:32 pm

100% public school, K- BFA.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Okami » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:41 pm

I was a public schooled kid through high school graduation. I'm now attending a private Christian college.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby acgifford » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 pm

I home schooled and proud of it.:D
[color="Lime"]"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Psalm32: 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.[/color]
Proud member of MOES!! You better believe I have no scrolling.^_~
[color="Blue"]Doctor Who fan!! [/color]:jump:
[color="Yellow"]"Dare to read, think, speak and write." John Adams[/color]
[color="Pink"]Proud Member of the SisterHoos! ^^[/color]
[color="Red"]Vash the Stampede: I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.[/color]
acgifford

Postby Ella Edric » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I've been homeschooled all my life. I don't even know what it's like at a public school. haha XD
Ella Edric

Postby jsav777 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Christian school since pre-k.
jsav777

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:18 pm

I love how the homeschooled people are all, "Yup, homeschooled!" (myself included! n.n/) but all the other types give the grade equivalent, "Schooled K-12" XD

During the last years as a joke when people asked what grade I was in, I'd say, "Hmm, well I'm 17, so 17th grade!" I don't think I ever cared what grade I was in. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Growing up, I went to a private Christian school from 5K through 12th grade. XD Some people I knew resented that, but I think it was really good for me. The small class sizes were great for my shyer personality, as was knowing every person in the school. XD I was also fortunate enough to have Bible teachers that were mostly solid people. There were some in that school that I would say had very destructive theology, and it turned a lot of people away from the message of Christ (many of whom came back around after graduation when a really solid church came to my town). While my experience in a private Christian school was good for me and my personality, it's absolutely not good for everyone, and I don't think I'd put my own children through it if their personality didn't match up to it.

Anyways, that being said, I now attend a state university, and I love it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Garland » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I went to a small private school up through fifth grade, and now am going to a larger small private school, if that makes sense. A lot of what RD said applies, with it being a Christian school and me being shy.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby Nanao » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:40 pm

combination of independent study and homeschool (too much traveling). some private school.
Nanao

Postby Tancos » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:45 pm

I went to four grade schools and three high schools, some public, some private, all mostly wastes of time.
Tancos

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Homeschooled my whole life. I did do a bunch of classes with a big homeschool group in my area for a while, though, when I was twelve (give or take a few years).
Rusty Claymore (post: 1460712) wrote:I love how the homeschooled people are all, "Yup, homeschooled!" (myself included! n.n/) but all the other types give the grade equivalent, "Schooled K-12" XD

During the last years as a joke when people asked what grade I was in, I'd say, "Hmm, well I'm 17, so 17th grade!" I don't think I ever cared what grade I was in. XP

Heh yeah, I always have to stop and think what grade I'm in, too. XD I'm glad to be in high school, so I can just say "I'm a junior". (I think. o___o) Freshman-sophomore-junior-senior is weirdly easier to remember, I guess because they use the same terms in college so I hear it more. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Well, from K-7th, I went to a public school (well, 6 elementary schools actually and 1 middle school. we moved around quite a bit), attended a private school in 8th grade but went back to public school for 9th-12th grade (The only time I stayed to one school for over one year). Now, I'm attending a private all-girl college. Taking money out of my hide like crazy though.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Asuka Neko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

I was in public school until 7th grade, when I started going to an all-girls private school. And that is where I remain!! For now.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:39 pm

I went to private school until 2nd grade. I am currently homeschooled and proud of it. I'm starting dual enrollment next year at community college. I'm only a sophomore.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I was homeschooled K-12th and then went to a Christian college.

I don't know if it would have been good for me to go to a public high school but I really wanted to.

I'm not sure if I would homeschool my kids. *shrugs*
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Midori » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:05 pm

I've had a little bit of everything. I was in public school until the 4th grade, I went to a private Christian school in the 5th, and back to public in the 6th.

Actually, I hated school immensely. I still have lingering PTSD about going to school because of what it was like for me. Starting 7th grade I was homeschooled. It was basically for me either that or special-ed.

However, I started going to a (public) junior college in 11th grade, and that was so much more pleasant than any grade school.
Midori

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1460787) wrote:I'm not sure if I would homeschool my kids. *shrugs*

It takes a certain kind of temperament and family life. I think I'd rather shave myself bald than homeschool anyone- I would be terrible at it!
Atria35

Next

Return to General