Will someone please defend Pokemon?

Talk about anything in here.

Will someone please defend Pokemon?

Postby TheMewster » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm tired of Christians bashing Pokemon. I know pokemon is okay and isn't satanic, but all the anti-pokemon articles are making me feel like a bad Christian for not trying to fit myself in their idealized little molds. Now it's making me feel depressed. Will someone just be an encouraging person and reassure me (Biblical evidence if possible) that I'm not a bad Christian for playing Pokemon games? Conviction is a strong force, but I'm no longer sure of my convictions and I need another Christian viewpoint to strengthen them. :(
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Which articles? It's hard to come up with an effective response without knowing what to respond to exactly. Can you link them?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:30 pm

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Truth-About-Pokemon

It's an article that addresses some of the things they say about Pokemon being Satanic. They link to the Christian Gamer's Guild to address some of those things, too.

Though for the most part that's blown over and has been for a few years- the new thing to call Satanic is Beyblade.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Whoa, have I been missing something? Why would Pokemon be satanic? I learned a lot of good lessons from that show as a kid!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby firestorm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 pm

God doesn't pressure you to do anything. I've seen some of the articles, which put up a bunch of junk that are not true of the series. I really don't like that. but I will say that when your convicted of something for you to look back at the bible to see whether your convictions are based on real things or not. You need to stand strong on what the bible says about topics like this rather than on articles by others.

If they said this about Pokemon might as well talk about Final Fantasy for magic, Street fighters for fighting, and Mario for eating mushrooms.

I'd say check on the new testament (I believe in Romans). while this specifically isn't talked about, the way they talked about the topic of eating food reserved for Idols I think is similar. If I'm wrong about the bible verse then let me know guys.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Syreth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm sorry you've been getting so much grief for it. I can understand how you feel. Some Christians are too often on the patrol for things that they can criticize just for the sake of criticism, or worse.

Pokemon is just a fun, harmless game in my opinion, and I wouldn't criticize you for playing it. I'd probably play it once in awhile again if I had the time. lol.
Syreth

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Lol, I remember when I was 14 we got the "DnD and Pokemon is evil" Schtick at a youth group thing.

I stood up and I was like "Um if Pokemon is SO evil, why are Christian Artists doing music for the movies? (PlusOne and John Elefante both did music for the first two movies)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 pm

My mommy banned me from Pokemon when I was young saying it had satanic elements. http://www.cephas-library.com/save_our_children_pokemon_booklet.html Here's an article if you want to see more of it. I used to be the ultimate Pokemon fangirl ever when I was 6. My parents had talks with me and my older brother about it and we gave it up. I'm not big into the supernatural because it leads into the occult (an extremely dangerous road).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1460346) wrote: I'm not big into the supernatural because it leads into the occult (an extremely dangerous road).

It can. But I would have to say that ususally, that isn't the case. If it would cause you to stumble, then definitely, don't get into it. But a surprising amount of people are able to watch/read/deal with supernatural elements in their lives and come out perfectly fine and strong in their faith.

Also, that site does have several elements that are in the game, but really takes and twists them into more than they really are. I think some of those stories are exaggerations or misinterpretations.
Atria35

Postby Hiryu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

People take fantasy way too seriously sometimes. They say the same thing about Harry Potter, Video games, TV, sports, you name it. Someone's got a bone to pick.
Hiryu

Postby firestorm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:13 pm

This site you quoted said Sailor Moon was an occult game. I don't know if they have a game, but I'd say I've never seen anything occultish about Sailor Moon. I'd say there maybe are other things to accuse it of but not the occult (as far as from what I've seen.)
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't believe that you're not a Christian if you watch that stuff. I believe that Christians shouldn't watch stuff that's contrary to Scripture. I'm not a Sailor Moon person (but my friend is going to use her Sailor Moon manga to teach me Japanese) so I don't know if it's occultish. In Bible study, we've been reading how God told the Israelites that there will be no witchcraft or sorcery. I've seen stuff with witchcraft but it's portrayed as an evil that I've seen it as. It's a problem if it's portrayed as good.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:38 pm

firestorm wrote:I'd say I've never seen anything occultish about Sailor Moon.

The only thing I can think of is that Rei is a Shinto priestess and will sometimes use her charms to ward off evil and shout "Aku ryo tai san" which I guess means something like "Evil spirits begone." But even that isn't part of the occult, it's part of Shinto.

Anyway that article is full of flat out lies. For example. "Select your desired attack. Hold down the button until your opponent's life stops draining." Anyone who's played Pokemon knows it's a turn-based game. There are no attacks that have you holding down the button. That is an absolute lie, one that can be easily proven to be a lie by playing the game for more than one minute.

Anyway I can't tell if that article is supposed to be satirical or not. As one example it talks about how Weepinbell catches prey, which is similar to how carnivorous plants such as pitcher plants catch insects, and talks about how that's evil and ungodly. Or something. That's where I stopped reading because it was so ridiculously stupid I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be something I laughed at because it was a parody, or if the author was actually serious and I was supposed to be shocked. The very fact I couldn't tell made me figure the rest wasn't worth reading.

EDIT:
I believe that Christians shouldn't watch stuff that's contrary to Scripture.

Oh joy, it's this conversation again. And today was shaping up to be such a great day too! Well time to become filled with rage again!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hiryu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 pm

That's where I stopped reading because it was so ridiculously stupid I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be something I laughed at because it was a parody, or if the author was actually serious and I was supposed to be shocked. The very fact I couldn't tell made me figure the rest wasn't worth reading.

I'd imagine they were about as serious as these people:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0034/0034_01.asp
Hiryu

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Oh boy, it's this topic again.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Hiryu wrote:I'd imagine they were about as serious as these people:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0034/0034_01.asp

Man I thought you were gonna link THIS tract:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Which is even stupider than the one you posted.

Nate

Postby firestorm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:32 pm

TheMewster (post: 1460327) wrote:I'm tired of Christians bashing Pokemon. I know pokemon is okay and isn't satanic, but all the anti-pokemon articles are making me feel like a bad Christian for not trying to fit myself in their idealized little molds. Now it's making me feel depressed. Will someone just be an encouraging person and reassure me (Biblical evidence if possible) that I'm not a bad Christian for playing Pokemon games? Conviction is a strong force, but I'm no longer sure of my convictions and I need another Christian viewpoint to strengthen them. :(

Anyways, Mewster like I said earlier as you see everyone has their own belief about it. For me, I just don't like when they lie about aspects that aren't there. Obviously Pokemon are influenced a bit by other beliefs, hence the psychic and ghost types. But despite all the we or other say, ultimately it's up to what the word says. So what I would do is go back to the word and check out what it has to say.

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Nate wrote:can be easily proven to be a lie by playing the game for more than one minute.

Nah, they'll have to go longer than one. The prof. usually doesn't shut up about peace, harmony, and global good for a good two or three! XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:11 pm

I'll respond to that article when I can do it without my post getting wiped. Needless to say I think http://www.cephas-library.com/save_our_children_pokemon_booklet.html is panicky paranoia that's older than some members on CAA, fueled by information that's been out of date for probably 10 years or more, or is just plain incorrect. Anyone know when Wizards of the Coast stopped publishing the Pokemon game?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:16 pm

I remember reading on TVTropes that the Pope thinks Pokemon is a great game, or at least not an ungodly one.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 pm

The problem with that argument is that the people who think Pokemon is satanic are also the people that think the Pope is the antichrist, so to them that only further proves how evil Pokemon is.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Nate (post: 1460429) wrote:The problem with that argument is that the people who think Pokemon is satanic are also the people that think the Pope is the antichrist, so to them that only further proves how evil Pokemon is.

</thread>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Peanut » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm

You know, this thread has brought a smile to my face purely for nostalgia sake. You see, Pokemon was the one, controversial game that I was really allowed to play as a kid. Which is kind of weird looking back. I mean, I went to a conservative Church in a state that's known to be Hicksville USA and yet, as I recall, my pastor's stance on Pokemon was it's only bad if you get absolutely obsessed with it, which is true for a lot of things. I was really into it as a kid too. In fact, my sister compared me and my friends to drug dealers after she observed us trading Pokemon cards. It makes me wonder why I was told DnD is of the devil and was prevented from watching Power Rangers or buying Magic Cards in Middle School. Actually, I know the reason for this, I'm just surprised that Pokemon wasn't included in that list I just mentioned...or DBZ come to think of it...or Beast Wars...man I my parents had weird standards when it came to childhood media.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Here's something really funny: I recall actually seeing a book online that linked Harry Potter and Pokemon together as a demonic plot. Riiight. JK Rowling and Nintendo are in league with Satan. :eyeroll:
You know, there are people who will find Satanism in a test pattern.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Furen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1460424) wrote:I remember reading on TVTropes that the Pope thinks Pokemon is a great game, or at least not an ungodly one.

Okay, well, remember it's TVTropes first before you go using it for reference to the pope.

I understand some of this stuff for younger kids, like Harry Potter, for reasons that little kids, unless their parents tell them about it, think it's true.

My little sisters would watch a show I didn't like called That's so Raven, where the main character could see the future, and they'd start acting like her and "foretell the future" so my parents had to sit them down and talk about how practicing that sort of activity un-biblical.

The only thing I could every find wrong with Pokemon (when I was being really nit-picky) would be the evolution process, but when I got older, I realized it's just a basic element of life, things do adapt (not anything like fish/monkey to human though).
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Furen wrote:Okay, well, remember it's TVTropes first before you go using it for reference to the pope.

Does the New York Post fare better for you?

http://www.theescapist.com/pokemon12.htm

The Pope has said Pokemon does not have "any harmful moral side effects" and was based on "ties of intense friendship." So yes, the Pope approves of Pokemon completely.
things do adapt (not anything like fish/monkey to human though).

Good thing the scientific theory of evolution doesn't say anything like that, then.

Nate

Postby Peanut » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Nate (post: 1460465) wrote:Good thing the scientific theory of evolution doesn't say anything like that, then.

Yeah, I'll be honest with you. When I saw this thread I was thinking someone was going to post the whole "Pokemon has Evolution in it therefore its evil" thing or that it would be a part of the argument that article was being made (if it is then...well...my fault for not reading the article...). This was really the only major criticism I remember of Pokemon back in the day. So, I only quote Nate because it made me think of that.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Good thing the scientific theory of evolution doesn't say anything like that, then.
You're right. No where does it say things go *Flash!* and add three letters to their names. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TheMewster » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks. Search 'Sherry The Republican anti pokemon' and THAT'S the article worrying me. I just read the stuff you guys linked. Hilarious. Too bad they''re probably dead serious. I think it's more of how something's content affects your thoughts than the content itself, but that's just my conviction. I could go on and on defending the series now, but I'm tired. Thanks and God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Nate (post: 1460387) wrote:Man I thought you were gonna link THIS tract:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Which is even stupider than the one you posted.

NO, NOT BLACK LEAF!!

Is it horrible that that tract actually made me lol multiple times? I think I'm going to start using, "I can't. I'm fighting the zombie." as my general excuse for everything from now on.

Okay, the occult is real. I do think there are demonic forces. But you're not going to learn how to get into contact with them through Pokemon.

When I was a kid I thought Star Trek was real. This did not turn me into an alien. That's just the way kids are. The principle here should be realizing that kids have imagination, and they'll eventually grow up. Just teach them how to discern right from wrong and truth from lies, and Pokemon will not destroy their souls.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Next

Return to General