Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:06 am

Ack. Australian book chain - Angus N Robertson is also closing. Boo!
Yes, http://www.bookdepository.co.uk or the American equivalent are my favourite point of calls now when it comes to buying books.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby airichan623 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Atria35 (post: 1459733) wrote:I really liked Borders. They had a very nice selection of manga (tended to be bigger than B&N), and I liked the atmosphere better. Plus, there's only one bookstore within 30 miles of my parent's house. And that was Borders.

I would have to agree.

While B&N has a more stuffy atmosphere, Borders is more relaxed, which I like. And they actually have sales. Though they havent done a buy four manga get 1 free recently. :( I love those.

Random Factoid: Part of the reason i support Borders is that I discovered, while doing a project on the American manga industry, that Borders was the first bookstore to take the gamble on manga in the 90's, when Tokyopop was the first to really go head-first into "100% authentic manga." The two companies teamed up, and due to the popularity, all the other companies followed suit. :)

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 am

Yeah, I like Borders for the atmosphere too. My local one is easy to browse and the cafe is pretty neat; sometimes musicians play there on Friday nights and stuff. Most B&N stores seem to be laid out in a way that suggests "give us your money and then get the heck outta here". Maybe that's why Borders is in trouble-- the atmosphere says "please read our books in the aisles without buying them!" which, admittedly, I do all the time. >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 am

Funny since the B&N's in our area seem to be laid out the way you described Borders, and Borders (especially the ones that are closing in my area) seemed LESS lingering friendly.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ScalpelFactory » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am

I am huge fan of Borders, luckily the one by me is not closing [it is right next to a mall and the sales are probably preferable to B&N in the mall]. However, since I am one of their rewards members, I get free shipping for all online purchases. I'm counting on them to help me complete some of my manga collections [Hana-Kimi, MARS, etc.]~

I'm not exactly a shop-a-holic, but Borders is where I do most of my spending. If you don't count cosplay. XD
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:47 am

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1460306)"]Yeah, I like Borders for the atmosphere too. My local one is easy to browse and the cafe is pretty neat]

Strange, all of the B&N's here feel very much like libraries. On the other hand, Border's tends to be very, very store-like.

Both of which have their places, really.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 am

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1460306)"]Yeah, I like Borders for the atmosphere too. My local one is easy to browse and the cafe is pretty neat]

That's what my B&N and Borders are like to. Though I never actually stick around and read books without buying anymore. I remember when I was a kid when my mom used to take me with her to Target she would go shop and I'd always go to the book section and look at the books. Once some guy that worked there came up to me and pretty much told me, "buy this book or get out of here, we are not a library." I've been traumitized ever since. Lol.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:53 am

The knock-on effect for the U.S. manga industry: source
ANN wrote:Stu Levy, CEO of the North American manga publisher Tokyopop, told the ICv2 retail news source that the bankruptcy of the bookstore chain Borders led to last week's layoffs of its editors.

Levy said, "Borders—our biggest customer—went bankrupt, owed us a lot money, which they didn't pay us, and as a result we are in a very challenging situation, and have had to react quickly to the situation. We did need to let a few people go—and it's horrible for everyone involved to ever have to let people go. We will continue to do everything we can to evolve the manga business and we very much appreciate the support of our fans, our partners, our creators, and out retail customers."
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 am

Hooo dang. That's not good.

Now I feel extra guilty for taking advantage of the sales that are going on as the Borders near us goes under.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:51 am

Tokyopop doesn't publish anything worth reading anyway. >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1463686) wrote:Tokyopop doesn't publish anything worth reading anyway. >_>

*le gasp* (okay, I admit it- I don't care for the majority of their titles. But I do follow one or two things that they publish).
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1463686) wrote:Tokyopop doesn't publish anything worth reading anyway. >_>

ZING!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:02 pm

The last time I was in a Borders around here the manga I wanted to take a closer look at was on the bottom shelf. I sat down on the ground so I could see it, and got (literally) yelled at by an employee and thrown out of the store. It was humiliating and infuriating. Ever since, I've told everyone I know to avoid that store and have made a point to find other places to get books. That store is going out of business. It's probably unkind of me, but I feel somewhat vindicated. They have reaped what they've sown.

mechana2015 (post: 1459769) wrote:I was actually surprised at how FEW stores were closing really... and it seems like nearly a quarter of them are in California.

I rather suspect this is because Californians would rather buy on-line and not have to pay the 10% in sales tax. That adds $10 to a $100 order. I could be wrong, though.

PS: Probably don't need to say this, but let's not get into a discussion about the merits (or lack thereof) of various taxes. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1463741) wrote:The last time I was in a Borders around here the manga I wanted to take a closer look at was on the bottom shelf. I sat down on the ground so I could see it, and got (literally) yelled at by an employee and thrown out of the store. It was humiliating and infuriating. Ever since, I've told everyone I know to avoid that store and have made a point to find other places to get books. That store is going out of business. It's probably unkind of me, but I feel somewhat vindicated. They have reaped what they've sown.

I used to work at Borders, and the one I worked at was definitely not like that. We would have people come in several times a week and literally spend most of the day reading. We actually had chairs set up in front of the manga section just for this purpose. Once when we were expecting an nasty storm, we joked that the store manager finally decided to close the store early was because "even his manga people left". :lol:
Azier the Swordsman

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 am

Mithrandir (post: 1463741) wrote: I rather suspect this is because Californians would rather buy on-line and not have to pay the 10% in sales tax. That adds $10 to a $100 order. I could be wrong, though.

I really think it's because there are way too many Borders stores in California. We had at least 3 within a fifteen minute drive of my place... that's a ridiculous level of over-saturation, especially considering the fact that there were other bookstores both of the Barnes and Nobel, and smaller company variety.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 am

Regardless of how poor Tokyopop is at choosing manga to license, I'm sure they aren't the only manga company that is taking some hurt from this. I know that Yen Press has a pretty close relationship with Borders, so they at least will take some hurt from this.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Previous

Return to General