How my job has changed...

Talk about anything in here.

How my job has changed...

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 am

Do you sometimes think back to when you first started working, and how your job was like? If so, do you wish things were like the way they were, or like the fact that you can see "progress"?

Perhaps because my role has become much busier recently that I am thinking about this more often...

I started off by building web sites. Really enjoyed it, especially learning all those "tricks" to make things load properly in all the various browsers.

Then it got more "administrative" as I discovered I had to write documentation (yikes!).

Then my boss left, and I took over his role. Now I find myself mired in meetings and administrative work almost on a daily basis.

I miss being able to code, and missed the times when my biggest issue was figuring out how to call the DOM properly in Javascript.

I feel like I'm really out of touch with all the technical side of things now, because I have so little opportunity to do that sorta stuff, and have to hand off all the coding to my colleagues.

I want to emphasise that I am very grateful to God that I have a job, and generally speaking, a very good one.

But, probably because I am a "details" kinda guy, I like the little details in life. I like it when I reload the page and can see that the code has worked, or when I do a database query and the result comes back successfully.

I feel I am at a crossroads in life ... and that I have to choose to go either tech or management. I love tech, but think that if I continue in this role, it will have to be management, simply because it's that kind of role.

I have a steady job, I'm not complaining! :) But, sometimes I'd miss those little details, so I'm just sayin'...
Sammy Boy

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Lol.. I can be at my job for 20 more years and nothing will change. I work in a plant though so yeah :P Pay is good though. Just never knew what I wanted to do realistically (all my grade school/high school dreams were "Actor" or "director"... though I think deep down I knew it'd never happen, just thought if I kept saying it enough it'd happen. I'm pretty stubborn and the more people said it'll never happen the more stubborn I was about it when it came to career days). So when I did need a real job, I was really quite aimless. Have money saved up for school but have no interest in anything really aside from film and that is a money sink and nothing more. So... I used to hate it. I'm too smart for it... but I've accepted it now and it's not so bad. Won't get a better job without college and I don't know anything that would interest me enough to make the effort so... not complaining... Plus I have so much saved up now I can just buy my own house and do stuff I wanted to do but never did cause I wanted to save the money. Like sky diving ^_^ I'm working to get my AFF license now. It's pretty expensive but it is the most amazing thing I've ever done in my life. I just wish there was a closer drop zone cause I have to drive two hours away. If it was closer, I swear I'd be out there every single day jumping. My goal in life is to go BASE jumping!! After about 500 skydives, I'll be experienced enough where I would safely be able to BASE jump... but I digress... I just get super excited thinking about it. I embarrass myself IRL talking about it cause I get so excited thinking about jumping. Ok back on topic....
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Furen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm opposite for my job, as things go on, I learn more tricks and get faster (mind you, I have no room for promotion and am working in a restaurant as a kitchen prep so it's the same stuff every day) but though I get stressed when there's lots of customers, I find it gets easier by the months.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby TheMeanestGirl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 am

Never had a real job, just volenteered (or however its spelt) for teaching english to 9th grade students for a few days when i was 17, a school leaver (=
TheMeanestGirl

Return to General