Low Blood Sugar?

Talk about anything in here.

Low Blood Sugar?

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm

For a week I've been getting tired during mid-day to the point where I'll take a nap in the car when my mom and I run errands. I [SIZE="2"]NEVER[/SIZE] take naps. Never. If I'm tired, I can just drink tea with caffeine in it and I'll usually be fine. I know that I need to get to bed [SIZE="2"]MUCH[/SIZE] earlier, but that wasn't a problem before. So, I'll get to bed late, and wake up when I can't sleep anymore which is around 7:30 to 8:00, then I'll get extremely tired and I'll space out often by mid-day. I definitely need to lose weight, so that probably plays a big part in it, but my mom says that I might have low blood sugar. Then again, maybe I'm just going through a growth spurt. Or all of the above. Please pray that I'll get over this soon, 'cause me being tired in the middle of the day really annoys me.:shady:

EDIT: It also annoys everyone else around me when they have to put up with a tired Ally. [SIZE="2"]XP[/SIZE]
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Concerns about low blood sugar are definitely something you should check with your doctor about, but if it's any consolation, I took naps all the time as a teenager. XD In fact, I'm pretty sure it's common for most teenagers to sleep more than the average person and take longish naps during the day. My brother and I both took tons of naps in our teenage years, so it may just be part of growing up. XD But yeah, if you're worried about low blood sugar (I actually was too at your age--I tested for hypoglycemia, but didn't have it XD), get your parents to take you to a doctor about it and make sure that's not the case first!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:24 pm

As someone who has type 1 diabetes, I'm pretty qualified to talk about low and high blood sugar.

Low glucose is generally defined as being shakey, drousy, easily irritated, and generally having a strong lack of energy. Not being able to walk straight is also a sympton. It doesn't sound like you have hypoglycemia but you might want to check your glucose anyway just to be certain.

BTW type 1 diabetes is extremely different from type 2 and if one person says that type 1 is caused by eating too much sugar, then I will tear you apart. kthx. :D
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 pm

I get extremely tired during that time of day, and manage to take 3-hour "naps" when I can indulge in them. It's fairly normal for teenagers to do that, too.

Actually, there is some scientific basis for it, too. We have natural body rhythms, and that time of day is where we tend to be tired in general.

Low glucose might be an issue- I know that when I had class from 8 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon, with no break, I'd end up shaking and unable to see straight. It never showed up on any tests- I suspect it was because when they tested me it was overnight, and I wasn't active overnight. I was active from 8 to 2, and that drained my sugar fast.
Atria35

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1459838) wrote:As someone who has type 1 diabetes, I'm pretty qualified to talk about low and high blood sugar.

Low glucose is generally defined as being shakey, drousy, easily irritated, and generally having a strong lack of energy. Not being able to walk straight is also a sympton.

Pretty much exactly what's been happening recently, save for being shaky. As for the the walking, I've been losing my balance a lot easier, if that counts for anything. What's weird is that diabetes runs in my family on both sides. Convenient, huh? [SIZE="2"]XD[/SIZE]
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby goldenspines » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Coming from someone who has low blood sugar and has a family history of it, one thing you could try to see if it helps is eat more protein more often. When you're feeling tired or can't focus too well during the day, eat something high in protein and see if you feel any better. If you do, it's probably low blood sugar.
But yeah, you can try that, then check with a doctor to make sure. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Hypoglycaemia is frequently overdiagnosed. True hypoglycaemia with documented low fasting sugars sometimes has a more sinister cause and should always be investigated (insulinomas, VIPomas and certain other rare neuroendocrine tumours can cause it). Sometimes it's just low, though.

But, Ally-Ann, you just sound like every other 13 year old I know. :P
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Asuka Neko » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 am

That has been happening to me over the last week as well. I kept coming home from school at like 3:30 and falling asleep, then not waking up until dinner, eating, and falling back asleep. In my case, it was probably caused by undue amounts of stress at school. Sometimes if you have a lot going on, you just get tired way more easily. It is probably normal, but if it gets really bad then you might need to ask your doctor about it.

I hope you can be awake and back to normal soon!
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:11 am

Teenagers typically need more sleep than adults. I say nap when you can, don't drink too much caffeine, and get plenty of water.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:44 am

shooraijin (post: 1459855) wrote:But, Ally-Ann, you just sound like every other 13 year old I know. :P

Lolol, oh you xD

Maybe, try having a snack around those times to see if those help energy wise ^__^ Perhaps, all you need is a boost ^__^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm

It's 3:00 p.m. where I live right now, and so far, I'm not tired. I forgot to mention that had also changed my diet to eating little to no snacks in between meals, so now I'm wondering if my body just wasn't used to that.

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby Syreth » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Sleep is very important at your age. If you're not getting enough sleep, your body is probably crashing mid-afternoon. Also, eating a balanced lunch helps. If it's any consolation, I had the same sleeping habits at your age, and I've never had blood sugar problems.
Syreth

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Tiredness in the afternoons is a normal part of the human biorhythm. Not feeling it is what's a typical.
There are a lot of things to consider: blood sugar, thyroid issues, poor diet. It could be as simple as the factory style school systems disagreeing strongly with your biorhythms. Public schools don't match teen biorhythms at all.
If really concerned, a doctors visit might be in order. My sleep disturbances require medication to correct.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Doubleshadow (post: 1459957) wrote:Public schools don't match teen biorhythms at all.

True dat.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Doubleshadow (post: 1459957) wrote:Tiredness in the afternoons is a normal part of the human biorhythm. Not feeling it is what's a typical.
There are a lot of things to consider: blood sugar, thyroid issues, poor diet. It could be as simple as the factory style school systems disagreeing strongly with your biorhythms. Public schools don't match teen biorhythms at all.
If really concerned, a doctors visit might be in order. My sleep disturbances require medication to correct.

See, that's just it. I'm homeschooled. [SIZE="2"]XP[/SIZE] But I think the problem is that I'm not used to not eating snacks in between meals, however, I think I'm starting ot get used to it. I got to bed at the usual hour that I usually do *cough11p.m.cough*, and woke up at the usual hour that I do (7:30), and I've been fine today. I do, however, know that I [SIZE="2"]NEED[/SIZE] to change the time I go to bed. I'm still thinking about getting my blood tested, just in case.

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby TheMeanestGirl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:11 am

All i can say is, thx for starting this thread, its very useful!
TheMeanestGirl

Return to General