Blood and Fat

Talk about anything in here.

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Ack... double? Sorry... I'm on dial-up here and it reloaded and posted again apparently.
USSRGirl

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Septimus (post: 1452733) wrote:Many people offered sacrifices and did not believe - there are examples of this in scripture. One verse states clearly that God DESPISES their festivals and sacrifices and would rather have the hearts of his people.

I would say that those verses (in Amos and a few other prophets, I believe) were referring to the Israelites who had turned from God as a sole source of help and added the gods of the people around them to their worship of God. One verse in Amos talks about how people were waiting for the Sabbath to be over so they could go back to cheating people - this is the mindset that is being dealt with when God said he hated their sacrifices. On one hand, they were following God's commands, but on the other, they were doing the opposite, missing the bigger picture.

They were doing the right things, but didn't really care about what God actually wanted: a total devotion to Him and the commands. It wasn't the sacrifices that saved people before Jesus' fulfillment of the law, it was belief in God and a desire to please Him that ultimately saved them, the same as now, and the sacrifices were a part of that trying to please God. God wanted the best animals as sacrifices, as a symbol of how He wanted the best of them. Malachi dealt with people who weren't bringing the best to God, who had settled into this spiritual complacency and corner-cutting, further driving in the point of God wanting our best of what we have to offer.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Septimus (post: 1452744) wrote:.
Topaz - XD My fault. Sorry for derailing it there. You may resume talking about blood... and burgers... is now a bad time to mention that I don't eat red meat?

'Tis alright. However, in the end my original question has been answered for the most part so I'm all good.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 pm

A lot of your postings, Nate, I feel are kind of rhetorical and fantabulous ( :) ). I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or legit. So... by your argument you're saying there is NO commandment to follow Jesus' spiritual lifestyle, the morality preached by the spirit as outlined in Timothy, James, Corinthians, ect.? I feel like with the whole "Jesus never got married" this is getting silly and into the realm of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin." PM if you wanna talk more.

Nope, the Bible doesn't quote me directly. Darn shame.
USSRGirl

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Septimus, you can argue without calling someone "ridiculous." The rest of your post was a reasonable rebuttal, but do without the first sentence.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby J.D3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 am

Nate (post: 1452748) wrote:But as far as I know, Jesus only said love God, and love others. Those don't rely on the moral aspects of the Law, just common sense. Feed the hungry, care for those who are less fortunate, praise and worship God as Creator. None of those are even expressly mentioned in the Law itself. Well okay, praising God is, but that's the only one I'll grant you. Paul even said one of the Ten Commandments itself ("Keep the Sabbath day holy") didn't even apply anymore.

It's kind of hard to put in words exactly what I want to say here, but I'll give it a shot!
I think if you really do love God first & love others as Jesus instructed us to do, then I'd say that the other 'moral' aspects (all the fiddly bits) are kind of included or are sort of a result from that, though I'll balance that statement with the fact that there are certain things to loving that we ourselves need to work on (I know there's stuff I'm still working on!)
Also, could you please PM me that verse from Paul on the Sabbath? I'm very curious about that... And your comments about steak & red meat were very amusing by the way! :)

Anyway, in answer to the original question, apart from consuming blood, fat or anything for that matter, as part of not-so-good worship (as others have already clearly pointed out), I'm pretty sure that rule in Leviticus doesn't really apply to us living under the New Covenant, so it's probably safe to say you can munch your Black Pudding to your heart's content!
(Personally, I cringe at the thought of consuming blood or straight fat though! :P)
J.D3

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 am

Eating blood and fat was simply forbidden in the Ceremonial Laws God placed over Israel.

God shows us in the book of Acts that food laws no longer apply.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2010:10-16&version=KJV

Still, it's just gross to eat certain parts of an animal.

I don't like that. We should live just as Christ lived. Christ didn't get married.

Well, so far, I'm doing a pretty good job XD

These are also an interesting set of verses:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20corinthians%2010:1-4&version=KJV
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Hansha » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 am

Dude! I like steak too!
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:01 pm

J.D3 wrote:I think if you really do love God first & love others as Jesus instructed us to do, then I'd say that the other 'moral' aspects (all the fiddly bits) are kind of included or are sort of a result from that

Most of them are, yes (don't steal, don't murder, don't bear false witness). But there are things people say are a moral issue that are not included nor do they result from loving God and others. I'm sure you know what I mean. No need to get into it here, we've already got a locked thread about it. XD
Also, could you please PM me that verse from Paul on the Sabbath? I'm very curious about that...

It's the whole "If one person considers every day the same that's cool and if a person considers one day holier than another that's cool too." I thought we did go over that in this thread (though I may have just hashed it out in PM with Temmy) but ultimately how you interpret that verse depends on how you feel. I feel Paul is talking about the Sabbath there, but you can interpret it otherwise and he wouldn't be. It all boils down to how you feel about it in the end. XD
(Personally, I cringe at the thought of consuming blood or straight fat though! :P)

Not a fan of pork rinds then huh?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby J.D3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Nate (post: 1458642) wrote:Not a fan of pork rinds then huh?

What are pork rinds??? o.O
Mack: Did I hear God call me an idiot?
God: *shrugs* If the shoe fits, honey. Yes sir, if the shoe fits...
The Shack, William P. Young

J.D3

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:39 pm

You've never heard of pork rinds? Geez, what kinda backwards country do you live in? ;p

Pork rind (known in the United Kingdom as pork scratchings, as a room-temperature snack, or crackling, served hot as part of a meal, and in Australia and New Zealand as pork crackle/crackling) is the fried or roasted skin (rind) of a pig. Frying melts most of the fat from the pork rind. Uncooked pork rind may be used as a fishing bait, or cooked with beans or stewed vegetables or in soups. The pork rind may have subcutaneous fat attached; see fatback.

By the way fatback is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It's a cut of pork from the back of the pig that's pretty much pure fat, fried up like bacon. It's also pretty tasty. Now I want a fatback biscuit...

Nate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Pork crackling is dee-lish-us! Very unhealthy though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby J.D3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 am

[quote="Nate (post: 1459527)"]You've never heard of pork rinds? Geez, what kinda backwards country do you live in? ]

Oh, so sort of like crackling! Dunk shoen Nate, your culinary insights are much appreciated! (And as my location implies, I comz from backwards Aussieland, where the only food we knowz is shrimp, sangerz & slabs of BBQ'ed kangaroo! Bonza, mate! :thumb:)

(P.S. I formally apologise to all my fellow Aussie users for that rather brash stereotyping XD )
J.D3

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:09 am

I thought you called them prawns.

Nate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Ah, J.D3, you've ruined us! :P

Nate, we do call them prawns in Australia. J.D3 is a being cheeky.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Syreth » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Probably merely echoing what others have said here...

But instead of relying on the law anymore, we have the Spirit of God, Who convicts us of sin, righteousness and judgment. I'd recommend reading through Acts and the Epistles if you haven't already. The way that the apostles spoke about the law and the Spirit is very telling.
Syreth

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm

USSRGirl (post: 1452733) wrote:... you think people were saved by sacrificing sheep?

The sacrifices made were place-holders until Christ came along. He was the last sacrifice needed, so all those who observed the law up until that time ahd their early sacrifices made complete. If not, then anyone born before Christ couldn't have been saved, and Moses, Joseph, and anyone who passed on earlier wouldn't have been doomed from the start.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Previous

Return to General