What's your favorite anime opening?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Nadeko would like to have a word with you.

In terms of the OP sequence animation itself (that is, not the music), I feel like very few studios can match SHAFT's and Akiyuki Shinbo's creativity, both in terms of the the animation itself and the various permutations the studio puts a given OP sequence through. See, for instance, any of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's OPs or any of the ones from ef.
blkmage

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm going to say the opening for Honey and Clover. I say this for many reasons, but the two most outstanding are:
1) Can you think of any other anime opening which encourages you to do anything as edifying as "hug a cold puppy?"
2) In what other anime opening are you permitted to watch a little man made out of hot dog pieces dance to the theme song? None, I will wager.
I rest my case.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby samurai10 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 am

Bleach opening 12

Dragon Drive opening

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood opening 1

There's probably more, but I can't remember XD
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Agloval » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

I've only mentioned an ED so far. I suppose I could add an OP or two.

Like KhakiBlueSocks, I am fond of the Planetes opening. It's very neatly about the characters and about their business, space. And it doesn't shy away from the bad bits of rocketry (check out that shot of London).

The first Turn A OP doesn't care that you think it's weird. And, instead of the animators tweaking the opening animation to reflect events in the story, as the show progresses quite a lot of the shots in the OP take on quietly comic meanings. (I can't really explain it, but as the story goes on the identities of some of the people in the set of character portraits from 0:35 onwards become increasingly confused.)
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Asuka Neko » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 pm

No idea if anyone's said any of these already but...

The Tsubasa OVAs both have nice openings (actually, the other two seasons do as well, Tsubasa just has good music in general, but the OVA openings are my favorites.)

I don't know why, but I'm very fond of Kamichama Karin's opening theme.

I also like the one for Vampire Knight and the ending of Kuroshitsuji (did I spell that right?) I don't watch either of those anime, but I LOVE the songs!

The opening for Chobits, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Kobato are all ridiculously adorable and I love them. Shugo Chara's is good as well, but I am kind of sick of it after listening to it a bajillion times so that I could sing it for karaoke.

There are more... somewhere in the recesses of my brain.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm

I've come to love the second ending of Lovely Complex, "Bon Bon". It's a great song, and the pictures in the video are beautiful.

I can't stand the ending for Monster, but I love the opening, "Grain." It fits the anime perfectly.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Nozomi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Well, lets see... right now, Gundam 0079 has a catchy opening. Being as old as it is, it takes me straight into nostalgia with the way it uses those late 70s synthesizers, different singers/style, and of course, the fact that the version they use for the dub of the series on Crunchyroll... is the LP version. Warm, feel-good, optimistic fight music. Lol. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDokS_ha6vA

Also, Ah! My Goddess has excellent opening and ending themes, but by far the best one, in my opinion, is the opening for Season 2, Shiawase no Iro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znLsSy6WZS4&feature=related . Best use of bagpipes in a theme song EVER (counting Last Exile). I seriously want to go investigate more bagpipe music now, and the combo with the orchestrations in this song, and the way its sung, is so uplifting its just awesome. It's literally keeping me out of bad moods every time I listen to it.
There is always hope in the Lord for those who seek it.
Live each day as if it were your first, not your last.
Nozomi

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 am

I have a few I really like. My favorite ever would probably be the Ah! My Goddess season 2 opening. I also like the first Birdy the Mighty Decode opening, the Otome Youkai Zakuro opening, the Angel Beats opening, the Gosick opening, and Asobi ni Iku Yo opening.
Jake

Postby crazypackersfan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 am

It's hard for me to find an opening that I don't like. My favorites:

1. Evangelion - "A Cruel Angel's Thesis"
2. Haruhi Suzumiya - "Bouken Desho Desho?"
3. Fullmetal Alchemist - "Rewrite"
4. Inuyasha - "ANGELUS"
5. Ranma 1/2 - "Jajauma ni Sasenaide"
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews