Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Talk about anything in here.

Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:08 am

Borders, the 40-year-old chain that helped define the age of the book superstore, filed for bankruptcy protection on Wednesday, a widely expected move after years of increased competition, declining sales and months of missed payments to its vendors.

Publishers, who have anticipated the bankruptcy filing for months, said they hoped that it would be a chance for the beleaguered bookseller to reinvent itself. But they were also skeptical that the company’s deep-rooted problems could be overcome.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/borders-files-for-bankruptcy/?hp

I am sad. I like Borders better than the other big bookstore chains, but I guess that's because my local one is a pretty excellent store. Thankfully, my local store isn't closing at this time. Check to see if yours is on the closing list:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48960704/Borders-list-of-store-closings
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 am

A. Cool the 2 colsest to me don't seem to be closing.
B. I HATE READING LEGAL DOCUMENTS. That is the worst organization scheme for public reading EVER.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:28 am

Publishers, who have anticipated the bankruptcy filing for months, said they hoped that it would be a chance for the beleaguered bookseller to reinvent itself. But they were also skeptical that the company’s deep-rooted problems could be overcome.

Goes without saying. MSNBC marketed watch reported that Borders would file for bankruptcy on Monday and they would have a press release on Tuesday. Ends up being Wednesday that put out a press release.

Where I hate to see people losing jobs and I know that about five to ten Borders are closing up around the Atlanta area. I kind of had a problem with Borders and that was the pushing of the member rewards on people. I even had emails sent by them over and over about trying to sign me up as a reward member. It drove me to not go to Borders at all and bought books from Books a Million or B&N.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Okami » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

I got pretty freaked when I saw this. Borders is our closest good bookstore, at the local mall. Thankfully, it's not on the list so I'm in the clear for the moment...I prefer Borders to Barnes and Nobles (which is what I have in the local mall out by school) simply because I feel like I can find what I'm looking for with more ease. But I guess that also depends on the store, because there are B&N's out by my dad's house that I prefer over the B&N by school. Borders has just always felt more organized to me...
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:51 am

Aw, poor Borders. I do have to say I think it's easier to find the books I'm looking for at Borders. Better go check if the one by me is closing.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1459396) wrote:Check to see if yours is on the closing list.
The city I live in is a pretty inclusive sort of place; ergo, no Borders.

*rimshot*

I do hear that this may put a dent in the manga market's sales to casual customers, since apparently customers would rather stop buying a product than look for an alternate means to purchase it.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Beau Soir » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

This is sad, Borders bookstores are so awesome... Thankfully, the one nearest us isn't closing, but a few others around in this state are. ):

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Nanao » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 pm

So sad to see any bookstore closing : ( The one nearest us is not on the list, but in this area B&N tends to be a lot better than Borders. Our Borders tends to be really disorganised. Having said that, they do have an amazing manga stuff section, so I'm really happy they aren't closing ^_^
Nanao

Postby ADXC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm

It's not Barnes & Noble, so this doesn't affect me. I never really saw one in real life.

But I guess I can sympathize with those who did like Borders.
ADXC

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:35 pm

I think Borders overstreatched themselves. If you check the list a decent amount of the stores are in California, with the rest distributed pretty widely. They tried to saturate the market and pushed too far without being able to back up the volume of stores they had. Even with all the closings I can think of at least 3 borders in my general area in California.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Dante » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 pm

It's not Bookman's or Amazon, so my world will go on.

I have bought books at Borders (and at Barnes & Noble), but they've had a hard time competing with the internet as far as prices go.
Dante

Postby blkmage » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Yeah, I don't know anyone who goes to bookstores anymore. Amazon's cheap, ridiculously fast (1-2 days), and has everything.

Well, okay, I went into a Chapters once, but only for the Starbucks.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Amazon's shipping rate for books seems to be kind of high, to me. It's usually like 7 bucks just to ship a book. So I don't usually order books from Amazon unless I can't find it in a store locally, or if a Marketplace seller is selling it used for like a penny.

Also yeah, seems like a lot of companies think expanding is the answer to everything (look at what happened to Circuit City).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I much prefer companies that are cautious about their expansion and instead focus on maintaining a high level of service. In-N-Out, a burger chain out here in California is practically California exclusive for that reason.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I just wait until I have $25 worth of books to buy and get free shipping.
blkmage

Postby ashfire » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Two stores in the Wash DC area I know of will close (They were not far from each other) 7 all together but the one I do most of my shopping at will stay open and another near a Barns and Noble will stay open that I have been to.
We have either Borders, Barns and Noble or Books-A-Million in the Wash DC/ Baltimore area you can go to. You also have the Mom and Pop book or comic stores you can get some books at. I always look for certain magazines, Star Wars and manga when I walk in but sometimes there is that special book you need to look for.
Then there is still borders.com or similar to find the book you can't find in the store.
ashfire

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:25 pm

blkmage (post: 1459437) wrote:I just wait until I have $25 worth of books to buy and get free shipping.

That's a good idea o:
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 pm

But.... but..... Where else am I going to look for a wide range of manga?! Poor Borders.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby WhiteMage212 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I used to like to go to borders but recently, they have been having terrible organizational problems. Might just be the stores I visit.
In the beginning, God created HTML...- R. Zion
Men cry not for themselves, but for there comrades.-FF7 Crisis Core
"If it's not the gun that takes you down, it's the pen- myself
Know God, No fear.
If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! MOES. http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=43825[/URL].
WhiteMage212

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 am

blkmage (post: 1459437) wrote:I just wait until I have $25 worth of books to buy and get free shipping.

So you wait until you're going to buy one book?

I heard that today too. I've got a feeling our Borders is closing too.
Physical book shops tend to be excessively expensive. I like http://www.bookdepository.com/ instead.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Roberts » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1459708) wrote:So you wait until you're going to buy one book?

I heard that today too. I've got a feeling our Borders is closing too.
Physical book shops tend to be excessively expensive. I like http://www.bookdepository.com/ instead.

This.
Roberts

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 am

blkmage (post: 1459433) wrote:Yeah, I don't know anyone who goes to bookstores anymore. Amazon's cheap, ridiculously fast (1-2 days), and has everything.

Well, okay, I went into a Chapters once, but only for the Starbucks.

I always liked Borders "buy # get one free" deals. When I lived in Albany, NY, I had like, three Borders stores to choose from XD

At any rate, it's too bad this is happening :( I haven't been to one in years though, do to one not being around at all.

Now I'm stuck with Hastings...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 am

I really liked Borders. They had a very nice selection of manga (tended to be bigger than B&N), and I liked the atmosphere better. Plus, there's only one bookstore within 30 miles of my parent's house. And that was Borders.
Atria35

Postby Syreth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 am

The one in my town closed long, long ago, and I was thus saddened. Cool places with books should not be closed.
Syreth

Postby TheMewster » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Poor Borders. God bless 'em. Now, I've never been to Borders, but I hate seeing stores go out of business.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1459731) wrote:I always liked Borders "buy # get one free" deals. When I lived in Albany, NY, I had like, three Borders stores to choose from XD

At any rate, it's too bad this is happening :( I haven't been to one in years though, do to one not being around at all.

Now I'm stuck with Hastings...

Atria35 (post: 1459733) wrote:I really liked Borders. They had a very nice selection of manga (tended to be bigger than B&N), and I liked the atmosphere better. Plus, there's only one bookstore within 30 miles of my parent's house. And that was Borders.

Have you guys checked to see if those stores are closing? Borders ISN'T going out of business entirely. They're just closing under performing stores and clearing their debt load. I was actually surprised at how FEW stores were closing really... and it seems like nearly a quarter of them are in California.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:48 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1459769) wrote:Have you guys checked to see if those stores are closing? Borders ISN'T going out of business entirely. They're just closing under performing stores and clearing their debt load. I was actually surprised at how FEW stores were closing really... and it seems like nearly a quarter of them are in California.

Well, it still doesn't matter a whole lot for me, since the nearest real book store is two hours away.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:48 pm

"My" Borders isn't closing, so I'm content. ^^ Not that it would have made a huge difference if it closed, I never get to go there. XD

Actually, I tend to prefer Barnes&Noble, myself, but we never go there either. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1459769) wrote:Have you guys checked to see if those stores are closing? Borders ISN'T going out of business entirely. They're just closing under performing stores and clearing their debt load. I was actually surprised at how FEW stores were closing really... and it seems like nearly a quarter of them are in California.

I checked. The one by my parent's is going under. It wasn't in a big-business area. It was dying anyway.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Well apparently I CAN'T read a legal document well, since I was notified that one of my nearby Borders is closing. Darn. There are still several in our area though.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Next

Return to General