Sold their souls to the Devil?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Lynna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1459089) wrote:Heh, I've got to admit the whole tract with the movie kind of picked at me a little to, made me a bit nervous. I don't look forward to seeing what's on my movie at the end of my life.

I...acctually don't think that we're going to watch a movie about our lives. I really, really hope not anyways. I don't think God will do that to us since we're already christians...We've already acknowledged our sins, and he says he's forgotten them, so why would he bring them up again?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1459089) wrote:Heh, I've got to admit the whole tract with the movie kind of picked at me a little to, made me a bit nervous. I don't look forward to seeing what's on my movie at the end of my life.

Look at it this way. In this world where everyone watches each other's lives as a movie before proceeding on into eternity, everyone would be watching everyone else's life-movie. By the time that they show yours, you will be in good, all-of-humanity company. There isn't anything to be embarrassed about when every human being that ever lived (with the exception of one) has things that are just as bad, or worse, to be embarrassed about.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Peanut » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Nate (post: 1459091) wrote:No, everything's controlled by immortal time travelers from the year 5000 who have been stranded here since the advent of civilization and must ensure that history happens they way they know it to have happened, lest a time paradox occur and they cease to exist. DUH.

No, we're both wrong! It's actually an elder god, buried beneath the seas who will one day return to consume us all! I've seen the tracts (both of them!) so it must be true!
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Nate (post: 1459091) wrote:No, everything's controlled by immortal time travelers from the year 5000 who have been stranded here since the advent of civilization and must ensure that history happens they way they know it to have happened, lest a time paradox occur and they cease to exist. DUH.

We have entered an endless recursion of time.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Furen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1459099) wrote:We have entered an endless recursion of time.

Like Zelda?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:35 am

The thing is, I pretty sure that's not something that the Bible says will happen. While the idea of reviewing one's life after it's over isn't a new one, there's little credibility for it in the Bible.
Atria35

Postby Edward » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1458769) wrote:I'm not sure whether it much matters whether you've "made a deal with the Devil" or not]

Pascal (post: 1458787) wrote:
In all seriousness though, I don't believe you can really "sell your soul" like an item in a store. Demons would love to get someone to believe this about themselves however, because then they would feel salvation is impossible. Because of the feelings they would feel from such a 'pact', these people would conclude that a relationship with Christ was impossible for them.

There's actually a tract about this.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0078/0078_01.asp
Edward

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Edward (post: 1459199) wrote:There's actually a tract about this.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0078/0078_01.asp

The lesson I am learning from these tracts is that I should sell my soul to the devil for whatever my heart desires, then void the contract by returning to Jesus.

That's a great moral lesson.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

THE GUY'S NAME IN THAT TRACT IS JOHN FREEMAN.

YOU GUYS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQq12lDl0Kk

JOHN FREEMAN.

Also I like the whole "Except for little kids!" thing Satan said when that guy went to Hell. Especially since stuff like that usually has an asterisk to indicate the Bible verse where such things are mentioned...I wonder why that doesn't have a verse for evidence, HMM?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Nate (post: 1459202) wrote:THE GUY'S NAME IN THAT TRACT IS JOHN FREEMAN.

YOU GUYS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQq12lDl0Kk

JOHN FREEMAN.

That house with the zombie goasts that he blows up? It was the one he sold his soul to keep. It all makes sense now. Rather than being the actions of a madman trying to save his brother, as written by a guy trying to write the worst fanfic ever, Mr. Freeman's destructive impulses become deeply poignant attempts to erase his tragic and impoverished past.

Re: The Illuminati. Let's assume that they do exist and they use the all-seeing eye and all these symbols everyone thinks they do. If they want to remain a secret cabal (which would probably be more effective in their plan to take over the world - good luck with that anyway), then why do they feel they have to put their symbols everywhere they can? Why do they tell the outrageously famous entertainers under their employ to use them whenever they can, if they're trying to stay under the radar? More importantly, if nobody knows what they mean because they're a secret society, what does it matter if they use them or not?

The only plausible scenario I can see is a 20th Century Boys-type thing. In that series, the antagonist is using a mysterious symbol, much like people think the Illuminati/Freemasons/whatever is doing. Except for the handful of people who created it (who are also the people who can stop him), everyone else just considers it to be just another logo. However, Friend uses the logo to trap our heroes because they know what it means, and they're following it around to stop him. Last time I checked, the people who know about the possible connotations of the symbols people on the Internet yell and scream about aren't being tracked down and eliminated, so the analogy falls apart. At least, so far.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Not to mention the huge logistical, economical, and religious impossibilities of trying to control the entire world. The Illuminati, even if they do exist, can't possibly pose a threat to the world because what they would be trying to do is literally impossible.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Peanut » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Nate (post: 1459225) wrote:Not to mention the huge logistical, economical, and religious impossibilities of trying to control the entire world. The Illuminati, even if they do exist, can't possibly pose a threat to the world because what they would be trying to do is literally impossible.

Exactly!

This is why an elder god (or several) are behind everything. They have the actual power to control and manipulate the entire world without all the logistical nightmares that a human organization would have.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Previous

Return to General