Does anyone in here speak in tounges?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Midori » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 1 Corinthians 14:1-25 yet. It is a very clear and thorough lesson from Paul on the subject of speaking in tongues, what it is good for, and what it is not good for. Though some of the time, I think he might mean speaking in foreign languages, I think it would still apply to glossolalia.

My own position on speaking in tongues? If it is to mean speaking in foreign languages you're not supposed to know, then I know the apostles did this and it is an amazing spiritual gift. If it is to mean glossolalia, I have never seen it being done, so I cannot make a very informed judgement about it. My default attitude is to be skeptical though. I can't see the good it would do anybody so I wouldn't consider it a 'gift', but like I said, I have never experienced it first- or second-hand, so I am not an authority on the topic.
Midori

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Interestingly enough the subnotes on that link all have an alt translation of 'in another language' for the entire first paragraph.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Midori » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Indeed, there's more than one thing "speaking in tongues" can mean.
Midori

Postby Sheenar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Midori (post: 1457618) wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 1 Corinthians 14:1-25 yet. It is a very clear and thorough lesson from Paul on the subject of speaking in tongues, what it is good for, and what it is not good for. Though some of the time, I think he might mean speaking in foreign languages, I think it would still apply to glossolalia.

My own position on speaking in tongues? If it is to mean speaking in foreign languages you're not supposed to know, then I know the apostles did this and it is an amazing spiritual gift. If it is to mean glossolalia, I have never seen it being done, so I cannot make a very informed judgement about it. My default attitude is to be skeptical though. I can't see the good it would do anybody so I wouldn't consider it a 'gift', but like I said, I have never experienced it first- or second-hand, so I am not an authority on the topic.

I've experience people who say they have their own "prayer language" between them and God. I've heard people pray in their prayer language. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it or what purpose it has (I asked a friend who has her own prayer language and prays in tongues about this and she said that it comes with the baptism of the Spirit --though I'm not 100% sure where praying in tongues fits into that), but to each his own, I guess.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Sheenar wrote:I've heard people pray in their prayer language.

They're...they're actually not supposed to do that. The Bible says that's not good. From 1 Corinthians 14 (which Midori posted), 15-17 say

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding]she said that it comes with the baptism of the Spirit[/QUOTE]
I'm a Christian, had a full-immersion baptism, and never spoken in tongues once. So she's clearly wrong about that.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Nate (post: 1457647) wrote:So yeah. Praying in tongues, especially with other people around, is a bad thing.

Especially if there's no interpretation... it compares that to somebody just mindlessly hitting a gong, even in the version where tongues is taken to mean a sort of holy speech.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Lynna » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Umm...Just to say this, Paul Only said Praying in Spirit was a bad thing if you do it all the time
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:00 pm

It's more an in the presence of others without interpreting is inappropriate thing.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:09 am

[quote="Nate (post: 1457647)"]They're...they're actually not supposed to do that. The Bible says that's not good. From 1 Corinthians 14 (which Midori posted), 15-17 say

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding]

Same here. Full immersion in a Pentecostal church. Never once have I had the urge for Holy babbling. Maybe I was doing it wrong XD

I'm with Nate. Praying in tongues around others does nothing for them at all.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Lynna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1457833) wrote:Same here. Full immersion in a Pentecostal church. Never once have I had the urge for Holy babbling. Maybe I was doing it wrong XD

I'm with Nate. Praying in tongues around others does nothing for them at all.

I think it's just a gift. Some people do it, some people don't, but it's more of a personal thing than anything else.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby kairo14 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:02 pm

If want to know what you should not watch and what you should to the glory of Jesus Christ our Lord then, this is a good thing and the scriptures provide this for us. Also if you desire to speak in tongues then the scriptures again answered this for you in 1 Corin. 12-14. As a Christian I ask Christ what he wants and does not want from me. He is my God and Savior. John 1:1 says He is the Word of God, thus I turn to the Bible knowing He has lovingly spoken to me about all things pertaining to life and godliness there. In power of the Spirit I can meet my God face to face in the scriptures. I am glad to go there.

I personally pray in tongues often, the key is personally. I love to pray in tongues knowing the Spirit prays for me, for I admit I need all the help God is willing to give me. This might be a strange to some seeing that I am a starch Calvinist. I am a charismatic / Calvinist. haha.
ImageImage
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]www.osheadavis.com / "MOES: Go, and scroll no more." [/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Dragonballz rocks, and, Jesus Saves / Naruto does multi-clone no jutsu,, but,, Jesus gives new-birth no jutsu[/SIZE][/font]
kairo14

Postby dothackzero » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:48 am

So yeah, as I get to hear the Holy Spirit better it'll be the same that he's telling me now only a more clearly right?
dothackzero

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:56 am

I'm confused.If you're already aware that you're hearing Him now, why do you need an amplifier?
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Peanut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Nate (post: 1457647) wrote:They're...they're actually not supposed to do that. The Bible says that's not good. From 1 Corinthians 14 (which Midori posted), 15-17 say

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding]

Not necessarily. I don't have time to give a well supported response, but I can post the bare bones of it. The general response to this objection is that praying in tongues is only a bad thing around people when there is no interpretation of it. But Nate, I do think just about everyone will agree with you that if someone just blurts out things in tongues in the middle of a service, and there is no interpretation. Yeah, that's pretty useless.

I will say that I generally view praying in tongues as being more of a personal thing unless you have the gift of interpretation as well.

Nate wrote:I'm a Christian, had a full-immersion baptism, and never spoken in tongues once. So she's clearly wrong about that.

I'm guessing her friend meant the baptism in the Holy Spirit which is different then actual baptism (or at least I hope that's what they meant).
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Peanut wrote:The general response to this objection is that praying in tongues is only a bad thing around people when there is no interpretation of it.

Right, I had meant that, but didn't state it directly. Praying in tongues in front of others is totally cool...IF someone is there to interpret it. But if there is no one to interpret, praying in tongues in front of others is bad, which is what I was trying to convey by quoting those verses.

As far as if you're alone, it's...probably okay? I really don't know. *shrug*

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Peanut (post: 1458389) wrote:I'm guessing her friend meant the baptism in the Holy Spirit which is different then actual baptism (or at least I hope that's what they meant).

I've actually heard this terminology most commonly used in religious context to imply that someone isn't a Christian if they haven't had a 'baptism of the spirit', usually resulting in them 'speaking in tongues'. It seems to be equating it to a second part of actual baptism, or a sign that it 'took'... or something like that.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm

The Bible doesn't say anything about needing to be "baptized in the Holy Spirit" to be a Christian, at least not from what I recall, and that's why I have a problem with that term. Furthermore, I don't even know what it's supposed to mean in the first place.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Peanut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:05 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1458410) wrote:I've actually heard this terminology most commonly used in religious context to imply that someone isn't a Christian if they haven't had a 'baptism of the spirit', usually resulting in them 'speaking in tongues'. It seems to be equating it to a second part of actual baptism, or a sign that it 'took'... or something like that.

I think I see what you are saying and if that's the case, I'd say ShioriHikari is right. Most Pentecostals and Charismatics that I'm aware of will tell you that the Bapitsm in the Holy Spirit is a separate event that can occur after salvation for those who want and actively pursue it. Most will also tell you that tongues is the physical sign for those who have been baptized in the Holy Spirit but not everyone (myself included) accepts that.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Because I hadn't heard of it until about a year ago, when I made a friend who's one of the Charismatics, and was under the impression that it was something to be wary of, I ended up realizing that, while the church services she has are interesting, when everyone's speaking in tongues and praying, they hit a tone and pitch and rhythm that works as a hypnotic for me.

That was really hard to explain to her, since she was curious why I kept turning her down after two Sundays at her church.

But I realized there was no way that I would ever feel comfortable going into a church and essentially being hypnotized.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:03 am

Atria35 (post: 1458518) wrote:Because I hadn't heard of it until about a year ago, when I made a friend who's one of the Charismatics, and was under the impression that it was something to be wary of, I ended up realizing that, while the church services she has are interesting, when everyone's speaking in tongues and praying, they hit a tone and pitch and rhythm that works as a hypnotic for me.

That was really hard to explain to her, since she was curious why I kept turning her down after two Sundays at her church.

But I realized there was no way that I would ever feel comfortable going into a church and essentially being hypnotized.

Yeah... that's just sort of creepy.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Sheenar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 am

Peanut (post: 1458389) wrote:I'm guessing her friend meant the baptism in the Holy Spirit which is different then actual baptism (or at least I hope that's what they meant).

Yeah, that's what she was talking about. I'm still not completely sure what that all means. I went with her to a conference in Kansas City over Christmas break and that was my first exposure/experience with the charismatic movement.

What the preachers/speakers were saying were biblical (and none of them nor the singers spoke in tongues from the stage), but I heard some people praying in tongues in the course of the conference (like when laying hands on someone and praying for their healing.)

I will admit that I was a bit weirded out about the last part. So I just focused on the messages being taught and the life application. My friend said that you need an interpreter to speak in tongues before the whole congregation, but don't if you're praying in your individual prayer language.

I don't know. This is all so confusing to me. They had a place at the conference where you could receive the baptism of the Spirit/your personal prayer language. I do not even have a clue what that is supposed to entail.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Sheenar wrote:My friend said that you need an interpreter to speak in tongues before the whole congregation, but don't if you're praying in your individual prayer language.

I'd like to hear her interpretation of those verses I posted, then, where Paul says "Do not pray in tongues in front of others" (except if there's someone there to interpret, as Peanut mentioned).

Nate

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm

If you read the whole chapter, you'll see that Paul is talking about order in a church service. If your paster gets up to preach, and, for whatever reason, delivers his sermon in Javanese, are you going to get much out of it? Right, probably not. So your pastor, in switching to Javanese, would not be helping his congregation. Really, he'd just be wasting everybody's time.

Now, on his own, when he's not commanding everybody's attention, it's fine and dandy to pray in tongues. You don't have to stop just because somebody else came in the room, any more than you'd have to stop reading your Bible if somebody else came in the room. Just don't expect either to particularly edify the other person.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Previous

Return to General