Maya's handy dandy guide on how NOT to write a fanfic.

Talk about anything in here.

Maya's handy dandy guide on how NOT to write a fanfic.

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 pm

After reading many many fanfics, I have noticed a pattern of mistakes(as I'm sure all fanfic readers and writers have) that just drive me bonkers.

So I decided to compile a list of things you should not do when writing fanfics. Feel free to contribute a few more rules.

No 1: Spelling. I've noticed several spelling errors that tend to repeat a lot in fanfic. One of them is spelling they're or they are as their. The second involves saying were instead of where, and other random mistakes. Rarely is the spelling error over a complex word. It's mostly over very simple words that can easily be fixed. One spelling error is not going to kill you, but a "patrn off bad speling can hut u." The simple way to fix this is to use the dictionary. Look up words that you aren't sure of. Most of all, make sure to look over your work a few times just for grammatical and spelling errors.

No 2: Pairings. I'll admit, pairing fanfics are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine; however, when you see the same mistakes made over and over and over, it gets a little tiring. One fanfic I recently read was a Rosario+Vampire/Spiderman crossover. It took the author no time at all to make both the characters Mizore and Kurumu fall head over heels in love with Spidey. If you're going to write a romance fanfic, please try to make the relationships believable. Have the characters go through experiences with each other. Have them learn about each other. Good love takes time to blossom.

No 3: OOC. I'm not one to complain that much about characters being "out of character." Mainly because it is impossible for someone to write one character in exactly the same way the creator wrote the character. Everyone brings their own experience and opinions to the table when they write fanfics. However, let's try to avoid making characters the exact opposite of what they are in canon material. For example, don't turn the nice guy Hideki from Chobits into a complete monster who enjoys eating kittens for breakfast. If you do, people aren't going to take your fanfic as seriously.
Yamamaya

Postby Okami » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

4. Deriving from #1, the over-use of the Thesaurus (especially one in-document!) Check to make sure that all words you use are intentional, and mean what you want them to mean. Don't just use these words to "spice up" your writing and then have it all melt down. ;)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby TWWK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm

No. 5: Most fanfics need to include dialogue. Even if you feel your dialogue is awkward and unrealistic, it's something you can work with and edit. Without it, your piece is likely to be monotonous and difficult to read.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm

TWWK wrote:No. 5: Most fanfics need to include dialogue. Even if you feel your dialogue is awkward and unrealistic, it's something you can work with and edit. Without it, your piece is likely to be monotonous and difficult to read.

What if you're writing a Gon fanfic?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TWWK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Nate (post: 1458396) wrote:What if you're writing a Gon fanfic?

Don't. Just...don't.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby samurai10 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! ^_^ *saves for later reference*

I'm writing a fanfic right now, and these'll help me. ^_^
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Something that I've noticed that I think needs to be commented on:

6. Punctuation is critical. One should know the proper uses of periods, commas, dashes, and those little things called ellipses. Do not forget to capitalize, and please write whole sentences.

Example of ellipses: ....

6. A) Do NOT capitalize everything that a person is saying, even if they're yelling. Such can be implied by other cues within the text. All-caps is obnoxious.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Another tip.

No 7: Don't write hate fics. Just because you hate a certain character does not mean that you should write a fic that accentuates all the negative traits of a character or adds negative traits that never existed to begin with. Writing a hate fic makes you seem silly and petty.
Yamamaya

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

8. Get a book on grammar.
9. No Mary Sues or variations thereof.
10. Use curse words sparingly, unless you have a character who can't stop cursing.
11. Use sex scenes only if they're extremely necessary, especially rape scenes.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm

rocklobster (post: 1458470) wrote:11. Use sex scenes only if they're extremely necessary, especially rape scenes.

QFT.

In fact, I will go so far with the rape to say: It's not a good plot point. 95% of rape and the aftermath of such is protrayed inaccurately and in highly insulting ways to those who've actually experienced it. Do not use rape unless you have done tons of research, talked with victims, and truly have no other course for your character.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

12) No Mary Sues or Gary Stews. Those type of charaters are very, VERY annoying. To find out if your OC is suffering from any of this, check out this:
http://forum.fanfiction.net/forum/Mary_Sues_Annonymous/48272/

I found this very helpful indeed.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm

rocklobster (post: 1458470) wrote:9. No Mary Sues or variations thereof.

steenajack (post: 1458479) wrote:12) No Mary Sues or Gary Stews.

Wow, two people posted it! I'm guessing that means we don't like Mary's and Gary's! :lol:
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Hey, have you guys ever seen "spork," which is when people take really bad fanfiction and essentially pull an MST3k on it, editing in their own commentary in bold text? A few years back I was really into that. I even sporked one of my own Mary Sue fanfictions from when I was too young to know any better.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 pm

On the note of Mary Sues, a character can be a self insert without being a Mary Sue as long as they don't gain control of the entire universe, be instantly loved by everyone, or lack any form of character flaws.

Generally anytime a self insert becomes the main focus of the fanfic, they turn into Gary/Mary Sues.
Yamamaya

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1458532) wrote:Hey, have you guys ever seen "spork," which is when people take really bad fanfiction and essentially pull an MST3k on it, editing in their own commentary in bold text? A few years back I was really into that. I even sporked one of my own Mary Sue fanfictions from when I was too young to know any better.

I've only read a My Immortal commentary my roommate did. After I read it, I shared it with some friends, who quoted it in their Facey Space statuses for a while.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Also, probably don't do crossovers. Crossovers can sometimes be pulled off well, but most of the time they are not. Usually someone ends up OOC, the two series are too vastly different in tone to fit together (Monster and Super Milk-Chan would not work well, due to the seriousness of the former and the goofiness of the latter), and the "mechanics" of how the world works don't mesh well (a Bleach/Death Note crossover would not work because of the conflicting nature of the afterlife of both series).

Finally, most crossovers would require tired old tropes and contrivances to work, such as "accidentally crossed into another dimension/parallel universe/went back in time/we lived in the same city our whole lives but never heard of each other."

It just doesn't work most of the time.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

Ante Bellum (post: 1458538) wrote:I've only read a My Immortal commentary my roommate did. After I read it, I shared it with some friends, who quoted it in their Facey Space statuses for a while.

Oh man, My Immortal doesn't even NEED any commentary. It stands alone either as a masterpiece example of horrifically bad writing, or as the most brilliant piece of trolling ever conceived by man.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nanao » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re-read your writing, preferably more that twice. And, leave time between your writing and your editing. If you try to edit too soon you have a tendency to miss little mistakes. Try reading the story out loud. It helps you to catch words that you may have over used.

Try to get someone else beta read for you. A fresh set of eyes is always helpful and ultimately it will make you a better writer. My beta readers have helped my writing immensely ^_^
Nanao

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Avoid self-insertions as much as you can, especially in the romance category of many fanfiction genres as it immediately chases a reader away and comes across as someone who desperately wants to live in that world. I mean, we all do, but don't make yourself too major a character when you can, or you'll be seen as a Mary Sue.

Also, make believable OCs. Not too Mary Sue and not too Plain Jane. The more realistic an OC is to a plot, the more accepted they will be.

And never...EVER...use all caps to illustrate when someone is yelling, or to point out certain verbs or terminology to signify it as important. A simple exclamation mark or italics (and sometimes bold print) can do that just fine.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby bkilbour » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Rule #783;
If it has been explained or done before in the comic.... don't repeat it.
Edward Elric doesn't have to explain why his arm and leg are missing again, and Goku doesn't have to get into a battle with omega shenron the exact same way he did in the anime and manga.

note; it's still okay to parody a scene, as long as you aren't wasting time.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm

I was guilty of this a few times in the past, but try to avoid creating an OC simply for the sake of falling in love with your favorite character. The temptation is great, no denying, and one can develop a realistic romance plot with said characters. If you must write a fanfic of that nature, keep it from being too sugary.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Ayato, I think all fanfic-writers at one point have been guilty of this. I know I'm one of them. That's why writing is a learning experience.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Return to General