Anime you think don't deserve the heaps of praise, and why they don't.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:48 am

Also, One Piece doesn't get "heaps of praise" in the United States. Most times, you can't even mention it without getting some kind of negative response. (It is extremely popular in Japan, though.)

But I mean, it doesn't deserve to be praised just because you don't like the art style? Well, have you ever even read it (or seen the anime)?

Technically speaking, there is nothing wrong with Oda's art. Ignore the style and look at his use of perspective, and the detail he puts into the backgrounds. The man knows what he is doing when it comes to drawing and frankly, I think he knows what he's doing when it comes to writing, too. One Piece easily outclasses Bleach and Naruto just on artistic merit alone, IMO. Let's not even start on how much better written it is than those two.

I'll tell you another show that doesn't deserve to be as well-liked as it is: Gundam SEED. Here, have an analogy:

Gundam SEED : ShiroiHikari :: Last Exile : Fish.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:11 am

Moribito is a series that had so much potential and squandered a lot of it. It could have done so much more to flesh out the world, its history and the characters who inhabited said world. Is it a bad show? Not at all. Not even close. However, it rarely gets described as a "decent adventure story" or an "OK fantasy actioner."

Know what is a bad show, though? Ninja Scroll. Freaking Ninja Scroll. Earlier, someone said "back in the day Inuyasha got love." Well, back in the day Ninja Scroll was considered part of the "holy trinity" of anime along w/ Akira and Ghost in the Shell (the latter being a movie that I cannot believe got brought up in this thread). Though anime was marketed quite a bit differently back then, I fail to see how anyone found this film any good. Explicit acts of sexual abuse held together by a flimsy ninja plot...not featuring scrolls. Awful.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:27 am

I personally never got what the big deal was about Akira, myself. I mean yeah, DAT ANIMATION but other than that it was crap, and crap put in a box and wrapped with pretty paper is still crap.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Hm, I don't think I've really come across an anime I hated. However, I never got FLCL and in the end I kind of walked away from that one on the last episode like, "wait, what just happened!?" Then again, I'm not that smart so if there was some deep meaning behind that anime then I missed it. Meanwhile, I was never fond of Digimon, Elfen Lied or Ghost in the Shell either, but that's just me. I didn't watch much of any of these anime so I might change my mind if I tried watching more of them. Though, not Elfien Lied. I couldn't even get through the first episode because of the violence.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:09 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1457173) wrote: Though, not Elfien Lied. I couldn't even get through the first episode because of the violence.

I admit it- After Higurashi, watching Elfen Lied was nothing.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Hmmm...I can't really think of any anime at the moment I think gets too much praise.

Well, maybe Bleach. But I have not seen enough of it to really judge. I saw like one episode (that had a dub that was....just OK in my humble opinion) and I read one chapter. Besides, I heard that it was really good when it started, so in order to properly judge this I'd have to go to the beginning.

MightiMidget (post: 1457022) wrote:Black Cat is not spectacular by any stretch, but it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be campy fun. =) It's cheesy and awesome, and I flat-out adore it. But not something I would recommend for someone looking for serious drama. :oops: Or serious, well...anything.

I personally thought it was spectacular, and although it isn't extremely serious, it did have it's serious moments, even some emotional. But yeah, everyone has their tastes! If we all liked the same things, there would be no variety and nothing would be interesting! >.<
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I'd have to agree with Yamamaya about Azumanga Daioh, I first read the manga then watched an episode of the anime and didn't really like it as much.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:53 pm

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:Well, back in the day Ninja Scroll was considered part of the "holy trinity" of anime along w/ Akira and Ghost in the Shell (the latter being a movie that I cannot believe got brought up in this thread).

I can't believe Ninja Scroll got brought up in this thread either. :p I love that movie so much. It's totally awesome. Much better than Akira at least. Heck I'd even say Ninja Scroll is far better than Ghost in the Shell.
not featuring scrolls

Yeah and Cowboy Bebop didn't have any cowboys in it. And Bleach doesn't have any bleach.

Don't even get me started about how there was no princess named Mononoke in Princess Mononoke.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Pretty sure Cowboy Bebop didn't have any Bebop in it either.

[spoiler]or any Rocksteady[/spoiler]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Pretty sure Cowboy Bebop didn't have any Bebop in it either.

[spoiler]or any Rocksteady[/spoiler]

http://priceisrightlosinghorn.com/

Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Cowboy = slang for bounty hunter

Bebop = the name of the ship they live on.

=)

Agree about Akira. Nostalgia really gets people.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby steenajack » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Letsee.....I honestly couldn't really get into Kodocha. It was a bit funny-ish....but it just wasn't really my kind of humor....it was too fast and furious for me to even laugh at the joke on time, because then I wouldn't be able to hear the next one that they told RIGHT after. Sana is just a really....ADHD character, don't get me wrong I think Laura did well with her...it's just, when it get's really hyper and unrealistic it starts to not become my thing.
I couldn't help but be a bit touched though when they got to some serious stuff though...still the humor just isn't my style.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Cloud500 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Well there are people dressed as cowboys in Cowboy Bebop anyway. :p
Cloud500

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:48 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1457196) wrote:Cowboy = slang for bounty hunter

Bebop = the name of the ship they live on.

This.

Also, I must say one little word in defense of Bleach. (*ducks*) It's fun. Can't something just be shallow and fun? I'm easily entertained, just not easily impressed. So I'm definitely not impressed by it, but even some of the filler eps are fun.

@AnimeGirl -- If you can explain what on earth happened in the ending of Black Cat? Please do. xD (I'm serious) I am still like "uh...eh?" About the whole thing. And I do think the characters are absolutely awesome.
MightiMidget

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1456993) wrote:For instance, Fish really doesn't like Last Exile, but most people tend to think Last Exile is a fantastic show. This would be a place for Fish to say Last Exile actually sucks and for the fans to try and convince him otherwise, or perhaps be convinced otherwise.
Nate (post: 1457008) wrote:I thought Fish has fully stated why he thought Last Exile was a terrible show. He'd just be repeating himself at this point I think.
mechana2015 (post: 1457104) wrote:http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=54989 <<< for my (and Fish's) opinions on Last Exile... probably fleshed out more than anyone ever wants to hear. (How does everyone forget that I didn't like it either?)
Nate (post: 1457112) wrote:I think because Fish has said it many times on the forums, and you haven't said it quite so much. Also you didn't post a picture of your MAL giving Last Exile a "worst ever" rating.
ShiroiHikari (post: 1457153) wrote:Gundam SEED : ShiroiHikari :: Last Exile : Fish.
I kind of enjoy that I haven't had to post in this thread to be a big part of it.

That said, I do have a somewhat extensive post in the works concerning Last Exile, my complaints and fixes for it. Perhaps I'll post it in this thread or another after I've refined it a bit. I know it's one of those things I never shut up about, but I don't feel I've ever really gotten into the nitty-gritty of it. I am convinced there is a SCIENCE behind its badness, one I intend to fully explore for the benefit of humanity.

Also, to everyone who hated FLCL, I have nothing to say for the show because it's the only time in my life I have ever watched something entirely and exclusively for the production values. Yes Fish is too shallow enough to regard something highly simply because it was nice to look at.
Nate (post: 1457187) wrote:Yeah and Cowboy Bebop didn't have any cowboys in it.
Cloud500 (post: 1457214) wrote:Well there are people dressed as cowboys in Cowboy Bebop anyway. :p
Fish and Chips

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Actually I'm gonna throw Black Cat on the pile here... I was told that it was amazing and found nothing particularly engaging in it. The concept, art and writing seemed sanitized.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Image

Dressing like a cowboy doesn't make you a cowboy! Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken! Unless he lassoed a calf and hog-tied it, he's not a cowboy and thus my statement of no cowboys in Cowboy Bebop stands!

Nate

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 pm

Here's another one I disagree with: Akira. Back in the 90's, this was THE anime to watch. It was played on Sci-fi channel's first ever anime block: Saturday Anime, quite a bit. The story was confusing, it has loads of blood, and, well...that's about it. I think the only reason people liked it back then is they were raised on our version of animation, which is geared at children most of the time. It baffled the audiences of the day that cartoons could actually be made for adults.
That being said, I have seen some of Otomo's other works and enjoyed those. Maybe I should give Akira another try.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:00 pm

^ I actually recommend going with the manga. The anime is the trope-maker for 'Akira Compression Syndrome', where you have 8+ volumes of a highly complex storyline turned into a 2-hour movie.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 pm

I wasn't a fan of Shiki despite it being pretty popular here on the boards and elsewhere. While it did manage to nail the mood occasionally, I thought there were too many characters with too little development. It didn't help that the mostly stagnant plot only ever really moved at the inconclusive and vague ending. I give them props for having an involved and somewhat scientific set of vampire rules, but take my props back for the random inclusion of daywalkers.

Atria35 (post: 1457174) wrote:I admit it- After Higurashi, watching Elfen Lied was nothing.

[insert lolwut picture here]
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I've never really HATED any anime, but I have plenty that I don't like. For example, I watched the first episode of Full Metal Alchemist, and to tell you the truth, it really looked like dark magic to me. And it was the good guys using it. I've never seen Death Note, but I've heard about it, and quite frankly, I believe that only God has the power to give life and take it away. Not a guy with a notebook, even if it is crime he's eliminating. I also watched the first episode of Bleach. Death gods that are good-- no, scratch that-- ANY living being that takes life away other than God, even if they send the soul to Heaven or "The Soul Society" isn't their job; It's God's, as in Jehova, The Lord of Lords, and The King of Kings.
Well, that's just my oppinion. I think I'm overly sensitive to dark stuff, but it gives me the creeps. >.<
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm

...I think you completely missed the point of this thread.

Nate

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Isn't the whole point of Death Note showing you how wrong and dangerous it is for a human to be in charge of such things though? In least that's what I got from that series. I can't speak for Bleach as I've only seen the first episode and I haven't watched FMA in years.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Death Note was a lot of things. One of the biggest was showing how giving humanity that kind of power corrupts them. While you could argue that Light was doing good at first, once he killed that FBI agent, it was clear he had been corrupted and turned evil by the Death Note's power.

My point was that Ally had completely missed the point of this thread. This thread isn't "anime you don't like" (although most people are going to post stuff they don't care for). This thread is for something you watched that a lot of people went "This anime is so great, I love this anime!" and when you watched it went "Wait why do people like this so much?" She says she doesn't care for the content, and that's fine, but the point is she's not putting forth reasons why she thinks the anime isn't worthy of praise, just "I don't like this content."

I mean it's like if I said "I hate green shirts! I watched this anime and it had a guy wearing a green shirt so it sucks!" That's not really a reason to think an anime is overrated.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Def Note is another one of those that I don't think deserves all the praise it gets. It started out with a lot of promise, but then it just...ehh. And I don't get why people like Light. I was under the impression that you weren't really supposed to like him.

Also, potato chips.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Atria35 (post: 1457174) wrote:I admit it- After Higurashi, watching Elfen Lied was nothing.

I don't get this post at all.

The violence in Elfen Lied is more explicit and rampant than it is in Higurashi. Not to mention the nudity.

Yes in Higurashi, the violence tends to foster fear but that's because it's a horror animu.

Also @blkmage. I meant to say Hetalia but for some reason I typed Quran. I really have no idea what I was thinking.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Quran High School Host Club? What kind of series would THAT be?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 am

Definitly agree about Akira. I heard for so long how amazing and awesome it was, and then I finally bought and watched it, and I was totally confused and bored.

I second Cowboy Bebop too. I saw it all in anime club, and enjoyed it for what it was, but it wasn;t the most amazing thing ever. As far as the whole "people on a spaceship having adventures" genre goes, I'd say Outlaw Star is better.

I think Miyazaki is really overrated. Granted, I havn't seen all his films, but the ones I have I only thought were just ok, not amazing.

Evangelion TV series definitly, although it may be more in a whole "seinfeld is Unfunny" kind of deal.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 am

Yamamaya (post: 1457794) wrote:I don't get this post at all.

The violence in Elfen Lied is more explicit and rampant than it is in Higurashi. Not to mention the nudity.

Yes in Higurashi, the violence tends to foster fear but that's because it's a horror animu.

It was an outright kill-violence vs. torture violence for me. Elfen lied may have had death and people dying, but even if it was gruesome, it would have been pretty instantaneous death- like that woman's head getting ripped off. I also felt that the nudity expressed wasn't so much fanservice as it was an expression of exactly how low the humans thought Lucy and her like were, so it also didn't bother me as much.

Whereas in Higurashi, you had prolonged pain and torture, such as being forced to rip out your own fingernails or being strapped to a board and had nails driven into your hands and being slashed at with a knife before dying, or even being exposed to gas that suffocated you. To me, the pain before death was made it all the more horrific.
Atria35

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:47 am

Nate (post: 1457780) wrote:My point was that Ally had completely missed the point of this thread. This thread isn't "anime you don't like" (although most people are going to post stuff they don't care for). This thread is for something you watched that a lot of people went "This anime is so great, I love this anime!" and when you watched it went "Wait why do people like this so much?" She says she doesn't care for the content, and that's fine, but the point is she's not putting forth reasons why she thinks the anime isn't worthy of praise, just "I don't like this content."

I mean it's like if I said "I hate green shirts! I watched this anime and it had a guy wearing a green shirt so it sucks!" That's not really a reason to think an anime is overrated.

By giving my oppinion, I stated why I didn't think they deserved all the praise they get. The title of the thread is "Anime you think don't deserve the heaps of praise, and why they don't". I stated why.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews