Your Final Text Message

Talk about anything in here.

Your Final Text Message

Postby Sheenar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:36 pm

A friend just sent me this video earlier today.

Please, please don't text while driving! It is SO dangerous! It really can wait until you are not driving.

Your Final Text Message
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Furen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Video unavailable
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 pm

It works for me.

I think you have to be logged in to Facebook to view it. The video isn't on YouTube, so I think that's the only link to see it.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Works for me, too, but I'm not logged in.

Dang.

That was something.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Video unavailable (but I'm logged into FaceBook when I try it).
Texting while driving is stupid, as is talking on the phone while driving. It should be illegal in the US, if it isn't already. Driving safely requires full-concentration. We want less idiots on the road, not more.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cloud500 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm

It's illegal in some states. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to stop many people from still doing it.
Cloud500

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean people stop doing it- kinda like drinking while driving or growing weed. It's illegal in a lot of major places in IL, and that doesn't stop people. A lot of them are the young, stupid (or should I say arrogant or ignorant) teens who just don't realize that it's dangerous.
Atria35

Postby goldenspines » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Here's a youtube link to the video for those of you who can't see the facebook one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs

It is very sad. :\
goldenspines

Postby Furen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Sheenar (post: 1457021) wrote:It works for me.

I think you have to be logged in to Facebook to view it. The video isn't on YouTube, so I think that's the only link to see it.

I was logged in and it still wasn't
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

*talks on the phone while driving* >.>;;

Although when I say that, what I mean is I'm not chatting with friends having conversations when I'm on the phone and driving. I'm saying things like "Okay, I'm lost...I'm passing this road right now" or "Yeah I'm on my way, I'm about 30 minutes away." Stuff like that.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1457031) wrote:Video unavailable (but I'm logged into FaceBook when I try it).
Texting while driving is stupid, as is talking on the phone while driving. It should be illegal in the US, if it isn't already. Driving safely requires full-concentration. We want less idiots on the road, not more.

In fairness this is true for anything that distracts a driver. Texting and making phone calls just happens to be trendy and obvious, but people eating, fussing with kids, messing with the radio and all those other ridiculous things they do behind the wheel on their morning commute are just as dangerous (and not at all likely to be outlawed explicitly, though well within a cop's purview to ticket for).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 pm

After almost being plowed into(literally) head on by an old guy texting and driving in my lane, I think texting makes it to the most dangerous distractions tier. Communicating on the Phone about important stuff is closer to permisable, because your eyes can be on the road at all times.

Anyways, one of the worst things I have seen was a person eating soup, driving up-hill on the highway during winter conditions. Both hands were on the soup. I figured they needed to attend a time management class. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 am

According to a survey, the least dangerous food to eat while driving is fries.

And though soup is pretty bad, apparently the most dangerous is tacos.

Nate

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 am

Rusty Claymore (post: 1457085) wrote:Anyways, one of the worst things I have seen was a person eating soup, driving up-hill on the highway during winter conditions. Both hands were on the soup.

Not to derail the thread, but I once saw a lady putting on makeup while eating with chopsticks. >.> I still don't know how she pulled that off and I was *there* when it happened.

On topic: TWD is even worse for those of us with touch-screen phones. My biggest distraction is choosing a new podcast, which only requires a few glances away from the road - and even then I usually opt not to do it if I'm not the only one on the highway.
Mithrandir

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 am

@Mith: O.O That's mystifying.

BoT: Yeah, I was mooching a ride off someone the other day, and in the course of our conversation, they whipped out their Iphone thingy and did an internet search in rush hour traffic. I don't remember much of what he said from there on since I was concentrating on the road, and judging whether or not to lunge for the wheel. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 am

That's quite horrendous.... really sad. Well-made video though.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:46 pm

That's one of the reasons I usually don't trust riding with someone my age. The first reason is because they tend to drive way too fast for my liking on the road. The second is because they they tend to talk on the phone while driving and sometimes text.

My mother has a van, which not only has a navigation system, but one of those things in which allows the van to sync with the phone and allow you to talk on the phone through the radio, allowing you to keep both your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road and able to talk on the phone. I want one of those when I get a car.

But really, casual conversations can wait while you're on the road. Unless you and the drivers around you are made of diamond, texting on the phone can wait.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:15 pm

I just want to point out that during the Superb Owl last night, there was an ad for a car that gives you Facebook status updates. This wasn't a joke ad, or something a third party would install in the car (like the people who installed backlights in the original GBA if you mailed it to them). The manufacturer put in a feature to give you Facebook status updates in your car.

I don't want to live in a world where this exists.

Nate

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Nate (post: 1457409) wrote:I just want to point out that during the Superb Owl last night, there was an ad for a car that gives you Facebook status updates. This wasn't a joke ad, or something a third party would install in the car (like the people who installed backlights in the original GBA if you mailed it to them). The manufacturer put in a feature to give you Facebook status updates in your car.

I don't want to live in a world where this exists.

...Wow. These companies are getting more creative by the second. still, Facebook statuses? Do they show them on a screen or something are actually read itout to you? That sounds pretty...just wow.

Wait a minute...Superb Owl? That's what I'm talking about! :thumb:
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 pm

You press a button and it apparently reads recent posts from your friends list out loud or something. Basically the ad was...eh I'll link it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHDFafqykI&feature=player_embedded

Actually one of the highest rated comments was pretty funny. "Tommy has just sent you a gift in Farmville." But yes, this is literally the worst idea ever.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I would see that as a disservice to have that in my car. Or any car.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Cloud500 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:53 pm

That would be both annoying and distracting.
Cloud500

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm jsut imagining a robotic voice reading out (during some random drive): 'Dude i'm totally hittin' on this chick in vegas and it's awesome wooo.' And having the most awkward person in the car, like your mother-in-law.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General