Long hair

Talk about anything in here.

Long hair

Postby Edward » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 pm

I was just reading in 1 Corinthians and came across this verse http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2011:14&version=TNIV

What does this mean, exactly? Didn't Jesus have long hair? (at least, thats how all the paintings show Him) Please help explain this to me.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:56 pm

I think you're taking that section out of context a little. The whole section is talking about covering your head during worship. We don't know whether Jesus had "long hair", but his hair in modern depictions is long- according to modern standards. What were the standards 2000 years ago?

It does overall give the impression that long hair for a man is disgrace, but I'm going to point to one of my friends who's in a really conservative, uuber-literalist branch. To her, this section means that she never cuts her hair (hasn't even trimmed it in two year, and it shows. So scraggly!). So it's about waist-length. This would probably be more like what is being said here- having waist-length hair for a man is wrong.

I just don't really care for this section overall. It says that because women are inferior to men (okay, I'm exaggerating here- but they are considered less Godly than men), they should wear long hair. I'm not up for that.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:08 pm

I think another thing that should be taken into consideration is that this is a letter to a specific place at a specific time. It's entirely possible that in Paul's day, in Corinth, hair past a certain length was a sign of being a prostitute or a worshiper of a specific deity. Things like this in these letters must be taken within the context of the culture at the time they were written.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:10 pm

It's cultural context. Paul was writing to the people in Corinth, using language for and referring to customs within their culture. This verse (and others like it) do not mean that men aren't allowed to have long hair, nor does it mean that women are only allowed to have long hair. XD Any other interpretation (i.e., an interpretation that requires men and women to keep their hair a certain length to retain righteousness) is legalism. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Short hair on women is totally hotter than long hair.

...just throwing that out there.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:30 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1456100) wrote:I think another thing that should be taken into consideration is that this is a letter to a specific place at a specific time. It's entirely possible that in Paul's day, in Corinth, hair past a certain length was a sign of being a prostitute or a worshiper of a specific deity. Things like this in these letters must be taken within the context of the culture at the time they were written.

</thread>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lynna » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Baisically, the passage is saying women should cover their hair in worship, and why. I think, though that it says that because back then if you were a woman with uncovered hair in public, it normally meant you were a prostitute, and was considered immodest, so I think to apply it to modern life it would mean don't dress innapropriatly during public worship. Most of the rest of the passage is very confusing and, as Atria pointed out, rather unnerving to a woman reading it. Although it does say "women aren't independant of Men, and Men aren't independant of Women" And I do agree with that
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm

I asked this very question last year on a radio program called Pastor's Perspective. One of the men on the air (Pastor Chuck Smith), pointed out that the verse states that nature itself teaches that it's a shame. He also agreed that it becomes very legalistic, especially if you have to ask "Well, how long is too long?" and other related questions.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1456116) wrote:One of the men on the air (Pastor Chuck Smith), pointed out that the verse states that nature itself teaches that it's a shame.

I would like to know the cultural context and background for that specific phrasing though. Without that I'm not sure what part of nature teaches us this since animals have uniform hair for both genders, in many cases, and humans left without tools won't stop growing hair. If anything SHORT hair is unnatural, since it requires alteration, so I think that there may be a cultural statement going on here that has been lost over the eons.

There are many cultures around the world that don't believe that short hair is disgraceful, and indeed many for whom the CUTTING of hair was a disgrace, used to indicate shaming or even enslaving of the person who's hair was shorn.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 pm

We have to understand that many of these minor rules are Jewish in origin, not necessarily that they're sins against God and that he was displeased with long hair. Personally I find waist-length hair on women to be unattractive but that's just me.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TGJesusfreak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Lynna (post: 1456115) wrote:Baisically, the passage is saying women should cover their hair in worship, and why. I think, though that it says that because back then if you were a woman with uncovered hair in public, it normally meant you were a prostitute, and was considered immodest, so I think to apply it to modern life it would mean don't dress innapropriatly during public worship. Most of the rest of the passage is very confusing and, as Atria pointed out, rather unnerving to a woman reading it. Although it does say "women aren't independant of Men, and Men aren't independant of Women" And I do agree with that

Along with what Mech said, this is a good point. Take it within it's cultural context. and also apply it to what it means for us today. I think it also might be taken sybolic as well. Like dont dress weird and innapropriate for church..? XD idk there could be a couple thing you could take away from this.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

HIPPIES ARE THE DEVIL; THE BIBLE SAID SO.

Okay, not really, but I'm not sure the length of a person's hair has anything at all to do with whether they can effectively serve God, and I don't think a man with long hair is necessarily an abomination (unless he doesn't take care of it and gets all nasty. YEESH). Look at Samson: He was not allowed to cut his hair. Pretty sure he still had supernatural power from God.

I'ma go with the people who say "cultural context."
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Dante » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

EDIT: Gah, NINJA'D!!!
Dante

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:32 pm

See the post directly above yours: I do believe I may have ninja'd you.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Okami » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Don't forget about the Nazirite vow (Numbers 6, emphasis v.5) and also that Paul, author of 1 Corinthians, spent time as a Nazirite (Acts 18:18) At least, that's what I think of first when I come to this passage as I fumble for context. We're going to be discussing 1 Corinthians soon in my NT Epistles class, so I'll let you know what information I come across when that time comes. Although I have other things to pick my New Testament professor's brain about beforehand, but if I get the chance, I'll bring it to attention. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

For reference I doubt Jesus look anything like the paintings of him today. He would probably look Arabic if anything, meaning that his skin color would be one or two shades browner than most modern images of him.

This is an artist rendition of how the average person would have looked in that region during that time. I sincerely doubt he looked Roman/Italian.

*Edit - There is a physical description of him in revelations, but it sounds largely poetic. I must admit I laughed when I read of the seven stars on his right hand.*

Anyhow, long hair, long hair. Works with some, not so much with others I suppose. It related back to some worship principles back in the day, but the demonic description used by some Christians today is frankly overused. It would take a lot more than long hair to get to such a stage.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Jaden Mental (post: 1456152) wrote:Image

403 Forbidden. Dang.

In any case, this has helped my understanding of the passage, and I appreciate it!
Atria35

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Oh well, it's just a picture of what one would expect to be an average middle eastern guy at the time, but still.

Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Jaden Mental (post: 1456195) wrote:Oh well, it's just a picture of what one would expect to be an average middle eastern guy at the time, but still.

Well, I meant the thread was helping my understanding of the passage.

But it's an interesting picture! He looks like a nice guy :)
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 pm

I think it was more of a cultural thing. I really don't see how the length of your hair would determine your relationshio with God. You know what I mean? Meanwhile, I'm going to admit I do tend to find longer hair on guys attractive. :red:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Lynna » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1456198) wrote: Meanwhile, I'm going to admit I do tend to find longer hair on guys attractive. :red:

Same here actually hehe XD as long as they keep it nice anyways...
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Lynna (post: 1456213) wrote:Same here actually hehe XD as long as they keep it nice anyways...

Ahaha! Yeah, me to. Not that I can talk. My hair stinks. It gets so frizzy and untamable, I really want to shave it all of sometimes. :mutter:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Cardiche007 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:05 pm

The thing against long hair is cultural. Corinthian Greeks, like those in neighboring city-states, customarily wore their hair short whereas Greek women grew their hair long.

Look under clothes & accessories:

http://www.crystalinks.com/greekculture.html

Men with long hair were thus viewed as effeminate.
I still don't understand anything!
You have taught me softly
Even the true meaning of eternity
Cardiche007

Postby Rewin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Nate (post: 1456103) wrote:Short hair on women is totally hotter than long hair.

...just throwing that out there.

I strongly disagree with you.

That's my only contribution to this thread, I think everything else was covered ;)
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 pm

I always thought it had to do more with men not having effeminate hair. Obviously, long hair in of itself isn't sinful, as demonstrated in Samson's case. By the way, I don't see anything about the passage calling women less Godly than men.

If you're interested, Reverend Henry has an interesting commentary on it: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc6.vii.xii.html
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1456231) wrote:I always thought it had to do more with men not having effeminate hair. Obviously, long hair in of itself isn't sinful, as demonstrated in Samson's case. By the way, I don't see anything about the passage calling women less Godly than men.

If you're interested, Reverend Henry has an interesting commentary on it: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc6.vii.xii.html

It's later in the same section (NIV 2010, though)-

" 7 A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man."

Since Man is closer to God, then it's not okay for him to have long hair, but since a woman comes from Man and therefore is farther from God and His image, women can have long hair.
Atria35

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 am

I don't believe Paul is calling women less godly or farther away from God, but stressing that women are subject to men. I've never even heard the idea that that passage is calling women less godly than men. Also, we know that isn't true, so that can't be what the passage means.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 am

Wither it was considering women less Godly or not I think for the most part we can agree it was more of a cultural thing or Paul's own opinion right? We know God doesn't use favortisim.

TopazRaven

Postby bkilbour » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 pm

um... ya'll oughta focus more on the whole passage rather than the "context."
Read 1 Corinthians 11;16
"but if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God."

It's the same vein as whether people eat food sacrificed to idols or celebrate certain holidays; Paul believes that men should have short hair and women should have covered heads, but he also concedes that it doesn't matter in light of Christ, and that for the sake of the brethren, he won't make it an issue should somebody not follow that custom.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby armeck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 pm

idk if this has been mentioned (there was a lot to read) but at the end of that section paul says "if this causes a discrepancy among you, i have no such custom" it was a custom to begin with... not a law
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Next

Return to General