Is there such a thing as luck?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 pm

My philosophy on the topic is simple: rely on God and pseudosciences, but also realize there is such a thing as "Luck" and have the openmindedness to include it in the equation of life.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1455779) wrote:Back in the day, Jews did have the assumption that everything that happened was God's will anyway. Obviously this has kind of still stuck around to Christian thought.

True, but they also deeply believed in Free Will, from my understanding. It was considered a great paradox. I'll have to see if I can dig up information on it.

EDIT: It looks like wikipedia has some information on this topic here.

Hm, wikipedia says that free will is an axiomatic belief to Jewish thought.
The belief in free will (Hebrew: bechirah chofshit ב] have set before you life and death, blessing and curse: therefore choose life" ( Deuteronomy 30:19).
Free will is therefore discussed at length in Jewish philosophy, firstly as regards God's purpose in creation, and secondly as regards the closely related, resultant, paradox. The topic is also often discussed in connection with Negative theology, Divine simplicity and Divine Providence, as well as Jewish principles of faith in general.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

I gave up trying to make sense of the world some time ago. =)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:16 am

Nate (post: 1455639) wrote:Hmm. Okay, fair enough. Obviously I can't force you to debate/argue with me, and neither of us will likely concede to the other. I do find it a bit odd to believe in something with no reason or evidence to believe in it, but that may be a failing of my brain.

I do have plenty of reasons and evidence, I just don't feel like debating. Ephesians 1,2 and Romans 9 are reasons enough for me at least. It's not like I'm pulling what I believe out of my hat here XD (I don't even know how to debate that. Like, it says it here in plain black and white, that's all I've got.) Do I fully comprehend why if if we're all predestined to Heaven or Hell, yet we're still punished for sins? No, I don't. But, I don't really have to either. There are plenty of thing no one will ever comprehend about God and the Bible and that's ok.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:53 am

I believe in luck in a Napoleonic sense. It is something that can be mastered. If one generally does everything he can do correctly, while patiently awaiting for the right opportunity, various additional factors will go his/her way whereas something less prepared for would not have the same 'lucky' outcome.

In the general sense? Eh, I trust odds when I play Texas Hold'em, but if I am winning a lot, sure, I suppose I do during those moments.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Previous

Return to General