the ultimate question

Talk about anything in here.

the ultimate question

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 pm

OK, time for the question of the ages: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? I say yes.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Basic laws of physics say yes, unless this isn't earth we're talking about.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Peanut » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:41 pm

If a Peanut posts in a thread and no one bothers to read it, did he type any words?
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Sparx00 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 pm

A better question would be, if Jimmy cracked corn and nobody cares, then why is there a song about him???

To answer the question I'd say... Almost.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 pm

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? Duh. XD
But before that question: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, did it actually fall? Hmm?
Also, God heard it. God also told it to make a sound when it falls. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:50 pm

If a tree falls on a mime in a forest, does anyone care?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Okami » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

To OP's question, yes, I think so. xD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:27 pm

The answer, according to science, is actually no, because sound only exists if there is someone to hear it. Sound is wave vibration that is perceived by the ear and then read by the brain as sound. If there is no ear (and brain), there is no sound.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1455258) wrote:because sound only exists if there is someone to hear it.

According to what science? Quantum physics?
Standard mechanics says a tree is a large mass, which is falling against a large uncushioned mass (the ground), which will cause movement in the air particles, which is sound.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Warrior4Christ wrote:Standard mechanics says a tree is a large mass, which is falling against a large uncushioned mass (the ground), which will cause movement in the air particles, which is sound.

WRONG. Sound is those vibrations stimulating the eardrum. Without an eardrum, it's just vibration, NOT sound. It can't be a sound unless someone hears it. :p

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 pm

There is no tree. There is the Force.
Yamamaya

Postby Dante » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm

If a Cat dies in a box from poison gas released by determining the spin of an electron, (with the poison released if the electron is spin up, and not released if it is spin down). But no one opens the box to see if he's dead, is he really dead?
Dante

Postby Midori » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I think most people including me think of air vibrations as sound, not ear vibrations.
Midori

Postby Lynna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 pm

If I blow a super-pitch whistle that no one can hear and there are no dogs cats or birds to hear it, does it make a noise?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Midori wrote:I think most people including me think of air vibrations as sound, not ear vibrations.

But then we have the problem Lynna just said, such as dog whistles that are too high-pitched for human ears to hear. They produce air vibrations, but we don't hear them, yes? So does that qualify as a sound if we can't hear it? :p

Nate

Postby Dante » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 pm

I think most people including me think of air vibrations as sound, not ear vibrations.

Well... you're both right. We don't call it "the speed of sound" for nothing but... What we "see" isn't really "light", it's an impression our brains create of light, the same with sound. At face value, those experiences don't exist, they only exist because that is the experience our brains give us since we are born. It's no small wonder that we think the images in front of us are "real" as well as the sounds we perceive, but that's just a simplified end user response that our brains give us. It's not "real", the color blue is just one electromagnetic vibration while red is another, actual [color="Red"]this [/color]doesn't actually exist in nature, that's just an experience of the mind in translating electromagnetic vibrations into experience.

But of course, if we wish to define these words by the root of their causes, then we equate our language so that color = light frequency and sound is a vibration in a molecule. In this context, we're not talking about the experiences themselves, but the origins of the experience, which are the real things.

So it all depends upon the context of your language as English just doesn't take a stand.
Dante

Postby Midori » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Nate (post: 1455302) wrote:But then we have the problem Lynna just said, such as dog whistles that are too high-pitched for human ears to hear. They produce air vibrations, but we don't hear them, yes? So does that qualify as a sound if we can't hear it? :p
According to my system yes.

Basically, every sense we have is a measurement of some property of the universe around us. Sight measures light, color measures absorption, touch measures pressure, temperature, etc. And hearing measures vibrations. I call the vibrations sound, but whether you call the hearing or the vibrations sound doesn't change physical reality.

EDIT: Also, what I said "I think most people..." is a famous weasel-phrase. Don't always trust people who say it. :]
Midori

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 pm

If air vibrations we can't hear aren't sound, then IR and UV aren't light either, since we can't perceive them.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby MxCake » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:50 pm

God hears it so i said yes :D muhahahahaha!
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Sparx00 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1455249) wrote:If a tree falls on a mime in a forest, does anyone care?

If a mime stubs his toe and nobody is around to hear him scream his head off, is he still a mime?
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Yes. Just becasue no one is there to hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't make a noise ^^ Just as, just because no one was there to witness something happen doesn't mean it didn't happen ^^ Was that what you were getting at? Or, the secret message behind the question ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Midori (post: 1455309) wrote:According to my system yes.

Basically, every sense we have is a measurement of some property of the universe around us. Sight measures light, color measures absorption, touch measures pressure, temperature, etc. And hearing measures vibrations. I call the vibrations sound, but whether you call the hearing or the vibrations sound doesn't change physical reality.

EDIT: Also, what I said "I think most people..." is a famous weasel-phrase. Don't always trust people who say it. :]

Exactly.
And "sound" to humans would be defined as vibrations in the range 20-20,000Hz -ish, and a tree falling would create a range of vibrations, some of which are surely in that range.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:16 am

The little woodland animals it nearly crushed heard it fall.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 am

I think the purpose of the original question has by now been utterly defeated.

The classic "tree falling in the forest" question, like the famous "What is the sound of one hand clapping?", is intended to instill a zen-like state of wonder. Critically examining the question from every possible angle and analyzing the living heck out of it creates the exact opposite effect, distracting the mind by cluttering it with a million questions at once.

But if you must have an answer, how's this:

It doesn't matter.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1455380) wrote:I think the purpose of the original question has by now been utterly defeated.

The classic "tree falling in the forest" question, like the famous "What is the sound of one hand clapping?", is intended to instill a zen-like state of wonder. Critically examining the question from every possible angle and analyzing the living heck out of it creates the exact opposite effect, distracting the mind by cluttering it with a million questions at once.

But if you must have an answer, how's this:

It doesn't matter.
I have a friend who can make a clapping sound with just one hand.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Lynna » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:51 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1455400) wrote:I have a friend who can make a clapping sound with just one hand.

I'ts called "snapping your fingures" all though other people I know have their own answers to this question, even if I don't relly understand them
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Pascal (post: 1455282) wrote:If a Cat dies in a box from poison gas released by determining the spin of an electron, (with the poison released if the electron is spin up, and not released if it is spin down). But no one opens the box to see if he's dead, is he really dead?

Did you have to bring Schrodinger's Cat into the mix, Pascal?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:36 pm

If S is the set of sets that do not contain themselves, is S a member of S?
blkmage

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:45 pm

What happens if Pinocchio says "My nose will grow"?

Nate

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:56 pm

A cretian tells the truth.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Next

Return to General