What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 am

The Trouble With Angels- one of my mom's faves. Still cute and funny!
Atria35

Postby Wolf-man » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Lets see I have watched quite a few films recently.

The Green Hornet - The action was fun and the Black Beauty was awesome but the movie as a whole was pretty terrible. Seth Rogan is on my list of worst actors ever because of this movie. I had never really seen him in anything other than the voice of Mantis in Kung Fu Panda but after seeing this I realize how awful of an actor he is. The only reason I ever wanted to see him on screen was to see the Green Hornet costume. Also what made the movie worse was that language and sexual innuendos were WAY over the top, especially for a PG-13 rating.

Frozen - This movie was amazing. I highly recommended it. It is one of the most realistic Horror movies I have ever seen. There are a couple unbelievable things in it but overall the characters acted exactly how you would think someone would act stuck several feet in the air on a non-working ski-lift...for a week. The music was great and really helped to set the mood and make you feel for the characters. The camera work was amazing and again set the mood and gave a great scope the lay of the land. I recommend it to Horror fans and non fans alike.

Laid to Rest - This was a descent modern slasher. I liked Chrome Skull. He was interesting enough to turn the movie from "seen a billion times before" to this is kind of interesting. I liked the plot and mystery, although the reveal was kind of anti-climactic. The kills were great and probably some of the best I have seen in a while. The idea of the video camera on his shoulder was smart and intriguing. It made for an interesting look at how technology has effected the modern American Horror film. I enjoyed and I look forward to Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2

Shiver - This was a really good Spanish Horror film. I am not a fan of the whole "feral child is the killer" thing but this movie made it work. It was nice and atmospheric and had good scares. I recommend this to Horror fans.

Watched SAW 4 for the second time. Still good even though I know what the twist is. I like how they set stuff up in the very beginning and when you watch it for the second time your like "OH MY GOSH!!! IT MAKES SENSE NOW!!!"
Wolf-man

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:39 pm

At the insistence of my sister, I watched Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band, one of her favorite movies, and still the only movie made by pulling Beatles songs out of a hat. While on drugs.

The Beatles themselves are nowhere to be found - their songs were covered by a Who's Who of late-60s bands, like Earth, Wind and Fire, the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, George Burns(!), Steve Martin (in his film debut!), Alice Cooper (in a hilarious drug trip-inspired sequence), and Aerosmith (while stoned out of their minds). The cover versions, surprisingly, are really good, especially Aerosmith's version of "Come Together," but the movie holding them all together is an incoherent, unintentionally hilarious, boring mess. It's on the border between MST3K-bad and just boring: it's trying to be a comedy at parts, with cartoony sound effects and sequences where the LSD took over, but it's trying too hard to be serious in others. Pretty much nothing works.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I'm currently having a Star Trek movie marathon, starting with "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". I'm watching this one at night because...well...I could use a good nights sleep, and "Star Trek: TMP" has never let me down yet. ::rimshot::[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 am

Lion King 1 1/2
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1452602) wrote:Lets see I have watched quite a few films recently.

The Green Hornet - The action was fun and the Black Beauty was awesome but the movie as a whole was pretty terrible. Seth Rogan is on my list of worst actors ever because of this movie. I had never really seen him in anything other than the voice of Mantis in Kung Fu Panda but after seeing this I realize how awful of an actor he is. The only reason I ever wanted to see him on screen was to see the Green Hornet costume. Also what made the movie worse was that language and sexual innuendos were WAY over the top, especially for a PG-13 rating.

Frozen - This movie was amazing. I highly recommended it. It is one of the most realistic Horror movies I have ever seen. There are a couple unbelievable things in it but overall the characters acted exactly how you would think someone would act stuck several feet in the air on a non-working ski-lift...for a week. The music was great and really helped to set the mood and make you feel for the characters. The camera work was amazing and again set the mood and gave a great scope the lay of the land. I recommend it to Horror fans and non fans alike.

Laid to Rest - This was a descent modern slasher. I liked Chrome Skull. He was interesting enough to turn the movie from "seen a billion times before" to this is kind of interesting. I liked the plot and mystery, although the reveal was kind of anti-climactic. The kills were great and probably some of the best I have seen in a while. The idea of the video camera on his shoulder was smart and intriguing. It made for an interesting look at how technology has effected the modern American Horror film. I enjoyed and I look forward to Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2

Shiver - This was a really good Spanish Horror film. I am not a fan of the whole "feral child is the killer" thing but this movie made it work. It was nice and atmospheric and had good scares. I recommend this to Horror fans.

Watched SAW 4 for the second time. Still good even though I know what the twist is. I like how they set stuff up in the very beginning and when you watch it for the second time your like "OH MY GOSH!!! IT MAKES SENSE NOW!!!"

Few comments on this post 1: Frozen was a great survival horror, my only grip were the characters where dumb like holy crap why would you do that dumb. I disagree that any normal person would act like that it doesn't work they would not be that dumb. Sorry bit of vent there, i still really enjoy they movie.2: laid to rest was a good america slasher but the only reason it was made was Tom Savani (sp?) , the guy you did gore effects in Dawn of the Dead, day of the dead and Maniac wanted to make a gore picture. The video camera on his shoulder was a cool idea just not used enough or well enough

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyways..........I watched Hatchet a fun little horror/comedy. I can't recommend it due to nudity and a lot of gore
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Sorry for the double post but i felt as though this was needed. Just finished buried and well i am gonna let my facebook status speak for itself

My facebook wrote: I am sitting here thinking about something clever or deep to say about buried but i honestly can't. It has left me literally speechless of things even to say in my head. The color is completly drained from my face and I just can't put it into words. By the end you are just drained because of the emotions this film has put you through from general fear to joy to sorrow .......so yeah

GrubbTheFragger

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I realize that I forgot to mention Spy Next Door in my last post. (I knew I was forgetting something. >.>) Yeah... I guess that says it wasn't an incredible film. ^^;; But it was harmless fun.

Also, it cracked me up to see the guy who played the love interest in Taylor Swift's "You belong with me" video in this movie. [spoiler]He plays one of the bad guy's thugs! XD[/spoiler]
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:26 am

Wolf-man (post: 1452602) wrote:Shiver - This was a really good Spanish Horror film. I am not a fan of the whole "feral child is the killer" thing but this movie made it work. It was nice and atmospheric and had good scares. I recommend this to Horror fans.

Shiver's an awesome movie]adore[/i] that music, I've discovered that I like this version less and less every time I see it. So many things just don't compare with the BBC.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm

More rentals~

Red--Good movie. Not epic, or brain-imploding awesome, but not lame or average, either. Good. It slowed up in a couple places, but not for long. And it was funny.

The Maiden Heist--Odd movie. Seriously. Also funny, but... weird in some ways. @_@ Or unusual?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 pm

The Librarian: The spear of whatever. One of those made-for-tv movie series that's just a whole lot of fun. I wish they made more like it!
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Saw Nowhere Boy tonight! Not as good as I was hoping, and it felt a little disjointed in places, but the acting was great and . . . that's about it. XD Certainly not a waste of 90 minutes, but not as well-done as it could've been. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Monsters, Inc - too cute!
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm

I watched Back to the future for the first time in years. I love those movies so much haha

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Roberts » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:31 am

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Well... this one had old school gamer nostalgia flying all over the freakin' place. In a good way. My inner child geeked out from beginning to end, even though I know intellectually that this movie is about the cinematic equivalent of an ADHD child set loose in their own imagination.

Even so, would watch again!
Roberts

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 am

I'm watching through the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice now <3
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Happyfeet » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Im watching 'Batman & Robin' on some Korean site, its dvd quality, but downloads slow. This is hilariously cheesy.
Happyfeet

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Happyfeet (post: 1455195) wrote:Im watching 'Batman & Robin' on some Korean site, its dvd quality, but downloads slow. This is hilariously cheesy.

If you get a virus, you deserve it for watching such a bad movie.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Clue- a cheezy, cheezy movie. And I love it!
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Just saw 127 Hours. Oh my gosh everybody go see this movie right now. XD Powerful message and story, great acting, and if it doesn't win the Academy Award for cinematography I will be shocked. XD Seriously though, there aren't a lot of movies that get me choked up at the end, but this is one of them.

So yeah. Go see it.

Oh also it's kind of gory. I did have to look away at one point. XD But one scene of gore is worth it, 100%. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Batman Returns... watched this I think for the first time since Begins and Dark Knight has been released. While I already knew I enjoyed Returns better than Begins, I wasn't sure if I liked it more than Dark Knight or if it was just cause it was old and I was a fan of that one so I always said I still liked Returns better. Now I can safely say, yes it is definitely my favorite Batman movie :D And it still holds up quite well today IMO. The whole style and atmosphere is absolutely perfect for Batman. Batman's costume in this is still my favorite so far. It's very sleek and stylized. Love the villains in this one too. The Penguin is so creepy and just plain evil and grotesque and Catwoman is so sleek, sexy, and psychologically messed up... excellent anti-hero. Still don't think Anne Hathaway can do it any better. I never realized how dark this movie is compared to the rest either including Dark Knight. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it but the whole tone, atmosphere etc just seems so much darker, gloomier, and sinister in comparison. Terrible movie for children so I can understand the parent campaign against the marketing when it was released. I remember when I was little all the Christian radio personalities were on the anti-Batman bandwagon, my parents jumped on too. I had to sneak out to finally see this... and then I really heard it from my parents when they found out. And then a couple years later I bought it and showed it to my mom and she actually thought it was the best one :P
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Weird. I hated Batman Returns. I won't say it's the worst Batman movie, because hey, Batman and Robin, but you'd probably have to strap me to a chair to get me to watch it again.

I realize your tastes differ but to me it's inexcusable to take a proper gentlemanly villain like the Penguin and turn him into...whatever the crap that thing was in that movie. I mean you might as well make Batman a hobo who lives with his mother/lover in a cardboard box because IT'S SO DARK AND EDGY OMG HOW DEEP.

Plus I hated, absolutely LOATHED Michelle Pfeiffer's hypersexualized, mentally unbalanced Catwoman. She is without a doubt the worst Catwoman ever. Yes, even worse than Halle Berry.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Fanboys........an epic comedy

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 am

The social network Pretty good. Great acting it just wasn't that interesting

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 pm

Nate (post: 1455511) wrote:Weird. I hated Batman Returns. I won't say it's the worst Batman movie, because hey, Batman and Robin, but you'd probably have to strap me to a chair to get me to watch it again.

I realize your tastes differ but to me it's inexcusable to take a proper gentlemanly villain like the Penguin and turn him into...whatever the crap that thing was in that movie. I mean you might as well make Batman a hobo who lives with his mother/lover in a cardboard box because IT'S SO DARK AND EDGY OMG HOW DEEP.

Plus I hated, absolutely LOATHED Michelle Pfeiffer's hypersexualized, mentally unbalanced Catwoman. She is without a doubt the worst Catwoman ever. Yes, even worse than Halle Berry.

I can see peoples hate on the penguin in that movie... I never read the comics so I always thought that was the Penguin. But yes I would be ticked if they took a character from a story I really liked and made him totally different.

Catwoman was the whole reason I wanted to see the film when I was little. She didn't disappoint. Plus I really could kind of relate to her in a weird way when I was young... Michelle Pfeiffer is still one of my favorite actresses and this is still my favorite roll of hers :D But to each his own.

Anyway, watched Batman today. Again, haven't seen it in ages. Atmospherically I like it better than Dark Knight and Begins and it seemed to have a noir edge that is kind of missing from the new films. So I liked that. And the music... Batman needs a theme and they don't really give him one like in these old movies... the opening credit sequence is still one of my favorite opening credit scenes ever. It's simple but effective and sets the mood well. But Dark Knight is slightly better IMO though as a movie. Like Jokers look better in Batman but Ledger was more interesting to watch although I thought this Joker better captured what I think of when I think the Joker (gag guns, trick flowers, and all his other deadly jokes - which were missing in Dark Knight) An excellent movie though and certainly better than Begins. And again holds up pretty well today aside from a few shots.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 pm

I watched The best worst movie. Its a Documentary on Troll 2's cult status. Easily the most enjoyable documentary i have ever seen for the most enjoyable movie i have ever seen

GrubbTheFragger

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Alien Trespass is the coolest movie I've seen in a long time.
MightiMidget

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:54 am

Watched Exit Through the Gift Shop last night! It was pretty fantastic, and I would recommend it to anybody that's interested in art. XD It's especially interesting in that you really can't tell how much of it is documentary and how much of it is staged; I have a feeling that the last third or so was more trying to make a point about the definition of art, not to mention the validity of some of it. Which really just makes it all the more interesting, to me. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Now playing on Mystery Locker Room Theater 3000: The A-Team
Not bad. But the thing about Liam Neeson playing Hannibal Smith is that whenever he speaks I keep thinking of Aslan doing his lines. I can't help imagining Aslan with a cigar in his mouth, saying, "I love it when a plan comes together, son of Adam."
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Mad Men Seasons 1 and 2.

Sweet, fancy Moses. This show is fantastic. Sometimes I forget how good American television shows can be.

Mad Men is a wonderful, complex, thoughtful character study of 1960s ad men (and women) and the people in their lives. It did not take me long to become heavily invested emotionally in the lives of these characters. It's the kind of show that I sometimes have to tell myself, "Hey, don't get so upset. These are not real people." In a sense, they are though. They are our parents and grandparents.

The show is absolutely meticulous about recreating the 1960s onscreen. You can just feel it in the decor. The show uses actual TV show?news footage of what would have been on TV at the time (JFK, Cuban Missile crisis, etc.). Pregnant ladies are smoking and drinking. Kids romp around the inside of cars without seat belts. The racial and gender landscape is quite a bit different. The actresses cannot work out (typical body shape was different back then) and they have to wear era-specific (read: more conservative) undergarments any time they are on set, regardless if they are going to be "showcasing" said undergarments. Basically, the creators are friggan dedicated to the realism of this thing.

I cannot say enough about how amazing this show is. Deserving of all its Emmys. Totally worth seeing.
TheSubtleDoctor

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment