I think that Ah! My Goddess just became my favorite anime.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

I think that Ah! My Goddess just became my favorite anime.

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Until now, I've loved Outlaw Star. I still do. But I just finished Ah! My Goddess, and I can't stop watching it. It saddens me that the third season is only two episodes! They never brought the serires to a proper close!
It was such an enteratining series, and very, very sweet. I can relate quite well to Keiichi, and I think a girl like Belldandy is the dream of most guys. The show is very funny, too. I watched it with my roommate, and spent most of those nights laughing ourselves senseless.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 pm

I prefer Skuld to Belldandy but hey you know me. <.<

Yeah it's a good series. I watched the OAVs way back when I was younger...man, the days of 30 dollar VHS tapes with one episode each. I do not miss those days at all. I read a lot of the manga too, which is quite good, and you should do the same if you like the series. :p

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 pm

I enjoyed the OAVs myself. Mini-Goddess is fun also, if you can find it at a decent price.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:27 am

I'm also a Skuld fan over Belldandy- but I'm not a guy :)

It would be hard to bring the series to a proper close because
A) It's over 40 volumes long, and
b) It's still in publication over in Japan.

But I own the entire series and love it. It's great.
Atria35

Postby Hiryu » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:05 am

I liked the OAVs, my brother has bought the DVDs of the series, but I haven't watched it.
Hiryu

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Ah, I didn't even think of the manga! That's a great idea. For whatever reason, I was thinking the anime was all there was...doh!
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby TWWK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:40 pm

I remember having a conversation about animated girls back in college with church friends, and one guy said Belldandy was his perfect woman. :P

I'm no real fan of the show, though. It's a bit too saccharine sweet for my taste. :)
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:20 am

Well, it is very sweet, but it's also very cheerful and upbeat. It's hard to feel depressed watching it, which is why I've been watching it a great deal lately.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:14 pm

I always cringe a bit when I hear someone say Belldandy is their ideal woman, because she toes the line of doormat. And I'm never sure how I feel about that, since I like her and yet....
Atria35

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 pm

That's true; what I think it is, is this: Belldandy has all the traits most guys look for in an ideal woman. But she is almost TOO perfect; without any flaws, life would be boring, right?
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:22 pm

I never saw Belldandy as a doormat...well I guess that she is but...I just saw her as the sweet and gentle type. I like that more than women that are incredibly strong spirited, though I like strong women....

...I'm afraid I'm not making very much sense... ^^:
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:41 pm

True, but remember the episode where they were challenged to a race by the Four Wheels Club? She wasn't submissive and doormat-ish then. She was extremely determined. Belldandy does have both sides, now that I think about it.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 pm

The thing is, she's fairly Mary-Sue-ish. She may be determined, and she's also very gentle and sweet... she doesn't really have any flaws. And I think that's what throws me off just a bit.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 pm

That's kind of the whole point, Atria. She's a goddess. Goddesses aren't supposed to have flaws.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:57 pm

rocklobster (post: 1449847) wrote:That's kind of the whole point, Atria. She's a goddess. Goddesses aren't supposed to have flaws.

Hence the cringing when hearing guys refer to her as their "ideal woman." XD No human is going to match up to that kind of standard. XD

Though really, I'd hope whatever guy said that wasn't being serious. XD The last thing any girl wants to hear is "you're a nice girl, but man, you're no Belldandy!" XD Of course, I'm speaking on this without actually having seen the show in question, so I have no comment on what her character is actually like. XD I can only comment on the general idea behind guys fawning over "perfect" anime girls. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Besides everyone knows the perfect woman is Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi. Did Belldandy ever get in the tub with Keiichi and scrub his back? That's why Aoi is better.

Nate

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Oh yea!!!! Aoi!!! LOL Props to Nate!!!
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:37 pm

rocklobster (post: 1449847) wrote:That's kind of the whole point, Atria. She's a goddess. Goddesses aren't supposed to have flaws.

A) What RadDreamer said, and

B) that falls apart when you realize that the other godesses DO have flaws- like Skuld and her impatience and her other coworker that came by in the second season.
Atria35

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:24 am

Well, I think Belldandy may be to guys what let's say...Yuki Sohma is to girls. The embodiment of perfection, so to speak. Intellectually, you know there is no one that perfect, but you can't help but wish at times.
Also, maybe Skuld and the others are meant to be a counterpart to Belldandy? To emphasize how perfect she is. Besides, the entire show is based around the unluckiest guy on the planet becoming the luckiest guy.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 pm

But Yuki isn't perfect, and that's shown in the anime and the manga.

Belldandy isn't shown to have any flaws.

Skuld and the others being there to emphasize how perfect she is, is really a bad argument. That makes her Mary-Sue-ism worse.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Actually I think the original five episode OAVs that were produced showed Belldandy did have a flaw. Namely, she was a bit selfish about wanting to stay with Keiichi. Also, she's pretty airheaded and ditzy, though I suppose you could pass that off as "endearing" and not an actual flaw.

Also Belldandy has other flaws depending on your taste in women. :p

Nate

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Nate (post: 1450068) wrote:Also Belldandy has other flaws depending on your taste in women. :p

Lolz, true! But now I should see those OVAs to see this selfish side of Belldandy.
Atria35

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:05 pm

It's not just in the OVA's - it's shown in other parts of the series, as well as in the movie, I believe. Although, her being selfish and wanting to stay with Keiichi might not be considered a flaw. As for Yuki not being perfect - well, I can't think of any other popular anime males. It's not exactly what I pay close attention to, haha.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm

I honestly didn't pick that up in the series at all. So I guess it's rather up for interpretation, since even that flaw might not be a flaw.
Atria35

Postby seaghyn16 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Just for an interesting update...there's going to be another few episodes coming out for Ah! My Goddess! on February 23, about exactly one month from today. It's a DVD attached to the 42nd volume of the series that will be released then. Looks like it will cost around 4,000 yen. The story is something like:

Keiichi invites Belldandy to an amusement park, when they get locked in. It's been a long time since the two had spent time alone. Of course Belldandy is overflowing with happiness. But, apparently this joy is too much for the System to handle....

something like that. seems pretty interesting, and I'm looking forward to it. ^_^

Source: http://kc.kodansha.co.jp/megamisama/
seaghyn16

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 am

Isn't Belldandy a jealous girl which would make her have a flaw?
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 am

KeybladeWarrior (post: 1454348) wrote:Isn't Belldandy a jealous girl which would make her have a flaw?

Depends. That isn't really shown in the anime. And unless it's really a flaw- like him getting near other girls, or even guys, starts getting her visibly worked up, then it's just a trait to endear her to viewers.
Atria35

Postby Nozomi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

@OP/Original thread topic: You too?! I only JUST started watching it today, and at 2 episodes in, I've already fallen for it. It will probably make my faves list when I'm done, and its definitely love-at-first-sight series for me. Which is odd, considering the 2-3 eps rule of getting adjusted to a new series that normally comes out in anime viewing...
There is always hope in the Lord for those who seek it.
Live each day as if it were your first, not your last.
Nozomi

Postby Mic Mic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 am

I enjoyed Ah! My Goddess but I wanted them to quit fooling around just get together already and say they are more than friends. I watched all the Ah! My Goddess OVAs first and then found out about the Anime. I was like in awe! I enjoyed the anime very much and I think it's one I would rewatch if only to see the beauty of the animation once again.
Inu-chan we love your kawaii earsImage Image I love Piyoko-sama pyo! The Black Gema Gema gang rocks!

See Ya!

^_~

Mic Mic
Mic Mic

Postby Nozomi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Well into the 2nd season now.

The opening theme for it has ACTUALLY made me really interested in bagpipe music... I haven't explored said interest yet, but the use of it in that song is so... so uplifting its AWESOME. Both in "Yeah this is awesome! Woo-hoo!" and "Awww(pretty, cute)-some..."
There is always hope in the Lord for those who seek it.
Live each day as if it were your first, not your last.
Nozomi

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews