Raptor Jesus?

Talk about anything in here.

Raptor Jesus?

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Ok...WHAT THE HECK!? I was on DA today and decided to take a look and see if there was any nice bible/Jesus fan-art on there. Something I kept coming across was Jesus...as a raptor. Does anyone no where this came from and what the heck it's supposed to mean because I really don't get it. Its meant to be insulting I assume?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 pm

As far as I know, it was a meme that started on a particular website as a joke. I personally don't find it offensive, as.... I don't really know what there is to be offended about.

I did some quick research, and no one seems to know the origin other than that it came from a certain very large and infamous message board. It seems that most people think that someone just got bored, and as a result they poorly photoshopped a raptor head onto one of the many depictions of Jesus. Internet history took it from there.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Raptor Jesus... -__-;

It's an internet meme. It is meant to be insulting, as they're making fun of Jesus and the rapture ("raptor.")

If you're looking for nice Bible/Jesus art on DA, I favorited this one some time ago after I happened to catch it on the front page. :3
Personally, I don't often search for Christian art on DA, because much of what comes up are things insulting God and the Bible, so I warn you (as you've already seemed to have seen some.)

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

*Rolls eyes*. I'll admit I often find silly Internet memes amusing, but this one is just plain idiotic! That's a very nice drawing by the way Beau, thanks for showing me! Meanwhile, I actually did find a lot of great stuff on there. There was insulting stuff, but I found more awesome stuff so I just ignored all the icky.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby USSRGirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm

I've seen it on DA too and the raptor/rapture thing/humor/whatever doesn't really bother me. The picture itself kinda made me laugh. :p However, I did stumble on some "raptor jesus" stuff that was pretty offensive and lewd, so yeah, I'd say it's pretty insulting and immature, at least from what I've read of their mock Bible parody. That I think I'd agree crossed the line into being pretty stupid and juvenile.
USSRGirl

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Beau Soir wrote:It is meant to be insulting, as they're making fun of Jesus and the rapture ("raptor.")

Uh...no, that's not true. XD "Raptor" is short for "velociraptor." You need to watch more Jurassic Park. :p Someone photoshopped a raptor's head onto a picture of Jesus, that's all. But yes, it is meant to be making fun of Christianity, that part is correct.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Yeah ive seen that pic before... I dont like it. >_>;
Ella Edric

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Philosoraptor > Raptor Jesus.

That is all.

Nate

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Nate (post: 1453746) wrote:Uh...no, that's not true. XD "Raptor" is short for "velociraptor." You need to watch more Jurassic Park. :p Someone photoshopped a raptor's head onto a picture of Jesus, that's all. But yes, it is meant to be making fun of Christianity, that part is correct.
I did a Google search, and that's what came up. I don't want to link because the site it was on is, by the words of Topaz, "icky."

I know what a velociraptor is... o__o [SIZE="1"]I was quite aware of that...[/SIZE]

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Beau Soir

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Beau Soir wrote:I did a Google search, and that's what came up. I don't want to link because the site it was on is, by the words of Topaz, "icky."

Fair enough, but it was never meant to be making fun of the rapture.

Besides is...is making fun of the rapture bad now? 'Cuz I do that all the time. But this thread is hardly the place for that discussion. XD

Nate

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Nate (post: 1453754) wrote:Fair enough, but it was never meant to be making fun of the rapture.

Besides is...is making fun of the rapture bad now? 'Cuz I do that all the time. But this thread is hardly the place for that discussion. XD
Ah, well, true...
TopazRaven (post: 1453742) wrote:*Rolls eyes*. I'll admit I often find silly Internet memes amusing, but this one is just plain idiotic! That's a very nice drawing by the way Beau, thanks for showing me! Meanwhile, I actually did find a lot of great stuff on there. There was insulting stuff, but I found more awesome stuff so I just ignored all the icky.
Yeah, sometimes they can be really funny! I don't like this one so much though either.

You're welcome! :)

--James Arthur Baldwin

Beau Soir

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Ahaha, you guys are awesome. Thanks for answering me everyone! Raptors and Jesus are both awesome, with Jesus being the most awesomest. They should not be made fun of! Rawr! :lol:

TopazRaven

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I think Christianity has a plus of being able to laugh about goofy depictions. Now of course some people freak, but a lot would be fine with stuff like our statue thread thingy we did.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, some of the jokes are funny. I gotta admit. There was a parody about the destruction of Sodom and Gomarrah I saw on YouTube before that really made me laugh. Then one on Adam and Eve. xD

TopazRaven

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1453767) wrote:statue thread thingy

The touchdown Jesus statue? I haven't made anything with that for a long time. :<
Ante Bellum

Postby Dante » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:22 pm

http://tazi-san.deviantart.com/

^Tazi-san is pretty cool for Bible art (and for excellent anthro art as well),

As to Raptor Jesus? I think that is an exercise in complete randomness. The less you put into it, the more you'll understand that it's just a viral idea.
Dante

Postby Okami » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:27 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1453773) wrote:Yeah, some of the jokes are funny. I gotta admit. There was a parody about the destruction of Sodom and Gomarrah I saw on YouTube before that really made me laugh. Then one on Adam and Eve. xD

Bible in a Minute is one of my favorites....

On topic, I love Raptor Jesus...it makes me laugh. At any rate, if you want good Christian art on dA, http://christians.deviantart.com/ That's the best I've found so far. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:32 pm

I guess I must not have run into some of the images that you guys are talking about here. The only raptor Jesus images I am familiar with are just poor photoshops of classic depictions of Christ with a raptor head.

That hardly seems offensive to me. I suppose I should count myself fortunate to not have seen the offensive side of it. The absurdity of the ones I have seen have gotten a chuckle out of me, since the classic depictions of Jesus tend to be hardly any more accurate than Him with a raptor head. :lol:
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the links guys! Saw some more wonderful art through them. :D

TopazRaven

Postby USSRGirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1453764) wrote:Ahaha, you guys are awesome. Thanks for answering me everyone! Raptors and Jesus are both awesome, with Jesus being the most awesomest. They should not be made fun of! Rawr! :lol:

Word.
USSRGirl

Postby KougaHane » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Nate (post: 1453752) wrote:Philosoraptor > Raptor Jesus.

That is all.

Agreed
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:40 am

@ Ante: Cause your sig, whenever I see those guys I always think, "Hey, one guy's missing!" XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:47 am

Nate (post: 1453752) wrote:Philosoraptor > Raptor Jesus.

That is all.

Also, the aforementioned infamous website has spawned a lot of internet memes. Some of them are funny and some of them are stupid. Just laugh at the funny ones and ignore the stupid ones.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:41 am

I'm not sure if I'm offended by it. Traditional depictions of Jesus are silly to me anyway XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Traditional depictions of Jesus are silly to me anyway XD
Haha, we actually have a banner at my church that has a red-haired, blue eyed Jesus with pale skin and rosy cheeks. It's kinda dark so it's not blaringly obvious, but I still find it funny. The companion poster has the women at the tomb, and one of them is carrying a bowl that looks like she has a huge curved knife at first glance. XD
Rusty Claymore

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Certainly, Raptor Jesus is no more an offensive parody than the six-foot, sparkle-teethed Aryan bishie Jesus you usually see.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Yeah...I've always kind of wondered, why is Jesus white in most of the more popular depictions? He really shouldn't be should he?

TopazRaven

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm

He shouldn't be.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

I didn't think so. Lol. Why do they always make him white then?

TopazRaven

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Short answer. Ethnocentric racism or anti-semitism. Long answer requires an explanation of the history of European and Jewish peoples and art in the middle ages.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Next

Return to General