Whose way is better -- yours or God's?

Talk about anything in here.

Whose way is better -- yours or God's?

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Please discuss. (Civilly, thank you.)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:56 pm

I will admit it- I don't exactly get what you're asking here ^.^"
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:02 pm

This seems like an extremely obvious question, so I can only assume it is a setup for a follow-up post about "You say God's way is better but then why do you do x when that's not God's way?"

Unless I'm wrong, in which case, I don't understand the question.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:16 pm

This is a bit tricky, but... Eh, I dunno how to put it in words T_T;;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm confused by the question to. Then again...it's me we're talking about here so this isn't really any surprise.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Not positive how this can be discussed, but I'm sure someone will find a way.

My own view is that God's way is always the best (being called only "better" in comparison to my own way is downgrading Him, I think). Though, because we aren't perfect, we are not capable of always following God's way all the time. Does this mean we shouldn't try? Not at all. But we shouldn't try to live by coming up with our own interpretation of what God's way is or "What would Jesus do?" but rather seeking, trusting in and loving God/Jesus, then asking Him to show us what his way for us is.

Just my two cents though. >_>
goldenspines

Postby Peanut » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm

goldenspines (post: 1453702) wrote:Not positive how this can be discussed, but I'm sure someone will find a way.

My own view is that God's way is always the best (being called "better" in comparison to my own way is downgrading Him, I think). Though, because we aren't perfect, we are not capable of always following God's way all the time. Does this mean we shouldn't try? Not at all. But we shouldn't try to live by coming up with our own interpretation of what God's way is or "What would Jesus do?" but rather seeking, trusting in and loving God/Jesus, then asking Him to show us what his way for us is.

Just my two cents though. >_>

This.

And...uh yeah...I'm kind of having a hard time taking this thread seriously because of reasons which have been mentioned over and over in this thread...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:22 pm

People always tell me to do what Jesus did but I took a bottle of water and couldn't turn it into wine no matter how hard I tried so I guess I'm not doing a very good job so far.

Nate

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:48 pm

God's way, obviously.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Midori » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Uh wait is this question even serious? Or is this a...rhetorical poll?
Midori

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Midori (post: 1453771) wrote:Uh wait is this question even serious? Or is this a...rhetorical poll?

I know right? I mean...this is a Christian site after all! :lol:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Am I the only one who will say, "My own way."?
Here's my reasons (and note that I'm almost always wrong): Nobody can actually, you know, follow God's way, because it would be impossible. I don't see any reason to strive for something I can't actually reach. Instead, I would rather model a path after it that is possible to work for, therefore making "my own way." I don't think I'd say that, "Oh yeah I follow God's way all the time" when in reality, I'm not.
Ante Bellum

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm

You're bolder then me Ante. I was kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't really know how to voice said thoughts correctly.

TopazRaven

Postby Nanao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:21 pm

i might be totally off track by asking this and if so, i apologise. but does there really have to be a difference between my way and God's way? if i am a new creature in Christ, wouldn't my way and God's way at least be headed in the same direction? (not a rhetorical question here, i'm really asking)
Nanao

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1453780) wrote:Am I the only one who will say, "My own way."?
Here's my reasons (and note that I'm almost always wrong): Nobody can actually, you know, follow God's way, because it would be impossible. I don't see any reason to strive for something I can't actually reach. Instead, I would rather model a path after it that is possible to work for, therefore making "my own way." I don't think I'd say that, "Oh yeah I follow God's way all the time" when in reality, I'm not.

In modeling your path after God's way, aren't you still, from a different perspective, following God's way? No one who is trying to follow God's way is perfect, nor do they all agree what God's way is. Or maybe I am not understanding what you mean.

For example: there are Christians who don't believe that God has a specific life path carved out for you, but rather that "God's plan" is found in Christ's teachings on how to live. These Christians would say that God's way is best, because, despite carving out their own life path, they are carving it out according to Christ's teachings.

Do you understand what I am saying? Did I understand what you are saying? Anyways, it's all well and good if you don't agree with me about that. I just want to understand where you are coming from.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1453780) wrote:Am I the only one who will say, "My own way."?

I'd like this response, if it was not for the fact that the question is rather simple and only centers around the theory on which is better, not what one has potential to achieve.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 pm

No, I don't believe I am. Isn't God's way perfect? It is. So my way, which allows for mistakes, is not. The two are so different that they cannot be considered the same thing, even if one is based on the other. That's what I meant.

Also, I did mention that I'm almost always wrong, so that could be the case.

EDIT: Just saw Jaden's post.
Can't it be interpreted either way? It seemed like a very open question to me.
Of course, if it means the other, would I still answer the same thing? Possibly. Whatever God's way is, it's too much for a human to imagine, and because so many people have different ideas, I'm not sure which one is correct. What if God is one that really did command the slaughter of people based on race, orientation, or having a different faith (Correct me if I'm wrong, my Bible knowledge is definitely lacking.)? I would not, then, agree with that way. On the other side, if God truly loves everyone, never gave those commands against any human and gives judgement based on a person's entire being instead of just faith or other things that the person could not help, then I would agree that yes, that way is better than a limited human way. My God stands with this path, one that is just and loving.
But as I said, I'm not absolutely sure which side God is on. I only know which side I am on.
Ante Bellum

Postby Dante » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Ah, well. May as well add some bizarre stuff here. I mean, the question is obvious, it's not like any of us would go off saying "Heck with the Lords way, I want it my way!", but as I thought about it, particularly looking at Ante's post, I had to kind of wonder.

God made me have free will, to choose my own way. If my having the ability to act according to my own will and feelings was his will (as he created me to be that way), and not to be told on everything he wanted me to do like some kind of script in a play... then isn't my free will also his will? You might say that my sins and errors aren't his will, but in a way, they are, because he created me, even the parts of me that aren't perfect. And I kinda like the whole picture of me he created, flaws and everything, otherwise I wouldn't need a God, I could just look in the mirror if you know what I mean. And I enjoy that too, you know, having a God I can always look up to.

So given that God created me, even as I would eventually turn out, then both of those have to ultimately be true. My way and Gods way, if I'm being true to the person he made me as, then I'm being true to God. It's when I turn away from that creation and try to be someone else, that's when I get into real trouble. But alas, it's not a check box question, it's a poll, so I shall leave it unanswered.

so there, that's my interesting epiphany from considering all of this,
Pascal
Dante

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 pm

I see your point. But I think it sorta depends on how you view the question also. I answered "God's way" because I viewed the question as what is right? now whether I viewed the question correctly or not is debatable. lol. BUT ANYWAY I also answered the way I did because I feel thats what you should try to live up to. :) Not that we will do perfectly, but thats what we should try your best to do. Y'know? So thats why I answered the way I did. not because I feel very high and mighty, but because thats what we shoudl strive for. :) To try and do God's will.

Anyway, Im sure Im stating the obvious. Haha and Ive made my point clear enough.
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm

I voted the second option because it says "My own may" so I took that to mean May from Pokemon and I want one of those.

Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:20 pm

I've got to be honest- This question is very open to interpretation. Are we talking about a long term life path, or about individual decisions, or what?

Generally I think that my answers to all subjective variants of the question are possibly the same: God's way is best, but not always what we are capable of attaining. However, God's plan also includes grace, forgiveness, and help where we do fall short.

To be honest, I don't know how free will fits into God's will. Generally I think that there are choices He prefers that we make, but grants us the free will to choose in order to give those choices and events meaning. I don't know if this means that He wants us to surrender our free will entirely, but I think that the mysteries are part of what makes life interesting.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:14 am

Wouldn't that mean that no one can choose the "God's way" option, since it's unattainable?
The question is "which is better", and I obviously see that as God's way being the best. It's just that our execution of it is imperfect.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:42 am

But God does allow for mistakes, Ante. That's why he sent Jesus.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 am

Nate (post: 1453820) wrote:I voted the second option because it says "My own may" so I took that to mean May from Pokemon and I want one of those.

You don't even know how much that made me laugh. :lol:

TopazRaven

Postby Peanut » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:48 am

Nate (post: 1453820) wrote:I voted the second option because it says "My own may" so I took that to mean May from Pokemon and I want one of those.

Maybe he meant it was the month of May? In which case I would still want one of those since having my own month would be pretty awesome.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:04 am

I demand a third option.

That or replace the second option with, "have it your way."
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:37 am

"Better" by whose definition?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1453884) wrote:That or replace the second option with, "have it your way."

Mmm, Burger King.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 pm

In all seriousness, I'll answer the question with my own opinion.

I don't believe either answer is right. People have a mentality that "If I follow God's plan I will be happy!" I don't believe this is right at all. God may lead us to happiness, but he also may lead us to despair. Reasons for which nobody may know.

I'm sure there are plenty of times where I could follow my way instead of God's way and see it as better. But the thing is that it's never about what is "better", but which is simply what God wants us to do. To love is to suffer and as terrible and wrong it may feel, it's what God would want us to do.

I'm not sure what's better or not, but I can say which I believe is more righteous. And doing what is righteous may very well likely have no payoff. But if we care/hope/expect about some sort of payoff or blessing than we've lost all semblance of righteousness because we've become selfish.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm going to risk making a big violent splash here and say how I honestly cannot see how any Christian can think their own way is better in any sense than God's way. Since being a Christian means you are following Christ, then why would you follow Christ if you didn't think his way was better?

You know, Christianity in the early days used to be called "The Way" before it acquired its current name.

I suppose again it can depend on what you think 'better' means. As Mr. SmartyPants says, following God doesn't necessarily mean you'll be happier (though it often does), but it does mean it is more "righteous".

Although, as Paul says, I myself am a Pharisee--that is, I believe in the resurrection of the dead. I believe that if I do trust God and do his will then I will have eternal life and eternal happiness. Because of this, I honestly cannot find any definition of the word 'better' such that God's way is not better than any other way.

Actually wait...I might be able to argue the other side, based on free will. If you have free will, then God gives you the choice of how to live your life, right? You can choose whether to follow God or not. Because of that, I can maybe deduce that you having your way is better than you not having your way, or God wouldn't give you free will...

Well, it is still best for you if your way is equal to God's way. Just because the choice between good and evil is good, doesn't mean evil isn't evil.

Heh, so maybe your way is better for God, but God's way is better for you.
Midori

Next

Return to General