Are electronics male or female or...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Dante » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 am

I use the computer, and that's it. It's just there for the gathering of information. Infact I wouldn't even care if it just quit tomorrow. Just throw it out and get another one. [/heartless]

When the singularity arrives, you shall be the FIRST to be charged with cyborg-slaughter!
Dante

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:19 am

TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Pascal wrote:you don't plug the computer into anything

Does your computer run on a nuclear cell or something? Every computer I've seen you plug into something. Even laptops with batteries have to be plugged into outlets to charge the battery.
I've been trained by science fiction authors

But most science fiction portrays computers as male. HAL from 2001? Male. Computer from War Games? Well it was named Joshua, so male. Master Control Program, as well as Tron himself from Tron? Male. The only "female" computer that immediately comes to mind is the ships' computers from Star Trek, that's it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Dante » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Nate wrote:Does your computer run on a nuclear cell or something? Every computer I've seen you plug into something. Even laptops with batteries have to be plugged into outlets to charge the battery.

Yeah, actually that's true, I was thinking of a power plug as plugging into the computer and then plugging that power cord into the wall. Although the male connector is inside of a hole, it actually is a male connector and not a female one.

" wrote:But most science fiction portrays computers as male. HAL from 2001? Male. Computer from War Games? Well it was named Joshua, so male. Master Control Program, as well as Tron himself from Tron? Male. The only "female" computer that immediately comes to mind is the ships' computers from Star Trek, that's it.

War Games was Whopper wasn't it? But also true, thank you Nate for reminding about how little knowledge I truly know. I must get my bias towards thinking of them as female from someplace else? Maybe it's psychological because my brain thinks that I should only spend this much time with a girl XD.
Dante

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 pm

I think of computers as females because it's the only way I'll ever turn a girl on. :(

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Nate (post: 1453120) wrote:I think of computers as females because it's the only way I'll ever turn a girl on. :(

Sorry but that made me ROFL.

I don't call a computer female or male. It's a computer. Now if it was a Chobit, it would be female.
Yamamaya

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Nate (post: 1453114) wrote:
But most science fiction portrays computers as male. HAL from 2001? Male. Computer from War Games? Well it was named Joshua, so male. Master Control Program, as well as Tron himself from Tron? Male. The only "female" computer that immediately comes to mind is the ships' computers from Star Trek, that's it.

MCP and TRON aren't computers, just programs on a mainframe, but I see where you're going with this. Most computer voices are portrayed as male. The ships computer in Futurama was female, but that's because it's a parody of the Star trek computer...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm

This...is a bizzare question! O.O But alot of times when I look at wires and stuff on Amazon.com, it'll sometimes say "male" or "female". I'm not sure if a computer has a gender....this thread could turn out really nasty >.>
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 pm

In Alien, the voice of the ship's computer was female.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Hiryu (post: 1453081) wrote:No, who does that? People who do that are total weirdos who moderate forums.

[SIZE="7"]8([/SIZE]

My Macbook's name is Lua, my Mac Mini's name is Trina, my old G3 Mac was named Hugely Blue, and my car's name is Gandalf the White. XDD

Also, no, I don't really give a lot of thought to whether my devices are male or female; I just name them as they come along. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 pm

AnimeGirl wrote:But alot of times when I look at wires and stuff on Amazon.com, it'll sometimes say "male" or "female".

This is to differentiate between whether the wire plugs into something, or something is plugged into it. If a wire is meant to be plugged into something, it's male. If it's meant to have something plugged into it, it's female. Some wires have only one or the other type, most have both types. For example, extension cords have one male and one female end. Most USB device wires have two male ends because you plug one end into your computer and the other into the device. Most wires with two female ends are for sound equipment I think.

Nate

Postby Furen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Some one at school decided to add the way it functions as a computer itself, like if the computer's moody or not responsive.

and Pascal thanks for that link, I didn't think of linking anything

in all seriousness, I don't bother with thinking the gender because I just don't, though when I think of it, I can hardly see my computer as male at all for the most part, sometimes it's really lazy and I'll joke about "Her" being the lazy one for once.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Furen wrote:Some one at school decided to add the way it functions as a computer itself, like if the computer's moody or not responsive.

So let me guess...the "moody" computers are female, right?

Sigh. So close to gender equality yet so far.

Nate

Postby Furen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Nate (post: 1453144) wrote:So let me guess...the "moody" computers are female, right?

Sigh. So close to gender equality yet so far.

I never SAID that >.>;;
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Furen (post: 1453143) wrote:Some one at school decided to add the way it functions as a computer itself, like if the computer's moody or not responsive.

in all seriousness, I don't bother with thinking the gender because I just don't, though when I think of it, I can hardly see my computer as male at all for the most part, sometimes it's really lazy and I'll joke about "Her" being the lazy one for once.

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ally-Ann » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I guess it depends on the name I'm thinking of. Sometimes a computer looks like a Bob or Steve to me, other times it'll look a like a Betty, or Barbara...... or Karen!
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Lynna » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Truly...It kind of creepy when people call USB ports "Male" or "female". I mean...I get the point, but are they trying to make you think weird things?

Anyways, as to whoever talked about in spanish computers can be both, I don't know much at all about spanish, but They're obviously not as serious as the French, who love to torture us French Students XD
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:58 pm

As far as female computers go, there's also EDI from Mass Effect 2, as well as most VIs.

Though I haven't had it occur to me before to name computers.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Lynna wrote:I mean...I get the point, but are they trying to make you think weird things?

Well, can you think of words that would describe the nature of the ports that's as short as "male" and "female?"

Nate

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1453001) wrote:You do that too! ^_^ So what genders? When I see 'em 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are masculine. And 2, 4, and 7 are female. And 4 and 5 are married and 1, 2, and 3 are their children. 6 and 7, if not married, are engaged but they don't get along very well. 9 is kinda arrogant while 10 is very wise but speaks very little. ^_^

SDG

XD That's like, the backwards of what I think! I think 1, 3, 6, and 9 are feminine, and 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10 are masculine. Weird! XD
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Nate (post: 1453250) wrote:Well, can you think of words that would describe the nature of the ports that's as short as "male" and "female?"

"In" and "out"?

:lol:
Atria35

Postby Furen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Lynna (post: 1453248) wrote:Truly...It kind of creepy when people call USB ports "Male" or "female". I mean...I get the point, but are they trying to make you think weird things?

Well I understand female ports because when people look for ports, they usually are looking for the male ones, so they don't say it, but if they need a female one, it's really important to say so.
Furen

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I think I may have influenced the creation of this thread because of my own thread.

That makes me a bit depressed. :<
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Nate (post: 1453114) wrote:But most science fiction portrays computers as male. HAL from 2001? Male. Computer from War Games? Well it was named Joshua, so male. Master Control Program, as well as Tron himself from Tron? Male. The only "female" computer that immediately comes to mind is the ships' computers from Star Trek, that's it.
There's always SHODAN.
Fish and Chips

Postby Peanut » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1453262) wrote:There's always SHODAN.

Or her humorous sister GLaDOS...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:27 pm

System.out.print( "post #56 in this forum says that computers and electronics are genderless with respect to the traditional definitions of such words but that a person is welcome to add to their personal definitions of \"gender\" to accommodate their peculiar treatment of such objects" );
ABlipinTime

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 pm

I wasn't aware that calling cords "male" and "female" was a weird thing. I mean it only makes sense.

By that logic, is a male-male cord a "gay" cord and a female-female cord a "lesbian" cord?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 pm

By that logic, is a male-male cord a "gay" cord and a female-female cord a "lesbian" cord?
No.
Any further explanation would just be gross.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1453301) wrote:By that logic, is a male-male cord a "gay" cord and a female-female cord a "lesbian" cord?

I've actually heard someone use that terminology when I was in the dorms.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 am

This topic reminds of those who give names to their cars -_- lol I think technically speaking it has both "female" and "male" parts..like USB ports and stuff like that. So maybe its both? 0_o
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Previous Next

Return to General