Are electronics male or female or...

Talk about anything in here.

Are electronics male or female or...

Postby Furen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Do you find Computers to be a specific gender, or other electronics like keyboards.

I'm posing this question because I want to know what you guys thing, I get all technical because of ports. So for me, I would be saying that my computer is female because my CPU/Tower is all female USB ports, where as my keyboard plugs into my computer through a male prong.

I'm being serious here though, I know it sounds goofy/strange but I want to know, have a reason as to why what is what? (if you even do have one)

EDIT: Darn, I was going to add a poll, but my computer was slow and couldn't manage this time... darn bad connections
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:14 pm

*looks at computer plug*

*notices it has prongs sticking out*

Yep it's a male.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm

No. It has no clear indication of being male or female. It is neither. It's N/A.
Hiryu

Postby Furen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Nate (post: 1452953) wrote:*looks at computer plug*

*notices it has prongs sticking out*

Yep it's a male.

*Sees lots of female USB ports*

No... pretty sure it's female

@Hiryu Why do you say that, you don't give your electronics/cars names? I know it's no specific gender because it's metal, but I just want to know what people think and why they think that
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby armeck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:22 pm

it's bi XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Man, I can see this thread getting weird. >_>;

I only personify my electronics because it helps me take better care of them (it also gives me a name to yell besides "stupid" when said electronic doesn't work). I tend to consider them all male because, um, man, I dunno. They seem more like dudes to me? XD There was one exception though; my iPod, but since I chose the name Philip (only Kamen Rider W fans will get this), I found a way around that. XD
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 pm

armeckthefirst wrote:it's bi XD

Correct term is intersex/hermaphr...

...wow this thread got weird fast.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:24 pm

armeckthefirst (Edited) wrote:it's both XD

Fixed (computers have no orientation, just male/female)
Furen

Postby armeck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 pm

yeah, that's what i meant.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Lynna » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 pm

It's male. In fact, ALL computers are male. Say's who? says the French. Although their word for "Army" is feminine and stuff, which isn't very logical BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER!! If the French say it's masculine, it's masculine! Because their whole language is based on this stuff! They're obviously experts!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Furen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Lynna (post: 1452971) wrote:They're obviously experts!

says who?
Furen

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 pm

I think its just in how the device looks. for instance, my pc looks feminine to me... why? because I said it does. But so does my car or my TV. I just have a tendency to add the feminine article to anything inanimate. I think its because we men are expressing our innate need for a woman in our lives. Kinda like men at sea called their ships by the feminine article. It was because they were expressing there need to be loved by a woman and have her by his side. So they became emotionally attached to some drift wood that kept them afloat... most of the time.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Lynna wrote: If the French say it's masculine, it's masculine! Because their whole language is based on this stuff! They're obviously experts!

They are also obviously experts in flying the white flag as well.

As for computer devices, they are nor male or female, but master and slave.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Furen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1452984) wrote: but master and slave.

So which are we?
Furen

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:40 pm

I.... I don't assign gender to my computer...
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:53 pm

I always assign genders to inanimate objects without even meaning to.

I think of my computer as female, though I don't think computers in general are. But I think of my phone as male...

I also assign genders to numbers, too.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm

What if I considered my laptop like a cute little genderless fuzzy animal?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 pm

PrincessZelda (post: 1452999) wrote:I also assign genders to numbers, too.

You do that too! ^_^ So what genders? When I see 'em 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are masculine. And 2, 4, and 7 are female. And 4 and 5 are married and 1, 2, and 3 are their children. 6 and 7, if not married, are engaged but they don't get along very well. 9 is kinda arrogant while 10 is very wise but speaks very little. ^_^

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:34 pm

I don't assign genders to electronic devices, nor do I name them. I dunno, it just never really occurs to me to give them names.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MxCake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 pm

i called my old zune GlaDos once does that count? >.>
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Sparx00 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 pm

I foresee this thread taking a major dive in the near future. XD
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:47 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1453001) wrote:You do that too! ^_^ So what genders? When I see 'em 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are masculine. And 2, 4, and 7 are female. And 4 and 5 are married and 1, 2, and 3 are their children. 6 and 7, if not married, are engaged but they don't get along very well. 9 is kinda arrogant while 10 is very wise but speaks very little. ^_^

SDG

Wow. You could totally make a manga about these numbers.

I see faces in inanimate objects. When I was a kid, my bedroom door kind of looked like Van Gogh's Scream. I felt really sorry for it.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1453005) wrote:Wow. You could totally make a manga about these numbers.

I see faces in inanimate objects. When I was a kid, my bedroom door kind of looked like Van Gogh's Scream. I felt really sorry for it.

You mean the Scream by Edvard Munch?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:08 am

To combat the French, I'll point out that in Spanish you can use either masculine or feminine for computers. El computador and la computadora are both equally valid.

Also, I can add a poll to this thread if you specify the options.

Furen wrote:Why do you say that, you don't give your electronics/cars names? I know it's no specific gender because it's metal, but I just want to know what people think and why they think that
I'm being serious here

I don't give inanimate objects names and I use neuter pronouns for things like ships or cars. It's hard for me to verbalize my reasons because this seems instinctive to me, like I'm sure the opposite position does for you.

For me it comes down to how I relate to objects. What is the computer I am typing on at the moment? It is a tool. It has no personality and no traits. My job is to fix machines like it, and I know that every "action" they take is because of settings of the computer, obscure though they may be at times. To view it as an entity is to try to force it into a category in which it doesn't belong, to ascribe motives and personality where there are none, and to see the world a little less accurately. How is that for serious?
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:59 am

Posting just to say this thread made me think of a really funny joke I'm not going to post here.

Some of you might already even know what it is.
Fish and Chips

Postby Ally-Ann » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 am

This is a funny thread!:lol:
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 am

I think of them as both- it depends on my mood for the day as to what I'll think of as a boy or girl machine.
Atria35

Postby Dante » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 am

For some reason, I always refer to my computer as a girl. I guess I've been trained by science fiction authors who have most likely noted that they contain no male connections, but only female ones (you always plug things into a computer, you don't plug the computer into anything - and no, that's not meant to be dirty on my part, that's just how they're defined. see this).
Dante

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 am

Lol, this thread is way to amusing. I always think of my computers as boys usually I've noticed. My computer is lovingly named Gary. :)
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Hiryu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 am

Furen (post: 1452956) wrote:@Hiryu Why do you say that, you don't give your electronics/cars names? I know it's no specific gender because it's metal, but I just want to know what people think and why they think that

No, who does that? People who do that are total weirdos who moderate forums.

I use the computer, and that's it. It's just there for the gathering of information. Infact I wouldn't even care if it just quit tomorrow. Just throw it out and get another one. [/heartless]

In all seriousness, I take care of my electronics well or atleast try to.
Hiryu

Next

Return to General