Attention Parents on CAA and Teens

Talk about anything in here.

Attention Parents on CAA and Teens

Postby HitomiYuriko » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 pm

I know that I might be grandstanding as they would say but I have to say this because yesterday my daughters lost a fellow bus mate from "huffing" computer dusting spray.

Parents here is a website on the dangers of inhalants: http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/inhalants.html

To the young teens (12-15) this is a major problem with your age group with your friends (peer pressure, fitting in it, etc.) make sure you always ask for advise from your parents regarding peer pressure from friends and/or other people who want you to be in their group.

With inhalants you can literally die for breathing this stuff, it could happen immediately or over time. Before you do something that can cause immediate death or major injuries to body think about your family most of all.
[SIZE="1"]Believe

What I believe is what I will become. I believe I am special and that there will never be another like me...not ever. I believe I have been blessed with certain talents that will allow me to serve a purpose higher that my own. I believe we are all connected and that despite our differences we are one. I believe in the power or love and its ability to heal all wounds. I believe there are no acts of coincidence only acts of God that work miraculously in my life. I believe that the lessons I learn will be the lessons I teach.

My Family: SP1, Raven, and my other daughter soon to be named in 2 years, PcSavvy (My Sister)
Been Adopted by: Shadowchild,Mega.EXE
My Adoptions: Lunis--who has my unconditional love and support. :angel:
Shadowchild: who can win an argument with anyone (Hehe)
My Boys in Arms (The ones I'll try to keep from wandering the path of goofiness & craziness:dizzy: ): Yahshua(:angel: on his shoulder watching over him), Nate (AKA Kaemmerite), Sigmaknight, Cap'nNick, BigSleepJ,Scribs, YeshuaKnight, Linkquest, Mr. Smarty Pants, Cephas VII, Kkun, and AziertheSwordsman
My Girls in Arms (The ones I'll be looking out for from time to time): Sakura15, CrimsonRyu17, PrincessZelda, Himura Kaoru, Iz&Trigun4life, Lunis, Jesusfreak84,Shadowchild
And some new friends: JadenMetal,Mithrandir, ShatterHeartArk, and few others
FKA Celestra[/SIZE]
HitomiYuriko

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm

My parents told me about huffing and that if you do it, you'll become a vegetable or die. And that's "vegetable" as in just sitting or laying there not even knowing that you exist. To me, it just doesn't make sense why anyone would want to do that, even if they didn't know that it's harmful. Then again, I've been told that I'm level-headed, so maybe that's why.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

My parents approve of the kids I hang out/talk with, and they've never even mentioned huffing, so I'm probably safe. In fact, I hadn't heard of huffing until you mentioned it.

So I'm probably safe. But I'm glad to be aware of this, anyway.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Ally-Ann wrote:To me, it just doesn't make sense why anyone would want to do that, even if they didn't know that it's harmful.

Because it feels good.

They might not know it's dangerous. They might not care. In fact, it being dangerous may want to make them do it more. Sometimes, danger and fear is exciting.

That may sound strange, but horror movies are popular. Roller coasters and bungee jumping are popular. Fear, in small amounts, can be exhilarating. It would add to the high that they get from doing this.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Some might do it because it's harmful, too. I mean, there are lots of kids that cut themselves. :/

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Eh...cutting isn't quite the same as this. The thought processes behind it are different. People who cut (or self-harm) do it as a means of either reducing stress and sadness, or as a method of "This shows I am really alive, this means that I am real."

Huffing is a way of getting high, they don't do it to feel calm or relaxed or functional. They do it because "it feels good" and they want to feel even better. People who cut don't think it feels good, they don't enjoy it, they do it because they feel they have to. So not really the same.

Nate

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh, okay. I didn't now that; my mistake.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Nate (post: 1452661) wrote:Eh...cutting isn't quite the same as this. The thought processes behind it are different. People who cut (or self-harm) do it as a means of either reducing stress and sadness, or as a method of "This shows I am really alive, this means that I am real."

Or it's for attention.
Ante Bellum

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1452665) wrote:Or it's for attention.

Maybe some do it for that reason, but not all.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm

I've never been stupid enough to huff (or cut...), so I'm good.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:42 pm

One of my buddies was a cutter. I don't know all the story but from what he's shared, attention wasn't a reason behind those actions.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Lynna » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1452679) wrote:One of my buddies was a cutter. I don't know all the story but from what he's shared, attention wasn't a reason behind those actions.

Same here. In fact, attention was the last thing my friend wanted, but she told me anyways and I'm grateful for that. Their not trying to get attention, their just hurting inside.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Nate (post: 1452657) wrote:That may sound strange, but horror movies are popular. Roller coasters and bungee jumping are popular. Fear, in small amounts, can be exhilarating. It would add to the high that they get from doing this.

Man, I must have been the exception growing up then. I never liked horror movies and roller coasters (and extreme sports) were rarely very appealing to me.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Ella Edric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1452665) wrote:Or it's for attention.

some people do it because theyre hurting and need an outlet. And others do it because they hate themselves.
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm

But I have heard of people who do it for attention.
I'm not saying everyone does. I'm just saying that it's sometimes as simple as that.
Ante Bellum

Postby Dr.Faust » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 pm

90% of my friends do druges of some form lets just say I don't think they are cool
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

I've never heard of anyone cutting for attention. In fact, most of the cutters I know are ashamed to admit it. They wear long sleeves and hide their cuts as best they can. That wouldn't make sense if it was for attention.

I actually had a friend just now tonight tell me she cuts. She said she was scared to tell anyone, she didn't want anyone to know she did it, but she trusted me.

I can only see cutting being for attention if it's one of those "Look at me I'm so macho and bada** that I cut myself and don't even care." Like putting your cigarette out on your arm or something.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 pm

*shrugs* It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. Maybe it's a cry for help or being tough, or even to conform to a group they hang out with...I've heard people say that they've done it for attention. It's not impossible.
Ante Bellum

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 pm

If so, we're just saying it's not very common.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Right. Not saying it never happens, just that if it does, it's not indicative of cutting as a whole.

It's kind of like, I know there was a guy once who ate an entire train piece by piece for whatever reason, but eating trains is not something that most people do.

Nate

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Let's get back to the original topic, please.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ashfire » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 am

As a Emergency Medical Tech. and firefighter I have dealt with the stupid things that others have done to be HIGH or try to hurt themselves in some way.
Huffing any type of chemical is not good for the body. Chemicals will build up in the body and cause major problems until something shuts down.
I just learn that for years that firefighters have been killing themselves by removing their air mask when a fire is extinguished and doing clean up of a fire scene which allows for carbon monoxide and other burning materials fumes to enter their lungs and spread into their bodies.
The fire service thought that firefighters were not excercising enough to keep their body in shape to stop heart attacks.
Every day there is a firefighter dying while in their sleep, on the fire scene or at home after leaving the fire station.
ashfire

Return to General