Christian Parenting Techniques

Talk about anything in here.

Christian Parenting Techniques

Postby Gala » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm

OK, usually I wouldn't ask something like this on here but every site and book I have come to only really talks about children 5 years and up.

I know my daughter is just testing her limits and learning (she is almost 13 months) but she does know some things that mommy and daddy don't want her doing and she'll smile and continue doing it anyway. Today she ended up hurting two of her fingers (possibly breaking one of them) and then tried to do the same thing again only five minutes later. I want what is best for her and I know we can't just let her run amuck.

Most people I've talked to say discipline later (like 2 or 3) but I know she will have learned that she can get away with things by then. I feel like I should already know the answers but I don't so here goes my question:

How did you get your kids to behave when they were really young?
Always find time in your day to rejoice for something the Lord has done for you... even if it is just the miracle of getting up every morning.
Gala

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm

THe thing is, when they're under 1 1/2 years old, they don't have the mental abilities to really understand punishment.

When I was young, my parents used time-out a lot. The key is being consistant with it. And that should be fine once she reaches about 1 1/2 years old.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 pm

I personally don't remember what my parents did with my siblings and I. I'll have to ask them.

Whatever you do, though, you should make sure your husband and you are in agreement, and when necessary back each other up. I'm pretty sure kids as young as your daughter won't go from one parent to the other, but it's something to be aware of, I guess.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Does anyone that posts regularly here actually have kids?

I would recommend seeking advice from those who have parented young children before. Maybe a Christian parenting website or forum?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1452653) wrote:Does anyone that posts regularly here actually have kids?

No, but I baby-sat a ton when I was in my teens.

And I've taken about 3 child-development courses :shady: So boring, but occasionally come in handy.
Atria35

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I echo the consistency. I don't have any kids, but I'm from a big family and have been around and worked with kids pretty much my whole life. One of the things that helped my parents with us when we were that age was making us face the consequences of our actions, like if we bit somebody when we were one or two, the other person would bite us back just hard enough to let us realize that if we didn't want it to happen to us we shouldn't do it.

I don't know if that will help in your specific situation, but it may be worth praying about and thinking over.

Also, ShiHi said something along these lines, but you should try and find a christian family that has good kids and ask them for some tips, don't be afraid to ask for tips or advice from anybody who's doing something well.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm

When I was young, my parents would spank me or my mom, when things really were bad, would pinch the back of our arms. Let's just say that it only took one of those, ever, to fix things. But it just hurts, it doesn't leave a mark if you do it right. You don't even use your nails.
I guess we haven't had much experience with time outs. I mean, sure, we got grounded when we were younger...
Okay, I know nothing about raising kids.
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Spanking and corporal punishment should be used with careful judgement- I know that I have a temper and if I were punishing by spanking or pinching, I would go overboard and do it too hard/too much. So I stuck to time-out, and it seemed to work well.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 pm

I have a daughter right about your age. I don't think there's an easy answer, unfortunately. The thing is, every child responds differently - sometimes WILDLY differently - our son is almost a complete opposite to our daughter. He didn't respond to any punishment well. I wish we hadn't punished him much when he was around the age your daughter is, and just bit our tongue and let him do as he wished. I don't think the punishments helped.

With our daughter, time outs DO work. She becomes an angel afterward. However, we limit the timeouts -they say one minute per year of life, so it would be literally one minute for your daughter. You could try that. And we do it very seldom - usually only occurs once a week or two.

We've had friends that smack their children's hands when they do something with them that they're not supposed to. Sounds like that won't work with your child, but you could consider it.

Another friend does some punishment in relation to the incident - if a child cries over wanting a toy, take it away. Stuff like that...

In the end, I was just try a variety of things and see what works. I think your child is a bit young for spankings, so I would avoid that no matter what. Otherwise, just see what works. But don't stress too much - be loving, and your child will grow up wanting to do what pleases you (I think). Be patient. She's' testing her boundaries right now, and you might just need to wait her out before you can discipline her better.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Shiroi is right. I think advice in this thread should be limited to those actually with children; there is no substitute.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Furen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Atria35 (post: 1452659) wrote:And I've taken about 3 child-development courses :shady: So boring, but occasionally come in handy.

Agreed, though I do get an upper hand for when I am a choice in babysitting, so it's nice in that respect.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Return to General