Cussing

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:41 am

Sparx00 wrote:I don't get it. It doesn't make the sentence any more special then if I were to say, "That was off the chain!" The swears are just there for the sake of it most of the time.

So is most of English language. For example.

"That meal was really good." The "really" in there is completely unnecessary. Saying "really" doesn't make it any more special than just "That meal was good." How about "That was super cool" or "I was totally in trouble." Lots of people use extraneous and unnecessary words in their sentences. Whether you get it or not, that's how English is. And "bad words" are no exception.
You are actually saying that what the person did/what you ate/what happened etc, was poop.

Why did they say that guy in baseball is stealing first base ha ha why would he take the base and leave the stadium with it that's funny he should leave it on the field so they can keep playing the game.

Taking sentences completely literally isn't how English works. :p
Saying "You're poop." to somebody would be no different then insulting them with any other curse word.

So then stop calling me "cool" because I'm actually really warm since I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt I mean why would you say that my body temperature is low how is that supposed to be a compliment? See, there's that "taking things literally" again. When someone says "You're the s***" that's a compliment because that's how it's used in that context.

Or "Yo man that's a sweet car." The person didn't lick the car and it tasted like sugar, in that context "sweet" is not referring to a type of flavor, but as an adjective expressing excellence. You can play your word games all you like but the fact remains that people can use words to mean different things and so playing the "literal game" does nothing.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Sparx00 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am

Quick edit.

Nate wrote:So is most of English language. For example.

"That meal was d*** good." The "d***" in there is completely unnecessary. Saying "d***" doesn't make it any more special than just "That meal was good." How about "That was super cool" or "I was totally in trouble." Lots of people use extraneous and unnecessary words in their sentences. Whether you get it or not, that's how English is. And "bad words" are no exception.

Would you agree with me when I say that swears aren't really needed and that they are said only for the sake of swearing then?

Why did they say that guy in baseball is stealing first base ha ha why would he take the base and leave the stadium with it that's funny he should leave it on the field so they can keep playing the game.

Taking sentences completely literally isn't how English works. :p

You have a point there. lol

So then stop calling me "cool" because I'm actually really warm since I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt I mean why would you say that my body temperature is low how is that supposed to be a compliment? See, there's that "taking things literally" again. When someone says "You're the s***" that's a compliment because that's how it's used in that context.

Or "Yo man that's a sweet car." The person didn't lick the car and it tasted like sugar, in that context "sweet" is not referring to a type of flavor, but as an adjective expressing excellence. You can play your word games all you like but the fact remains that people can use words to mean different things and so playing the "literal game" does nothing.

Then don't take it literally. The point here is that what you quoted isn't a compliment, it's an insult. An insult is an insult, with or without swear words they still hurt. Any word that you use to insult a person is just as bad as a swear word is what I was trying to say.

Also honest off topic question, what context could s*** have that is meant as a compliment??? I couldn't find anything in the dictionary that was good and/or pleasant.

SnoringFrog wrote:Oh would my roomate have some stories to tell you that would run very contrary to that...

I'll... pass on those stories. :sweat:
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 am

Swearing/cussing is just something that is part of some people's everyday language these days. How things came to be that way I don't know, but I myself grew up around family members and friends who cursed, so eventually I started cursing to. Never in front of my mother though, as she would have washed my mouth out with soap. Wither you start cursing yourself can I think have a lot to do with how the people you hang out with talk and how they react to curse words. For my friends it was 'cool' and 'natural' to curse. Therefore, I picked up a bad habit and it's proving hard to get rid of. My favorite curses seem to be b*** (I always use it in a joking matter with friends for the most part, it doesn't change the fact this word is usually used in terms of an insult or referring to a female dog though), d*** and s***. I try very hard to in least refrain from the f-word as it is most distastful. Unless you're using it in the manner of it's true definiation, then that's just crude. Still distastful any other way though really.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:34 am

Well, in my own pursuit of being a "peculiar" and "set apart" person, I'm just trying to say what I mean and mean what I say. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 am

Sparx00 (post: 1450969) wrote:Also honest off topic question, what context could s*** have that is meant as a compliment??? I couldn't find anything in the dictionary that was good and/or pleasant.
Context for slang has no bearing on standing definitions in any language. It simply is what it is.

For example, the F word has one - single - concrete dictionary definition, yet culturally carries a variety of meaning and even different grammatical categories.

Language isn't stagnant. In even one hundred years, who knows what'll be considered a compliment or an insult.
Fish and Chips

Postby KougaHane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:47 am

"For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died."(Rom. 14:15 ESV)

Replace the word "eat" with "say" and you get my opinion on swearing.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby TGJesusfreak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:55 am

Sparx00 (post: 1450969) wrote:Also honest off topic question, what context could s*** have that is meant as a compliment??? I couldn't find anything in the dictionary that was good and/or pleasant.

yeah lol. It serves no purpose.

We just perceive it as a bad word in today's society. Language is always changing. In 90 years the S word might not be offensive. But today, RIGHT NOW (right now is the time that counts, not past or future), is what we need to pay attention to. Swearing just isnt very nice. I dont appriciate it and I find it repulsive.

Fish and Chips (post: 1450994) wrote:Context for slang has no bearing on standing definitions in any language. It simply is what it is.

For example, the F word has one - single - concrete dictionary definition, yet culturally carries a variety of meaning and even different grammatical categories.

Language isn't stagnant. In even one hundred years, who knows what'll be considered a compliment or an insult.
Exactly. but right now. the F and S word are considered to be swear words. they really dont serve a purpose other than swearing. You can call the S word an adjective if you want, but last time I checked poop never modified a noun XD.

KougaHane (post: 1451002) wrote:"For if your brother is grieved by what you SAY, you are no longer walking in love. By what you SAY, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died."(Rom. 14:15 ESV)

*replaced* I agree.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Midori » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 pm

There is one that I know of. If there's, for example, a video game you really like, like Mario, you can say "Man, Mario's the s***", which implies that Mario is akin to a recreational drug that makes you feel really good.

Just sayin'. >_>

In regards to the actual topic at hand, I'll quote the thing I said in the last thread about the subject:
Midori wrote:It seems to me the primary reason people curse nowadays is to be shocking. Yet if people do it all the time, it's not shocking anymore. I made a reputation in high school for being the guy who never swore. And so the one time I told someone to "shut up", they were so shocked that they did. That's how I prefer to roll.
Midori

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Sparx00 wrote:Would you agree with me when I say that swears aren't really needed and that they are said only for the sake of swearing then?

Maybe, but that doesn't make them bad nor does it mean they shouldn't be used. Otherwise, you'd have to also complain about other words that aren't needed like "really," "literally," "super," "totally," "absolutely," and so on.
The point here is that what you quoted isn't a compliment, it's an insult.

No, again, it's a compliment. "Dude you're the s***" is a compliment. I just got done explaining this with the "sweet" example. In that context, it is a compliment.

You're going to make me do this. You're going to make me use an example of a word that means a compliment in one example and an insult in another. Okay, fine.

"Man that food was really bad." - This is an insult.

"Yo man that was some bad rapping!" - This is a compliment.

The word "bad" can mean "good" depending on context. Sometimes when someone says that something was bad they actually mean that it's awesome. The English language is weird like that. I'm sure you don't have any problem with "bad" meaning "good" so stop trying to pretend that words exist outside of context and that a compliment is an insult.
Also honest off topic question, what context could s*** have that is meant as a compliment??? I couldn't find anything in the dictionary that was good and/or pleasant.

Looking in the wrong dictionary, then. From Urban Dictionary:

s*** - 1) When combined with "the," used to describe something that is the best, greatest

There you go.
"For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died."(Rom. 14:15 ESV)

Replace the word "eat" with "end zone touchdown celebrate" and you get my opinion on football!

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Nate (post: 1451020) wrote:
Replace the word "eat" with "end zone touchdown celebrate" and you get my opinion on football!

I lol'd.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KougaHane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451030) wrote:I lol'd.

Same XDDD
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Cursing doesn't bother me, really. Even the f-word. My dad cusses all the time, so I'm used to it I guess. XD But when people swear every other sentence, it sounds silly.

In the last year or two, I'll admit that I did cuss a few times. But I didn't feel comfortable doing it, and was a little ashamed when one slipped out in front of my sister. If I remember right, I decided to bite my tongue the next time I got that angry, and haven't cussed since.

It's kinda weird when it comes to my writing, though. I don't want to write swear words, so I get to come up with different ways to convey a certain amount of anger sometimes. Without having adults go "darn it", or some other watered-down-sounding phrase. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Sparx00 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Nate wrote:No, again, it's a compliment. "Dude you're the s***" is a compliment. I just got done explaining this with the "sweet" example. In that context, it is a compliment.

I'm not saying that phrase is an insult. I meant what I said, which is, "You are poop" (AKA: "You are (not the) s***") is an insult. I think we might have a misunderstanding.

The word "bad" can mean "good" depending on context. Sometimes when someone says that something was bad they actually mean that it's awesome. The English language is weird like that. I'm sure you don't have any problem with "bad" meaning "good" so stop trying to pretend that words exist outside of context and that a compliment is an insult.

Well, I'm not saying that. I know that there is a vast number of words that can be used for several different purposes (be it an insult or a compliment). But once again, I'm not saying that the phrase "You're the s***" is an insult.

Man... It is so hard for me to try and get what I was trying to say across while on the keyboard. (That's one of the reasons I don't spend much time here in the general section.) I'm not trying to tick you off Nate so I apologize in advance if I'm making you irritated or upset.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451030) wrote:I lol'd.

As did I.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Sparx00 wrote:I'm not saying that phrase is an insult. I meant what I said, which is, "You are poop" (AKA: "You are (not the) s***") is an insult. I think we might have a misunderstanding.

I think we do. Yes, if you say to someone "You're s***," that is definitely an insult. XD I thought you were talking about the phrase that includes "the" in it, in which case, it is a compliment.

Sorry for misunderstanding ya.

Nate

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Midori wrote:It seems to me the primary reason people curse nowadays is to be shocking. Yet if people do it all the time, it's not shocking anymore. I made a reputation in high school for being the guy who never swore. And so the one time I told someone to "shut up", they were so shocked that they did. That's how I prefer to roll.
I don't recall if I said it earlier in this thread, but this is the type of outlook I like. Making curse words actually have some pop and force to them, rather than being almost devoid or any force at all.

=FllMtlNovelist wrote:It's kinda weird when it comes to my writing, though. I don't want to write swear words, so I get to come up with different ways to convey a certain amount of anger sometimes. Without having adults go "darn it", or some other watered-down-sounding phrase. XD
I've run across this dilemma a few times lately. I had a character I made and he really only felt natural cussing almost every line, which I didn't want, so it was a pain to work around his tongue without making it sound glaringly obvious.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1451068) wrote:It's kinda weird when it comes to my writing, though. I don't want to write swear words, so I get to come up with different ways to convey a certain amount of anger sometimes. Without having adults go "darn it", or some other watered-down-sounding phrase. XD

Diaper biscuits!
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 am

Easy there, Cheat Cuss-mando.

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:51 am

I've argued about this topic so often, and I've searched it out and found myself changing my own position several times, so I only have this to say:

I try to control my language, regardless of how I feel about it, because I know how other people feel about it. If this is truly a Romans 14 issue, then I need to make sure I'm not causing other people to sin by acting with doubt. In other words, does my saying certain words give people a false confidence in someone to do something they don't feel right about?

Now, I do draw a distinction with writing. Why? Because the way people talk, even (or in some cases, especially) when they say things they shouldn't is important in characterization. Nothing I've seen in the Bible suggested to me that simply reporting words being said could be wrong. I mean, we see all sorts of things said in the Bible that are wrong for the people speaking them, but the Bible writers weren't wrong to report it, even occasionally in full detail.

I do have people say things in my books that I try not to say because I think it fits the characters. Not only that, but I am still learning to control my words, so it also fits where I am.

There are issues with that that don't even touch morality, though. That's a different topic altogether.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 am

KougaHane (post: 1451002) wrote:"For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died."(Rom. 14:15 ESV)

This is an excellent point. However this does not make swearing itself bad. Rather because people can feel disrespected by it, people should be careful as to who they swear around.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Right, there's a time and a place for everything. Just because you don't think swearing is wrong doesn't mean you should roll up into church on Sunday and be all "GOD IS !@#$ING AWESOME Y'ALL". Also don't swear around other people's kids if you can help it. That's pretty disrespectful.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

I thought about this last night, and strangely enough, there was an episode of Mythbusters on today that was about exactly what I was thinking about last night. How weird is that?

But I'd like to point out that swearing is actually good for you!

That's right. Swearing increases pain tolerance making you more able to handle strenuous situations and physical pain. I remember reading about it a long time ago. The experiment (which they repeated on Mythbusters) was to take a random selection of people and have them stick their hands into ice water. One group was to not swear at all (either staying silent or saying words that weren't "bad words") and the other group was to swear as much as they could.

And they found out that those who were using "bad words" were able to keep their hands in the ice water longer than those who were not. In other words, cussing made them able to endure the pain more and for longer. So next time you're hurt, let out that f-word! It'll make you feel a whole lot better. Literally.

Nate

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Nate (post: 1451264) wrote:I thought about this last night, and strangely enough, there was an episode of Mythbusters on today that was about exactly what I was thinking about last night. How weird is that?

That's right. Swearing increases pain tolerance making you more able to handle strenuous situations and physical pain. I remember reading about it a long time ago. The experiment (which they repeated on Mythbusters) was to take a random selection of people and have them stick their hands into ice water. One group was to not swear at all (either staying silent or saying words that weren't "bad words") and the other group was to swear as much as they could.

And they found out that those who were using "bad words" were able to keep their hands in the ice water longer than those who were not. In other words, cussing made them able to endure the pain more and for longer. So next time you're hurt, let out that f-word! It'll make you feel a whole lot better. Literally.
I meant to bring this up but forgot about it. I didn't realize Mythbusters had done the experiment as well, but I read about when it was done originally.

One thing I wonder is if someone was accustomed to using words that weren't cuss words in the exact same way one would use cuss words (like I how use "pigeons" or "lemons" a lot, or how me and everyone on Battlestar Galactica uses "frak") would they have the same effect? I would imagine so, but I'm not sure. What I've read of the experiment only mentions that people used words that weren't "bad words", not if they were accustomed to using those words all the time in a cuss-like context.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
SnoringFrog

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Nate (post: 1451264) wrote:I thought about this last night, and strangely enough, there was an episode of Mythbusters on today that was about exactly what I was thinking about last night. How weird is that?

When I had my spinal fluid leak in 2009 and had to have a blood patch procedure I did use the f-word quite a bit. Those poor nurses...
Very painful and awful experience. I'm not sure if it's the cursing that got me through it, though. lol

I have seen that episode of Mythbusters and have to say that it does have some merit. It's usually when I injure myself or have bad pain that I tend to curse. So it makes sense.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby jannacle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't curse and I found that there is little need to use that kind of languge even when I'm angry and I don't have to worry about possibly offending someone if i don't use words that some may find ofensive. It just doesn't appeal to me. I am female though, and I think that women are less likely to curse.
[font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]
Jannacle[color="DarkOrchid"][/color]
jannacle

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I don't think that's necessarily true. That just sounds like one of those things people say but it isn't based on any fact, like "There's no women on the internet" or that "Men use the internet more than women." There's no proof of these things.

Nate

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I agree with Nate on this one, but it does seem that way, at least in my experience. I'd say that appearance probably just stems form the assumption that guys are more crude/rude in general, and cursing could easily be placed into that same realm of things.
SnoringFrog

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm

SnoringFrog (post: 1451116) wrote:I've run across this dilemma a few times lately. I had a character I made and he really only felt natural cussing almost every line, which I didn't want, so it was a pain to work around his tongue without making it sound glaringly obvious.

Good, I'm not the only one who deals with this. ^^]Diaper biscuits![/QUOTE]
LOL! :lol:
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby armeck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm

jannacle (post: 1451282) wrote:I don't curse and I found that there is little need to use that kind of languge even when I'm angry and I don't have to worry about possibly offending someone if i don't use words that some may find ofensive. It just doesn't appeal to me. I am female though, and I think that women are less likely to curse.

my friends that are girls cuss just as much as my friends that are guys...
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Sanji07 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Cussing does bother me, even though I've been going to a public school for almost 5 years. At least I don't flinch as much as I used to. >8P
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Previous Next

Return to General