Goku VS. Superman

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Goku VS. Superman

Postby Isaac » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:41 pm

So I was having a convo with one of my old pals about superheroes the other day, and the question came up;
if Goku from Dragon Ball Z were pitted against Superman, who would win? He thinks sup, I say monkey boy. What do you think?

Isaac

Postby goldenspines » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:57 pm

goldenspines

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Superman.

The reason is simple. Goku has died twice fighting extremely powerful villains. Superman did die once as well, but again, Goku died twice. In fact, in Goku's second death, he was in Super Saiyan form. So you can't say "Well Goku would go Super Saiyan and he'd be unstoppable!" because Cell killed Super Saiyan Goku.

Also, Goku's ultimate attack, the Spirit Bomb, would be useless against Superman because the Spirit Bomb is completely ineffective against those with pure good hearts...which of course Superman has.

Goku also may be extremely powerful, and he can definitely take some hits. But overall, his body seems to be just that of a really strong human with no special vulnerabilities. This is why he was killed, even in Super Saiyan form, by an explosion that Superman would probably be hurt by, but it wouldn't kill him. Thus, while Goku has a massively strong offense, he doesn't have much in the way of defense. At least, not as much as Superman has. Given that, Superman would be able to take a lot more punishment than Goku could.

So given that Superman is powerfully strong and Goku's defense is not all that great, and Superman's defense is pretty decent, along with Goku's inability to use his most powerful attack, I'd say Superman is the clear victor.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Winry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:42 pm

I think you are probably right except Superman has kryptonite as a weakness and Goku doesn't have anything like that. Also, in Goku's defense he did die as a Super Saiyan but that isn't him at his strongest. He is able to go SSJ3 before the end of DBZ. But, yeah Superman would still probably win...
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Beau Soir » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 pm

As much as I wish I could say Goku, I can't disagree with Nate's argument.

I'm still more fond of Goku though. :)

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Falx » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Batman would win.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Falx (post: 1445645) wrote:Batman would win.

Yes.
(beat me to it)
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey guys I think Batman would win even though he was killed by Darkseid who was powerful enough to stand toe to toe with Superman. See, being killed by Darkseid, who is as strong as Superman, CLEARLY proves Batman would win.

I mean, if you ignore things like basic logic and intelligence. That's key.

Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Nate (post: 1445655) wrote:Hey guys I think Batman would win even though he was killed by Darkseid who was powerful enough to stand toe to toe with Superman. See, being killed by Darkseid, who is as strong as Superman, CLEARLY proves Batman would win.

I mean, if you ignore things like basic logic and intelligence. That's key.
NO NATE.

BATMAN + PREP TIME = GOD

STOP REFERENCING ACTUAL THINGS THAT HAPPENED.
Fish and Chips

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:57 pm

The real question is why would Goku and Superman be fighting in the first place? You'd think they'd both be on the "save the world" team.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Isaac » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Um, they're sparring?

Remember, Goku's a Saiyan: he becomes exponentially stronger after every battle, which makes this one tough to asess. Goku's far stronger further into the series then in the beginning. I think him at SS3 would be more than a match for Supes, given he can sustain the form long enough to deal critical damage. He has two advantages over Superman: speed- (as in Instant Transmission) -and his ability to sense and control energy. (a super dragon fist never failed to punch straight through an opponent) To be fair, Superman has incredible strength, durability, and intelligence on his side. Even if Goku had a good start and landed a few dozen blows, Superman would likely learn to recognize Goku's attacks after a while and manage to evade many of them.
I think it'd be an incredibly close fight, but, I still feel Goku would muster the willpower to defeat Superman. His gig is; find an enemy that's fearsome and perhaps even stronger than himself, and somehow manage to find a way to defeat them. (à la Deus Ex Machina) He lives to fight stronger and stronger opponents, and Superman would be the ultimate challenge.
Isaac

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Isaac (post: 1445670) wrote:He lives to fight stronger and stronger opponets, and Superman would be the ultimate challenge.
He frequently dies to fight stronger and stronger opponents you mean.
Fish and Chips

Postby Isaac » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:10 pm

lol. Yes, that's what I mean.
Isaac

Postby Falx » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Goku and Superman are fighting because it's all Batman's plan to to catch the Joker.

He also has all the dragonballs in his utility belt, right next to the pouch that has kryptonite (which is just above the one with the Allspark.)

Alternatively:

If Goku and Superman fight, the Enterprise wins.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Isaac wrote:Goku's far stronger further into the series then in the beginning. I think him at SS3 would be more than a match for Supes, given he can sustain the form long enough to deal critical damage.

Yes, I admitted Goku is crazy strong offensively. However, the key point is Goku is lacking defensively. Superman is not. Superman could take Goku's blows, but I really doubt Goku could take Superman's blows...again, even at Super Saiyan, Goku was killed when Cell exploded. Superman would have survived the explosion, no question. He would've been hurt, but he would've lived.

I'm not saying Goku isn't a powerful fighter. But compared to Superman, he's a Glass Cannon. A few good strong hits from Superman would take him out.
He has two advantages over Superman: speed- (as in Instant Transmission) -and his ability to sense and control energy. (a super dragon fist never failed to punch straight through an opponent)

Instant Transmission is indeed a huge advantage, but it's not like Superman has never fought incredibly fast opponents before. Besides, Supes is pretty fast himself, and has raced the Flash on numerous occasions. They usually were gimmicks or something happened before a winner could be determined, although I do think the Flash is faster...it also depends on which Flash, too.

Goku also can sense and control energy, but again, Superman has his defensive abilities. Remember, this is the guy whose hair is so strong he can't use a razor to shave it, because the blade will break.
To be fair, Superman has incredible strength, durability, and intelligence on his side.

That's probably another big advantage Supes has over Goku. Goku isn't exactly smart.
Even if Goku had a good start and landed a few dozen blows, Superman would likely learn to recognize Goku's attacks after a while and manage to evade many of them.

Yep, and after Supes laid a few blows on Goku, Goku would go down.
I still feel Goku would muster the willpower to defeat Superman.

Like Superman doesn't have any willpower? Again, Superman isn't as offensively strong as Goku I don't think, but he has a strong will and determination too. And with the ability to take more punishment than Goku, I think it's clear that he's the winner.

Nate

Postby Alcuinus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:10 pm

EDIT: pfft too late :P
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:15 am

I think the only way Goku would have a chance is if Superman waited for Goku to "power up" for three episodes then fight.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:51 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1445661) wrote:The real question is why would Goku and Superman be fighting in the first place? You'd think they'd both be on the "save the world" team.

This. Superman and Goku would probably be best buds. You know, hang out at each others houses occasionally. Occasionally crack the heads of a few villains. Catch a movie. Maybe make a buddy cop show or something. The point is, they would never be in a situation where they would fight each other to the death or try and beat each other senseless. If for whatever reason they did get into a fight like that, then Superman would win for the various reasons Nate has listed. Goku would put up a good fight I think but I think Superman would deliver a knock out blow before he could deliver his knock out blow.

Now, in a friendly sparring match where both are restraining their powers, then I think Goku might win. In this case, victory would be based on skill and my knowledge of Superman is limited, but it seems to me that he doesn't fight with much finesse while Goku is a trained martial artist. So, this kind of fight seems kind of be like an untrained, street brawler going up against Bruce Lee. Though if I'm completely wrong, and Superman has displayed some level of martial arts skills, then it could go either way.

In an eating contest, Goku would own Superman.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Peanut (post: 1446085) wrote:This. Superman and Goku would probably be best buds. You know, hang out at each others houses occasionally. Occasionally crack the heads of a few villains. Catch a movie. Maybe make a buddy cop show or something. The point is, they would never be in a situation where they would fight each other to the death or try and beat each other senseless. If for whatever reason they did get into a fight like that, then Superman would win for the various reasons Nate has listed. Goku would put up a good fight I think but I think Superman would deliver a knock out blow before he could deliver his knock out blow.

Now, in a friendly sparring match where both are restraining their powers, then I think Goku might win. In this case, victory would be based on skill and my knowledge of Superman is limited, but it seems to me that he doesn't fight with much finesse while Goku is a trained martial artist. So, this kind of fight seems kind of be like an untrained, street brawler going up against Bruce Lee. Though if I'm completely wrong, and Superman has displayed some level of martial arts skills, then it could go either way.

In an eating contest, Goku would own Superman.

Indeed. They're both good guys so there isn't any real reason they would be engaging in a fight to the death.

Now Alucard vs Superman would be a very interesting fight considering their opposing worldviews. Although I have a feeling that one would just end in a stalemate considering that Alucard has nearly unlimited regeneration powers and how he becomes [SPOILER] omnipresent at the end of the manga[/SPOILER]
Yamamaya

Postby Beau Soir » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Peanut (post: 1446085) wrote:In an eating contest, Goku would own Superman.
Yes. I like this.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby kairo14 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Peanut (post: 1446085) wrote: In an eating contest, Goku would own Superman.

Well, that's a given. haha.

Superman is not accustom to being hit by at the level that a S.S.3 Goku can. Its possible Goku could lay super man out right off the cuff. But in the long term super's reserves would be better. S.S 3 Goku has a definite time limit. So, in the long term I would give it to Superman.
ImageImage
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]www.osheadavis.com / "MOES: Go, and scroll no more." [/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Dragonballz rocks, and, Jesus Saves / Naruto does multi-clone no jutsu,, but,, Jesus gives new-birth no jutsu[/SIZE][/font]
kairo14

Postby Yeshua » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm

Why do I find this Supes vs Goku thread everywhere? XDDDD I don't know who wins even if Super would kick Goku's monkey-tail I would root for The Spikey Head XD
Yeshua

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews