Let's stop supporting <illegal streaming site> and others like it

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Let's stop supporting <illegal streaming site> and others like it

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:55 am

I think we should all stop supporting <modsnip> and other illegally streaming anime sites. Why? Because that'll stop their existence. Besides, it's not necessary to watch those sites anyway. Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Youtube all have legally available anime for you to watch, and a pretty impressive selection too. Oh, and did I mention it's also unedited. Yes, you have to sit through ads, but it's a small price to pay. Besides, every time I looked at <modsnip>, my computer got infected with a virus: yet another reason. Hulu and etc won't infect your computer.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 am

^ Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Youtube have the legal, licensed anime. If I want to watch an unlicensed series, I must go to (insert illegal anime streaming site here) or download it.

And some of the greatest series I've watched are ones that will not be licensed (Oh, Dennou Coil and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0! How I want thee on my shelf!)
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 am

Snipped for illegal streaming site names.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:21 am

Atria35 wrote:Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Youtube have the legal, licensed anime. If I want to watch an unlicensed series, I must go to (insert illegal anime streaming site here) or download it.

Yeah pretty much, although Crunchyroll keeps up with new series in Japan, so that's nice. For me at least, if I can't find a series legally I usually don't even know it exists at all. There are a few exceptions, but that's how it goes for the most part.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:44 am

You wouldn't have to sit through ads if you had adblock. :D

For me personally, because my internet is extremely slow about streaming, Hulu and CR and even Funi's site are next to impossible for me to watch anything on (since the video has to constantly remain "buffered" and since my internet isn't strong enough for it, I end up watching five second at a time every 5 minutes. Yeah, kinda annoying). So youtube (Funi's) is my only option and even then, its selection isn't as large as CR (or rather, it doesn't have all the same stuff).

Sadly Rock, there are many, many streaming sites out there. Even if you stop one (and if they have viruses on their site, I suppose it would be good to have them shut down) there are always more. It's a much bigger issue than just stopping people from going to one site or another.

**Disclaimer: Am I NOT by any means encouraging illegal methods for watching anime. Doing things legally is always the better way! :D
goldenspines

Postby Falx » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 am

For someone like me, who cannot access any of the legal sites, the options are rather limited.

At the very least, we can avoid sites or services that expect us to pay for access, as the only place money should go is to the creators when you buy the DVD's when (if) they are licensed.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Hiryu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 am

Excellent Idea! Now we must persuade the overwhelming amount of people that watch these sites to stop viewing them!
Hiryu

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:21 am

What if they made an anime on this topic?

I can see it now...they'd be like... really nerdy Illegal Streaming Patrollers. (ISPs)

...never mind, I don't think it would be that popular anyway.

Fact is, we can call up to arms how bad this stuff is, but it's not going to really stop, even if a small minority of the anime fans are willing.

However, the legal streaming sites are nice, if you have the means to watch them. Perhaps other countries will catch up on the simulcasting that Funi and CR have been able to do.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 am

I have said this before but I still think that the best way to combat illegal anime downloading is to lower the prices!
The reason I rarely buy anime is because it is always so freaking expensive. I have to rely on sales to get cheap stuff. I like the Viridian Collections, that is a really great idea. They just need to be making more of them.
I honestly think that if people didn't have to pay $26.49 for a single-disc anime movie that was released back in 2008 than there would not be as much illegal watching as there is. I mean it would probably cut back.
Of course as ChristianKitsune said there really isn't much we can do. People will still pirate and that is up to the individual if they want to or not.
Wolf-man

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 pm

To be honest, I was pretty surprised to learn that people actually rely on streaming sites to watch shows in general, since 13 times out of 10, the video quality is on par with 240p RMVBs from ten years ago.

I'll stick with H264 MKVs, thanks.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, I don't stream-- legally or illegally --unless I have no other choice.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Since I'm near the end of Mobile Suit Gundam and have a desire to watch 08th MS Team, my first course of action is to check torrent sites. Streaming sites would be the last resort.

I don't feel bad about this because 08th MS Team is no longer currently being produced on DVD. I could buy a DVD set, sure, but the company who made the show wouldn't get any money. They stopped distributing it ages ago. I could buy a used copy, but why bother? Some guy gets the money then, none of it goes to the company. I could mail a check to Sunrise saying "Here's money because I bought a used copy of your show" but that's stupid.

But yeah, I always go for torrents or download sites. Speaking of torrents, I wonder if the new Star Driver is subbed yet...and Kamen Rider. *goes off to check*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:12 pm

blkmage (post: 1450028) wrote:To be honest, I was pretty surprised to learn that people actually rely on streaming sites to watch shows in general, since 13 times out of 10, the video quality is on par with 240p RMVBs from ten years ago.

The average person doesn't really care as long as it doesn't look awful.
Yamamaya

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 pm

blkmage (post: 1450028) wrote:To be honest, I was pretty surprised to learn that people actually rely on streaming sites to watch shows in general, since 13 times out of 10, the video quality is on par with 240p RMVBs from ten years ago.

Actually I generally start watching series streaming, and then if I think it's necessary get some higher quality format. I don't have the internet speed or disk space to leisurely download HD video all the time.
Midori

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm saying it does look awful.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:36 pm

blkmage (post: 1450116) wrote:I'm saying it does look awful.

And you are correct.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:40 pm

blkmage (post: 1450116) wrote:I'm saying it does look awful.

It does. Unfortunately, the large majority don't seem to think so.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1450122) wrote:It does. Unfortunately, the large majority don't seem to think so.
The large majority don't know what their missing either.
goldenspines

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Honestly I don't actually really care very much on most shows, but I'm not the most visually oriented person. I can't stand heavy audio compression though, and much of the time when I go to get a better format it's for the audio and not the video.
Midori

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:53 pm

goldenspines (post: 1450124) wrote:The large majority don't know what their missing either.
It's kind of like how a ton of people use Internet Explorer.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm guessing you're one of them Firefox people, eh 'Clogs? :P

If something is available streaming legally, that's where I'll watch it. Even though crunchyroll gives me grief, and is annoying...I'll still use hulu, crunchyroll and netflix. But when things aren't available, then I find...alternate means. And I stream. My Dad designs speakers, and is very particular about sound quality, picture quality and quality in general, so I know what I'm missing? But, as long as I can tell what's going on I'm usually not too picky. It's nice when I come across good quality though, it feels like a great treat. =)
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1450166) wrote:I'm guessing you're one of them Firefox people, eh 'Clogs? :P
In·ter·net Ex·plor·er
[in-ter-net ik-splawr-er]
-noun
1. A useful tool for downloading Firefox

Though, as far as illegal streaming sites go, I used to use them for whatever I wanted to watch that wasn't licensed, but now I've started using torrents. For a while, I still preferred streaming because it went faster, but I've found it's easier just to download torrents and not deal with other stuff.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1450181) wrote:In·ter·net Ex·plor·er
[in-ter-net ik-splawr-er]
-noun
1. A useful tool for downloading Firefox

LOL. xD (all browsers are created evil, but okay. :lol: )

I'm always scared to download for fear of getting...stuff...on my computer, and I'd have neverending guilt. :oops: Which is inconvenient.
MightiMidget

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1450020) wrote:What if they made an anime on this topic?

I can see it now...they'd be like... really nerdy Illegal Streaming Patrollers. (ISPs)

So basically "Genshiken" meets "You're Under Arrest!!". Hmm...I would watch it!

ChristianKitsune (post: 1450020) wrote:Fact is, we can call up to arms how bad this stuff is, but it's not going to really stop, even if a small minority of the anime fans are willing.

Quoted for Truth: For every person out there who wants to do the right thing, there are three that feel it is their "right" to download anime by less-than-honorable means, and will admit it proudly.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:19 pm

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:For every person out there who wants to do the right thing, there are three that feel it is their "right" to download anime by less-than-honorable means, and will admit it proudly.

*looks around* Hey where are the other two?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Nate (post: 1450217) wrote:*looks around* Hey where are the other two?

*raises hand*

Now we just need one more!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Hmm.

Hrrrrrrrmmm...

If this thread turns into a religious war over whether illegal acquisition of anime is morally wrong or not, I can hardly predict good things coming out of that.

At the risk of causing this to happen I shall state my opinion on this, which I believe is held by many other members.

I do not believe that illegally acquiring anime is always wrong. However, I also try to support the industry when I can by paying legitimately for things. For instance, I recently purchased the Black Rock Shooter OVA on blu-ray straight from Japan, even though I had previously torrented a fansub of it shortly after it was aired. It is the same way with many other things for us. I have been showing Toradora to my family from my computer, acquired from an illegal source, and we all love it so much that we decided that if we saw the DVDs of it in a store we would buy it without a second thought. So far we haven't seen it anywhere.
Midori

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Toradora is out, but it is rare. The only online-store that I have seen it is Robert's Anime Corner store.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1450250) wrote:*raises hand*

Now we just need one more!

*raises hand...also*

I probably shouldn't encourage this but you guys seem so lonely:grin:

ShiroiHikari wrote:Yeah, I don't stream-- legally or illegally --unless I have no other choice.

This. Downloading is where its at, baby.
Wolf-man

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:11 am

The real problem is that illegal streaming has already led to the death of two anime distributors, one of which I liked. True, some of Geneon's titles have been picked up by FUNimation and other companies, but it's still sad.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews