Why do some christians treat homosexuals badly and is it a sin?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Ella Edric (post: 1450110) wrote:Ill make my opinion short and sweet. It doesn't matter if you disagree with the behavior of another, you should still be kind and Christ-like to those around you. Whether they be gay, alchoholic, a communist or w/e. You should still treat everyone with kindness. "Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you." Although I do not agree with it I can still respect it and love others who are like that. :)

Seeing these grouped together made me laugh quite a bit.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey I had friends in college who were communists/anarchists and I came to have mutual respect with them too despite disagreeing with them. I don't know any alcoholics though...
Midori

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Ella Edric wrote:a communist

What?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Nate (post: 1450118) wrote:What?

Ripper: Mandrake?
Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have.
Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.

EDIT: I think that this has been quite well enough derailed, so to bring it back around:

Fermy, that was quite brave of you. I'm glad to have you here on the site.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby fermy6 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanx bud
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 pm

I gotta hand it to gays/lesbians . . . they are freakin' funny. I don't know if it comes with the territory or what, but some of the funniest people I've ever met were gay.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Nate wrote:What?

XD Its an example. lol

And fermy, what Coggy said. That was very brave. :)
Ella Edric

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Ella Edric wrote:XD Its an example. lol

An example of what though? o.O I mean it makes no sense in context. I mean it's the same as if you said "Whether they be gay, alchoholic, a redhead, or w/e. You should still treat everyone with kindness."

Nate

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Exactly! I dont care what, or who the person is, what they look like, how they believe what they struggle with they should still be loved and treated wth respect.
Ella Edric

Postby fermy6 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1450147) wrote:I gotta hand it to gays/lesbians . . . they are freakin' funny. I don't know if it comes with the territory or what, but some of the funniest people I've ever met were gay.

Funny enough I'm actually the clown amongst my friends

Thanx Ella Edric
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:48 pm

fermy6 wrote:Funny enough I'm actually the clown amongst my friends

There we are, then.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Nate (post: 1450151) wrote:An example of what though? o.O I mean it makes no sense in context. I mean it's the same as if you said "Whether they be gay, alchoholic, a redhead, or w/e. You should still treat everyone with kindness."

Redheads? Now, I can deal with loving alcoholics and gay people. But you want me to show compassion to redheads?

Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Seriously, redheads is just taking it too far. I mean, if we accept the redheads, next thing you know they'll want us to accept the blueheads and the purpleheads. Before you know it, we'll have to accept heads of every color of the rainbow. We'll have to accept them all the way across the board and it would just be too intense.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:03 pm

;_____; But but.... Im a red head.

EDIT: Terrible typo. T_T;;
Ella Edric

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:05 pm

We know, Ella. And we respect you anyway.

Nate

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 pm

;_____; But but.... Im a read head.

Don't worry. Plenty of notable people are read heads. For example, Nagato Yuki.
Yes, she's a read head, but she's also saved the world a few times. Read heads can do extraordinary things.

And who can forget Arthur Read?

(I'm completely joking with you, btdubs, XD)
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kunoichi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:41 pm

I haven't read everyone's post so if its been said, sorries ahead of time. I think people can treat anyone they view as "more of a sinner" because they forget they are exactly the same (sin wise). If all sins are equal in the eyes of God, well we don't have a right judge anyone anyways.

I have several friends who are homosexuals. I have also told them while i don't agree with their choices, it won't change me being friends with them or loving them less. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I've been judged for that too. I think everyone can probably say or at least have experienced being judged before by Christians and non-Christians.

I know that's a little off the original post (maybe). I'm sure this has all been said, but in my opinion, maybe some Christians (or the Christians you have seen judge homosexuals so harshly) forget they are just as sinful. I know that I catch myself sometimes judging and then I get that reminder that I'm no better than a murderer or anyone else out there.

Also if this post makes no sense, I'm on heavy pain pills atm so I'm tired and loopy. As always just my opinion :)
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Furen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:50 pm

I've read nothing, but I agree that they shouldn't be labeled as outcasts, I don't agree with them, but doesn't mean I shouldn't love them too.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Okami » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I believe homosexuality is a sin, but bear no grudge against the person who finds themselves to be gay or lesbian. I've got some awesome LGBT friends. One of the coolest guys I've ever met was Swedish, and openly Jewish and gay. ....I still find it ironic and oxymoronic, but his lifeview totally shattered my bubble forever. xD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Just treat people with respect, period. LGBT persons are human beings also, so treat them like you acknowledge that they have legitimate feelings, goals, ambitions, likes, dislikes, opinions, etc. --i.e. like a friend.

I have several lesbian friends, a couple who are gay and one who is transgender. While I don't agree with them (friends don't always agree with one another on everything) it is not my place to pass any judgement on them or decide whether or not they are sinners. My place is to just go through life with them as a friend and be there through life's successes, hurdles, failures, joys, etc. And pray that they will experience Christ's love and come to know the One who gives life and life abundantly.

One friend in particular among my LGBT friends has the same disorder I am suspected of having. Her support (even as she faces her own health struggles) as I face my health challenges, means SO much to me and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Also, I'd like to post that article that RD linked to in her post. But I want to be sensitive to my LGBT friends. Do you think they'd find it offensive?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby fermy6 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 am

If u guys have any questions on this matter please dont hesitate to ask me any
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 am

goldenspines (post: 1450089) wrote:To echo what most people have been saying, whether homosexuality is a sin or not is not really what matters. I don't think we should be treating people any different whether we know for sure if they are sinning or not because everyone is sinful (no sin is "worse" than the rest, I think. Sin is sin). We're not called to be judges of people's hearts, but rather to love everyone, even if they are our enemy (or even someone who just makes us upset).

In terms of loving people, yes, do love all people regardless of what sins they have committed.
But on the other hand - it doesn't matter if it's a sin or not? If someone is sinning (and not actively trying not to), then wouldn't the loving thing be to tell them not to (in a loving way obviously)? For example, loving a person who is eating an icecream would look different to loving someone who is mixing pagan rituals with Christianity - surely the loving thing there would be to help them in their godliness by advising them to stop the other pagan rituals.
Similarly, if homosexuality is a sin, then shouldn't we be helping our brothers and sisters onto the path of godliness? Or do we resign the controversiality of homosexuality being a sin to be a personal decision? That seems quite odd to me... it goes against the gist of the Bible being useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, etc.
Of course, love should be shown in other ways.. otherwise they'd be sick of you only being around to talk about godliness and sin....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 am

TGJesusfreak (post: 1450036) wrote:I was just thinking about stuff lately... I personally beleive that homoesxuality is a sin and all that. but I do NOT think that the people involved in it are bad or any worse than me.

because honestly, according to the bibleall sins are equal to God right?

So if it's a sin and we ridicule homosexuals and think them evil and terrible, then I guess we should treat liars and guttonous people the same way right? (/sarcasm)

I guess what I am saying is hat I think that I find it horrible that there is a group of christian out there in the world who treat one sin like it is 1000 times worse than any other.

Like my mom always says:
"hate the sin love the person"

But before the debate starts (and I know it will) Here are the verses that make me beleive that homosexuality is a sin:

Lev. 18:22:
"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female]They really only need love. condemning them will not help them at all. They need us as christians to EMBRACE them and love them for real. and that isnt what a lot of christians have been doing unfortunatly.[/b]

okays, that's it. Let the debate begin and PLEASE keep it nice people ^^;;

Mods: if this thread seems to get a bit out of hand please close it immdiatly I dont want any bashing of homosexuals or anything >.>;;;

They're just people in sexual sin that need God and prayer like anyone else- like any adulterer or fornicator. (Though, I might argue worse in the way that it defies the natural order in of itself.)

I think we just need to be careful. We need to love the person, and telling them that their sexual perversions are acceptable is not loving them. (And that goes for any sin- lying, stealing, cheating, etc.) 'Course, going Westboro on them isn't right at all either.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 am

Nate (post: 1450038) wrote:This thread won't end well.

So to answer your question:

1. Because it's human nature to treat those who are different in some way badly.

2. No.

12 dudes that traveled with Christ himself and some other dudes that have/had massive impact on the world for the benefit of the world.

Theological Knowledge Level = Anit no thing.

Nate, Navy man.

Theological Knowledge Level = Spades.

If u guys have any questions on this matter please dont hesitate to ask me any wrote:If u guys have any questions on this matter please dont hesitate to ask me any

Why be gay?
Solid Ronin

Postby fermy6 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 am

I dont believe that it was my choice
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby airichan623 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 am

TGJesusfreak (post: 1450036) wrote:I was just thinking about stuff lately... I personally beleive that homoesxuality is a sin and all that. but I do NOT think that the people involved in it are bad or any worse than me.

because honestly, according to the bibleall sins are equal to God right?

Like my mom always says:
"hate the sin love the person"

Agreement. Loving the person is the best option.
Atria35 (post: 1450057) wrote:I think that it's human nature to treat others differently, but homosexuality is an easy sin to target (as far as it is a sin- I personally don't believe so, but this isn't the place for that discussion). It's far more visible to others- you can hide adultery and others for years. Homosexuality... not as much in this day and age, even though it can still be done.

YES. I agree with this statement: it's only pounded on so much because it is public.

But one sorta related question: does it make you a homophobe if you don't want to be exposed to public displays of it? Case in point, my friend called me a 'homophobe' because I made it clear that I do not support or want to even think about yaoi. And yet we are both friends with a lesbian girl. (I have not told this friend off or anything)
fermy6 (post: 1450096) wrote:I might as well say it......im gay(no joking im 100% serious)

I admire your honesty, man.

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1450081) wrote:So, then. There's a guy on my worship team who I'm fairly certain is gay. I mean, he doesn't go mincing around, talking about attractive men, but he sets off the gaydar, all right.

Dont make assumptions: I have a coworker who talks sorta gay, and acts kinda gay. However, he is totally straight [self stated], a Christian, and attending a local Bible college. His best friend [also my coworker] has been called that, and I could tell it kinda hurt his feelings. (this guy is also my crush :red:) Just because they act what is perceived as gay doesnt mean they are.
---
One thing I feel strongly about though is that Christians need to give up ALL their sins to the Lord. Not saying I have, cause I havent, but I have issues with the fact that some people think its perfectly OK to be a strong believer/spiritual leader and gay. Same thing with leaders in the church who commit adultry.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:46 am

Similarly, if homosexuality is a sin, then shouldn't we be helping our brothers and sisters onto the path of godliness? Or do we resign the controversiality of homosexuality being a sin to be a personal decision? That seems quite odd to me... it goes against the gist of the Bible being useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, etc.

I think the difficult thing to balance here is the fact that most people in the LGBT community feel that it isn't their choice to be the way they are. I know my friend who I mentioned earlier fought against it for a very long time, but according to her God was pushing her to accept herself (in b4 "the devil tricked her!" and "she just gave up!"). From what I understand, the majority of gays, lesbians, and other LGBT folks don't want to be that way. If they had their choice, they'd be straight so they wouldn't have to put up with all the struggle. This is why I think homosexuality is more difficult to deal with in a friend than, say, a friend who's choosing to eat more ice cream than they should. Sexuality is much more intricately tied in how we identify ourselves than what we eat. To encourage an LGBT person to be straight or be the man/woman they were born as, even if it's done in the nicest most loving manner possible, can still come across as not being accepting/respectful of that person and not understanding where they're coming from. What might be better, in my opinion and experience, would be encouraging them to take it to God and ask for His guidance while you, as a friend, prepare to keep being a friend no matter what. If your friend isn't a Christian, then simply show them how God loves all people and sent Himself as Christ to Earth for all people like you would anyone else.

EDIT:
airi wrote:But one sorta related question: does it make you a homophobe if you don't want to be exposed to public displays of it? Case in point, my friend called me a 'homophobe' because I made it clear that I do not support or want to even think about yaoi. And yet we are both friends with a lesbian girl. (I have not told this friend off or anything)

Not at all. I'll bring up my best friend again. She likes cutesy girl-love. I told her that I struggle with that and prefer not to see it because it really takes my focus off of God. I was afraid she might get offended or tell me I was homophobic, but instead she told me that wasn't the case at all and that if it drew me away from God then I should stay away from it and that's okay. I'd say your friend is being immature. Homosexuality aside, yaoi is a subgenre like anything else and people have preferences when it comes to the entertainment they like and don't like. I had a similar experience in high school. Some yaoi fangirl in anime club shoved the stuff in my face (literally) and I was like "Dude, I don't like that stuff. Get it out of my face." She probably thought I was homophobic, but a lot of yaoi fangirls are just immature like that.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 am

I think what people mean when they say "it doesn't matter if it's a sin or not" is that basically, our job is to love people, regardless of whether or not they're LGBTQ. Regardless, it's only going to push them away if we do nothing but constantly rail them about how we think they're "sinning." And if they've got a personal relationship with Jesus and are Christians, then I think we can trust that He will lead them in the way He wants them to go, and if He wants to work on something in their hearts, then that's His job, and not ours to judge.

In short, "it doesn't matter if it's a sin or not" is more referring to how we should love people regardless of what we think of what they're doing, instead of constantly judging what isn't ours to judge.

EDIT: Also, what Rushia said, 100%. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 am

Solid Ronin (post: 1450340) wrote:Why be gay?

For all the awesome gay men :lol: Seriously, as a woman I have a habit of falling in love with gay men. I have no idea they're gay, I start getting attracted, they have a great personality, and BAM! I find out they're gay. Crush over. A lot the great men that I meet seem to be gay (or if not gay, they're already taken).

But I usually end up with an awesome friend.
Atria35

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 am

I'm going to be honest here: I think homosexuality is a sin.

However, it is no more or less a sin than any other sin any and all of us have committed, and does not excuse disrespect or mistreatment in any form. There is no position of moral superiority in this discussion, nor can there be among us mere mortals. I'm not gay, but I still have my cross to bear, as do we all. Not one among us is not held down by the weight of sin.

What I do find fault with is how both parties in this discussion have fed off each other for years, resulting in a sort of symbiotic, cancerous relationship it may now be far too late for human hands to ever stop or fix.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to General