The 'heat death of the anime industry' thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

The 'heat death of the anime industry' thread

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 am

Much has been said about the spiral of doom that the anime industry has trapped itself in. More is being said. Recently, Mr. Yutaka Yamamoto, who is famous for directing the first season of Haruhi and getting replaced after the first four episodes of Lucky Star, had this to say.
While many businesses go abroad to take advantage of low production costs, Yutaka Yamamoto is looking overseas for inspiration to jump-start what had once been considered an infallible Japanese product: anime.

The anime creator, who likens his trade to manufacturing, says he seeks to develop an equal standing with partners overseas.

"The bubble has burst" in Japan for the anime industry, Yamamoto said.

He said the reluctance of the anime industry to change its business practices has driven down wages, drained the creative spirit and consequently turned off many fans.

"It is becoming the norm to order some of our work to anime productions in China and South Korea. Not because we want to suppress our personnel costs, but rather because we are unable to find enough people to work (in Japan)," Yamamoto, 36, said.

He said that while the skills and quality of work produced in those countries are improving, "many of the works appear to have been influenced strongly by Japanese designs."

"I'm hoping that something that is typical of that country will come out," Yamamoto said.

Yamamoto's expectations come from watching the domestic industry become glutted with similar anime styles.

He joined an anime production company after graduating from college, and he helped to create such popular anime hits as "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu" (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) and "Lucky Star."

Three years ago, he started his own business, which today employs about 10 people.

But while he has found the work of his calling, he said he is facing a "block."

"There was a time when people were under the impression that anime makes money, and that anime is a culture that can gain respect worldwide," Yamamoto said. "But at the same time, the priority has been on quantity."

Working conditions have remained dire, and the industry has been hit by a chronic shortage of creators.

The recession exacerbated the animators' woes as sponsorships have shriveled since around 2007. With television broadcasters cutting their budgets, the anime industry has tried to make up for lost sales through DVD productions. But even that strategy has been undermined by illegal broadcasts on the Internet.

Another concern for the industry is a possible shrinking fan base. Estimates put the population of die-hard anime fans at around 150,000. But Yamamoto suspects the number now falls short of 100,000.

Part of the reason, Yamamoto said, is that producers, including himself, devoted too much of their energies in creating cutesy "moe" (budding)-type characters in hopes of making sure-sell products in an already small market.

"Although the otaku (geek) market is said to be a robust one, even the otaku are not immune to Japan's economic doldrums," Yamamoto said.

Yamamoto is now trying to think outside of the box.

Last year, he directed "Watashi-no Yasashikunai Senpai" (My mean senior colleague), a romance-comedy featuring popular teenage actress Umika Kawashima and comedian Satoshi Kanada.

Yamamoto said the experience reminded him of the importance of human interface.

"In anime, the division of labor has become the norm. And in some cases, one never meets other staff involved in the same project. That may be one reason for the current stagnant situation," Yamamoto said.

Yamamoto said his new way of thinking has helped to open up business opportunities. He joined hands with Good Smile Co., an anime character figurine maker, to create an anime DVD packaged as a promotional tool for an anime figurine.

His latest anime series, "Fractale," to be aired from Jan. 13 on Fuji Television Network Inc., will target non-anime fans and one-time fans who have shifted away from the genre.

"The anime industry is said to have become introverted. But our business is about providing something fun and exciting to people. I decided to stop being inward-looking," Yamamoto said.

Yamamoto said he hopes to create an interface with prospective fans overseas through such measures as adding subtitles to his works.

Nevertheless, he believes simply selling anime abroad is not enough. He said it is crucial for the domestic market to regain its vibrancy that will attract people overseas.

"I hope that we can develop an equal relationship with creators overseas, and not simply subcontract work. For that, we need to continue creating works that other people will be interested in," Yamamoto said.

To put this into context, he's mentioned a few times before that if Fractale ends up failing, he'll be quitting anime.

Personally, I think the industry is learning, even if they're slow or aren't getting it right or are being forced into it out of desperation. Things like Anime no Chikara show that they're trying and the expansion and continuing popularity of noitaminA is a good sign. There was also definitely a noticeable trend towards movies and OVAs in 2010.
blkmage

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 am

Part of the reason, Yamamoto said, is that producers, including himself, devoted too much of their energies in creating cutesy "moe" (budding)-type characters in hopes of making sure-sell products in an already small market.

And there's my reason for not being nearly as interested in anime as I once was. XD I really hope that the industry has learned from that mistake, because I wouldn't mind seeing some well-produced, interesting, and creative anime with good stories again. Here's hoping the entire moe phase becomes a thing of the past, and the industry finds something fresh and interesting (and preferably not all geared towards hardcore otaku) to produce soon. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am

Well it's about time they learned. Moe only works for so long before it becomes stale.

That's one of the reasons I liked Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt so much. It was unlike anything I'd seen in an anime in a long time.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am

blkmage (post: 1449805) wrote:
Personally, I think the industry is learning, even if they're slow or aren't getting it right or are being forced into it out of desperation. Things like Anime no Chikara show that they're trying and the expansion and continuing popularity of noitaminA is a good sign. There was also definitely a noticeable trend towards movies and OVAs in 2010.

I think they're learning, too. And I do think that movies and OAVs are the way to go for the time being-- it's certainly been good for Gundam and Evangelion. With a movie or an OAV you don't have to worry as much about ratings, just ticket/disc sales.

I also think that after the economy starts to recover, the industry will bounce back. I'm trying to be optimistic about it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 am

I am not so much opposed to the moe trend as the overwhelming fanservice and sex trend, which I am hoping the crazy lolitics going on in Japan will at least help to reduce some, even if they do some damage while doing it. This season of anime fortunately looks much less fanservicey than the last few. The show I expected to be the second worst that way this season, Infinite Stratos, was not nearly as raunchy as I feared. The worst-looking show I have little hope for though.
Midori

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:06 am

His latest anime series, "Fractale," to be aired from Jan. 13 on Fuji Television Network Inc., will target non-anime fans and one-time fans who have shifted away from the genre.

Speaking as someone who has generally shifted away from anime, I don't know that this is really the key to getting me more involved. I think that for many people in my position, it's not a matter of there being no shows targeting me, but rather that they have spent all of their effort in promoting moe shows that don't interest me*. I know that there are good shows out there, it's just that in order to find them I tend to have to do a lot more digging than I used to.

It's interesting that you mention that OVAs have been more popular. I know that most of my anime viewing in the last year or two has been largely focused on movies and OVAs, since they have been the most widely known, easily attainable form of anime that appeals to me recently.

*By which I mean that there are a lot of shows that I am not interested in which just so happen to also have a moe art style.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 am

Part of the reason I'm still into anime is because there are so many older shows that I haven't yet seen, so I have a HUGE backlog of stuff I'm slowly working through. If you can't find current anime to like, maybe look for older stuff?

Also Japan needs to stop charging so much money for DVDs of older shows. If old super robot shows were cheaper to obtain, I'd buy a lot more of them. But the fact is, they're prohibitively expensive.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1449819) wrote:Part of the reason I'm still into anime is because there are so many older shows that I haven't yet seen, so I have a HUGE backlog of stuff I'm slowly working through. If you can't find current anime to like, maybe look for older stuff?

Oh, definitely. I just feel that most geek subcultures are focused on new stuff, so I don't really think I would consider myself as "into" anime. It's really more of an interest that is encapsulated within my larger interest in TV shows and movies.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 am

Ah, I see.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:36 am

Yamamaya (post: 1449813) wrote:Well it's about time they learned. Moe only works for so long before it becomes stale.

That's one of the reasons I liked Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt so much. It was unlike anything I'd seen in an anime in a long time.

Haha yea I noticed on <snipped> that series...I was like "That's an unusual title, sounds like some peepshow anime though :P"

Let's just hope that the anime industry doesn't mirror Hollywood movies though which AREN'T doing original ideas anymore...Green Hornet anyone??
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1449826) wrote:Let's just hope that the anime industry doesn't mirror Hollywood movies though which AREN'T doing original ideas anymore...Green Hornet anyone??

No one here but us chickens.

Cognitive Gear

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:25 pm

A general issue I have with people complaining about "moe shows" or the downfall of the anime industry is that I'm not entirely sure it was all that much better 10 or 20 years ago as some people claim it is.

Yeah, more series were produced, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily better. All the anime productions that were big hits in the west didn't air in the same season. And how many of all those 80s mecha series would actually be remembered now if it wasn't for Super Robot Wars?

That said, I will agree the anime industry has been playing it safe the past few years. I'm largely blaming the recession for a good part of this. And with the bursting of the US anime bubble, they don't produce as much "Western-targeted" anime as they used to. So, that's another problem there.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 pm

I never really liked "Western-targeted" anime in the first place. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:29 pm

MasterDias (post: 1449838) wrote:A general issue I have with people complaining about "moe shows" or the downfall of the anime industry is that I'm not entirely sure it was all that much better 10 or 20 years ago as some people claim it is.

Right, I think it's important to note that he says that the problem is more that the industry is (and has always been) very inward-looking. It's not too hard to see some general trends.

It's also very easy, as foreign fans, to reminisce about the good old days when the good old days were largely filtered by the time they reached us. If all you had was Cowboy Bebop, Eva, and Utena, then of course anime in the 90s was better.

I actually think some of the most interesting and creative anime was made during the 'moe phase' in the last few years. And even among those that aren't, there are some pretty good shows. Good shows will be good and bad shows will be bad.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:40 pm

I've also been pretty impressed with A1 Pictures (or whoever is ultimately in charge...Aniplex I presume) doing all of these original anime productions recently between Anime no Chikara, Fractale this season, and Ano Hana in the Spring. It is encouraging. So, hopefully they will continue with this, and maybe eventually they will actually have a clear success.

Yutaka Yamamoto may be setting himself up for a fall though. How is he going to judge whether he was successful or not anyway? Critical reaction, TV ratings, DVD sales, some combination of those?
Making all these claims about quitting anime if unsuccessful is kind of...pretentious to me.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Nanao » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1449819) wrote:...I have a HUGE backlog of stuff I'm slowly working through. If you can't find current anime to like, maybe look for older stuff?

so far i haven't had a huge problem finding anime that i like to watch either, but a lot of it has also been older stuff (not all though). i am very interested to see fractale. from what i've seen it looks like an interesting anime, definitely one that i'll give a try.

there is a lot to be said for allowing creativity. it struck me as interesting that Yamamoto talks about the need to "think outside the box." it seems like anime has really created a lot of diversity and pushed a lot of boundaries outside of Japan already. maybe now it's time to do that again?

ShiroiHikari (post: 1449819) wrote:Also Japan needs to stop charging so much money for DVDs of older shows. If old super robot shows were cheaper to obtain, I'd buy a lot more of them. But the fact is, they're prohibitively expensive.

took the words right out of my mouth with this.
Nanao

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:52 am

Psycho Molos (post: 1449826) wrote:Haha yea I noticed on <snipped> that series...I was like "That's an unusual title, sounds like some peepshow anime though :P"

You could've watched it on Crunchyroll, where you can watch streaming anime LEGALLY!!! NOTE TO EVERYONE: <snipped> is illegal: STOP SUPPORTING IT!:mutter:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:08 pm

rocklobster (post: 1449966) wrote:You could've watched it on Crunchyroll, where you can watch streaming anime LEGALLY!!! NOTE TO EVERYONE: <snipped> is illegal: STOP SUPPORTING IT!:mutter:

Calm down crusader. Most people know that it's a "copyright violation" to watch it on illegal streaming websites. Whether or not they chose to watch it anyway is up to their conscious. Shouting at them won't help.

Answering Psycho's question, it isn't a peep show anime, but it does have some pretty inappropiate things in it. Think of it as a South Park version of Powerpuff girls with a heavy dose of anime tropes.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1449840) wrote:I never really liked "Western-targeted" anime in the first place. XD

Agreed. Most of us were attracted to anime in the first place because it was different than the regular stuff we get in the West. :P
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:08 pm

So, anime DVD prices are better than they used to be, but still not good enough. I don't understand why they insist on doing these "split season" sets. It's only 26 episodes; just put the whole thing in one box you jerks. Like Funi's release of Casshern Sins. I would buy it if a) it was in one box b) it didn't cost like $30 for each half of it. I repeat: IT'S ONLY 26 EPISODES.

Also, Ouran. I would buy the Blu-ray set if it didn't cost almost $50. TWENTY. SIX. EPISODES.

Also frigging Media Blasters; I will never trust you again since you never released the final volume of Dairugger XV like you said you would. I tried to support old super robot shows in the US and I got bitten in the butt for it. Now I'll probably never watch Dairugger because I'll probably never get to see the end of it unless I find it through other means.

The same thing happened a few years back with Aura Battler Dunbine. ADV pressed very limited quantities of the final two volumes, and now nobody can find them, so the prices are massively inflated. And now there's no point in buying the series because YOU CAN'T SEE HOW IT ENDS unless you order the HKDVDs or something.

I MAD.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Yeah, I have far less optimism for the non-Japanese anime market.

Well, Asia and Europe don't seem to be doing too badly, but I think it's because their expectations are much lower (this entire sentence is completely unsubstantiated).
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Anime is never going to be cheaper than about $50/$60 per boxset. That's about as low a retail price they can sell it for and still actually make a profit. And, honestly, it isn't really any more expensive now than something like video games are. So I just don't see that big of a deal with the current prices. Online sales will usually shave quite a bit off of the retail price anyway.

I still remember when they sold 26 episodes for $200...

MasterDias

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm

At least you get many, many hours of entertainment out of a $60 video game (most of the time). With anime, chances are that unless I REALLY REALLY liked the series, I will never, ever rewatch it.

Also, with Ouran, the $40 tag IS the sale price. The list price is more like $60. I understand that they gotta pay them voice actors but I'm not going to listen to the dub track anyway...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:56 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1452252) wrote:At least you get many, many hours of entertainment out of a $60 video game (most of the time). With anime, chances are that unless I REALLY REALLY liked the series, I will never, ever rewatch it.

Maybe so, but that has no real relevance to pricing. As far as games go, ten hour shooters are the same price as fifty hour RPGs. Maybe I'm the exception here, but I don't actually replay video games very much either, no matter how much I payed for them.

MasterDias

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:13 pm

I rewatch anime. Apparently I'm wierd for that, but since I know I'm giong to rewatch anime, depending on how much I loved it I'm willing to pay a higher price.

For instance, I bought the $45 Monster boxset with only 15 eps. Will I do that for the entire series? Yeah, if I have the cash on me. BNot only would I buy the boxset, I'll pre-order it. Because I know I like it that much and know I will rewatch it.

For something that I haven't seen before and don't know whether I'll like, I'm more likely to pay $20-$25. It's more of a risk for me since I don't know for sure whether I'll like it, and are not willing to risk that much money.

But there are series that just aren't popular enough to warrent the $60 for 26 episodes, sadly enough. But that's what they charge!
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Someone has listened to the ANN podcast so I don't have to. Normally, I'd have skipped over this blog post, but the mention of the Kara no Kyoukai BD set caught my attention. Apparently, they had the RightStuf guy on to talk about the state of R1 distribution and he seems to have reasonable opinions and acts rationally, unlike the chaps at Funimation. Anyway, I'll copy and paste the notes and highlight the ones that were most interesting to me.

So, Darth Anime Drug Pusher speaketh. I take notes:
  1. This is exaggeration, but re-releases are killing the industry! Why? Because it slows down habitual buyers, and makes the scene less interesting. New licenses drives up interests.
  2. [color="Lime"]Sub-only sells (but we know this one), in terms of making ends meet and making a buck for him.[/color]
  3. Wide-release, casual-friend titles bring organic growth, not so much for immediate profit.
  4. Different retailers will experience the anime fandom’s purchasing power differently. It’s a disclaimer but it should be well noted.
  5. Zac transits into Aniplex’s expensive box sets, ROD and Rakkyo. But wait, they didn’t talk about the ROD box at all?
  6. [color="lime"]As observed, the Garden of Sinners preorder is selling beyond expectations, confirmed Shawne. It’s beyond his expectations anyways. More importantly Shawne predicts that they will run out of them![/color]
  7. [color="lime"]The discussion naturally segues into that added value does promote people’s behavior in handing over money for physical goods. It’s a big reason why people do such a thing.[/color]
  8. Dissing paper-thin boxes. [Hey ADV how's it going?] I think by cheap we all think FUNi’s SAVE line and certain S23 releases, for example. I think you know what I’m referring to, I hope. But there’s an end to that market, and Shawne highlights this spectrum in his customers.
  9. Blu-Ray uptake is serious business. So are SKUs. But that’s typical retail talk for ya. I’m not going to read too much into this but a good geek can probably shed some light on what all this is, if you are into retail talk. Basically he says at the $5-10 markup between a BD SKU and a DVD SKU, the uptake on BD is significant.
  10. The discussion goes into this “how to serve cash-only buyers” tangent. RS still takes cash and check and MO, after all. This cash customer tangent is more about generational shift than actually access. Think about it. If you were 12 years old when you watched Shuffle as it got fansubbed, you are about 18 years old now. What can we sell to kids? It’s a complex problem.
  11. [color="lime"]This retailer can’t tell if streaming helps or hurts sales. But he is saying that streaming does combat consumer info gap and make people take plunge (if they want).[/color] It matches what TAN is doing. Man, imagine if you just make eps 1-3 of Madoka available… Or stop simulcast of Level E at ep 3.
  12. Merchandise going away? I’m not sure personally, but I agree that it is limited. I agree that we do need more merchandise in the market. There’s a lot of meat on t his question but I don’t think Shawne wanted to go into it since Zac is leading (the witness) too much :(
  13. Stockout problem with manga is huge, and he is right. By that he gives the example of trying to buy a whole series, but can’t since certain volumes are out of stock and RS can’t fulfill it or fulfill it on time. It turns away wanting buyers. And it is up to the publisher to fix this. I’d guess that it is the system that is broken, but what do I know? This problem needs a lot more exposure because it is probably the best way to state the same problem people complain about when companies drop the ball for their bottom line. It’s a negative feedback loop when you leave money on the table like this.
  14. [color="lime"]The big picture is, well, one I can believe in. Quit blaming us for your own ineptitude, R1 industry guys. He states this at around the 59 minute mark, but it’s not in ANN’s show notes. It’s key.[/color]
  15. Borderpolcaypse is, well, not my field of interest but what Shawne said. It does affect me; I spend some money at Borders. Then again I have Amazon Prime… And RightStuf.
  16. There will be 3 Utena sets! It will be released for the collector minded. Good thing we don’t have dates yet for those of us saving up dough.
  17. “We definitely have seen new products come out.” I like how he sneaks it in there while playing it down. But it’s serious business if I read this correctly, to go back to point #1.
  18. Copyright clearance is frustrating, just like Japan!
  19. Yes, Sora no woto has a great story. People who think it’s just moe are the cancer of the industry IMO.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 pm

So, I found this to be pretty refreshing.

Source
ANN wrote:Tatsuo Tanaka, an associate professor of economics at Keio University, posted a discussion paper titled "Do Illegal Copies of Movies Reduce the Revenue of Legal Products? The case of TV animation in Japan" last month. The paper details the research that Tanaka conducted on the effects that the video-sharing site YouTube and file-sharing program Winny had on DVD sales and rentals for television animation programs in Japan.

Tanaka was a faculty fellow in the Japanese government's Research Institute of Economy, Trade & Industry (RIETI), which hosts the paper. However, Tanaka emphasized that the paper expresses his own views and does not represent the views of RIETI.

Tanaka chose to study television animation programs because their episodes have a standard length, and the large number of programs made them a ideal subject for quantitative analysis. Out of 111 anime titles listed, 105 such as Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Major, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Soul Eater, Vampire Knight, To Love-Ru, Macross Frontier, and Kodomo no Jikan were shared on Winny. 58 of them were also on YouTube.

According to Tanaka's findings, YouTube views increased DVD sales, while Winny downloads decreased DVD rentals. A 1% increase in YouTube views correlated with a 0.25% increase in DVD sales. In particular, Tanaka said that the effect was clearer for programs that had already stopped airing on television. An 1% increase in YouTube views also correlated with a 0.08% increase in DVD rentals, but this increase was statistically inconclusive.

A 1% increase in Winny downloads correlated with a statistically inconclusive 0.06% increase in DVD sales. However, an 1% increase in Winny downloads correlated with a 1.11% decrease in DVD rentals. According to Tanaka, these results indicate that Winny downloads are used as a substitute for DVD rentals, but not for DVD sales.

In his conclusions, Tanaka suggested that companies encourage online streaming similar to the YouTube model. He added that individual companies should use their own discretion on how to handle these issues instead of acting as a "cartel." Tanaka advocated that companies experiment through trial and error to find viable solutions, which cannot be done if they just resort to copyright protection organizations to strengthen copyrights.

Also: what anime series that has come out in the last 2-3 years is $60 (excluding collectors edition stuffs)? Maybe in 2003, but... I think the typical price point these days is 30-40 bucks for an entire TV series w/ budget priced sets for 20-25 dollars being released all the time.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:34 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1456535) wrote:
Also: what anime series that has come out in the last 2-3 years is $60 (excluding collectors edition stuffs)? Maybe in 2003, but... I think the typical price point these days is 30-40 bucks for an entire TV series w/ budget priced sets for 20-25 dollars being released all the time.

Uh, it depends on what series you're trying to buy. Blu-rays are still pretty expensive even though Blu-rays and DVDs are basically the same fricking thing (data on a plastic disc). Like, the list price for the Ouran Blu-ray set is 60 bucks, but Amazon is currently selling it for 45. If I want to buy, say, Zeta Gundam, unless I find it used or on sale, I gotta pay 40 bucks for each half-set. So it's 80 dollars for the whole series.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:38 pm

For an entire TV series? Really? Clannad was $60 per season. Durarara's first third is already over $40. FMA: Brotherhood is about $30/12 episodes, so that'd be $60 for 24-26 episodes. And that's just from the top sellers on RightStuf.

So basically, most shows.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 pm

OK, so I generalized.

I still think the price point argument is not a good one for the defense of piracy. Not saying that there are no good arguments for it, though.

As far as BDs go, I don't own a player, so I am unfamiliar w/ the prices. Perhaps a price hike for newish tech is to be expected?

Zeta and Brotherhood are long shows, so I think a higher price is justified. In the case of Brohood, $30 per 13 episodes isn't terrible, and, as for Zeta Gundam, $30 per 25 episodes (new from importcds) is a great deal.

You got me w/ DRRR. Aniplex of America is being a bit greedy, but I'm sure they will release a complete collection w/ a decent price fairly soon. Just b/c AoA prices things too high does not mean that prices are generally too high, though.

When was Clannad released? Currently, the prices for the sets seem fair...24 per season, 42 for the whole thing.

magey wrote:So basically, most shows.
Really. Based on three examples? I can do that. Sacred Blacksmith = $44, Eden of the East = $32, and Sengoku Basara = $35...heck I'll throw in another: Ghost Hound $45 (45 for the set, 20-30 for each season, depending on where you shop).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Sacred Blacksmith and Eden of the East and Sengoku Basara are all half the length of all the shows I mentioned. So the price point is still equivalent.

Clannad was $60 per season ($30 per half season) when I bought it like a year ago.
blkmage

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews