Let's Watch: Asura Cryin

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Let's Watch: Asura Cryin

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:26 pm

OK, since my Galaxy Railways idea didn't work, I went for plan B: Asura Cryin.
Here's the info:
Genre: Fantasy/Mecha/Action/Romance
Studio: Seven Arcs
Creator: Gakuto Mikumo
No. of Episodes: 13
Spoiler-free Summary: A semi-serious school action story revolving around the main protagonist, Tomoharu Natsume. He is haunted by his childhood friend, Misao Minakami, who became a ghost ever since he barely survived an airplane accident three years earlier. Tomoharu Natsume takes the opportunity to live on his own when he enters high school in his new place of residence, Meiou-tei, and starts enjoying a carefree high school life. His life changed when a beautiful girl named Kurosaki Shuri appears with a trunk which she claimed Tomoharu's brother, Naotaka Natsume, asked her to deliver to him. The presence of the trunk causes the appearance of Takatsuki Kanade, a girl dressed like a shrine maiden who is after the trunk. Tomoharu is in possession of the trunk, which reveals secrets about the world they live in.
If you want to watch, we start 12/3/10. Like I did with Kemono no Souja Erin, I will post summaries in spoiler boxes, along with thoughts.
Oh, and coming soon, a Let's Watch for Beast King Go-Lion, aka Voltron!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm up for watching!
Atria35

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:11 pm

I liked that show. n.n A few off color episodes, but over all a good one.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Do you have a link, rocklobster? I'm up for it. =) Sounds fun.
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 pm

I will join in as well; I know next to nothing about the show, but I figure that will make it fun. Anyways, I look forward to talking about the show w/ you all.

A link. Hey, there are two seasons on there! Will we watch both or just the first?

What is our schedule? I know the start date, but how many eps per week/day?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 am

It's once a week and we will watch all 26. When I watch an anime, I watch the whole thing.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 am

This sounds like a blast to me! :D I look forward to Friday.
MightiMidget

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm

OK, let's start this thing
Episode 1: Asura Machina
[spoiler]Summary: Three years after the plane crash, Tomoharu Natsume lives peacefully with the ghost of his childhood friend who disappeared in the same crash. However, the day before entering Rakurowa High School, he is met by a mysterious woman. Told not to hold on to it no matter what, Tomoharu is perplexed by the silver trunk she gives him. But things were already moving into action... That night, Tomoharu is attacked by a beautiful shrine maiden with inhuman beauty and power. Her target is the trunk...! Thoughts: The opening song was pretty good. It kinda reminded me of the opening song for Evangelion for some reason. Misao is cute for a ghost. And her voice is cute too! Apparently, only certain people (and the audience of course) can see her. I wonder how silly that's going to get. Tomoharu's friend was kind of funny. All in all, this was a good pilot because it established Tomoharu as an interesting character, gave us some insight into his amusing relationship with Misao, and left some threads open to keep us interested. In other words, it did everything a pilot is supposed to do: set things up and leave you wanting more. As for the ending song, I thought it was good. I like it when the ending song is done at a slow, haunting tone and contrasts the opening. I think this is definitely one I'll keep watching![/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:45 pm

Well, after watching the first ep, I think that the OP sounds very much like the OP for The World God Only Knows. I really wasn't sure what to think about it all- there appears to be 3 factions in this, and there was a machine, and.... yeah. I have no idea where this is going.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Since we have our own thread, I am jettisoning the spoiler tags.

I, too dig the OP and ED songs. The ED reminded me of Grandia II, which is always a good thing. The character designs are also good.

It's too early to tell how I feel about the show, though I did enjoy the first episode. There is a lot of potential here with the three opposing factions. Hopefully we will be privy to just what the heck is going on sooner rather than later.

Also: demons, mecha and ghosts! Party over here!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Actually, I think the more chaotic a pilot is, the better. A lot of my favorite shows had crazy pilots: Evangelion, Trigun, Rahxephon.
And is it just me, or was Misao just too cute?

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:23 am

Misao is adorable.

Initial reaction to Episode 1: ...say wha...?

Fortunately I was expecting to be utterly lost, but it looks like it could have some potential. And I like the MC so far.
MightiMidget

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

Hey, I saw Asura Cryin some time ago. It was...good, but the ending kinda made me sad, for obvious reason in which I won't spoil.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 am

You can still join in if you like. It doesn't have to be the first time you've seen it.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:25 am

Sure, I have to say it was worth watching. :)
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:59 am

Ep 2: “Destruction of the Future”
[spoiler]Without a clear understanding of the situation, Tomoharu becomes a handler of an Asura Machina. Taking a break from his life's new problems, Tomoharu goes to visit his landlord Shioizumi, a strange old man living in a room full of spirals. “I hope you can make the decision that's right for you.” Confused by the old man's words, Tomoharu bumps into Kanade, who happens to live at the shrine. Tomoharu seeks answers to his questions about Misao, Takatsuki, and the Asura Machina, but...
Thoughts: For a demon, Takatsuki sure is nice. Second episode, and I still can't figure out what's going on. Not that I'm complaining. And is it just me, or do the school uniforms have a slight military feel to them? Man, it sure was a surprise to see one of the attackers from ep 1 as a Student Council president! And he has a ghost too! Interesting! I'm a little suspicious of the Holy Guard. Just because they have a "good guy"-sounding name doesn't mean they are. The Wheel of Time's Children of Light certainly aren't 100%honorable. (more like Lawful Neutral) Crowning moment of awesome for Takatsuki: not only did she catch a bullet in flight, but she melted it! Awesome!
[/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 am

I am still trying to figure out what genre this is supposed to be beyond highschool and mecha. Romance? Action? Mystery? Also confused as to what's going on, though I'm putting great effort into NOT being lost. . .so handlers are at odds with demons and that maintains the balance in the world? That's what it sounds like...kind of reminds me of Fate/Stay Night ever so slightly.

@rock -- yes, that was cool. xD I like her. Also yes, the uniforms /do/ look military.
MightiMidget

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:07 am

Ep 3: The Shadow of Science (Note: I decided to put the section titles in bold to make the post easier to read.
[spoiler]SummaryMisao disappears fighting Reishiro's Asura Machina Hisui, and Kanade is held captive. Filled with rage, Tomoharu tries to call on Kurogane again. With the silver trunk in hand, Tomoharu goes to confront the First Student Council. He is stopped by Reishiro's ghost Aine. “Are you willing to hurt Misao to save a demon?â€

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:56 am

OK, Christmas delayed this post. Let's get back into the show!
Ep 4:“Thoughts with Nowhere to Go”
[spoiler]Summary:With Reishiro's Asura Machina out for repairs, the responsibility of finding and capturing Dobi Lake's mysterious monster falls on the Third Student Council. Despite the seriousness of their task, acting president of the Science Club Shuri turns the mission into a camping trip. Reishiro forbids Tomoharu from getting close to Kanade and has his younger sister Reiko keep watch over them, but Tomoharu and Kanade spend time together. Behind everything is the chaos created by another couple.
Thoughts: I'm a bit surprised that Misao actually doesn't mind being dead, it's a nice change of pace with the way ghosts are usually portrayed, meaning they usually wish they were still alive. And now I'm wondering what's so bad about using the Asuras, since Kanade doesn't want Tomoharu to use his Asura.[/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:11 am

Okay, thoughts on fourth episode- They managed to make a Summer Episode AND a Hot Springs episode in one. I don't think it added anything to the story. Yes, it showcased what happens when demons and people make contracts, but not much else.

It also raised a few logical questions, like -why is the student council president's sister there? Why was the student council president there? There was no logical reason for them to be following around or hanging around them, unless I missed something in the last three episodes. Yeah, sure, they are worried the main will make a contract, but even so this was a little odd. And why do they have multiple student councils? That HAS to be a beaurocratic nightmare for the students and schools when they want stuff done!
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Okay, so I am just barely following some plot in there somewhere. My theory however for episode 5:

[spoiler]Is that Misao's flickering is directly related to Natsume's strength, perhaps she shares his life force? Or is the personification of it?[/spoiler]

Answers would be appreciated, but hey.... :P
MightiMidget

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 am

Ep 5: “Intersecting Hearts and Bodies”
[spoiler] Days before his midterm exams, Tomoharu finds a wet and bloodied Shuri collapsed in front of his residence. Held tightly in her hand is another silver trunk. Trying to avoid the suspicious gaze of his neighbors, Tomoharu takes Shuri inside. When she awakes, Shuri is a different person, calling herself Yukari. Looking for information, Tomoharu and Misao pay a visit to the old church Shuri was living at, only to find newspaper articles of the crash three years earlier. At the church, Tomoharu and Misao run into a surprisingly handsome young woman...
Thoughts: The scene where Tomoharu was trying to revive Shuri was so funny! I'm guessing the crash might be linked to Shuri. Usually, when you see articles on a bulletin board in someone's house, it's linked to that person's past. In fact, I think she's the one who owns the trunk! Also, why does Misao keep flickering? Is the Asura Machina affecting her ability to stay in the world of the living? Man, the more I watch, the more questions I have. But I like when that happens. [/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Agreeing with MightiMidget on the relation between Misao and Tomoharu. My guess is that Misao's stregnth is connected to Tomoharu's. It wasn't until his health/stregnth went down that Misao started to flicker. And trying to work the Asura Machine when they're in a weakened state is bad news.

Shuri... Yukari... I suspect that there is a sister somewhere in the mix from that dream. Were they killed and then resurrected as two souls in one body? Or maybe she took her sister's name as an homage and has just remembered her own name.

And I still want to know why there are about 5 billion student councils in this school.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Ep 6: “Sacrifice Beyond the Darkness”
[spoiler]Shuri's memory is back, but Tomoharu is out with a cold. That doesn't stop former student council president and Kanto Student Union Guardian Dragoon Yo from coming after Shuri's stabilizer. Unable to hand over the stabilizer that will free a burial doll from its Asura Machina, Shuri and Kanade fight back. Armed with Shirogane's ability to cut through space, Yo is a formidable opponent. Trying to buy time until Tomoharu's recovery, Shuri holds Yo off. However, it seems the two share a personal history...
Thoughts: Why do they have to always put Tomaharu in awkward situations? Kanade was just awesome in this episode. Loved the crossbow thing in her arm. I'm suspecting Yo and Kanade were friends turned enemies. Oh, and Atria, looks like you may've been right about Shuri and Yukari! And now everyone can see Misao?[/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Ep 7: The Dream that Dispersed in the Heartless Sky
[spoiler]With the installation of the stabilizer, Misao becomes visible to everyone. Seeing the new Misao adapting well to life as an ordinary school girl, Tomoharu reflects on the past. At the same time, Yo and Shuri think back to the events leading up to the accident and the day their peaceful lives came to an end.
Thoughts: It was great to see how Shuri and Yukari got in the accident. This has to be one of the strangest cases of disassociative identity disorder I've ever seen. [/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 am

A couple questions. Some important, some not:

1) why are a bunch of little kids flying first class? (I understand Shuri, Yukari and Yo's flying first class, but...)
2) Okay, if [spoiler]Tomoharu[/spoiler] was on the plane what initially happened to him?

I admit I'm getting confused to the point of starting not to care anymore. Nothing seems to be progressing. I don't mind not knowing what's going on as long as stuff HAPPENS. But so far it's just a bunch of mysterious unexplained explanation.
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:01 am

MightiMidget (post: 1453550) wrote:I admit I'm getting confused to the point of starting not to care anymore. Nothing seems to be progressing. I don't mind not knowing what's going on as long as stuff HAPPENS. But so far it's just a bunch of mysterious unexplained explanation.

Sounds like DtB to me! (lols, j/k. At least they threw some answers in).

I've heard a lot of stuff is answered in the second season.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 am

Atria35 (post: 1453570) wrote:Sounds like DtB to me! (lols, j/k. At least they threw some answers in).

I've heard a lot of stuff is answered in the second season.

Lol. xD Yeah, yeah.

...okay. That's good to know at least.
MightiMidget

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 am

What's DtB stand for?
Ep 8:“The Youngest Daughter of the King of Misfortune”
[spoiler]A serial killer indiscriminately killing demons appears in Tomoharu's city. Fed up with the Takatsuki group's guards, Kanade turns to Tomoharu. At the same time, Shuri arrives with another visitor for Tomoharu. Entering Rakurowa High School as a foreign student is the ten year old child prodigy Ania Fortuna, youngest daughter of the Fortuna family of luck eaters. Tomoharu is left in charge of two young demon girls, but..
Thoughts: Ania sure is annoying. I never liked characters who can mess with your karma or luck. It's such a ridiculous ability and often an excuse for cheap jokes. This episode ended too soon for my taste.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 am

Whoops! I didn't put last time's ep in a spoiler box!
Ep 9: "The Impossible Taboo"
[spoiler]The demon hunter turns out to be a man controlling the opposing powers of demons and Asura Machina: the forbidden Asura Cryin'. In the face of such tremendous power, Reishiro reminds Tomoharu that he must not make a contract with Kanade. After discovering her missing sister Christina's involvement in the demon hunter's crimes, Ania sets out on a mission to uncover the truth. Who is behind the escalating attacks of the demon hunter? What does he want?
Thoughts: Hm, a new handler? Takaya seems like an interesting character. I'm also curious about Christina's connection. Ania kind of gained some sympathy from me in this episode, but I still have trouble liking her. I don't like brats that much (does anyone?). All in all, great episode. I love how this show keeps you guessing. We're four episodes away from wrapping up this season, and I still can't figure out what will happen next![/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews