Cussing

Talk about anything in here.

Cussing

Postby fermy6 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 am

Ok I'll admit that I throw in the occational swear word when I'm angry and any other situation where I can't control it (Its still wrong tho)......but like seriously dont you guys get irritated being around people who actually just cuss for nothing and dont care...I mean these people actually have like a cuss word in every sentence......I get sooo annoyed around people who just cuss for the sake of cussing....whenever im around people like that I jst feel like shouting or just telling them to shutup( a little hypocritical....I know)....But what do u guys think about this....can you handle being around people who just cuss for the fun of it
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Nami » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:16 am

No, I don't really like cussing. I don't like it when its used in anger either. (though unfortunately, I sometimes swear, I do try not to) I feel that its not polite and it doesn't honor God which is why I do my best not to do it. I don't like it when people swear just for the fun of it. Its not appropriate at any time.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Nanao » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:21 am

no. i can't stand that either. i used to cuss a lot more than i do now, but i found that it got to be such a habit i wasn't able to turn it off when around young members of my family, etc. naturally, they started to imitate it. now i really try not to do it as much as possible. unfortunately people seem to think that putting a cuss word in every sentence is going to impress people. it sound more impressive if they bought a deck of vocabulary cards instead.
Nanao

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 am

It doesn't bother me much, but that's probably because most of my friends cuss like sailors. I myself have a pretty big cursing problem, though I've been trying to tone it down. It also comes down to what some people consider curses. D***, h***, b**** and b****** have never really been curses to me, though I suppose they actually all are. Hopefully God can forgive my terribly foul mouth. I try to stay away from using the f-word in least, I honestly don't like using it and I cringe when I hear others use it, so yeah...Lol.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ScalpelFactory » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am

I'm very sensitive to cussing, I used to come home from high school in a terrible mood just from hearing my classmates use it. You can imagine how sick I felt after being in the same room when the Boondock Saints was playing! ^_^;;;

Since then, I've picked up some friends who swear occasionally and I do too, when I'm frustrated. It's not that big of a deal to me now, but I wouldn't like to be around someone who does it constantly for no reason.
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 am

EDIT - Never mind. Mods can delete this post.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 am

I don't like it when people abuse swearing, which, to me, would entail using a swear word in every sentence, all the time. But swearing in moderation doesn't really bother me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ich1990 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

Cursing doesn't bother me at all, I hear so much of it every day that any possible shock value it may have had has long since been squandered. That being said, I don't personally swear because it does bother a lot of people and it also typecasts the "swearer" into certain socio-economic classes that aren't always the most flattering or advantageous.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:23 am

Cursing in general doesn't bother me- I do it occasionally, and my brother swears a decent amount- but abusing it does.
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 am

Nine times out of ten, cursing doesn't bother me. I don't really do it myself, and I have no real urge to, either, so hearing it doesn't really offend me that much. However, it really does bother me when people use Jesus's name in vain, especially when it's used in a super-offensive way (I have one friend who uses it very freely in a multitude of offensive manners that I will not hint towards here, but let's just say it takes a lot to really offend me, and this does). But yeah, that's the only thing that really bothers me, and unfortunately I know way too many people who say it too often. XD;

Also I just find cursing every other word largely unnecessary. Every once in a while (and sometimes for comedic effect) is fine by me, but if you're shouting the f-word five times a sentence, it's just obnoxious. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 am

I'll swear casually on occasion, but only around people who also swear themselves or are comfortable with it, though I make it a point to avoid using the Lord's name in vain. I also never swear in front of children or anyone I know who is offended by it, because that's just keeping it classy.

That aside though, I swear like crazy when I'm either (1) angry or (2) frightened.

If you ever watch a horror movie with me, I'm sorry.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:35 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1449317) wrote:I'll swear casually on occasion, but only around people who also swear themselves or are comfortable with it, though I make it a point to avoid using the Lord's name in vain. I also never swear in front of children or anyone I know who is offended by it, because that's just keeping it classy.

That aside though, I swear like crazy when I'm either (1) angry or (2) frightened.

If you ever watch a horror movie with me, I'm sorry.

I'm the same way. Don't watch a horror/suspense movie with me. lol

Cursing doesn't really offend me. I do a fair amount myself, though I avoid cursing in front of children or people who would be offended by it. Though it does still slip out at times (like once I was driving and a friend was my passenger and a car nearly hit us.) I also tend to swear out of frustration.

But I do not use the Lord's name in vain. And I try my darndest to avoid the f-word because I find it especially distasteful.

To me, though, words like the b**** or b****** word aren't cursing if used in the right context (like at a dog show or when actually referring to an illegitimate child.)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:37 am

Sheenar (post: 1449320) wrote:To me, though, words like the b**** or b****** word aren't cursing if used in the right context (like at a dog show or when actually referring to an illegitimate child.)

Same here- especuially since when reading classic plays like Shakespeare, it's a 90% chance it's being used with the right context! And since I love those plays, I'm very much not offended by it.
Atria35

Postby TGJesusfreak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm

I greatly dislike cursing. But I'm not extremly bothered by it. I just let my friends know that I hate it when they curse around me and tell them not to. I think Cursing can also be taken as a little black and white.

To me any curse word is a word that is universally accepted as crude, vulgar, and/or inappropriate. Otherwise people could take the use of the name of Jesus as a curse word XD. But yeah, I just think that the S word, F word, 5 letter B word (only in a particular context), and the D word* are Curses.

As far as the A word and H word are concerned I dont think they are that bad. I mean I can be a real A** sometimes. however A**hole is just crude and mean. Hell isnt too bad for me to hear either. doesnt bug me much.

*the D word is a shortened version of "God D***" and as we know only God can **** something. So to me its just a shortening of the Lord's name in vain. =/ But that's prolly just me being my strange opinionated self.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Hm...out of curiousity, then, does the Bible itself say whether or not 'cussing' is wrong? I'm aware that 'cursing' is considered to be a sin, but that is a running debate amongst my friends, as to whether it means swearing or the declaration of an actual curse.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Not to start an argument, but how is the d word just a shortened version of God d***? People use the d word without adding God all the time. It's something I'm guilty of unfortnatly, among many other curses. I'm also guilty of taking God's and Jesus' names in vain as is my mother. We try really hard to not to, but we're so used to saying it, it still slips out sometimes. I always apologize to God when it does slip out or I think it or something. Meanwhile, I don't curse around children or people who will be offended either, hard convincing my friends to do the same most of the time though.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:16 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer (post: 1449309)"]Nine times out of ten, cursing doesn't bother me. I don't really do it myself, and I have no real urge to, either, so hearing it doesn't really offend me that much. However, it really does bother me when people use Jesus's name in vain, especially when it's used in a super-offensive way (I have one friend who uses it very freely in a multitude of offensive manners that I will not hint towards here, but let's just say it takes a lot to really offend me, and this does). But yeah, that's the only thing that really bothers me, and unfortunately I know way too many people who say it too often. XD]

That's pretty much the same case with me. Cussing used to bother me quite a lot, but as I got older and into college, I kind of got used to it... Not that I do it myself, but because the older I get, the more I realize that most people in the world probably cuss. I had one professor who'd probably say at least 3 swear words per class. It doesn't really bother me unless it's once every other word, and little things such as the d-word hardly even phase me anymore.

I can also concur with the other part of that statement. The Lord's name being taken in vain actually bothers me quite a bit more than cursing does. I feel like the Lord's name is precious and holy, and so I treat it as such... I think I know what she's talking about as far as what her friend says (but I won't hint at what it is either), and I'll say that that word bothers me more than anything else. One use of it can wreck a whole movie for me. I don't necessarily think it's wrong to say, but I don't even like saying "holy (whatever)", because I don't really like referring to anything but God as "holy".
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Destroyer2000 (post: 1449328) wrote:Hm...out of curiousity, then, does the Bible itself say whether or not 'cussing' is wrong? I'm aware that 'cursing' is considered to be a sin, but that is a running debate amongst my friends, as to whether it means swearing or the declaration of an actual curse.

As far as I'm aware, "cussing" and "cursing" are the same thing; "cuss" is just the shortened/slang term that came from using "curse." So it pretty much means the same thing. XD Where the morality of it is concerned, I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion on CAA recently (several times), but the short version (at least of how I see it) is that language is relative to who you are and the culture you live in, and the real sin behind cursing is a matter of the heart. In other words, saying "I hate you" to someone (or, as the Bible puts it, calling your brother a fool) is just as bad as saying "**** you" or some variant thereof. This is why many people don't have a problem saying "that movie was ****ing awesome" around friends or people who don't mind hearing curse words, because there's no ill intent in that towards another person. Naturally, opinions on this differ, as some are not comfortable hearing or using the words themselves at all, but there's the cliff notes on this topic for your convenience. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby armeck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Haven't we had a thread like this before? also, i cuss, a lot, i have absoutely no shame in it, though i am trying to slow down. i do think cussing at someone is bad (cursing) i often wont cuss for a long time the blurt out cuss words to make people laugh... i guess that might be a bad thing... idk

TGJesusfreak (post: 1449327) wrote:
*the D word is a shortened version of "God D***"

not always. only sometimes
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TGJesusfreak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Destroyer2000 (post: 1449328) wrote:Hm...out of curiousity, then, does the Bible itself say whether or not 'cussing' is wrong? I'm aware that 'cursing' is considered to be a sin, but that is a running debate amongst my friends, as to whether it means swearing or the declaration of an actual curse.

How about I just post some bible verses and let you decide for yourself? that seems like it wont start to much of a debate... I hope >.>

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Colossians 3:8
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Exodus 20:7
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Proverbs 13:3
Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life]Not to start an argument, but how is the d word just a shortened version of God d***?[/QUOTE]
not always. only sometimes

I know guys. I was just saying how I saw it and why I didnt like to day it. My reasoning is more for myself. You dont have to listen to me XD. those are just my reasons.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Reading those bible passaged always makes me fall into dispair. xD I'm so bad with cursing and sometimes yelling at people when they make me angry. I can so mean. :bang:

TopazRaven

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Now that the discussion has somewhat shifted to the morality of cursing as such, I will offer up a thought.[quote="TGJesusfreak (post: 1449337)"]Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Colossians 3:8
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Exodus 20:7
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Proverbs 13:3
Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life]To be fair, these verses are about the intention behind what you say, rather than words themselves. If I were to call someone a jerk or garbage with anger in my heart, I'd be in violation of Col 3:8 and Eph 4:29; however, say I stub my toe and shout "S***!" Or, how about doing the same thing when my friend jumps out of the bushes and scares me? Surely that is not is violation of the above scriptures?

Say my brother and I are on the same soccer team, and he scores our winning goal in the last minute of a game. What if I clap my brother on the back and, with a spirit of jubilation exclaim, "H*** of a goal!" or "That was a d*** good shot!" I use "curse" words but I have no anger or malice in my heart (quite the opposite in fact), nor am I tearing anyone down nor taking the Lord's name in vain.

Now, if I cause someone to stumble, that is another matter...but what if I don't?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby armeck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm

[quote="TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1449339)"]Now that the discussion has somewhat shifted to the morality of cursing as such, I will offer up a thought.To be fair, these verses are about the intention behind what you say, rather than words themselves. If I were to call someone a jerk or garbage with anger in my heart, I'd be in violation of Col 3:8 and Eph 4:29]

exactly my opinion
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm

[quote="TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1449339)"]Now that the discussion has somewhat shifted to the morality of cursing as such, I will offer up a thought.To be fair, these verses are about the intention behind what you say, rather than words themselves. If I were to call someone a jerk or garbage with anger in my heart, I'd be in violation of Col 3:8 and Eph 4:29]

This is essentially what I was trying to say up there, only better and more clearly stated. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Man I feel like we had a thread exactly like this a while ago.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 pm

Nate (post: 1449349) wrote:Man I feel like we had a thread exactly like this a while ago.

XD Yeah, that's because we did. The OP in this thread was asking a slightly different question, so I'd kind of rather we didn't fall back into the same pattern that this linked thread took only a few months ago. Not that I will be terribly upset if we do, but for members who haven't seen this conversation before, feel free to look at the thread I linked for further opinions on the morality issue of cursing before re-starting the same old conversation here. XD That's more of a friendly suggestion than an official request, but I think this thread could benefit from going in a different direction than the one we've already gone through countless times. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 pm

My opinions have not changed since that thread. So I didn't read any posts in this one. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I admit that I'm starting to cuss a little... It's not exactly the route that I want to go...and what is annoying is my friends who DO cuss are like ready to throw me a party just for saying something that I shouldn't have.

I need to work on that, XD I don't really like that I use a word like that. Sometimes I'm just quoting a movie, or something, and others is when I'm genuinely upset.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I don't curse myself, but it doesn't bother me that much when others do. My feeling about why I don't do it mostly comes from upbringing. I think it shows a sign of sophistication if you don't curse heavily.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

If I really think about what I mean when I swear, it makes me not want to. When you literally apply a curse to something, whether another human being, or even a rock in your shoe, it's either disgusting or downright foolish. If you think about it, condemning a pebble to an eternity in hell is really stupid.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Next

Return to General