How To Choose A Bible

Talk about anything in here.

How To Choose A Bible

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:44 pm

(I didn't see a thread like this when I searched, but please forgive me if I overlooked it)

Okay! So, I've been thinking that I really need a new Bible. The only one we have in my house is the giant KJV version family bible. While it's nice, it's not practical for me- either linguistically or in terms of reading/studying on my own, since I can't mark up things or cross-reference.

So how do I go about choosing a Bible? What resources out there can help me?
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:48 pm

The NIV is a pretty good version. If you have a Borders near you they have a whole section of different bibles you can buy. That's about as much advice as I can give though. All my bibles where free! I got my NIV bible from church like 7 years ago, my uncle lent me his TEV bible (though that's a Catholic bible) and I have two mini bibles I got from a fair, though all they include is the book of Pslams.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm

I have heard great things about other versions of the bible, like the English Standard Version (ESV) and the New Living Translation (NLT).

Judging by your age, I'd say you are probably wanting a College Student Study Bible. As I'm sure you are either in college, or just graduated or of the age. These bibles are pretty cool, and can answer a lot of questions that you may have.

I have a couple NIV translations as well as a tiny NLT. I mostly use my small NIV translation because it's small enough to carry around. If that's what you're looking for book stores have smaller bibles you can carry around too.

Hope that helps a little bit. XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks, Topaz and Kitsume! Yeah, I don't have anyplace to get free Bibles- go figure!

But yes, I was thinking about a Study Bible, since that would have references and whatnot that would come in handy for me.

I will be looking into these different versions- can anyone give more information about them?

And would it be worth it to eventually have two or three different versions? Because I was thinking it would also be worth it to have a Catholic Bible for comparison and those extra books.
Atria35

Postby Okami » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Pardon if my type is all wonky, I'm posting from my phone.

I know at my college we considered the TNIV, NASB, and the NRSV to be the most literal of translations. Currently, the TNIV has been updated to the NIV 2010 and NASB to the HCS (Holman Christian Standard).

NLT is my personal favorite as a paraphrase (or I should say translation of a paraphrase) but my professors have specified that it's not a very reliable study aid as compared to the above.

For study, I have an NIV archaeological study Bible and a NASB Study Bible where for personal reading I have my NLT and NLT Life Application Study Bible and New Testament of The Message. I also have a KJV just because I find the language beautiful and fascinating....just not as an everyday tool.

I also like the language of the ESV, but I can't afford any new Bibles with the ones I've already got lol :P
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 pm

So what aare the benefits of a literal bible over one that translates the idea? Or vice-versa?

And what do you like about the Archealogical one? (Sorry- I know typing on a phone can be a pain!)
Atria35

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:32 pm

I have a skinny NKJV, which I personally prefer over KJV. It keeps the structure of the KJV and is easier and more straightforward in its narrative. It also has footnotes :).

If you have a BlackBerry, you can download a free Bible application that lets you read passages from a list of different versions. I use it for comparative purposes or when I don't have my Bible on me :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Okami » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Atria35 (post: 1449069) wrote:So what aare the benefits of a literal bible over one that translates the idea? Or vice-versa?

And what do you like about the Archealogical one? (Sorry- I know typing on a phone can be a pain!)

More literal translations are closer to the original languages, Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek. Whereas a paraphrase is closer to modern-day language. I'm not the greatest at details when I don't have my resources around me. :P

The Archaelogical is interesting because it goes into things that they've been finding from Biblical times and things about ancient Mesopotamia and Rome and such.

Between my Archealogical, Life Application, and regular Study I would say I like my regular study Bible the most. It's the only one of the few I own that I write or highlight in. I use it for my schoolwork (it's my required Bible for school) and also my personal study. I find that intertwining the two helps me grow the most in my faith. :)

they wanted those of us with the NASB to upgrade to the HCS, I was like...no thank you, I spent $90 on this Bible for the bonded leather, indexed tabs, and name personalization. (on top of the $70 I'd spent a semester before for the Archaelogical, they then decided to have required Bibles...thanks Bible college lol)

It's not a problem for me to type, since I have a Blackberry...it just takes a little while longer than it would for my computer. Darn tiny buttons. -shakefist- :P
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm

I think the NIV seems to be the most popular. I've used it a lot, and I think it's a good version. I personally prefer New King James, though.

Even though the King James version isn't necessarily *exactly* like the original (like, with translations - if what I heard is true, sometimes there really isn't an English equivalent for particular Greek/Hebrew words, so they make due), it's pretty much the closest. I would *imagine* that New King James would be second closest, since it took the KJV and made the language a little more modern (so it's not all like Shakespeare translated it). But, that's just my own personal preference, and I don't really have an issue with most translations of the Bible I've seen.

I like NKJV best, and NIV second best.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:Even though the King James version isn't necessarily *exactly* like the original, it's pretty much the closest.

Not true. The ESV and NASB are more literal translations than KJV from what I've read.

I mostly use the NIV for reference, though I do have a NRSV lying around my room somewhere. It's usually easier to go on like Bible Gateway though than pull out an actual physical book, which is why I'm not sure where my Bible is. XP

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Nate (post: 1449084) wrote:Not true. The ESV and NASB are more literal translations than KJV from what I've read.

I mostly use the NIV for reference, though I do have a NRSV lying around my room somewhere. It's usually easier to go on like Bible Gateway though than pull out an actual physical book, which is why I'm not sure where my Bible is. XP

Oh really? I've never heard that, but I don't know much about those versions. So you could be right. What do they stand for again? I know I've heard of them but I forgot.

And yeah, I always go on Bible Gateway. XD
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 pm

NASB and NIV for me. Together, these two are the closest to an accurate translation that you can get, as far as I know. The NASB is a more literal translation, and the NIV is a more thought-for-thought translation.

Though when I am really trying to dig into a Biblical mystery, I often look through a large mix of translations, concordances, and wikipedia articles to help with historical context.

Clearly it can take me awhile to find an answer I am really satisfied with. :lol:
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm

I have an NIV Study Bible. I like the explanatory footnotes and other bits in between Books. I also have a Bible Commentary and a NT Message Bible, which I occasionally use for further clarification/reference.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Nanao » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:19 pm

i personally use the Message bible. but it's more for personal reading than study. if you want to cross reference and do a lot of in depth study, a more literal translation is probably a better way to go. my personal favourites are the NASB and the ESV. i would go look around stores and compare the bibles you find to see what you like. friends are a good resource also. one thing i've found is that it's a good idea to pick up and handle a bible before you buy it. open it up. see how things are formatted, where and how the cross references are printed, etc.
Nanao

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1449088) wrote:Though when I am really trying to dig into a Biblical mystery, I often look through a large mix of translations, concordances, and wikipedia articles to help with historical context.

Clearly it can take me awhile to find an answer I am really satisfied with. :lol:

Yeah - I can totally relate to that. :lol: I've spent quite a bit of time analyzing just one passage, because I wanted to get as much of an idea of the meaning I can get when studying.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1449075) wrote:If you have a BlackBerry, you can download a free Bible application that lets you read passages from a list of different versions. I use it for comparative purposes or when I don't have my Bible on me :).

Unfortunately, I have no blackberry or other device that would allow those downloads or applications :sweat:

Wow, this is a lot of information and suggestions! :) I will definitely be reading up and looking at them, and definitely the most important part is to actually hold one and see how I like how it reads/looks/translates!

*I had considered just using Bible Gateway, but looking at screens for long times starins my eyes- and when I read, I like to read for hours at a time.

But thanks so much! This will help a lot!
Atria35

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:35 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:What do they stand for again?

ESV is English Standard Version, and the NASB is the New American Standard Bible.
risa wrote:i personally use the Message bible. but it's more for personal reading than study.

Yeah, The Message is a great translation, but it's definitely for better use as a "Read the Bible from cover to cover" thing than it is a "do research and study" thing.

Nate

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Nate (post: 1449094) wrote:ESV is English Standard Version, and the NASB is the New American Standard Bible.

Yeah, The Message is a great translation, but it's definitely for better use as a "Read the Bible from cover to cover" thing than it is a "do research and study" thing.

1. Thanks!

2. Yeah, I've heard the same thing about The Message. That's typically why I don't read it. It's not that I think it's wrong to read it or anything like that, I'm just not one for wanting to "read the Bible from cover to cover." I'd rather go slowly to make sure I can really absorb as much as I can, which is why I typically stick to more study-friendly translations... But that's just my preference.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Nate (post: 1449084) wrote:Not true. The ESV and NASB are more literal translations than KJV from what I've read.

Expanding on this, one of the original versions of the KJV dates around 1611, and there have been more than 400 years of archelogical discoveries, including recovered texts in greek, latin, and hebrew, to compare against for the newer translations of the Bible.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Ella Edric » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:44 pm

If I were you I'd get a NIV study Bible.My brother has one that I borrow every once in a while. Its very good for studying(thus the title, study Bible. XD). Or you could try "The message" Bible. Which is basically a modernized and easier to understand version. :) It's translated in a way that's less complicated and more like reading an average book. ;)

That's just my insight. ^^
Ella Edric

Postby J.D3 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:59 pm

I have a NIV archeological study Bible that I'm thoroughly enjoying at the moment, as it contains loads of cultural referances, footnotes and maps, but it's unfortunately a bit pricey I think :S
J.D3

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I have to say, those archeological ones look fascinating! But yes, pricey. I think that will be on my birthday wish list for this year :)

And again, I will definitely look into the ones suggested. I think that a study Bible will be more my pace, even though the Message Bible did look interesting.

Thanks, guys! And you help has been much appreciated!
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 pm

I definitely recommend the Message translation. It's a pretty awesome translation in my opinion, and makes the verses come to life. The language is a bit more modernized, so it's easier to read and understand. :) If you'd like to hear a sample, a certain voice actor actually has his recording of The Gospel of John (the Message version) on a certain site of his. It's free for download LEGALLY on the following link.
http://risemboolrangers.com/gospeljohn.html
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:40 pm

I use a KJV, but I also like the NKJV. My pastors told me that the Old fashion words in the KJV give you a better idea of singulars and plurals. (Like, the difference between thou and you- I think "thou" is a plural while "you" is singular- or is it the other way...)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 pm

"Thou" is singular. "Ye" is plural.

Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Nate (post: 1449227) wrote:"Thou" is singular. "Ye" is plural.

Oh, okay. lol
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 pm

I do agree that KJV gives a better feeling of plurals and singulars since in modern English you're pretty much restricted to "you all" or "all of you" since I don't think "y'all" would work in the Bible.

Still there's weird word choices in the KJV I don't like. When it goes on and on about "God has the strength of a unicorn" and all I can think of is like...Robot Unicorn Attack and God singing "HARMONY HARMONY OH LOVE" and then it just gets weird. I realize "unicorn" is actually more literal of a translation of the original word but like...just use "ox." "Strong as an ox" sounds way better.

Nate

Postby Tamachan319 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Ella Edric (post: 1449136) wrote:If I were you I'd get a NIV study Bible.My brother has one that I borrow every once in a while. Its very good for studying(thus the title, study Bible. XD).. ^^

I double the recommendation! I received a NIV study Bible for my birthday a few years back, and I love it (hence the fact the binding is showing some wear :sniffle:) !
Hmmm... also, when looking for a new Bible, read some of it first- like your favorite passages, etc. Something that's more similar to what you know might be best (at least in my experience). I prefer my NIV to my NASB, because it's what I've memorized the most out of and am most familiar with. NASB is too wordy !) for my tastes, but my friend likes it more than the NIV. It depends on the person, I guess. :D I do have to use NASB for school, though, but when I come against something I know well, it's a little weird to see it SO different.
Oh, and what are some people's opinions on the NKJV Bible? I'm thinking about getting one at some point.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Nate (post: 1449234) wrote:I do agree that KJV gives a better feeling of plurals and singulars since in modern English you're pretty much restricted to "you all" or "all of you" since I don't think "y'all" would work in the Bible.

Still there's weird word choices in the KJV I don't like. When it goes on and on about "God has the strength of a unicorn" and all I can think of is like...Robot Unicorn Attack and God singing "HARMONY HARMONY OH LOVE" and then it just gets weird. I realize "unicorn" is actually more literal of a translation of the original word but like...just use "ox." "Strong as an ox" sounds way better.

Heh, I've never noticed the unicorn thing before. Well, it probably wasn't a dainty horse with a horn on its head then.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1449240) wrote:Heh, I've never noticed the unicorn thing before. Well, it probably wasn't a dainty horse with a horn on its head then.

Yeah, the form of a unicorn has pretty much changed over time... I'm pretty sure they were originally viewed closer to powerful oxen or goats with horns instead of the sparkling and frilly sort of unicorns you'd see from My Little Pony. XD
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Next

Return to General