Okay guys, question.

Talk about anything in here.

Okay guys, question.

Postby Sparx00 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like almost every thread in the General section becomes some kind of debate? (As in it becomes discussed way too much since people have so many different points of views on the subject?)
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby MxCake » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:31 pm

is that a bad thing? if its civil then i dont see a problem lol but hey this might just turn out to be one big debate as well :p
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Well, people have different opinions, and they are bound to share them. I don't really see anything wrong with that, but I do think that things would be rather boring if everyone agreed on everything. As long as it stays civil, I think it's a good thing.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1448311) wrote:Well, people have different opinions, and they are bound to share them. I don't really see anything wrong with that, but I do think that things would be rather boring if everyone agreed on everything. As long as it stays civil, I think it's a good thing.

This was pretty much what I was about to say. I think conversations in general are ways of sharing opinions, and since everybody has a different opinion, some degree of debate is unavoidable. But at the same time, civil debate is typically a good thing, as it gives one insight to another person's opinion. It all depends on how one looks at it and how the people involved in the conversation/debate are sharing their thoughts.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:45 pm

If I can pose a different question, what's the point of a forum if everyone only posts to say "I agree"? XD People don't have to agree on every subject, and I find that discussion and civil exchange of ideas and debate are healthy things to have. Disagreeing with one another while trying to understand the other's viewpoints on different subjects, regardless of the topic, are ways that help us to grow both mentally and spiritually (if you're referring to theology discussions). Also, I think it's good to learn about what other people think; it gets us out of our own little worlds and shows us that people do have different ideas from what we're used to. XD

So no, while I don't think every thread in General has turned into a huge discussion or debate (even though the General forum is meant for "general discussion"), I also don't think it would be a bad thing if it had. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby PrincessZelda » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:58 pm

I think this is becoming a debate.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:58 pm

PrincessZelda (post: 1448317) wrote:I think this is becoming a debate.

No it isn't. D:<
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:33 pm

LOL I HATE DEBATES I'M LOCKING THIS THREAD

Just kidding. More seriously, I think it's just a phase we're going through. No need to worry.
Midori

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:45 pm

As the second speaker on the negative side, I would argue against any claims that every thread is turning into a debate. The Oxford Dictionary defines debate as "an informal and spirited but generally civil discussion of opposing views". Clearly, ladies and gentlemen, this is not the case.....
Oh.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Furen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Warrior4Christ (post: 1448327) wrote:Clearly, ladies and gentlemen, this is not the case.....
Oh.

No I'm sorry you're wrong, it's "X" not "Oh"
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1448313) wrote:If I can pose a different question, what's the point of a forum if everyone only posts to say "I agree"? XD People don't have to agree on every subject, and I find that discussion and civil exchange of ideas and debate are healthy things to have. Disagreeing with one another while trying to understand the other's viewpoints on different subjects, regardless of the topic, are ways that help us to grow both mentally and spiritually (if you're referring to theology discussions). Also, I think it's good to learn about what other people think]is meant[/I] for "general discussion"), I also don't think it would be a bad thing if it had. XD

I disagree with this because I'm also agreeing with you.

At any rate, no, it's not just you, Sparx. Many of the threads in General are turning into debates because they can and most people, Christian or not, enjoy sharing their opinion and trying to convince others they are correct. More so recently, but I suppose it may be a phase, like Midori said.
goldenspines

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1448313) wrote:If I can pose a different question, what's the point of a forum if everyone only posts to say "I agree"? XD People don't have to agree on every subject, and I find that discussion and civil exchange of ideas and debate are healthy things to have. Disagreeing with one another while trying to understand the other's viewpoints on different subjects, regardless of the topic, are ways that help us to grow both mentally and spiritually (if you're referring to theology discussions). Also, I think it's good to learn about what other people think]is meant[/i] for "general discussion"), I also don't think it would be a bad thing if it had. XD
I agree. Having an HONEST sitdown and discussion is what helps everyone grow. :) I mean, its better than living in your own contrived world of ideas. "Your faith shall be tested through fire" as the bible says. sometime you have to get up and walk into the fires of opinion and test it.
y'know?
[SIZE="3"][color="MediumTurquoise"][color="DarkOrange"]EllaEdric's and I's collaberative youtube music channel[/color][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][color="Navy"]TG's (me) youtube channel[/color][/SIZE]

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]"For we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do."[/color] Ephesians 2:10
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Join MOES today!
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:10 pm

What fun would a thread be without some debate? Isn't that why we make threads? So we can hear the beliefs and opinnions of others?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:35 pm

I wonder why some people always equate civil discussion with flaming or fruitless arguing. They're very different things.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Warrior4Christ (post: 1448327) wrote:As the second speaker on the negative side, I would argue against any claims that every thread is turning into a debate. The Oxford Dictionary defines debate as "an informal and spirited but generally civil discussion of opposing views". Clearly, ladies and gentlemen, this is not the case.....
Oh.

"This is an argument." "No, it isn't."
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1448353) wrote:I wonder why some people always equate civil discussion with flaming or fruitless arguing. They're very different things.

I'm honestly not sure, but it's quite common. I think it's possibly because a lot of times, the way things are interpreted over the Internet are different than the way people intend to mean them. Without being able to hear tone of voice or see body language, sometimes the things somebody posts can be misinterpreted. I remember one time, some kid from school and I had a conversation on a messenger that went something like this...

Him: You're STILL on?! (NOTE: It was late at night when he IM'd me.)
Me: Yeah I'm still on.
Him: Okay sorry you don't have to yell...
Me: ...Umm... I wasn't yelling?
Him: Sure you weren't.

So sometimes, people just don't read things the way the original poster intended his/her message to be taken... And then there are those who take offense to somebody having a different opinion than their own, but that's another story entirely. XD
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:24 pm

That's a good point, it's probably also a cultural thing.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby MxCake » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 pm

with what mysngoeshere56 said about people just not reading what the message was intending is probably the biggest negative thing about the texting and Iming era is theirs really no emotion or body language so its probably easier to get hostel but that's a little off topic sorry T.T
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Sparx00 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm

I gotta say, this thread has brought some interesting results. 0.0

Lotsa good stuff in here yup.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:20 pm

MXCake, I don't think I understand a word you just said.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:24 pm

MxCake (post: 1448407) wrote:with what mysngoeshere56 said about people just not reading what the message was intending is probably the biggest negative thing about the texting and Iming era is theirs really no emotion or body language so its probably easier to get hostel but that's a little off topic sorry T.T

Yeah, I think that's likely why emoticons/smilies were created. So that way there would be *some* emotion in texts/IM's.

:lol: :grin: :?: :angel: :hug: :bang: :red:
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:29 pm

It's not a debate untill somebody gets hurt.

Oh, and then there's the classic: We started a debate over in General and a hockey game broke out. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:34 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:Without being able to hear tone of voice or see body language, sometimes the things somebody posts can be misinterpreted.
This is why we should all have Asperger Syndrome.
Midori

Return to General