Christmas Traditions!

Talk about anything in here.

Christmas Traditions!

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 am

What are your Christmas Traditions? Here is mine: Every year, we go to my Momma's house and have Christmas Dinner. Then we go home and open our own presents and sing carols.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:17 am

Well, up until my aunt and uncle became snowbirds last year our traditions were to go to a movie on Xmas eve, go out for dinner (usually pizza, but as we grew older we preferred to just head home, put a frozen pizza in the oven, heat up hot chocolate and open presents), and then on Xmas pack up for the 2-hour drive to my aunt and uncle's house and have Xmas dinner there.

We're still in the process of making new traditions since we can't go to my aunt and uncle's on Xmas now. Which feels really wierd since we did it for the first 20 years of my life.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Well we used to have an Advent wreath when I was younger, with the three purple (plus one pink) candles. The task of lighting the candle before dinner every night was typically given to one of the kids. Naturally, because my siblings and I were kids, we fought over who'd get to light the match. Some years, Mom would just give each of the [then] four of us one whole week to light the candles. (And of course, there was haggling over who got to light on the weeks where there would be the most lighting to be done.) Some years, the wreath got thrown out. It's completely gone now, and I'm sure the lack of having a church to go to didn't help, but I hope we manage to return to it sometime.

Christmas Eve, Mom makes a mushroom soup and perogis. It's a Slovak tradition from Mom's side. We also have these thin colored wafers with honey. I forget what they're called, and if it's a Slovak thing. XD

Christmas day, people tend to get up early enough so they don't sleep away too much of the morning but late enough that they don't get in trouble. And basically everyone kills the day. In years past we'd go to a Christmas service, but not this year.

Also, being homeschooled, we tend to get a week off from schoolwork. That tradition is also awesome. :3
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 pm

At some point during the week or so before Christmas day, my family goes for an after-dark drive around town to see the lights and decorations on houses.

My personal traditions include watching MST3K's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1445840) wrote:At some point during the week or so before Christmas day, my family goes for an after-dark drive around town to see the lights and decorations on houses.

My husband and I do this every year. It's one of the only traditions we have.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Furen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:01 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1445833) wrote: We also have these thin colored wafers with honey.

Like baklava? They aren't usually with wafers, but it could seem like it is, maybe

For my family, we change it up usually, but my sisters always try to con my family to letting them get something from their stockings early. I end up going to lots of Christmases, one on each side of the family, and one for us, our really good family friends and then a Christmas party from my dad's work. This year I have to go to two Christmases on the 25 (not that two of them are a problem XD)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm supposed to go to three different houses tomorrow, but I may just end up skipping out on one of them. Three houses in one day is just too stressful for me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Furen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:10 pm

For Christmas gatherings with family?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:05 am

Furen (post: 1446207) wrote:Like baklava? They aren't usually with wafers, but it could seem like it is, maybe

It isn't. I finally asked what on earth it was, and what the point was. Mom told me what they're called (which I promptly forgot) but wasn't entirely sure of the significance. Luckily, we have Wikipedia!

And now shall enter 2011 a wiser person...
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Return to General