did i commit a sin doing this

Talk about anything in here.

did i commit a sin doing this

Postby fermy6 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:34 am

Well my one friend turned 18(here in South Africa we are legal at this age)and I bought him a bottle of booze...I did expect him to get drunk off it but I bought it for him to make him happy...was this a sin on my part?
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 am

I can't answer this in terms of morality. All I do know is your friend was the one who chose to drink in excess. Having access to alcohol (in my opinion) isn't a sin in itself, just as having access to say a gun isn't sin in itself. Its what' you do with it.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:17 am

I have to agree with Kun there. There are a lot of different opinions among Believers in regards to certain topics, alcohol being one of them.

You said you had no expectation of him getting drunk. From what you've shared, I don't see it as sin for getting him the bottle. I understand you feel bad for what happened to him afterward. Pray about it, and decide what's best.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:26 am

Jesus himself created wine for a wedding (John 2:1-11). Simply having alcohol is not a sin- it is when you drink too much that it does. It was your friend who, under his own actions, committed a sin. You didn't expect him to. It was under no circumstances your fault.
Atria35

Postby fermy6 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:16 am

Well actually what I meant to say was that I DID kinda expect him to get drunk...but it was the only think I knew that would make him happy
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Dante » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:30 am

He'll make sure to tell you "yes" during the hangover XD. Whether it is or not seems like a gray area, there is a line somewhere in the Bible saying that we shouldn't get drunk, but that's more of an individual aspect than a group one - and even then you're more responsible for tempting him. If anything, it's certainly not part of the top ten, and odd as it sounds to me, it does seem like you did it with a loving heart (even though you might consider redirecting that care in a more "positive" direction).
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:02 am

fermy6 (post: 1444527) wrote:Well actually what I meant to say was that I DID kinda expect him to get drunk...but it was the only think I knew that would make him happy

Do you feel wrong about it?
If so, it probably is. And I'm not here to hammer on you or anything, or condemn you.

But next time, it probably wouldn't be the best idea if you know your friend is going to get drunk to buy him alcohol.

It's like buying a likely murderer, a gun. Just not a good idea.
If you love your friend, you want to do what's best for him, right? It may be difficult. But I believe that its best to avoid leaving the temptation open for him.

It wasn't necessarily your fault he GOT drunk, but it still wasn't probably the best idea you giving him the opportunity to get drunk.

But we all make mistakes, just learn from this and do better next time. :)
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby fermy6 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:31 am

I guess ill just try to see what else he likes so I can get him something else for his bday next year
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby MxCake » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:39 am

God does say that we should not be a stumbling block for others. as for a sin i cant say for sure if you feel bad and that your sorry for doing it then just tell God your sorry. :) he forgives :p
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Falx » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:01 am

Fermy6 waar in die ou moederland is jy van? Ek bly in Noord Wes.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby fermy6 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:42 am

Ek bly in die Oos Kaap
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Falx » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:46 am

Lekker man.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby KougaHane » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 am

Pardon my curiosity, but what language is that? It looks like Dutch or Afrikaans to me (although those two are heavily related)
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:51 am

Its Afrikaans, which is related to Dutch.

En ek kom van Gauteng af, of soos party sê, die ou Transvaal.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby fermy6 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 am

Ek het verlede jaar(2009) in Gauteng gebly maar by die einde van 2009 het ons Oos Kaap toe gesky...haha my Afrikaans isn't actually that good
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby KougaHane » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:27 pm

That's cool! I really like foreign languages, but I thought in South Africa they spoke English and Swahili? For some reason I'm thinking Afrikaans was only spoken in northern Africa. Correct me please
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Your geography is a bit confused, sorry to say. Afrikaans is mostly spoken in Southern Africa, in South Africa and Namibia, nowhere else. Swahili is mostly spoken in Eastern Africa along with Aramaic (especially in Ethiopia). No local tribes speak Swahili.

North Africa I'm not sure about, but I'm guessing its Arabic dialects.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Aedin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:50 pm

MxCake (post: 1444720) wrote:God does say that we should not be a stumbling block for others. as for a sin i cant say for sure if you feel bad and that your sorry for doing it then just tell God your sorry. :) he forgives :p

God does say we shouldn't be a stumbling block, but I'm not sure buying someone legal counts as a stumbling block. He bought the bottle cause his friend would like it. He didn't force his friend to drink it or get drunk. It was all his friend's choice. I think fermy did nothing wrong and holds no responsibility. Like someone else in this thread, Jesus made wine. His first miracle was turning water into wine. He directly supplied the wine. But if someone got drunk off that wine, you think anyone would blame Jesus? Basically, fermy, you're cool, you did nothing wrong.
Everybody was haiku writing, Their wits were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening, But they wrote with expert rhyming
Aedin

Postby fermy6 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:21 am

Well I DIDN'T want him to get drunk...but its not like I didn't know he would...so concluding what everyone said...I could say that I did it with a good heart, but I kinda shudve known better...I shud save buying alcohol for my friends wu drink responsibly
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby armeck » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:32 am

i just thought of something... are you really 17? if 18 is the legal drinking age? how did buy alcohol!?
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby MxCake » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:52 am

Aedin (post: 1444834) wrote:God does say we shouldn't be a stumbling block, but I'm not sure buying someone legal counts as a stumbling block. He bought the bottle cause his friend would like it. He didn't force his friend to drink it or get drunk. It was all his friend's choice. I think fermy did nothing wrong and holds no responsibility. Like someone else in this thread, Jesus made wine. His first miracle was turning water into wine. He directly supplied the wine. But if someone got drunk off that wine, you think anyone would blame Jesus? Basically, fermy, you're cool, you did nothing wrong.

but you missed when he said he knew that his friend would get drunk off it. and knowing someone would get drunk off it is a stumbaling block.if he didn't know there really wouldn't be an issue.
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby MxCake » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:55 am

and you know when im of legal age to buy it im going to try and keep a good rule for my self if im going to buy alcohol it would be strictly wine.since anything else people just drink it to get drunk off it anyways. wines more of a cultural special occasion thing
MxCake

Postby Yojimbo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:14 pm

MxCake (post: 1445031) wrote:and you know when im of legal age to buy it im going to try and keep a good rule for my self if im going to buy alcohol it would be strictly wine.since anything else people just drink it to get drunk off it anyways. wines more of a cultural special occasion thing

Not true. I rarely drink wine. I drink beer mostly but occasionally spirits. And the last time I was drunk was when I was 16 and not a Christian. It's fine you have your personal convictions with alcohol but don't assume just because someone drinks beer or other forms of alcohol they're some drunkard.

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
Ephesians 5:18

Ephesians 5 specifically mentions do not be drunk with wine, so saying that specifically it's wrong to drink other forms is false. Obviously we take this to mean don't be drunk with any alcohol. Really it's important to look at the why rather than just the thing itself. That helps to stop blanket statements like that and focus on the heart of the issue. God doesn't want us to be led into sin from alcohol which when abused causes us to fall into sin in many cases. He wants us to be filled and guided by His Spirit.

Christian temperance pretty much didn't exist until 200-300 years ago. It's more of a personal conviction and/or denominational line than a biblical one. In my own experiences the Church in the rest of the world does not share in the views of alcohol abstinence as many American Christians do.

Besides arguably beer is older than wine and there's a lot more types of beers in the world. I would say that beer is just as culturally relevant and refined as wine can be.

As for the original topic fermy you obviously feel bad about this. Like others have said we should not be a stumbling block to others. You knew that he would likely get drunk. If that's his disposition then no it was probably not a good idea to get him alcohol. Yes they're legal but the issue was God's commandments against drunkenness not breaking the legal law of underage drinking. Your friend was still responsible for his actions but I don't think you weren't helping the situation either.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Aedin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:47 pm

MxCake (post: 1445030) wrote:but you missed when he said he knew that his friend would get drunk off it. and knowing someone would get drunk off it is a stumbaling block.if he didn't know there really wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I misread it. I thought he said he didn't know his friend would get drunk.
Everybody was haiku writing, Their wits were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening, But they wrote with expert rhyming
Aedin

Postby fermy6 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:47 am

armeckthefirst (post: 1445021) wrote:i just thought of something... are you really 17? if 18 is the legal drinking age? how did buy alcohol!?

My friend who I went with to the party is 18
You'd be long gone
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby armeck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:12 am

oh okay. okay that makes sense lolz