Watch this video before buying any Christmas presents...

Talk about anything in here.

Watch this video before buying any Christmas presents...

Postby Koshka » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:10 pm

The user formerly known as Colonel Sanders

[color="Cyan"]"Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the LORD, turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." -Proverbs 3:7-8[/color]

My Deviant Art
Koshka

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:49 pm

This is pretty great, and definitely something to consider during the holidays. I personally prefer spending time with people a lot more than buying and getting gifts, and I sort of wish the rest of America would catch on. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Pretty cool video. I just wish that it was named something different. I thought it was going to be something crazy.

I think that the most important part of the holidays is giving to those in need and spending time with friends and family, so I suppose that this video is right up my alley.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:02 am

I have to agree-

But Xmas is the one time of year where I have an excuse to do things for my family since we don't really do Bdays. So while I may not buy gifts, I certainly do things like bake cookies and make candies that I can share with them and my friends.
Atria35

Postby Beau Soir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:11 am

I thought that was an excellent video. However, Christmas is the time that I do go all out on getting people nice things which I know they will like. It's just money, it's just stuff, and we can't take it with us... Yes, but knowing that someone spent time and effort on me when I get a present, no matter how small, is a gift in itself. So I try to give that to others, too.
I do also spend a lot of time with my family, of course. Memories and bonding are more precious and what last longer than stuff does anyway. :3

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:22 am

That was just really awesome. :D
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Furen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

I've seen that before in church, but that was amazing still none the less. I'm all for that, I mean if you HAVE to get something, then buy it yourself, and then I'm sure there'd be more money left to send even a little. But family togetherness is the best, I wouldn't even care if the food was bad :P
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nekomimi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 pm

What am I gonna do instead of my usual last-minute shopping spree? Ah well, I guess I could make room for a new tradition, hm? ;-}
Nekomimi

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Great video. I think part of the problem is that most people expect to get a lot of stuff, so they are given a lot of stuff to fulfil that expectation (otherwise they would be unhappy - tantrums). So if fewer people had the expectation of receiving the latest gaming console/game/clothes/etc, then the givers would be free to express love in the ways shown in the video instead. And the receivers would be pleasantly surprised when they did receive something that they thought they might like earlier (not expecting it).
I don't think giving gifts should be totally removed, because some people do have gifts as their love language, while others have quality time, etc. But gifts should be put in their proper place rather taking over the whole season. And everyone could do with some more quality time, especially during the Christmas season.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Furen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:57 pm

@W4C so you're basically saying that as long as the gifts are not the heart of the family, then it's fine, and those families are the ones that are likely to happily do stuff like that?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby WhiteMage212 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Well, as much as I agree with this, I do have to say that everyone shops because stores put a simple sign on their store fronts: SALE!!!!!. Getting things cheaper seem much more economical so they buy what they need/want (mostly wants though). Problem is is that people buy too much stuff. If people got what they need and just a few specific things they wanted (think about what you really want) then it would be a lot better. Than that extra money can go to something else the whole family can enjoy and make memories with or they can buy from those catalogs that let you buy an animal, water well, food, etc. For someone In a third world country. That would be a great present to give because you get to buy something that will not just make someone happy, but something that will be useful.
In the beginning, God created HTML...- R. Zion
Men cry not for themselves, but for there comrades.-FF7 Crisis Core
"If it's not the gun that takes you down, it's the pen- myself
Know God, No fear.
If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! MOES. http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=43825[/URL].
WhiteMage212

Postby steenajack » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Hm, I like this. *adds video to playlist*
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:05 am

YES!!! I was looking for a good excuse not to buy people presents!
Srsly though, after my Dad said, "I just want obedient children." 17 years in a row, we're all, "Just stick with something that is possible for us to give you!!!" XP
We spend too much time with eachother as it is. >_<
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

Furen (post: 1441776) wrote:@W4C so you're basically saying that as long as the gifts are not the heart of the family, then it's fine, and those families are the ones that are likely to happily do stuff like that?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean... I just meant that giving gifts is just one aspect of celebrating Christmas - not the be all and end all of Christmas. If that's clearer....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Furen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 am

Okay, I pretty much got it last time, just clarifying. Yes it did make sense.
Furen

Postby agasfas » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:05 pm

What is truly important, spending mounds of cash for presents or putting those effort towards things more important in life. I've been trying to make that point for years to my friends... I'm glad to see an ad that encourages that.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Straylight » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:26 am

Awesome video :thumbsup:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Return to General