People who you were excited to find out were Christian

Talk about anything in here.

People who you were excited to find out were Christian

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:46 am

Like it says. Have you ever said "Wow! So-and-so's Christian? Interesting." Here's some celebrities who surprised me:
Alice Cooper (yes, you read that right. Alice. Cooper.)
JK Rowling
the creators of Dungeons and Dragons (they were also fans of JRR Tolkien)
Madeleine L'Engle
JRR Tolkien
all the members of U2
Alfred Hitchcock
Stephen Colbert
Vic Mignogna
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:11 am

Bob Dylan
rocklobster (post: 1443931) wrote:Like it says. Have you ever said "Wow! So-and-so's Christian? Interesting." Here's some celebrities who surprised me:
Alice Cooper (yes, you read that right. Alice. Cooper.)
(Citation Needed)
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 am

I think it's funny that we are surprised people are christians... Technically I thought we were supposed to be different, so then when we hear it we go, "Huh, I had a feeling they might be." and such.
Now there are definately some people who surprise me by saying they are christians, but they don't fit the description. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 am

Here you go, ich.
More people:
Shawn Michaels
Triple-H
Rey Mysterio JR (actually, I felt like such a dunce when I saw this. The guy even does the sign of the cross as part of his ring entrance.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am

I've heard some people say JK Rowling isn't, while others say she is... Could somebody link me to where I can read more about this?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:15 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1443984) wrote:I've heard some people say JK Rowling isn't, while others say she is... Could somebody link me to where I can read more about this?

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071018/harry-potter-author-reveals-books-christian-allegory-her-struggling-faith/
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/julyweb-only/130-12.0.html

and for some about reading the HP books:
http://www.facingthechallenge.org/potter2.php
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.asp (this deals with the rumors of Satanism in HP)
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Thank you, Atria. I've been trying to find people who will give me those articles at another forum. Unfortunately because it's got people who are of the "All non-Christian stuff is evil!" crowd, I got more negative than positive. Apparently, people there don't know how to read opening posts.:shake: I even explicitly said I wanted positive support of Harry Potter and they still couldn't get past their own prejudices. And they wonder why I don't always post there? Maybe if they weren't so keen on thinking everything non-CHristian is evil, I wouldn't feel so alienated.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Furen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1443973) wrote:I think it's funny that we are surprised people are christians... Technically I thought we were supposed to be different, so then when we hear it we go, "Huh, I had a feeling they might be." and such.
Now there are definately some people who surprise me by saying they are christians, but they don't fit the description. XP

Agreed, I find it as an insult when people say to me "WHAT?!?! You're christian? I didn't know that" Luckily that hasn't happened for a while.

also I'd say people do have the ability to lie (yes unfortunate :'( ) so I usually go by how they act. Doesn't mean I don't dislike them, it doesn't even mean I disbelieve them, but the way they present themselves don't live up to that standard.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:38 pm

N/P, Rocky. I've come across the same issues. I went looking for myself- there's a lot on both sides of the argument. The good criticisms come mostly from bloggers which, while nice and shows that there is support, it isn't coming from the "official" Christian news sites. It's hard to find support from those.

But I'm not insulted when people are surprised when they find out I'm Christian- For me, that says that there are a lot of people that are nice and good and caring out there that just aren't converts. And, quite frankly, the world needs more good, kind, caring people no matter what religion they are (or aren't, as the case may be).
Atria35

Postby Peanut » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1443973) wrote:I think it's funny that we are surprised people are christians... Technically I thought we were supposed to be different, so then when we hear it we go, "Huh, I had a feeling they might be." and such.

I disagree for one reason, this view assumes that a specific way of acting=Christian. We are supposed to be different but that's less of a comment on how we externally act and more of a comment on the difference of our heart which can lead to external reactions. My experience, generally, has been that if people are surprised someone is a Christian, it's because they don't really know them. This thread supplying a load of examples.

To contribute, I was surprised to find out that one of the scientists who helped map out the Human Genome (and his name escapes me) is a Christian.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:59 pm

I would like for us to be careful with this thread, since you really can't judge people's hearts, and I'm not sure how to feel about listing people who we're "surprised" are brothers and sister in Christ. I dunno. Just post with discretion.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ich1990 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 pm

rocklobster (post: 1443974) wrote:Here you go, ich.

My mistake. *bows*

I had read some other interviews where he was openly disparaging of people who thought he was a Christian, but I can't seem to find them now.

He and Bob Dylan would make a killer concert in the afterlife.
ich1990

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1444033) wrote:I would like for us to be careful with this thread, since you really can't judge people's hearts, and I'm not sure how to feel about listing people who we're "surprised" are brothers and sister in Christ. I dunno. Just post with discretion.

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing... I thought about saying this thread made me feel a bit uneasy, but figured it'd probably be best to just sit back and wait to see if a mod thought so too.

And thanks for the links, Atria! I'll be sure to check them out.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ich1990 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1444033) wrote:I would like for us to be careful with this thread, since you really can't judge people's hearts, and I'm not sure how to feel about listing people who we're "surprised" are brothers and sister in Christ. I dunno. Just post with discretion.
I don't really see the problem with this. I mean, no one actually knows the hearts of anyone else, so what is the harm in making educated guesses? It is like looking at someone's voting record and trying to discern what party they best fit in. You can't really know for sure, but you can guess, even though everybody's criteria will be different.

The reason you might be surprised is when you don't look at someone's voting record very carefully, like me with Alice Cooper. I thought he was part of one party but it turns out his record puts him on the other side of the spectrum. Kind of "surprising" and interesting. I don't think Rocklobster was saying that this thread is the arbiter of souls or anything.

So, what exactly do you want us to be discrete about?
ich1990

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Myself.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby armeck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm

mark hoppus
travis barker
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby That Dude » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Toshiro Mifune (you know the samurai guy from pretty most all of Kurasawa's stuff.)
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Everyone who posted someone else's name in this thread.
Fish and Chips

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm not going to name names, because I don't know people's hearts but everything from movie directors to actors/actresses, singers, authors - the list goes on!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:04 am

I guess you're right, RD. After all, people judged Jesus, calling him a drunkard and criticized the "rabble" he hung around with, one of whom was Mary Magdalene, who some scholars think was a prostitute.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 am

Former Beatle George Harrison accepted Christ before he died.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 am

I guess I don't really see what's so bad about being surprised to find out someone is a Christian? Someone care to enlighten me please?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:38 am

I am with Shiroi and ich on this one. Saying that you don't or didn't think someone is/was a Christian isn't equivalent to saying you think they are/were a horrible person.[spoiler]nor, depending on denominational affiliation and/or theological persuasion, is it necessarily equivalent to saying that you don't think they will go to heaven[/spoiler]For example, I don't think Ghandi or Socrates were Christians and would be surprised to learn via some new historical evidence that they indeed became Christians, yet I think that these are two of the finest, most enlightening, most inspirational, best people who have lived on this planet.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1444190) wrote:I guess I don't really see what's so bad about being surprised to find out someone is a Christian? Someone care to enlighten me please?

I think its all attitude. If you're surprised as in "Really? That person is a Christian even though they do X,Y, and Z?" then it probably is a bad thing. If it's more of a "Really?! That person is a Christian! Awesome!" then there is nothing wrong with it. I think this was the intent of the thread, pleasant surprise that someone is a Christian, instead of the judging "I can't believe that person is a Christian" way.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:30 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1444190) wrote:I guess I don't really see what's so bad about being surprised to find out someone is a Christian? Someone care to enlighten me please?
TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1444194) wrote:I am with Shiroi and ich on this one. Saying that you don't or didn't think someone is/was a Christian isn't equivalent to saying you think they are/were a horrible person.[spoiler]nor, depending on denominational affiliation and/or theological persuasion, is it necessarily equivalent to saying that you don't think they will go to heaven[/spoiler]For example, I don't think Ghandi or Socrates were Christians and would be surprised to learn via some new historical evidence that they indeed became Christians, yet I think that these are two of the finest, most enlightening, most inspirational, best people who have lived on this planet.
Because of what it says about what you think a Christian is.

Being "Surprised" to learn someone is Christian implies you didn't think they were Christian before - or, if you never really thought about it, but were pressed to assume, you wouldn't have said they were Christian. It reveals a subtle bias against whatever reason it is that lead you to be "Surprised" that someone, this someone, could be Christian.

For example, let's turn to a guy I knew in college. Very intelligent, very well-read theologically, very devoted Christian. He also swore a lot, and I do mean a lot, in casual conversation. Some of you just did a double take on that. A Christian? Swearing? Yet I've known a lot of Christians who swore, and were no less serious about their commitment to faith.

It levies a certain level of judgment to say someone surprised you by being Christian.
Fish and Chips

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:51 am

Would now be a bad time/bad place to say that I assume most people aren't Christian until they mention otherwise, or I see something that suggests otherwise? Why should I assume everyone is a Christian?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:52 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1444199) wrote:Because of what it says about what you think a Christian is.

Being "Surprised" to learn someone is Christian implies you didn't think they were Christian before - or, if you never really thought about it, but were pressed to assume, you wouldn't have said they were Christian. It reveals a subtle bias against whatever reason it is that lead you to be "Surprised" that someone, this someone, could be Christian.

For example, let's turn to a guy I knew in college. Very intelligent, very well-read theologically, very devoted Christian. He also swore a lot, and I do mean a lot, in casual conversation. Some of you just did a double take on that. A Christian? Swearing? Yet I've known a lot of Christians who swore, and were no less serious about their commitment to faith.

It levies a certain level of judgment to say someone surprised you by being Christian.
Not all judgments are unfair or hasty, though. Sure, there are people who make faulty inferences or evaluate based on too small a body of evidence but to say that all judgments about whether or not someone is a Christian are of this kind is to make a hasty judgment yourself.

Consider David Hume, noted Scottish philosopher and atheist. He argued against the existence of God in a number of ways and lived his life as he saw fit given his atheism. Rumors persist that he converted on his deathbed. Now, looking at his life as a whole and judging from his body of writings contra theism, I believe that being skeptical about him being a Christian is a very fair judgment. I certainly hope he did, but considering all of the evidence to the contrary, I am inclined to believe he did not.

Again, claiming to think someone isn't a believer is not claiming to have knowledge about their eternal destiny. Such a claim is presumptuous and foolish. But still, I don't see the problem with a more measured, non-condemnatory sort of claim
Luke 6:43-44 wrote:No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:24 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1444203) wrote:Not all judgments are unfair or hasty, though. Sure, there are people who make faulty inferences or evaluate based on too small a body of evidence but to say that all judgments about whether or not someone is a Christian are of this kind is to make a hasty judgment yourself.

Consider David Hume, noted Scottish philosopher and atheist. He argued against the existence of God in a number of ways and lived his life as he saw fit given his atheism. Rumors persist that he converted on his deathbed. Now, looking at his life as a whole and judging from his body of writings contra theism, I believe that being skeptical about him being a Christian is a very fair judgment.

Again, claiming to think someone isn't a believer is not claiming to have knowledge about their eternal destiny. Such a claim is presumptuous and foolish. But still, I don't see the problem with a more measured, non-condemnatory sort of claim
Most people in this thread aren't posting about David Hume.

No, not all judgments are hasty generalizations, and yes, discerning someone's religious leanings through sifting evidence is good practice. You are correct. However, I do not believe the majority of the posts made in this thread were made with that same thoughtfulness.

Take Rocklobster's opening post.
rocklobster (post: 1443931) wrote:JK Rowling
the creators of Dungeons and Dragons (they were also fans of JRR Tolkien)
JRR Tolkien
Now, it's entirely possible I, myself, am making a hasty judgment of Rocklobster here, and he's certainly free to post in his own thread to prove me wrong, but I think I can pinpoint with a very low margin of error exactly why he listed all of these people, and I very seriously doubt it has even half the amount of forethought you put into your post dismissing the possibility of David Hume's deathbed conversion.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:24 pm

No good tree bears bad fruit

What about the durian?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Nate (post: 1444214) wrote:What about the durian?

Durians are great in terms of entertainment value. I guess some people like to eat them too.
blkmage

Next

Return to General