christianity

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:41 am

I kinda really don't have any specific image of God that I view in my head when I pray. For me, I think I view more of a concept of God rather than an image. Sometimes when I think of Jesus I have the traditional concept image from Sunday School and what-not, but I really find it impossible to believe God would look anything like the regal bearded old man that you commonly see him represented by, so I really don't feel I have an image that I can view him as.

TopazRaven (post: 1439973) wrote:I feel like such a bad Christian. I wish I could see and hear the things you all do. When I talk to God I basically speak to him randomly like he's sitting next to me or something without imagining anything at all. Sometimes I think he must think me insane and become tired of my ramblings.

You think you feel like a bad Christian? You think God must be tired of your "insane ramblings"?

Let me tell you something...

Many of my prayers sessions once upon a time during my spiritual journey consisted of nothing but ranting and, several times, cussing God out directly.

The thing about God is... he is patient. He is understanding. He understands what you are going through and why you act the way you do. God is not in a box like so many different denominations and people try to put him in. There is just not one set of absolute rules of code and conduct that one must act before God in order to be accepted by him.

Every human being is different. Everyone has different ways of thinking, different backgrounds, different life experiences, and God takes all things into account and each individual relationship with him is going to be different.

Really, the whole human race is insane and messed up and God would rather you ramble and even sometimes rage at him because you are actually TALKING to Him and allowing Him a window into your life to help you through whatever you are going through and come out stronger.

Just because someone else has a specific way of praying or seems to "love God more" than you feel like you do doesn't mean jack. You are your own person, and you have your own specific relationship with God. Don't compare yourself with others.
Azier the Swordsman

Contemplating God in Prayer

Postby crusader88 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:04 pm

When I pray, sometimes I imagine Jesus as He is often portrayed, thinking of how He is at once meek and the King of kings. In moments of despair, I often think of the child Jesus. I cannot find the exact image I often contemplate, but something of delicacy like to this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6dKQTchkJaA/SfpsGCXHEnI/AAAAAAAANCE/mxTFEEdDtAY/s400/StJosephChild.jpg

If I pray when on a night walk, or am marveling in Creation, I may think of seeing myself in the third person to the backdrop of the shaded horizon and luminous stars. At times when I have trouble remembering God's glory and goodness, I might think of some of my beautiful female friends, recalling that God has made all beauty, and especially He has made them. Or if the setting is especially banal and artificial, I think of and idealize the light (like the discussion opener?), as in a puddle or even through a beverage.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby Nate » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:38 pm

crusader88 wrote:I might think of some of my beautiful female friends, recalling that God has made all beauty, and especially He has made them.

I like this idea. I'm gonna start thinking about hot chicks when I'm praying too.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Previous

Return to General