Bats are in danger of extinction...

Talk about anything in here.

Bats are in danger of extinction...

Postby Syreth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:49 am

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/12/white-nose-syndrome/5/

Or so this article seems to imply. Long story short, there is a sychrophilic (cold-loving) fungus that infects bats while they hibernate. The fungus is a mutant that's developed enzymes for digesting their flesh, much like the demon worms in Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke (a comparison actually used in the above article). In the Appalachians, the fungus has gotten into hibernation caves and killed about 90% of the bat population in each respective cave.

This has the potential to be a significant ecological disaster.

I'd like you to consider a few questions of interest. What concerns you more: Seeing a species die in and of itself? Or are you more concerned with how it could directly impact your life? Or do you not care?
Syreth

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:59 am

Both. I mean, seeing a species in and of itself go is very, very sad, but I also know they play a surprisingly important role in the ecosystem, and that affets me.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 am

The bats! Oh no! Not to mention, this is very concerning for them and for us! This fungus sounds scary. 0.o Poor bats...
TopazRaven

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:16 am

This is really sad! I've always kind of liked bats, and they're pretty fascinating creatures. I hope they can find a way to kill the fungus that's causing this disease. I agree that any species reaching extinction is always sad, but I'd say that the ecological effects this could have are pretty concerning, too. So where your poll is concerned, yeah, I'd say both.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 am

Aww poor bats! I always love to watch them fly, it's really fascinating...

Like everyone has seemed to agree on, the sadness of losing this species is really sad, but the ecological effects could be devastating. Is this just in one area or all over?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby TGJesusfreak » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 am

Even though they are disgusting rodents of the air... they are still God's creation and are still cool to look at. Both 1 and 2.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 am

Maybe it's just the bats' time to go? Where did this fungus come from anyway?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Syreth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1442363) wrote:Aww poor bats! I always love to watch them fly, it's really fascinating...

Like everyone has seemed to agree on, the sadness of losing this species is really sad, but the ecological effects could be devastating. Is this just in one area or all over?

It's mostly in the Appalachian Mountains, but the fungus is highly virulent, which means it can spread extremely quickly.

I hope they can find a way to kill the fungus that's causing this disease.

I do too. The trouble is that all of the medicines that we currently have also act as neurotoxins and have other negative effects on bats. It's a pretty common issue when dealing with fungal diseases, because at a basic level, fungi are pretty similar to mammals, so its difficult to develop an approach that kills the fungi and not the host.
Syreth

Postby Dante » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:16 pm

But... Bats are awesome! :( Why bats? Why not, mosquitoes or hookworms, leeches or the virus responsible for the common cold, that and while we're at it, whatever plants are adding to my allergies?
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Furen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Pascal (post: 1442475) wrote:But... Bats are awesome! :( Why bats? Why not, mosquitoes or hookworms, leeches or the virus responsible for the common cold, that and while we're at it, whatever plants are adding to my allergies?

because that's not how life works... sucks sometimes XD
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:54 pm

Wow, this is pretty sad... I feel bad for the bats, not to mention wonder just what an impact it could have on the ecosystem. I haven't done a whole lot of research on bats, but I do remember a bit from all my years of watching those animal shows for kids when I was young. XD

But seriously... This is just sad. :( Both 1 and 2.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:41 pm

I like bats, and I appreciate them as one of God's gifts to humanity. However, I'm not quite sure how widespread this disease is, so it's alittle early for me to be sad over losing a few bats ("few" being relative to all bats in the US).
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

That's awful, and very depressing... I really pray that they find a way to stop it. Poor bats...
[I]“Love crosses all boundaries, and is often shot for trespassing.â€
QuirkyIceHeart

Location: IN YOUR FACE. And the internet. And my personal dream worlds B) Arkansas for you boring people :P

Return to General