Gunslinger Girl

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Gunslinger Girl

Postby Midori » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks to GhostOnTheNet for reviewing this. The review can be found here:
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=307
Midori

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks for the notification.

Looks like an interesting show, as it handles issues such as child military, which is something not too often seen in films/shows.
ABlipinTime

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

Love the review! This looks like a great show. Now I will have to check it out.
Atria35

Postby Midori » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am

Honestly when I first watched this show I morosely expected it to be a fanservice show, not of the sexual variety but of the kids with guns and gore variety. So I was quite pleased that it turned out to be actually good. I thought the ending was kind of anticlimactic but I suppose that was on purpose.
Midori

Postby Sheenar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:03 pm

I loved Gunslinger Girl. I went out and bought the series after watching it at a friend's house. I loved how it gave so much insight and character background/development for each girl --I felt that I really could empathize with several of them.

I agree that the ending was a bit anticlimatic. But, since there is a second Gunslinger Girls series out, I am hopeful that it will resolve some of the things left hanging.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Midori » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I'd offer my opinions on the sequel here too but I think that'd more spoileriffic than the situation demands.
Midori

Postby Sheenar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 pm

I haven't seen the sequel yet. A while back, Funimation was streaming it on their website --not sure if they still are.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ich1990 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:06 pm

Ah, good old Ghost on the Net. It is nice to read some of his writing again. It almost convinces me to give the show a shot (har har). Like you Midori, I had written it off as violent kid fanservice akin to a toned down Elfen Lied. I am glad to hear that is not the case.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby J.D3 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:50 am

It's a very rich Review, and actually makes me want to see it now! (I had also thought it was an "oh dear, not another hentai-waiting-to-happen" deal when I first picked it up *eats words* :sweat:)
J.D3

Postby Edward » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Sheenar (post: 1442181) wrote:I haven't seen the sequel yet. A while back, Funimation was streaming it on their website --not sure if they still are.

I don't know if it's on their website, but it is available on Funimation's Youtube channel. I think they have the second series and the OVA's as well.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Midori » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Wait, there's OVAs of Gunslinger Girl? If so, I haven't seen them. I didn't like the second series as much as the first, but maybe the OVAs well be better.
Midori

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews