What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Finished Gunslinger- I'm not sure what this was, so that means I'm going to be checking out the second book in the Dark Tower series.
Atria35

Postby That Dude » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:18 pm

[quote="the_wolfs_howl (post: 1439934)"]So I finished Assassin's Apprentice the other day, and man. I loved that book from beginning to end]

Oh man, that book is one of my alltime favorites. That whole series of six books is amazing. You should definitely finish the trilogy then go to the next trilogy in the series, The Tawny Man trilogy. Anyway, I'm excited to see that somebody else loves this book!
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:05 pm

It's December, and that means it's time for my annual reading of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I love this story more every year.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:19 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1441148) wrote:It's December, and that means it's time for my annual reading of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I love this story more every year.

I.... have never read it :red: Now I know what I'm doing for Xmas this year! (though I did read Scrooge: A Zombie Christmas Carol. I'm not sure that counts, but it was fun!)

In any case, finishing up Inkheart, next up: Starship Troopers!
Atria35

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:09 pm

Lamentation by Ken Scholes
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Finished Inkheart. I know it's a good book, I can tell it's written well, and the story is interesting.... but I just couldn't connect to it. I'm not sure why.

Started on Sorcery and Cecelia -or- The Magic Chocolate Pot (I had to, it's by one of the authors I loved when growing up! And it's pretty funny, sounding very true to the era (with a few magical changes, of course! :lol:), and Starship Troopers (also good. Very exciting).
Atria35

Postby Tamachan319 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Finally got my copy of Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex!
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 am

Atria35 (post: 1441561) wrote:Finished Inkheart. I know it's a good book, I can tell it's written well, and the story is interesting.... but I just couldn't connect to it. I'm not sure why.

The other books are better. You might want to try The Thief Lord or Dragon Rider. They're also written by Funke and are pretty good. Maybe it's the purple prose that's turning you off. She seems to overdo it at times. (I actually don't mind purple prose much, but that's me).
Starting Skeleton Key by Anthony Horowitz.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Okay, so I kinda want to try Assassin's Apprentice. I have seen good reviews here (obviously) and on Amazon. But . . . it doesn't seem that much different from your everyday stock "high fantasy" story. And . . . "Prince Chivalry"? "King Regal"? Am I supposed to take these names seriously? 'Cause I'll tell ya right now, I couldn't do that.

From my own assessment, all signs point to dull, cheesy, formulaic fantasy rehash. So can someone tell me why I should set my reservations aside and get this book? I really wanna know. I seem to be missing out on something.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby That Dude » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1442225) wrote:Okay, so I kinda want to try Assassin's Apprentice. I have seen good reviews here (obviously) and on Amazon. But . . . it doesn't seem that much different from your everyday stock "high fantasy" story. And . . . "Prince Chivalry"? "King Regal"? Am I supposed to take these names seriously? 'Cause I'll tell ya right now, I couldn't do that.

From my own assessment, all signs point to dull, cheesy, formulaic fantasy rehash. So can someone tell me why I should set my reservations aside and get this book? I really wanna know. I seem to be missing out on something.

Best character development I've ever read in any book hands down. Intricate political intrigue, gripping story, original enemies and whatnot, not your typical elves and orcs junk. Also very original fantasy elements (actually they are pretty understated.)

Some of the names are lame, but honestly this series (the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies) are the best fantasy books I've ever read in my entire life, and I'm a big LOTR fan, and LOTR is eclipsed by these.)

I cannot speak highly enough of these books, I've read many many books and these are the best "high fantasy" books I've ever laid eyes upon, hands down, no contest. The only ones that come even close to them are the LOTR books.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1442225) wrote:Okay, so I kinda want to try Assassin's Apprentice. I have seen good reviews here (obviously) and on Amazon. But . . . it doesn't seem that much different from your everyday stock "high fantasy" story. And . . . "Prince Chivalry"? "King Regal"? Am I supposed to take these names seriously? 'Cause I'll tell ya right now, I couldn't do that.

The names really do have the quality, I admit, to make you second-guess the book, but I can assure you, there is nothing cheesy, dull or formulaic about Robin Hobb's FARSEER TRILOGY. There is something very poignant and compelling about the characters as well as the writing / prose. When you're done with the Farseer trilogy you feel like you're saying goodbye to friends. And the plots less about fighting big battles but about politics, behind the scenes and such, so in that instance its already not a formulaic 'lets find the Sword of Anglamax and defeat the Dark Lord Squinklax III' plot. There are a few cliches, but they are used in such a way that you'd hardly notice them when they come.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:22 am

Edit: Double post!
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 pm

started reading Empress, book 1 in the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Miller.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:05 pm

rocklobster (post: 1442604) wrote:started reading Empress, book 1 in the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Miller.

Already?! Oh, man. I hope you like it. It's definitely fairly violent and there is some sex (not graphic), but it's perhaps one of the better fantasy series I've read.

Still on Sorcery and Cecelia. Take Jane Austen and cross it with a bit of sappy romance. It's chick lit- but one that I enjoy. A bit classier than my usual stuff I read to relax.

Edit: To take a break from that, I went with Halo, a book Rocklobster recommended. I have to say, I have very mixed feelings on this book. I like the characters- I like the characters a lot. Characters make or break a story for me, and I like these characters. I don't like their interactions. "I know you have a secret" is sooooooo sappy and cliched, and would he seriously know that after a talk with her.... and finding a feather in his car? It's a freakin' feather! It's not like I can't walk outside and find one- or rip open my winter coat and get a few.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Just started Heroes of Olympus: the Lost Hero the day before yesterday. Enjoying it so far, but I officially have a new pet peeve...

Okay, in the 150 to 200 pages, a certain character is going to see if he can capture and tame an automated dragon. No one else has been able to do it. He'd have to be a seasoned warrior, Olympian god (which could be possible in this world), OR a protagonist to have any chance of doing this. BUT CAN HE DO IT?!

Well, I know he can do it because the freaking cover shows him and his friends riding the stupid thing. Also I can tell he tames the dragon pretty quickly, because I've deduced from the wonderfully informative cover that since the girl doesn't get a chance to change her clothes--the front cover depicts her in the dress described as 'going so low in the front it's embarrassing'.

That is all. Despite the idiocy of the cover, I am enjoying this book a lot. It doesn't feel like he's stretching the world and characters at all.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Halfway through A Handmaid's Tale. Terrible depressing, but terribly good.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Others have propounded the merits of this book, and I'd like to echo them ^_^ I suppose it depends on your definition of "high fantasy," but Assassin's Apprentice doesn't really fall into that category for me. It's very very good, but there's none of the evil-lord-in-his-dark-tower, inspiring-cavalry-charges, the-whole-fate-of-the-world-depends-on-you kind of thing I associate with "high fantasy." (I can't speak for the sequels, but I'm assuming they're in the same vein.) It deals with ordinary medieval life as much as the political intrigue and assassinations.

Maybe it's just me, but the names never bothered me. It's not that different from reading a book set in a Puritan town populated by people with names like Hope, Chastity, and Prudence. There's a reason for there to be names like that, and besides, it's not like Robin Hobb is saying, "I have named this character Verity, and thus he shall always speak the truth and no one may gainsay him because I Have Spoken!"

If you ask me, Robin Hobb is also just really good at writing. Her style is so easy to read, much more so than a lot of "high fantasy" authors who go on and on for ages about things of minimal importance. If you aren't convinced yet, at least try reading the first chapter and see what you think. At least there isn't some long-winded prophecy prologue :P

Atria35 (post: 1442872) wrote:Halfway through A Handmaid's Tale. Terrible depressing, but terribly good.

I loved that book! (Despite myself XD) Rather haunting and thought-provoking.

After three chapters of WoT: Lord of Chaos, in which Eggy, Ninny, and Elly sit around doing nothing, I find myself wondering why I even bother with this series anymore. I keep on hoping one of them will kick the can (or at least get off their butts and do something instead of sitting around talking about how they're going to keep their men in line), but there's little hope of that - these characters seem to be Robert Jordan's favorites :/
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Lord of the Flies. Worst book I've ever read and I haven't even gotten past the 5th chapter. :mutter:
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:12 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1443053) wrote:I loved that book! (Despite myself XD) Rather haunting and thought-provoking.

You said it! I finished it this morning, and it really is one of the books that I will be chewing over for a while. So many different layers to it, and meanings (I nearly skipped the end part to it! I thought they were author notes or something until I looked closer!)

Also read Animal Farm today. I never read it before. It was also thought-provoking, but in a more direct manner, and I won't be mulling it over for as long. I could see the political parallels all too clearly, and it was an interesting take since both sides were equally bad. But I liked Handmaid's Tale better.
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Ally-Ann (post: 1443077) wrote:Lord of the Flies. Worst book I've ever read and I haven't even gotten past the 5th chapter. :mutter:

Oh, this is so sad! XD You should really give Lord of the Flies a chance; it's one of my favorite books! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MasterDias » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1443053) wrote:Others have propounded the merits of this book, and I'd like to echo them ^_^ I suppose it depends on your definition of "high fantasy," but Assassin's Apprentice doesn't really fall into that category for me. It's very very good, but there's none of the evil-lord-in-his-dark-tower, inspiring-cavalry-charges, the-whole-fate-of-the-world-depends-on-you kind of thing I associate with "high fantasy." (I can't speak for the sequels, but I'm assuming they're in the same vein.) It deals with ordinary medieval life as much as the political intrigue and assassinations.

Assassin's Apprentice is probably more aptly considered Low Fantasy. Contrasted with High Fantasy, it's loosely defined as having mostly human characters, somewhat more limited plot scope, and low-key magical elements.

I just finished the first book not that long ago myself, and am currently reading Royal Assassin, so count me in as someone who can vouch for it as well.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Huh. S'pose I had the wrong idea about the subgenre. Don't know quite where I got it from. I actually much prefer "low fantasy", which, I suppose, is part of why The Black Company (which you're probably all tired of me mentioning so often lately) appeals to me so much. All right, then. I'll give this one a shot after I finish what I'm reading now.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:14 am

Moving onto both 1984 and The Red Pyramid. I should have those done in the next few days.
Atria35

Postby heero yuy 95 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 pm

I've tried to read Jack Keruac's "On the Road" because it's one of those great classics. Set it down about halfway through. I really want to like it, but hard to follow. Maybe one day I'll pick it up and finish it.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 am

Let me know what you think of "The Red Pyramid", Atria. I want to read that myself!
Anyway, started Storm Front, book 1 of The Dresden Files. Imagine Merlin as a hard-boiled private eye. That's what this series is like. And yes, it works.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 pm

rocklobster (post: 1443679) wrote:Let me know what you think of "The Red Pyramid", Atria. I want to read that myself!

I will! PS- Really jealous that you started Dresden. I've been trying for 4 YEARS to get my hands on the first book in the series, and have failed each time!

Instead of doing 1984 (had to return it) I went for Color of Magic , book 1 in the Diskworld series. Wow. Just.... wow. While I have to say that at first the narrative threw me, and the world was wacky enough that I had a hard time putting my head around it, by the fifth chapter I was totally digging this book! I had such fun- I nearly laughed out loud several times, and KNOW I was reading some parts with a big grin on my face!
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Atria35 wrote:
Instead of doing 1984 (had to return it) I went for Color of Magic , book 1 in the Diskworld series. Wow. Just.... wow. While I have to say that at first the narrative threw me, and the world was wacky enough that I had a hard time putting my head around it, by the fifth chapter I was totally digging this book! I had such fun- I nearly laughed out loud several times, and KNOW I was reading some parts with a big grin on my face!

Believe it or not, the first couple of books (as awesome as they are) are kinda rough compared to the rest of the series. As the Discworld mythos expands, it just keeps getting better. Keep reading, you're gonna love it!:thumb:
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Started Sunrise, the conclusion of the Warriors: Power of Three arc.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kaori » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:48 am

Seems I haven’t read very much recently. I did reread Julius Caesar not too long ago, though. It’s a good play generally, with plenty of memorable lines, but somehow I don’t feel particularly strongly about it. Possibly the most interesting thing about it is watching manipulative people manipulate people—which is sort of intriguing in its own way.

Also read The Cyclops by Euripides, the only extant satyr play, and it was positively underwhelming. It’s the story of Odysseus in the cave of Polyphemus, but with some satyrs and some extra wine thrown in randomly because those are the rules of the genre, apparently.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Well, since Power of Three is the most recently completed arc, here are my thoughts in a handy spoiler box:
[spoiler]I think this was the most dragging series to date, but I still enjoyed it. So far, the second arc was my favorite arc. I didn't really like the ending. Hollyleaf's death was pretty hard-hitting. I really liked her and thought she was one of the best characters. That whole scene where she threatens Leafpool with the deathberries because she discovered that her birth had violated the Warrior code really surprised me.[/spoiler]
I will be starting The Journey, book 2 in the Guardians of Gahoole series either today or tomorrow.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner