Is Manga and ANime really ok for christians?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Lynna » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 pm

airichan623 (post: 1440463) wrote:I heartily agree with you my dear except: how can you say 'in the US' when technically your Canadian? xD

Topaz, there is no such thing as a good Christian, and I think Christian with common sense knows that compared to what we should be, we are all terrible Christians.:hits_self:bang: dont beat urself up. :thumb:

I agree about the messages thing. Most Western media wont really dig very deep, while anime dares to delve into the human condition, and other tough issues.

Exactly. For instance, the Christian 'manga' Serenity is quite good, and a great witness. Try christianmanga.net for more options. :)

I'm not "Technically canadian, I AM canadian! Well...acctually, I am hecforth Declaring myself Britamericanadian, byt since thats so long, and because I could also make it Scotibritamericanadian, let's just say I'm Canadian. And I didn't say "In the US" once! I'm pretty sure I said "In the WEST" ( so likie all western-culture countries you know what I mean) And If I did say In the US (Which I am positive I did not) it is because I really don't have a report on how christians feel about it here, though it's probably the exact same as American Christians.
Okay...I'm going way off topic sorry
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Paul » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 am

Well, I can tell you that I have been a Christian Mangaka Artist for 4 years now in our church. I use the manga/anime medium regularly for teaching children's church and pre-teen sunday school class and it is effective. So my answer would be most definately yes.
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 am

Ahaha, thanks everyone! I know no one was trying to say you're bad if you watch Supernatural. It's just sometimes I don't know if I should like it or not. I stopped watching around season 4 as well, but I'm one of those people who hates to never make it to the end of a series and I kind of want to know how it ends so I'll probably end up watching it again at some point. xD And now I shall drop the subject because it doesn't really have anything to do with this thread.
TopazRaven

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Back to the original topic of if Anime/Manga being "OK" for Christians... It is great as long as it doesn't get in the way of God. In fact there are Christian manga out there (if not anime). Just type in the search, Christian Manga, and you get a ton of hits (although most are speaking of the same mangas). I admit, I haven't had the chance to read them yet, but I am really looking foreward to writing my own Christain manga ^_^
Thank You For Your Time,
DangoDaikazoku
DangoDaikazoku

Postby TWWK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:22 am

There are a range of views on viewing media from a Christian perspective. I found a neat summation that explains how we might view media and anime in particular. I'm not sure whether we can say one way is "right" or "okay" and another isn't - it may have more to do with what you're comfortable with and with your personal relationship with God.

Anyway, here's a link to a post on my site about viewing anime through a Christian lens.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Previous

Return to General