Constantly Afraid Of Going To Hell...

Talk about anything in here.

Constantly Afraid Of Going To Hell...

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

[font="Tahoma"]OK, so I have talked to one or two people on here about this issue of mine already, but as hard as I try I can't shake the feeling. I'm constantly worried that I'm going to hell and when I'm not worrying about me then I'm worrying about family and friends. I have some slight anxiety problems so when I get to worrying to much I make myself sick. I already have a few health problems and this definitely isn't helping. In the end I know that no one can really know if I'm going to hell or not, only God can. So I guess I'll find out once I die. I need to get over this fear in least a little though. My mother keeps telling me God would not want me to be so afraid and worried all the time, but I just don't know.

In all honesty this is why I got back into Christianity. I was reading stuff on a religious website and it scared the snickerdoodles out of me. I feel this is really selfish! I shouldn't be following Christ because I'm afraid! Fear is what brought me back to Christianity, but I'm determined not to let it be the thing that keeps me here. Before I got back into religion I never had fear like this. I'm afraid everything I do, think and like now is wrong. In the end I do love God and I know to follow Him is the right thing to do and I will always be forever grateful to Jesus for dying for our sins. When I think about what He went through for the human race it always amazes me because I know I could never be so brave and selfless.

I'll openly admit I am a coward. I don't think I could ever give up my life for someone else. I really wish I could be a more open and courageous person, but I'm not. I disagree with certain things in the bible at times. I have a very crude sense of humor. I'm a bit of a pervert. I am so very terribly flawed. I don't even really do anything but sit around my house and do chores. I don't have a job at the moment and I don't go to school. I feel like I'm a waste of a life and I don't deserve to go to heaven.
[/font]
TopazRaven

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Do you have IM? PM the info. I'd like to talk with you outside CAA and help you get your thoughts in place :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Peanut » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 pm

First and foremost, you don't deserve to go to heaven (no one does) but you are not a waste of a life. The two also shouldn't be connected, at all. Just because you don't deserve an eternal reward has nothing to do with the value of your life. I realize you probably know or have heard this before however it still needs to be said. In this case, making statements like "I'm a waste of a life" is not only contradictory to this belief but also an insult to something that God believes (though know is probably a better word) about you. If you can't hold that attitude then at the very least (to borrow and change a popular phrase from a popular anime series) don't believe in yourself but believe in Christ who believes in you.

I would also like to encourage you to try and get away from this attitude of fearing hell as your primary reason to follow God. There is nothing wrong with it in terms of being motivation for your own conversion however to actually grow as a believer you need to be able to fully accept God's grace and mercy and not assume that he's keeping a long list of everything you've done wrong. This does not mean that you shouldn't change some of your habits or resist sin but it does mean that you need to change your attitude. I would highly recommend that you talk to a pastor about this and seek counseling. From what you've written here, this sounds like the type of thing that's going to require a heavy dose of hands on guidance and prayer that, frankly, no one on CAA can give you.

Finally, since this thread will probably go this way, I might as well inform you that there are differing beliefs on what hell is and if it actually exists. They all have their merits and support in scripture which, if this thread goes that way, will probably be brought up. All you really need to know is that, no matter what you believe about hell, I don't think its really important to what you are dealing with here. Your attitude and approach to relating with God, on the other hand, is.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby armeck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 pm

your right, morality should not be fear driven. although the bible does say many many times that it is good to be afraid to make God mad. but, you need to calm down, there isn't anything you can do that will make you a better person. i mean, try to do your best of course, but. God knows your heart. and faith is what saves you. now, don't read this and start worrying about your faith (something i have done before) that 's not going to help anything. don't worry about what to do, God will show you, it wont be in audible words. but you can feel it, there was a time i was listening to eminem and i felt like God showed me something, it was a random thought that had nothing to do with the music but, i felt like he showed me something i really needed, God will help you, don't be afraid to be convicted, but if your not, then leave it alone, don't let what other people say get you down. also, don't view Christianity as a religion, that wont get you anywhere, view it as a lifestyle. another thing, you said you feel like you don't deserve to go to heaven, that is right, you and me and every other bloody person on this planet deserves to go to hell. heaven is a gift, God loves you, so he is giving it to you, in return he wants you to love Him... i hope this helps.. also, don't beat yourself up about have a crude sense of humor or being a bit of a pervert be cause i'm that way to and you wouldn't want to make me feel bad would you ;) lol
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm just going to say this here and now. I strongly disagree with the traditional view of hell. In fact I consider it unbiblical.

But putting that aside, realize that no one is perfect or worthy. The importance is the journey. Many times, God encouraged his followers not to be afraid while they were trembling in fear. There is no condemnation for those under the new covenant.

Not my best post in a while. Needless to say, I should be working on papers atm. :lol:
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Peanut wrote:All you really need to know is that, no matter what you believe about hell, I don't think its really important to what you are dealing with here. Your attitude and approach to relating with God, on the other hand, is.

This is trufax.

I don't think you ought to worry about Hell. God is love, and Christ is love. Embody love as Christ preached in the Sermon on the Mount. Keep doing this and you should be fine.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Sounds to me that you're a bit confused on what it means to fear God. You're right in that being afraid of what He might do as punishment or something is not a proper motivation for living in a way that's pleasing to Him. He doesn't want you scared of Him. Fearing Him is being in awe of Who He is and what He's done for you. It's taking the time to reflect on how much He loves you and go (Matrix example) "Whoa".

I'll be praying for you. Don't feel awful for asking all these questions :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

First and foremost, you don't deserve to go to heaven (no one does) but you are not a waste of a life. The two also shouldn't be connected, at all. Just because you don't deserve an eternal reward has nothing to do with the value of your life. I realize you probably know or have heard this before however it still needs to be said. In this case, making statements like "I'm a waste of a life" is not only contradictory to this belief but also an insult to something that God believes (though know is probably a better word) about you. If you can't hold that attitude then at the very least (to borrow and change a popular phrase from a popular anime series) don't believe in yourself but believe in Christ who believes in you.

I know very well that none of us deserve heaven, but I just feel as if it's more so in my case. I have very very low self-esteem. I'm sorry, I can't help it. It seems my only hope then will be to believe in Christ, which I have no problem doing in the least.

I would also like to encourage you to try and get away from this attitude of fearing hell as your primary reason to follow God. There is nothing wrong with it in terms of being motivation for your own conversion however to actually grow as a believer you need to be able to fully accept God's grace and mercy and not assume that he's keeping a long list of everything you've done wrong.

I honestly don't think it's my primary motivation anymore, but it was to begin with and it's obviously still a part of it if I'm so afraid.

I would highly recommend that you talk to a pastor about this and seek counseling. From what you've written here, this sounds like the type of thing that's going to require a heavy dose of hands on guidance and prayer that, frankly, no one on CAA can give you.

Well, my family has been encouraging me to seek therapy of some sort in least. I'm pretty much afraid of everything. Another words I'm a complete basket case.

also, don't beat yourself up about have a crude sense of humor or being a bit of a pervert be cause i'm that way to and you wouldn't want to make me feel bad would you lol

Certainly not! xD Good to know I'm not alone then. :)

Meanwhile now I'd like to thank everyone for their kindness, understanding and patiance. You've all given me some very good advice and a heck of a lot to think about.
TopazRaven

Postby goldenspines » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1440815) wrote:I know very well that none of us deserve heaven, but I just feel as if it's more so in my case. I have very very low self-esteem. I'm sorry, I can't help it. It seems my only hope then will be to believe in Christ, which I have no problem doing in the least.

Then believe in Christ and God and don't downgrade His sacrifice for you just because you think you are more terrible than everyone else. I can relate to low self esteem because I've struggled with it my whole life, but is God not powerful enough to love you?

I apologize for sounding harsh, it just is disheartening to see people beat themselves up over thinking they are "unfixable" or "worse than everyone else" because it's so untrue. It doesn't matter if you actively and purposefully sin and you break every rule in the book every single day of your life. In God's eyes, you aren't un-savable. He loves everyone the same no matter what their personality or background.

Therefore, I encourage you to seek Him and follow His guidance.
goldenspines

Postby klomp123 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:53 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I used to have the same feeling. I constantly felt like I was going to hell because I'd made a big mistake that year and it wouldn't go away. I just couldn't stop thinking about it and I could barely eat it was weighing so heavily on me. I'm guessing it's a similar feeling for you. Mistakes eating away and just not being sure of where you're going and feeling guilty for wondering and being scared.
But you know what? I found out that it's okay if you make a mistake. That's why Jesus died! He paid for our sins with his blood and death. We are made righteous through him, no matter what. We are saved by grace.
God created the law so that we would know why we need a savior, so that we would know how impossible it is to earn our way to heaven. The original law that put in place was and is impossible to uphold. That's why the Israelites had to sacrifice lambs and doves and cows and whatnot. A spotless animal's death in place of their own.
No animal can pay the price for sin though, and God knew that. It was a short term fix, until the time was right to send Jesus. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice, fulfilled the law, and paid for everyone's sins, for all time.
Every single sin is paid for. All of them. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice, and he paid the tab.
You are righteous through Jesus because he paid for your sins. That's it. Free gift, no strings attached. Nothing you've got to do to earn it, nothing you have to do to prove yourself.
You know how in the prodigal son the father runs to his son? Something people don't usually remember/mention is that the punishment for a rebellious child, according to the law, was death. The prodigal son should've been killed for what he did, but his father ran to him, and gave him a ring and a robe and threw him a feast.
That's God. We screw up, but he waits for us to come back to him, and when he sees us in the distance, even before we come back and give him all these excuses for how we can fix what we broke, he runs to us and puts a robe of righteousness and a ring of authority and throws a feast for us. All because we came back, before we even get a chance to state our motives.
The devil wants to use the law against us to make us feel guilty and unrighteous. Sin is his snare, and guilt is his primary weapon.
Romans 8:1 American King James Version
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
See that part that's underlined? The translators added that because they couldn't believe that the original text ended at Jesus. The original goes like this:
Romans 8:1 English Standard Version
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
That's it. Fin. End of story. No earning, no proving.
Jesus wants to lift you up so that you can live your life free of the bondage of sin and guilt.
God loves you, and he never wants you to go to hell.

As for your flaws, I highly suggest praying about them. Ask God to help you improve yourself, and ask Him to help you understand His word. He'll show you how if you ask Him.
klomp123

Postby Lynna » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Luke 7: 36 , the Word of God wrote:And there was a woman in the city who was a sinner]
And
Matthew 9:10-13, The Word of God wrote:Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “]
And Even as he was dying
Luke 23:39-43 wrote:One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

So as you can see, Jesus was constantly with all kinds of people, not just the good ones. And if You think about it, God promised us all that if we believed in him we won't perish, right? Do you think, after believing and trusting in him, God would allow you, His Precious and Beloved child, to go to hell?
I didn't think so.
Truly, It is by grace that we are saved, and The Blood of Jesus can cover every sin, no matter how great. And I'm really glad of that!
Also, EVERYONE is terribly flawed! Yes, some people seem to be better, but God lookes into their hearts, while we look at what we can see. Even the nicest, purest person you have ever met has sinned, and even if you break the least sin it's like you broke them all
A final note:
1 John 4:18 wrote:There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

I hope this helps
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Hiryu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Well, if you've received Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you have nothing to worry about.

We should fear god, but not in a way that you think. More of a respectful feeling than a "nothing to do with it" feeling. He could destroy everything in an instant if he wanted to. His power is limitless, but so is his love.

You're not a basket case.
Hiryu

Postby Furen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Of course people do, they think that, I have but knowing I'm saved is all I can really rely on, so of course a bit, but pretty much, I'm not worried, I do however worry for the salvation of my friends
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Thank you so much everyone. I do feel a lot better now. I've been looking at everything the wrong way it seems. I'm going to pray tonight and ask God to forgive me for my foolishness and to help me see things in the way they should be seen. I know he'll help me. xD Though, this doesn't take away my worry for certain friends and family members. My best friend I worry for a lot. I asked her if she had faith in God and her response was she really didn't know. I know I can't change her mind if she doesn't want her mind changed, but I wish I could help her become stronger in her faith. Then again, perhaps I need to become stronger in my own faith first.
TopazRaven

Postby Furen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:52 pm

when someone says "I don't know, that is usually a sign of needing to figure it out. Just a suggestion.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Yes, but I don't think she plans to try and figure it out. I'm not sure because I'm not her, but she doesn't put God to much thought. She even told me she doesn't think he takes part in our lives. That he just watches us and that's it. I don't really think that's true, but that's her view on things. She also told me she doesn't pray because the only time she used to pray was when she wanted something and she doesn't want praying to be about asking God for something. I think maybe she's just confused then?
TopazRaven

Postby Beau Soir » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 pm

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:18)

With the verse above, I'm not singling you out, because each of us fears at some time or another and all of us have flaws and downfalls. But what I'm trying to say is, keep your eyes set on Jesus.. He cleans up the dirty things we're ashamed of and makes us new. The spirit of fear is not of God and it drags us down (“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” 2 Timothy 1:7), and self-loathing is exactly what the enemy wants you to embrace.

Personally I really do think the advice that others have given is good, but remember to look to the Bible and what God's telling you over what people say (including myself.) God is the ultimate authority.

Now after that, I'm in the same boat as you- jobless (or I will be as soon as my 2 weeks after my resignation are over) and not attending school. This seems like an opportune time to let God show you His majesty and to open yourself to what He has to teach you. I can say from personal experience that God has done amazing things in my life just because I opened up to Him. It's a journey, but if you submit to Him and His will then He will take care of you.
So if you're tired of feeling the way you do now, which I'm guessing you are because this thread exists, pray about it... think about it, ask God to make your ways His ways.

And also... your mother is right. :)

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 am

TopazRaven (post: 1440947) wrote:She even told me she doesn't think he takes part in our lives. That he just watches us and that's it. I don't really think that's true, but that's her view on things. She also told me she doesn't pray because the only time she used to pray was when she wanted something and she doesn't want praying to be about asking God for something. I think maybe she's just confused then?

I have some good reasoning to believe in the 'watching our lives and not participating'- PM if you'd like details.

But she's onto something, since praying shouldn't also be about asking God for things, it's also about thanking God for what you have.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 am

Atria35 (post: 1440991) wrote:I have some good reasoning to believe in the 'watching our lives and not participating'- PM if you'd like details.

But she's onto something, since praying shouldn't also be about asking God for things, it's also about thanking God for what you have.

Sure, I wouldn't mind a discussion. The point is though that she never prays. I'm not always asking God for stuff when I pray. Sometimes I'm just saying hi! Or thanking him. xD
TopazRaven

Pascal's Theological View

Postby Dante » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:52 am

I may gain flak for it, but I feel I have a right to my opinion as much as everyone else. In my personal theology, I have struggled greatly with a related question "Does God put people in hell?". I've have thought on this for a long time, and with every passing day, I conclude more and more that he does not. This philosophy that I've built leads to the conclusion that using fear as the driving force of the church (and the hatred of our humanity), is not only wrong, but could be considered a work of evil - in which man equates God and the devil. Furthermore, the conclusions of the philosophy rejects the concept of our humanity and the humanity of humans in general being worthy of hatred and disgust - instead, humans and our humanity in general should only be treated with love. The arguments I went through go something like this,

1) It cannot be the will of God to throw man into Hell.

ARGUMENT:

[INDENT]
  • If Heaven and hell are the only two choices for the after-life and God desired to throw man into hell, would the devil want to place man in Heaven?
  • But we know devil comes to kill and destroy our lives, if we look at his personality, it is the devil that desires man to go to hell. It is not the devil that warns of us sin, nor the devil that man turns to in his dire hour of need - it is God that we turn to, God upon whom we depend, it is God through Christ that "saves us".
  • So God cannot desire to throw man into Hell, for that would imply that God was aligned with the devil - and he would be fighting against himself by sending Christ (by whose knowledge we know that a house divided cannot stand - hence man would not go to hell, for a house built of God and the devil would surely fall). I shouldn't even have to say that God cannot be aligned with the devil, we know all to well of Christ's feelings on such matters. Therefore, by means of proof by contradiction, it is impossible for God to desire to throw man into hell, that is the desire of the devil.
[/INDENT]

2) If God were to throw man into Hell, it would be equated to the loss of good over evil.

ARGUMENT:

[INDENT]
  • If one were to go to Heaven and find that a friend or family member had been thrown to hell by God, I believe it would be tantamount to the complete loss of good over evil. Evil's victory would be absolute.
  • For if at the end of the world, God says "what you have done to the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you have done unto me." for trifle matters such as not feeding them when they were hungry, clothing them when they were naked or visiting them when they were in prison ect., wouldn't anyone in Heaven have equal right to say that whatever God has done to the least of their loved ones he has done unto them (like burning them for all eternity as some people portray it)? Then, if surely we were to become closer and closer to perfection in Heaven, or if we were to even "achieve" perfection as some sects believe, would that not imply that we would feel as though we were also thrown into hell even while in Heaven? And if one of us feels as such, won't all of us soon enough by interaction?
[/INDENT]

There are of course, those that can find support for the thesis that God does desire to throw man into hell. A verse here or there, but overall I do not believe the picture fits, I don't believe it can ever stand without complete contradiction of God and his actions throughout time. So this brings about it's own moral issue.

[INDENT]A) If you don't believe God throws people into hell, you risk not being strong enough about the argument as some may point out.

B) But if you accuse God of throwing people into hell, and that is not his will, but the will of the enemy, then do you not also claim that God is of the devil?[/INDENT]

But the first concern cannot truly hold, because fear is not a valid foundation for faith. If we are to lead our lives based on our fear, our fear of pain, our fear of hell, our fear of God, whatever it may be - then fear has become our false god. Then should any new valid fear arise in us, we shall act to escape it at all costs. If ordered on pain, that we should kill others, we kill. If threatened with the thought of losing our jobs or lie, we lie. Fear is not a good master, for it can serve both good and evil, and should the Church of God be built on a foundation of fear, so too will it fall.

Nor can we hate humanity as "completely depraved" and "evil"? for if the Church hates our humanity, how would we save it? If we stand against ourselves to condemn us to hell, how can we be saved? If the church is the body of Christ and condemns man, than what is the value of the cross?

It has become therefore, clearer and clear to me that the only basis for our faith is not to focus on hell, or the fear of it, God or anything else, but to acquire a brave new love. Only through the churches love of man, themselves and God (and his love of us and humanity) do all the pieces of the New Testament make any sense. Hell may exist, but it is not for those in Christ, whose mercy is unlimited for he looks at us in love and not in judgment. We don't have "x-number of lives" like some video game, where after we shall go to Hell for failing. For every new life adds more sin to the world, yet God still says they can be saved, therefore his mercy is unbounded. God stands in the defense of us and humanity, not against it, and with man and God joined in alignment, what devil could ever prevail against us? Not even death has any power against our union with our Father. We shall forever be united and no harm shall ever truly fall upon us.

Further I cannot imagine God creating hell, for I do not believe he desires for man to exist there. If anything it is the result of a Christian medieval world that also brought us the inquisition (where the church itself tortured human beings - not an institution representing God, but more a tool of the devil to ensnare and destroy humans). As such, I have hope, even for those who do go to whatever type of Hell does exist, that they too may one day join with God and turn against the one who has been their adversary all along.

And that (perhaps TL;DR), is my opinion and theology on the matter as of late. I am certain that many will stand against it, but it is how my heart leads me, so I cannot turn against it. For I do not hear condemnation from my Christ, but only faith, hope and love. I hock everything else based on words to others paying too much attention to ink and Bible thumpers and not enough to the voice of Christ within - for that is how I have seen it in my faith.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 am

Pascal, I'm going to hear and now show my support for your argument.

That was awesome.
Atria35

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:24 am

Your argument addresses more then just hell, so I'm going to treat it as such Pascal. There are a number of theological misconceptions within it that just don't sit well with me. First of all, its a rejection of the entire idea of justice and an eternal judgment which predates Christianity and is, in fact, very Jewish. If you want I can pull not just verses from the Bible but from various other extra-Biblical and pictures of the Mount of Olives to prove that the Jews hold and have held to the idea of a judgment of the dead where the wicked are punished and the righteous are rewarded. Its true that Hell is not mentioned but I get the feeling that you wouldn't be a fan of annhilationism or any other theory that still has a form of punishment set at the end of an individual's life. I don't think throwing out years of thought (and/or revelation if your standing where I am) and tradition which does have a decent bit of support. So, unless you can prove God revealed this too you, I'm going to stick with the guys whose writings seem to be inspired.

Second, if there is no punishment/reward at the end of life then why should we bother being moral or even follow God in this life? My problem with Universalism is the same as my problem with Atheism and that's that, ultimately, if a Universalist is right or an Atheist is right then it really doesn't mean anything. In the case of Universalism, even if I decide to make my own religion where I sacrifice small children by pealing off their skin and feeding them to dogs while they are still alive, I can still end up with Heaven (though some Universalists will say that I'll have to go through a purgatory like state to do so). It's because of this that whenever someone argues universalism or Atheism to me, it just seems like they are trying to stroke their egos and prove to themselves that they are right. In their cases, they really do have to be right, while for me it doesn't really matter. But now I'm just ranting.

Third, I don't think you've thought about this creatively enough. For instance, CS Lewis (and many Anglicans) have solved the same problem by pushing that the offer of salvation is available throughout eternity. Meaning, Hell is not necessarily the end unless the individual chooses it to be.

With all this being said, again, none of this matters in TopazRaven's situation since with an adjust attitude, her fear will go away. After all, I believe in Hell and I'm not driven by a fear of eternal punishment. So it is possible.

Peanut

Postby Midori » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 am

I was hoping this thread would not turn into an argument about whether or not hell exists. We're not going to close it right now, but if it gets any more uncomfortable, we will, and since the OP's concerns have been answered, we won't regret it. Make sure that you remember that whether you believe in hell is not necessary to your salvation, and is thus not any more important than you make it.

Remember your humility and grace, everyone.
Midori

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:41 pm

With all due respect, who's saying it's uncomfortable? I think this is a great exchange of ideas. If our faith is important to us, it is imperative that we dialogue about these things so we can have a wider grasp of knowledge when it comes to Christianity.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Dante » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm

I just wish to add that I am aware of your opinion Peanut*. It should definitely be noted, with very due respect, that your perspective that hell represents a kind of justice is very popular one and I can at least appreciate why some people would support it (especially given the kind of thing you described in your post). I will not attempt to counter as a forum argument was never my intention. I am simply enjoying the privilege of presenting my own religious philosophy.

Thus, other then re-asserting a portion of my previous post in response to your claim that I lack creativity, I wish to leave this topic in the spirit of peace.

" wrote:Fourth, I don't think you've thought about this creatively enough. For instance, CS Lewis (and many Anglicans) have solved the same problem by pushing that the offer of salvation is available throughout eternity. Meaning, Hell is not necessarily the end unless the individual chooses it to be.

" wrote:As such, I have hope, even for those who do go to whatever type of Hell does exist, that they too may one day join with God and turn against the one who has been their adversary all along.

I very much meant something very similar to what you presented in that quote that I have posted here Peanut. It may differ slightly, you may even declare the difference is critical, but they are indeed very similar in that regard (even though it's hardly the most creative solution, nor full original, as I was aware before this of C.S. Lewis' quote that "Hell was locked not from the outside in, but from the inside out", or something along those lines).

*For those in the dark, Peanut and I have actually discussed this matter via PM in the not-to-distant past. I am compelled to note that he is not a theologian to be taken lightly, he majors in the subject in fact. So I deeply respect his understanding of the scriptures, even if I feel that I must disagree in some facets of our theology. Theology wouldn't be fun if everyone agreed on everything though, would it?
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Pascal (post: 1441047) wrote:I very much meant something very similar to what you presented in that quote that I have posted here Peanut. It may differ slightly, you may even declare the difference is critical, but they are indeed very similar in that regard (even though it's hardly the most creative solution, nor full original, as I was aware before this of C.S. Lewis' quote that "Hell was locked not from the outside in, but from the inside out", or something along those lines).

I see what happened. The full context of your quote is this

Pascal wrote:Further I cannot imagine God creating hell, for I do not believe he desires for man to exist there. If anything it is the result of a Christian medieval world that also brought us the inquisition (where the church itself tortured human beings - not an institution representing God, but more a tool of the devil to ensnare and destroy humans). As such, I have hope, even for those who do go to whatever type of Hell does exist, that they too may one day join with God and turn against the one who has been their adversary all along.

The first part of this quotation, it appears that you are saying "there is no hell." Obviously this wasn't your intent but the way you've worded it gives that appearance. A better way to put it might have been to insert " as far as our modern conception depicts it" behind "Further I cannot imagine God creating hell..."

Pascal wrote:Theology wouldn't be fun if everyone agreed on everything though, would it?

Maybe not fun, but it would make things a lot simpler.

Peanut

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 pm

First of all, let me commend your openness and honesty. Your post was very brave, so I don't actually think you're a coward.

Anxiety can be a serious issue if left untreated. Being afflicted w/ it myself, I can completely sympathize with how you are feeling. Though my anxiety did not concern the afterlife, it did have to do w/ certain religious/moral issues.

If you continue to struggle, I would encourage therapy (and any medication therapists prescribe) for at least a couple of sessions (though ideally more) to see if it is for you. It helps me a TREMENDOUS amount, and it certainly shouldn't have any sort of attached stigma in this day and age. At the very least, some counseling from a pastor/priest that you trust is very important for you because your (no disrespect) ill-formed conscience and battle-weary will are not the best guides to easing your mental/emotional burdens.

I also want to address your initial comments, not about hell so much as about your anxiety as expressed by the following
TopazRaven (post: 1440787) wrote:[font="Tahoma"]as hard as I try I can't shake the feeling. I'm constantly worried that I'm going to hell and when I'm not worrying about me then I'm worrying about family and friends. I have some slight anxiety problems so when I get to worrying to much I make myself sick. ...I really wish I could be a more open and courageous person, but I'm not. I disagree with certain things in the bible at times. I have a very crude sense of humor. I'm a bit of a pervert. I am so very terribly flawed. I don't even really do anything but sit around my house and do chores. I don't have a job at the moment and I don't go to school. I feel like I'm a waste of a life and I don't deserve to go to heaven.[/font]
Here is a link. I am a practicing Catholic, and this link is to a Catholic website. Letting you know up front b/c that bothers some people. However, even non-Catholics such as yourself who struggle in the way that you do to read this page because I think it describes your (and my) affliction to a tee. If you read it and like it, PM me and we can talk or do some digging for more info.

CAA is praying for you!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Midori » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Well, I said I was uncomfortable, but that just meant that I was afraid it would turn into a big fight, but I trust you guys that it won't.

Actually, I just want to try my own hand at arguing my viewpoint (which I think differs from that of my own denomination). Well, here's how I think of hell.

What kind of people are said to go to hell? Godless, evil people. What are godless, evil people like? They tend to be miserable all the time. I'm pretty sure that if there was a place where all evil people were gathered, if it were not hell it would be pretty close to it.

(EDIT: I'm not saying that miserable people are evil; I'm saying that evil people make themselves miserable. There are plenty of people who experience great misery despite being good people--like Job, or even Christ himself.)

Next, I'm pretty sure God gives people the choice whether to seek him or not. It's a big long debate about whether free will exists, but I'm pretty sure it does. I'm assuming free will as an axiom here. Anyway, if God saves everyone, then people wouldn't have much choice about whether to be saved or not, therefore I don't think that God saves those who do not accept him.

So then, if people who do not accept Christ have an afterlife, and it is not heaven, then it must be hell, because these are people who are naturally miserable by themselves. God wouldn't have to punish them; they'd punish themselves.

But I'm not so sure they'd have an afterlife anyway. Let me quote a few scriptures:
John 3:16 (NIV) wrote:For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Romans 6:23 (NIV) wrote:For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
It seems to me that people who do not accept Christ will perish. Perish means you're dead. Forever. Nothing left for you.

Mind you, eternal death seems just as unappealing to me as eternal suffering; maybe even more so.

(EDIT: My post may seem pessimistic here; let me reiterate everyone else's point that we should be focusing on the eternal awesomeness offered to us by God, rather than whatever happens if we reject him, which nobody's entirely sure of.)
Midori

Postby That Dude » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm going to try and not re-hash what people have already said, just remember when it comes to Christs sacrifice on your behalf remember that he not only died for you, but also for; rapists, murderers, pedophiles, genocide leaders, people who made it their lives to persecute christians (Paul for example), anyway just remember that Christ died for people who are worse than you'll ever be. Sola Gratia! By Grace Alone, Through God Alone!
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:22 pm

i belive hell is real, because Jesus talked about it. and he said it was eternal. beyond that,i don't have many set beliefs about it...
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Next

Return to General