Afraid to Speak Your Mind?

Talk about anything in here.

Afraid to Speak Your Mind?

Postby Kunoichi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:53 am

Was just wondering for the sake of my own curiosity, who was afraid to speak their mind? Whether that is on here, in chat rooms, on a phone, in class etc.

I'd have to say Yes for me. Granted is a lot due to my own insecurities and fear of being judged, especially in church settings etc.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby KougaHane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 am

I'd say yes for the most part in real life, but on the internet no, because I can hide behind the fact that no one on the internet really knows me. It's a bad habit of mine I'm trying to break, because I know my fear stems from a serious low self-esteem issue which causes me to believe that I can't say anything intelligent at all.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:52 am

Yes, because I know that I have differering opinions about things than a number of members here. And I don't want to get a strike for saying so, or isolate myself since I disagree with some of the members that I've gotten to know better than others.
Atria35

Postby Okami » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 am

Not so much online, but certainly in the "real world," yeah. Some people I'm okay with, I can say whatever, whenever. To others, I can tend to say a lot that I would want to say to them to someone else, but never to that person. I'm struggling to work with it and speak up when needed, though, because some situations have gone too far, too long, with myself being trampled. I'm tired of being insecure.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Dante » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am

I'm not afraid to speak my mind. Of course that's not the same as not adding my opinion where I feel it's not desired :P.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Midori » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 am

I'm not generally afraid to speak my mind; often it seems that way because I don't have a mind to speak.
Midori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 am

In real life, I don't speak up much. On the internet, it depends on how strongly I feel about the topic at hand.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 am

No. But I usually don't speak my mind anyways because in my limited experience, just about everyone is dead set in their opinions and I'm not the sort of person who carries enough weight to change them (not to mention they prolly aren't interested in my pov anyways... XP). It's obvious though when someone is being open to suggestion, then I do speak my mind. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm not afraid to, not at all, I just know when not to exhaust any effort to have a discussion with ignorance. Usually, anyway.

Then there are the fairly serious topics that I don't like discussing despite my strong opinions about them. Only when a hint is given that the other person shares my opinion and/or is open-minded is when I bother to speak my mind.

Which unfortunately doesn't happen very often on this board.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 pm

it really depends, but for the most part, no. i am very honest. i do joke a lot, but when i am serious, i say what i mean and i mean what i say
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:37 pm

At times, yes ^^ I'm one who tries to avoid conflict, so if I know what I have to say may cause such thing, I won't say it.. Although, it depends on how strongly I feel about something. At times, it's just that I get ahead of myself at times and my words get all jumbled, so I end up not posting lol
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Atria35 (post: 1440568) wrote:Yes, because I know that I have {differing} opinions about things than a number of members here. And I don't want to get a strike for saying so...

Same goes here.
On the other hand, I can say some things about my likings and interests that I don't talk to other people about in person because of the anonymity (or "anomnimity" as I often say).
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Whenever I see a big issue come up in a debate, I prefer to watch and see what people on both sides say. One reason is, I think if I spoke up I'd be shot down pretty quickly. Counters seem to only occur to me days after somebody says something. XD The other reason is, I like watching the debate. I like making my own observations, and judging for myself which perspective is right or wrong. It's nice because my Dad's not peeking over my shoulder saying "See what that guy's saying??"

Not that I'm brainwashed or something, but it's nice to watch or read something without one very specific interpretation hanging over your head. XD

So, I guess I'm partially afraid to speak my mind, but on the other hand I like just watching what others have to say.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Ella Edric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm

For the most part Im not. But it also depends on the situation. But mostly Im not. Im a very honest person. Especially when it comes to my faith. It also depends on my situation... If i was in China with a bunch of soldiers with guns and someone said something offensive about Christians Im not sure it would be worth it to say something and get myself shot. lol
Ella Edric

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Very seldom do I not speak my mind, I think people should be honest, even if it hurts, that's just what I believe.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Gee I wonder, considering I'm now pretty much enrolled in college because the person on the other end of the phone was like "Hey how would you like to go to this college seems great huh let's work on your application now" and I just kind of was like "Uh huh sure sounds good" because I didn't have the willpower to say "Wait hold on a sec let me think about this."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby That Dude » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm more afraid to speak my mind online than in real life. I can be afraid a bit, but generally I'm not.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:37 pm

It really depends on the scenario for me. XD If I'm with close friends or family, I don't have a problem speaking my mind. But if I'm around people who are intimidating to me, I am far less likely to speak up. XD It sort of depends on the situation and how important the things I want to say are, as well as what I think the results of what I say will be. XD In other words, I end up thinking a lot about the things that I want to say before I say them--maybe a little too much. XD

That said, I'm always outspoken on the interwebs, if only because I'm able to think about things before I write them out. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Strafe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:43 pm

My entire life is one large artificial pretension that schemes and claws for positive attention. If I ever spoke my mind, there exists the chance that it could be denied or disagreed with, and I am terrified of what would happen in that case. I fear that my plans would be destroyed if I voiced them to people in authority. I fear that whatever image I uphold would be shattered as soon as I show my thoughts to my peers. On the internet, I am infinitely more pretentious, as I want to make myself appear a certain way since I am unhappy with my real self. Maybe I would find acceptance if people saw a good, though fake, side of me. And this whole sob story is pretentious too because it is seeking attention. Ignore it please.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby Hiryu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Some things are best left not spoken.
Hiryu

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Strafe (post: 1440664) wrote:My entire life is one large artificial pretension that schemes and claws for positive attention. If I ever spoke my mind, there exists the chance that it could be denied or disagreed with, and I am terrified of what would happen in that case. I fear that my plans would be destroyed if I voiced them to people in authority. I fear that whatever image I uphold would be shattered as soon as I show my thoughts to my peers. On the internet, I am infinitely more pretentious, as I want to make myself appear a certain way since I am unhappy with my real self. Maybe I would find acceptance if people saw a good, though fake, side of me. And this whole sob story is pretentious too because it is seeking attention. Ignore it please.

That sounds miserable. Life's too short for that kind of thing. Be yourself, dude.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby SailorDove » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:29 pm

To speak or not to speak, that is an ongoing conundrum. Whether tis nobler to use discretion with one's own thoughts or to boldly proclaim what one believes one ought to say, I must confess I know not.

But, my dad's father, (former police officer), had a saying, "Words are like bullets, you can't take them back."
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 am

Hahaha. I'm often way too open. Often times I need to shut up. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 am

I try and live by the fact no one knows how much of an idiot you are if you keep quiet. And even when I do know something factual, I often get out argued XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Midori » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 am

I like this thread, in terms of being able to get to know everyone better. Let me address a few points here.
Atria35 wrote:Yes, because I know that I have differering opinions about things than a number of members here. And I don't want to get a strike for saying so
I'd like to announce that you won't get a strike just for having different opinions, even if everyone disagrees with you. Having different opinions is part of what makes humanity versatile. You will get strikes for starting fights with those opinions, however. So as long as you are respectful of other people's opinions, and are not so proud of your own opinions that you mercilessly reject all others, you won't get a strike. I'm not saying that you won't have to worry about other members arguing with you, I'm saying that you won't have to worry about being punished by the moderators. This brings me to the next point (one that's more personal to me rather than moderator business):
Rusty Claymore wrote:But I usually don't speak my mind anyways because in my limited experience, just about everyone is dead set in their opinions and I'm not the sort of person who carries enough weight to change them.
Shao Feng-Li wrote:And even when I do know something factual, I often get out argued
This is the unfortunate truth of the internet, or rather of society in general. In an argument, the person who's better at arguing wins, not the person who's right. So many people are so dead-set in their opinions and closed-minded that they won't let you get a word in edgewise. I've felt this way so many times in all sorts of situations before. We're trying to make this website a place where this doesn't happen so much, and we are better about this than much of the internet, but it's one of the hardest things to prevent. In fact it's one of the reasons we disallowed theological debates when we did. Our changing of that rule comes with a great hope that all of us can be open-minded and not get into fights. I'm not sure how well it's working, but I can see some good coming out of it I think.

This is a personal plea to everyone who is a trained debater, who's taken argument classes and has studied writing, and those who are naturally persuasive: please be tolerant of those like me who are not as clever with words and persuasion; please let us speak what we believe without making us feel bad for saying it.
Midori

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm going to say this as respectfully as I can. I don't say this with malice, but just so I guess we can all check ourselves. And I'm not exempt from this for sure.
Midori wrote:So many people are so dead-set in their opinions and closed-minded that they won't let you get a word in edgewise.

I fully agree with Midori here. And I will also say that I see this A LOT here on CAA. Especially when it comes to matters of faith, politics, and other stuff.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Midori (post: 1440792) wrote:In an argument, the person who's better at arguing wins, not the person who's right.

So many people are so dead-set in their opinions and closed-minded that they won't let you get a word in edgewise.

These two things are not the same thing.

This website is a forum and is (or should be) primarily used as a place for inducing discussion and discourse. The problem is not that people are better at arguing and in fact this should not be a problem. The problem is in the second thing, where people aren't arguing in good faith.

The reason why the person who is arguing always wins even when they're not necessarily right isn't because they're shutting people down who aren't able to argue. It's because they're able to present their ideas and arguments in a clear and logical fashion. If you are unclear or don't make sense, how can I consider what you're saying? Should I be guessing at what you're trying to say and put words into your mouth?

I will call someone out if they say something that makes no sense and I expect the same to happen for me.

I don't think we want to tolerate poor argumentation. Rather, we should be encouraging people to be making their points more clearly and get better at discussing stuff. What I think you mean is that you want the tone and tenor of discussion to change, because being presenting well thought out arguments and preserving a civil environment aren't mutually exclusive.

Oh yeah, also, I talk much more on the interwebs because that is what interwebs are for.
blkmage

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm actually really surprised at the amount of discussion this created. I have to say I see points I agree and disagree with. I think its "okay" for people to discuss ideas, viewpoints etc and perhaps one person will seem to have things more "logically sound" than another. Doesn't mean the person is right or wrong or that there is even a "winner".

I thought about this topic more and do find I speak my opinion more when I am in person than when I'm on forums etc. I do not know why that is except that usually I am having discussions with people I know and while they may not agree with me, they respect the validity of my opinion.

Then again (and this is not aimed here but rather other sites I've been too) perhaps I have met way to many online trolls :/
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby samurai10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:42 pm

It depends on two things. one, Whether that person who i disagree with is a friend or a stranger, and two, how strongly i feel about the topic being discussed.

total strangers i am so not afraid to speak my mind. but with friends, i'm more hesitant, because i'm scared that if i argue with them, they won't like me any more, and will stop being my friend. with friends, i tend to argue gently. but with strangers, i can and will argue fiercely.

then again, i'm a total dweeb at debating, so, sometimes, i just let it pass. :P
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Recently, I've tried to be very careful about how I come across when sharing my beliefs and opinions. Does it really matter if I "win" or save face if it comes at the expense of someone else, or if I don't convince anyone of my position? Can I really say that I am willing and able to offer people real love and help when they need it if I can't even be bothered to keep what I say in check?
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Next

Return to General